Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

IanCaw posted:

I hate to post with another "What are your experiences?" type question, but, I'm not sure a better way to word this:

How many of you asked your SO's father (or had your father asked, in the other direction) for "permission" to get engaged? My s.o.'s family is incredibly close-knit (mine is reasonably close, but nowhere near the same level) and it really seems like while I could get away with not asking the parents' permission, it would be much smarter in the long term if I do ask.

Is it worth asking permission in today's world if it seems like the right thing to do?

It is a bit of a crapshoot. How tight are you with the dad, how likely is being negotiated for like cattle likely to wind up your lady?

I considered it, but since her pop and I aren't really tight, and she'd have some arch words to say about the patriarchy I decided against.

In the right situation, it could potentially be classy, but unless you know it will be, it probably won't.

To clarify, at one time weddings were between effectively families to consolidate land and power. Now that weddings are between two individuals in love, rather than strategic financial decisions, you almost certainly ought to ask her first and only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

teamgod posted:

Is it normal to just invite family and not friends? Looking at my list I've got about 22 people just on my side of the family alone. And is it normal to get your guests to pay for their lodgings? I feel bad but if I have to pay for them to come up here it's gonna leave me broke.

And another question: does the actual wedding ceremony include whoever the hell wants to come, and then only your picks come to the reception/dinner afterwards? Because I don't mind if people show up to watch us get married, but I can't feed/supply booze to a poo poo ton of people I see maybe once a year.

Feeding and entertaining even a couple hundred people doesn't have to be expensive to be fun. A wedding reception is a party, for you, your friends, and your family. You don't have to have the ice sculpture, the brass quintet, the chocolate fountain, and the shrimp cocktail. So get a couple kegs, some picnic tables, your college buddy DJ, and some party subs, and you and yours will have a great time for 15$ a head.

Further, party subs are tastier than mid-range "chicken or fish" style catering.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 8, 2008

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

teamgod posted:

Oh, another question: when do the pictures of myself and the bride get taken? Do we do all the pics AFTER the wedding at a specified location, while all the guests either sit around and wait or show up at the shoot? I guess they'll have to show up there with us to be included in group shots right?

Some of each. A photography package will probably include some pre-game shooting, bride getting ready, and suchlike. The actual ceremony, and then trying to get decent candid shots at the reception of at least the grandparents and the good looking friends for the album.

Usually there is an hour or so between the end of the wedding and the beginning of the reception, to let people get to the venue, go to their hotels to change, take care of last minute details, and so on. So the photographer will probably grab you, your spouse, and your wedding party and parents for formal shots in that span.

One thing that isn't standard, but I really liked was getting a big picture of everybody who showed up standing in front of the church with us, and that'd be something that would get done as soon as you're done with the receiving line on the way out of the church, in order to let the guests have a minute to get ready for the reception.

Also, outdoor barbecue is the way to go. We got the university show gardens for 5 hours, as well as table and chair rental for 80 people, and the option of tents if the weather wasn't going to be good for something under 500$.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 9, 2008

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Gravitee posted:

What is everyone's opinion of a big group photo of the whole bridal party, family and guests after the ceremony? I've seen some before and they really look neat. Is it hard to coordinate?

I don't think I want a receiving line. I understand the importance of thanking everyone who came, but I always feel awkward no matter how well I know the couple. The cocktail hour starts immediately after the ceremony and I figure we'll finish pictures during that time and make our entrance between cocktails and dinner. I think I might go around to each table after dinner to talk to people.

The everybody photo is the only wedding photo hanging in our place. We didn't have a receiving line, but we did go down the aisle letting everybody out, and collecting hugs and kind words, and I think maybe the ushers caught people on the way out the door for the photo. It was practical and quick enough for the 80 or so people we had, and sitting down waiting for your turn is probably more comfortable and organized than waiting in the hallway to shake hands and kiss cheeks.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

squirrellypoo posted:

I think a picnic reception is a fantastic idea. One of our first dates ever was a picnic in Greenwich Park, and ever year we try to go and have a picnic for our "anniversary". But planning anything outside in England is just asking for trouble... :(

Agreed it sounds awesome, however you'll probably want to spring for renting tables and chairs. As cute as throwing a couple dozen tablecloths on the ground seems, if you're inviting grand-people, or really pretty much anybody over 35, sitting on the ground is gonna get old well before the party is over. I think pavilion rental with bench seating is probably under 50$ per event at most park places.