Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

j4on posted:

Another is the food: a buffet saves a lot of money, as does more beer and less wine.
Considering the costs of alcohol it might be better to pay on a per-glass basis.

Cheapest option is a cash bar from the start.

Next option is everyone gets a glass when they arrive, and if they want any more then have a cash bar.

You want to spend more? You could have a bar tab of a few hundred, and then a cash bar after that.

Most expensive is open bar, drink as much as you want. Considering that is typically about $35 per person, and an entire bottle of wine is $15 - $20, that is far overpriced.

At the moment I'm thinking of having all you can drink for the VIPs (Grandparents and Wedding Party) and either a single drink paid drink each, or a bar tab.

Why should I go into crazy debt so you can get pissed on my dime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

j4on posted:

Another is the food: a buffet saves a lot of money, as does more beer and less wine.
Considering the costs of alcohol it might be better to pay on a per-glass basis.

Cheapest option is a cash bar from the start.

Next option is everyone gets a glass when they arrive, and if they want any more then have a cash bar.

You want to spend more? You could have a bar tab of a few hundred, and then a cash bar after that.

Most expensive is open bar, drink as much as you want. Considering that is typically about $35 per person, and an entire bottle of wine is $15 - $20, that is far overpriced.

At the moment I'm thinking of having all you can drink for the VIPs (Grandparents and Wedding Party) and either a single drink paid drink each, or a bar tab.

Why should I go into crazy debt so you can get pissed on my dime?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

KarmaCandy posted:

How lucky of your friends and family to get to spend money on travel (gas prices, plane tickets, possible hotel room) and buy you a nice wedding present all for the mere joy of seeing you get married. It's really great that while you're special enough for them to do all that, they are only special enough for you to pay for a $7 - $10 for a drink. I bet your wedding present cost a lot more than that.
None of my guests are obligated to attend (and so far there are only three couples on the guest list who don't live locally, so the journey is not an issue). None of my guests are obligated to purchase presents.

Yes, I realise that they might be buying me nice presents, but you have no idea what my guests are like.

Are you saying I should hike the cost from $55 per head to $95 per head so that everyone can have as much to drink as they want? Do you want my reception to double in price for the sake of one or two people who might get offended? Most of my guests don't drink, so all that drink money is wasted on them.

Also the money for their drinks is coming straight out of my pocket. One set of parents won't pay for drinks (that's their stance) and the other set of parents haven't offered to pay for drinks.

The most important thing that you have missed is that I will be paying for drinks for a few of my guests, but I am not going to have people getting pissed on my dime.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
That depends a lot on the ring. Usually it varies between "cheap" (because the cost of extra metal isn't much) to "more than the ring is worth" because the jeweller's labour is expensive.

Hope for $20. Pray it isn't $200. Then ask a jeweller.

(I've had both answers, but on different rings. One was too thin and would have required most of a new band which was very labour heavy.)

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Why are you listing ring sizes in letters instead of numbers?

When we were ring shopping we tried on sizing rings so we know our ring finger sizes.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

LittleCat posted:

I have to keep telling myself that I do not want to spend 500 dollars on chair covers. I really hate them, I find them uncomfortable, and I don't want to spend money on them. But every time I see a picture of someone's beautiful table setups, I want them.

Gravitee posted:

Since the reception was in a hotel/conference center, all the chairs are an ugly gray/black and I didn't want my wedding to look like it could be taken over by a Toastmasters seminar in 10 minutes.
drat those bloody chair covers!

The reception venue price is everything-all-inclusive ... except for chair covers! Supposedly they're so difficult to put on that they're worth $5 of labour PER SEAT.

The chairs are navy, and with the white/red/silver theme they're going to clash terribly. The bride-to-be is stressing out. Looks like we might have to spend a lump of cash fixing that catastrophe with white chair covers. (We could probably purchase them for less.)

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Gravitee posted:

C. If you are male - is finding the right ring more important than the proposal? Did you have/would you want feedback beforehand regarding your partner's likes and dislikes?
Ring isn't really important. I came home one day to find a jeweler's business card with a ring description written on the back lying on our bed. That was quite nice. I went and talked to the jeweler and he gave me all the gossip: it's the right size, she likes it, etc, etc. In a way he was a proxy for all that. It was quite nice.

A few days later we were walking past the store when she tried to get me to go in and have a look at engagement rings. I thought that was a bit too rude so I told her no more talk about our engagement, ever. She was a bit unhappy, but it all worked out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Bloody hell. Let the "N months salary" thing die.

Nobody knows what I paid for my bride's engagement ring. Nobody! The jeweler now lives overseas, and the price wobbles increases and decreases so frequently nobody could tell.

What matters now is that everyone who sees the ring thinks it is great and looks beautiful.