Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!
As this may have been, and was most likely, answered before, I hesitate to ask (please note that the search features are down right now).

Any experiences with purchasing an engagement ring online? I was looking at a couple of sites such as http://www.novori.com, and http://www.jamesallen.com/.

My girlfriend strikes me as conservative when it comes to jewelery (ie less is more), so I'm looking at spending around $1-3k on the band and $8-10k on the diamond (ie F or higher color, ideal cut, and VS1 or higher). It seems as though these sites have the simple bands with great diamonds. Is this too good to be true or is it just online savings?

Also, how much does cash upfront affect the cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!

dopaMEAN posted:

I guess I want to be surprised, but I also want to be able to help pick out what I want. I figure that I'll be happy with absolutely anything I get, but my tastes don't exactly follow the mainstream jewelry store trends. I hate ostentatious designs, I would be appalled if a ring cost more than $1000- even over $500 is hard to justify, and I think diamonds are awfully overrated and overpriced.

Have you guys sat down and talked about this at all? If she is at all conservative in the "less is more" sense, then you shouldn't be throwing that much money at the ring. You should get a feel for what she thinks is a good price range, I think. Remember that weddings are really expensive, so you don't want to sell the farm for some gigantic ring that doesn't even appeal to her tastes.

I am not trying to sell the farm. I was under the impression that there is still the "3 month's salary standard." Is that no longer true?

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!
Well, I went ahead and proposed, and now we are in the process of planning the wedding.

We were thinking about a Sunday Wedding, 7/5/10, labor day weekend.

Here are some pics of the Engagement Ring:

And another:

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!

ih8ualot posted:

Jesus, how many carats is that? Do you have any photos from the side?

Don't have any side photos, although my mom is also requesting them, so I will put them up when I can.

It is a 1.22 VS2 Ideal G, in a platinum channel set with .6 total carrat princess cut VS2 F-G.

The SA recommendation to hit up Pricescope.com was crucial!! Thanks to whomever recommended it.

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!

JohnnyRnR posted:

See, this is why I always tell people to buy a very well cut diamond. The optical performance really makes a difference.

That's a beautiful ring.

This is so true. While the pictures don't begin to do the ring justice, when I finally saw it under ceiling lights, holy crap is that thing sparkly.

Its all about the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!

brc64 posted:

Okay, our plans just hit a wild curve.

We're planning on moving (several states away) in the very near future, and after talking it over, we've decided that it makes more sense to be married before the move. Among other things, it will ensure that I'm covered under my fiancee's insurance when we move (her job is transferable, mine may not be).

With respect to the insurance issue, see if your provider allows for "Domestic Partnerships" to be covered. That is how my fiancee and I are getting by until the wedding.