Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I've fallen in love with this ring http://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/r640p.html but I know the boyfriend would be happier with something bought from a brick and mortar store with a yearly cleaning and examination and such available. I wouldn't be against something similar, I just haven't seen anything like it for sale in person. Can anyone recommend some place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I posted much earlier about looking for a vintage or antique-styled ring. Months later and we've picked it up from the jewelers! I'm all antsy waiting to see how he proposes. It's from Reaver's: https://www.reaverdiamond.com.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I had a close friend buy her engagement ring from Antique Jewelry Mall--It came promptly and was a gorgeous sapphire and diamond ring. They never had it checked out by a jeweler, but to my eye it was perfect.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Nione posted:

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend BB&B or C&B over Target. Target's exchange policy is absolutely terrible. A friend of mine's sister just recently got married and they registered at Target. She's originally from here and both of their families were here, so they got married here, but they live out of state. So she and her fiance were flying in for the wedding, as well as things like showers, dress fittings, etc. At her shower she was given something from her registry, I believe a hamper or something, that was really large. She couldn't really take it on the plane with her and it would have cost a fortune to ship, so she tried to take it back to Target, get a gift card for it, and then purchase the same thing when she got home. They wouldn't do it. Since it had been a gift off of her registry the person giving her the gift didn't include a gift receipt and they wouldn't even give her store credit for it. She ended up leaving it at her parents' house and then after the wedding her and her new husband spent 3 days driving across the country with their wedding gifts in a rental van.
Just so people know,I actually work at a Target and she could have returned it. All she needed to do was print off the Gift Purchase Log at the registry kiosk and she could return not just things on her registry, but even things that weren't on it. She can do that up to 3 months after her wedding.

There was a period of like 7 months a few years ago when Target's return policy was atrocious, but they changed it to this.

Edit: not that I'm in love with Target; I'm engaged and not even sure we'll register there, but the return policy for registered people isn't bad!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Nione posted:

2. Wedding bands. My fiance doesn't really wear rings. I'd like for us to have wedding bands, I'm not doing an engagement ring but I'd like something. The problem is that he has long thin fingers and giant knuckles. Any ring that is big enough to fit over the knuckle on his ring finger is way too big when he gets it on. Part of me knows that if I get him a ring and he doesn't wear it I'm going to be a little sad, but it's not a deal breaker. Is there some way of getting around this, are we just not fitting rings properly?

His suggestion was to get our "rings" tattooed on our fingers. I'd be willing to consider this, I have multiple tattoos anyway and we've been together for 9 years now, so we're both pretty sure this is forever. Has anyone else done this?
I have no idea about that first one; my mom's doing the same thing.

They make rings with little balls on the inside that are supposed to be easier to get over knuckles but still snug on the rest of the finger. Maybe ask your jeweler for one of those?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Xenopax--We bought this ring http://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/ssr228b.html in amethyst from Antique Jewelry Mall and were very pleased with their communication, customer service, and the product itself, which was so delicate and beautiful. I bet they'd sell just a setting too!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Does anyone know for sure whether it's illegal to throw rice at weddings in Michigan? I know Snopes disproved the exploding bird myth, which makes me think it's not, but my SIL is so drat sure.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

What area of the country are you in? I always recommend Sweet Dreams bakery and they're having a deal on wedding cakes where one style is only a dollar a slice, but if you're not in Detroit, that's not much help. I've heard of people getting delicious cakes from Costco too.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

drat Bananas posted:

My best friend is getting married this weekend and she asked me to be her maid of honor a while back. She asked if I could be prepared to make a speech/toast, and I said of course, but I've never been to a wedding! I have no idea what I'm supposed to say. She moved away when we were juniors in high school (2005) and I have only physically seen her once since then, two years ago, for a week when I met her now-fiance so I don't really have any stories of the two of them. All I can think of is saying I'm happy for them and wishing them luck. What do I say?? :confused:

I'd say one thing to avoid is the speech that goes like this:
I'VE known Sally for TEN YEARS and WE ARE BEST FRIENDS and I LOVE GOING SHOPPING WITH HER AND WE ARE SO CLOSE and oh she's marrying this guy.

