Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geekygrrl
Apr 16, 2002

Gravitee posted:

Since you didn't get married, were you able to return most of it?

I used to work for a bridal boutique. Dresses are usually non-returnable (although we did have girls try, including one who stood outside smoking while her mother tried to sell us a story that her daughter had died and therefore would be unable to wear the dress - the dress had obviously been worn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geekygrrl
Apr 16, 2002

Ringlet_Bob posted:

I have what feels like a bit of a silly question, but how did you plan the date? Between parents, friends, venue availability, etc. I'm not quite sure where to start. I want the announcement to be a surprise (i.e. hey guys we're getting married on 14th Aug next year - get planning, not, hey we're getting married tomorrow), since my boyfriend and I have been together for years and have been getting stick about when we're getting married for most of those!

You'll never make everyone happy, so start with what works for you. I will tell you that venues book for summer weddings first (I used to work at a museum). Also, never, ever plan a holiday weekend wedding. Several of our friends have done this and it does nothing but ruin plans, plus hotel rates and everything else goes up.

geekygrrl
Apr 16, 2002

Queen of Roses posted:

You guys are getting married and your parents haven't met yet? :psyduck:

It's not uncommon. I've been married twice now and my parents hadn't met the inlaws until the actual wedding on either occasion. When you live in separate states and are really busy, it just kind of happens. Luckily, they love the current inlaws (can't say the same for the first set, it was hate on first site).

geekygrrl fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 11, 2008

geekygrrl
Apr 16, 2002

sheri posted:

I'm getting married in May, and we're trying to figure out what to give as gifts to our bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Anyone have any great idea? I've looked at all the wedding party gifts sites that give suggestions, but I generally think they all suck.

Thanks.

I cannot recommend http://www.redenvelope.com enough. Seriously.

geekygrrl
Apr 16, 2002
I still contend the best bridesmaid gift I ever received was when my best friend paid for our bridesmaid dresses. Way better than a cheesy necklace I'd never wear or a copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul (seriously, ugh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geekygrrl
Apr 16, 2002

Eris posted:

A girl who involves her parents in a ring purchase from her fiancee is not a girl who is mature enough to get married.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Eris here, that story smacked of "Oh jesus, wait until you're old enough to drink."