Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm getting married in May, and we're trying to figure out what to give as gifts to our bridesmaids and groomsmen.

Anyone have any great idea? I've looked at all the wedding party gifts sites that give suggestions, but I generally think they all suck.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

IanCaw posted:

No, she's hardly a traditional girl, and specifically not a traditional southern one. She wouldn't really care either way, but I do know that her parents are reasonably traditional (not Southern, though) and they're a huge part of her life. We moved a couple states away from them, which is why going up to ask them is a bit of a challenge.

You make a good point, though. But it may be helpful to make them happy to start things out nonetheless. Thanks for the input!

I'm getting married the first weekend of May. My fiance did not ask for my father's permission. I would not have liked it if he ask my father, as I don't like the patriarchy of it all.

Perhaps, if you are set on doing something like that, inform her father beforehand of your intentions and ask for his blessing rather than permission?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Bean Trap posted:

The cake: $285

My extended family is rather large, and so we needed a cake to feed at least 70 people. We went to Chef's Kitchen Cakery in Cincinnati. The chef is hilarious and very awesome; her cakes are delicious; she's got a great eye for style. We hadn't thought much about the cake, and she's talking to us and says, "You guys look like you're people who like clean lines and elegance." This is true. So we're having a three-layer cake: bottom is blueberry cake with raspberry jam; middle, almond cake with almond cream; top, vanilla with chocolate (for the boring people/allergic folks).

The price above is without delivery costs. If we move the cake ourselves, we save $80, although if the parents are too nervous to help, we may just pay up.

The chef also makes a double of the cake in case of emergencies for free. The extra cake becomes her samples if not used.

I got married May 3, and apparently my first cake was dropped while they were setting it up at the reception site. Luckily they also had a backup, and everything was all peachy and pretty by the time anyone showed up.

We spent just under $14k, and that includes the honeymoon. The majority was on food/booze for the 150ish guests. My and my husband and my parents paid the majority of the costs, and no one went into any debt!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I live in the midwest, where (at least in my area) completely open bars are a very big exception. Not a lot of people do completely open bars.

When my husband and I got married (a little over two months ago) we had free beer/wine/champagne/punch/soda the whole night. If you wanted to get plastered on our dime, great! If you wanted something different, the bartender was right there and ready to serve you.

I've never been to a wedding where there wasn't some form of alcohol offered for free. People spend a lot on travel, hotels, gifts (and if they are in the wedding, showers, dresses, tux rental), etc. The food and booze should be free.

Edit: We paid for the majority of the wedding costs ourselves, and didn't go into debt at all. Had a great time too!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I got married on a Saturday, and picked my dress up the Thursday beforehand.