I hear that at maybe every other wedding... and usually from the girls.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Honestly, if you only register for a few items, then people who want to give you a gift will just give money once those items are gone. The ones who give you embroidered cat pillows or crystal bowls of doom would have given them no matter what! And then you don't have to worry about offending people or wasting their money on a website.

Edit to say that at our wedding 2 weeks ago of about 380 guests, we had MAYBE 10 boxed gifts total... and that was with a registry that was used for the shower. In my part of the country, at least, people no longer bring gifts to the wedding, just envelopes.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 12, 2010

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

We combined the mother-son and father-daughter dances and all danced to Louis Armstrong singing "Sunrise, Sunset." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CWgQQGyr4

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm going to scream if I hear one more complaint about my wedding. I had American friends complain because we had too much Greek music and the service was half in Greek. Meanwhile I had to fight with the band to play more American music. But to complain about it? It's our culture! Go have your own wedding, people!

Now the first glimpses of the photos are in, and they're absolutely gorgeous. But my brother is commenting NOW that there was no picture of just the two of us. My dad is complaining that there aren't pictures of every table. I was already a little irritated that there's no picture of my groom's face as he sees me for the first time, and no pic of the cake topper or the rings all together, but I can't stand for other peoples' complaints. Seriously, why would you complain about someone else's wedding TO them?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Nuntius posted:

Extremelly, I've never heard of anyone with more than one wedding ring, it's meant to be a permanent symbol of your love, not an interchangable one to match your outfit :S
I forget who it is, but there's someone on this board who has like 5 engagement/wedding ring sets she's picked up over the years.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

If it's being passed out to the tables, everyone eats one slice. If it's at a central table and every picks it up themselves, people take one slice and then another if there are any left over. I wouldn't worry!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

gvibes posted:

I was looking around for honeymoon spots, and there are some places in Greece that look absolutely amazing. It didn't really work for us due to the season. I am not sure if the recent economic upheaval has affected its viability as a vacation spot, however.

We just got back from our honeymoon at the Santorini Palace... which was nearly empty. It just meant that everyone was very happy to see us and often threw in free deserts and appetizers. Absolutely a gorgeous place, sunset views and incredible food.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Sidmae posted:

I was wondering whether I should put a certain joke in my best man speech / toast.

"So today's been a very hectic day ... blah blah blah ... [groom] asked me for 'directions to get to the conception.' [Pause for laugh] I had a good laugh and said, 'I can't believe I have to tell you this ... its like riding a bike.' [Groom] says, 'Riding a bike?! Jeez it'll take forever to get there!'. I say, 'What? No its just an expression, and don't worry; you get there when you get there' to which [Groom] replies, 'but I have to get there before my guests!'

Is this too 'smutty' and/or too involved ... or just not funny? I was aiming for tongue in cheek, I think.

I wouldn't feel bad telling this joke in front of my buddy's parents, but I don't know the bride's side of the family well, and I saw a picture of Jesus hanging on the wall in their house

I would definitely not do it. You don't know the bride or her family, and you have to keep in mind that it's not just the groom's parents--it's the bride's entire family, the priest,, the groom's grandparents... better just not to offend anyone, unless you know for a fact that everyone there loves bawdy jokes.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

It definitely depends on your outlook and what's common in your area. If our friends were in a relationship, we put down their partner's name on the invite. Otherwise, we invited them alone, since weddings are a great place to meet people. We did make sure that everyone knew someone else there, though. Most people were sitting with their families (big Greek wedding!) and our American friends that came all were seated with mutual friends. If that hadn't been possible, we may have allowed for one or two plus ones.

We didn't get any complaints about that, for what it's worth... and we did get complaints about other things ("too much Greek in your Greek service!" "Why wasn't there more American music?!") so I'm not chalking it up to politeness. :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

We had that issue with my mom's family being from out of state and my dad's from out of the country. We hosted the Greeks in our homes (4 in each house) and had activities for them because of how hard it would be for them with the language barrier, but all the Americans had to figure things out for themselves. Of course, they also baked me meals and wedding cookies, decorated the house, and helped me out with anything I asked for, so it was a more than fair trade.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Defenestration posted:

My sister's wedding is next summer, and while I am very thankful NOT to be the Maid of Honor, it is becoming clear that we are in need of an early intervention re: bridesmaid dresses. (boob rouching! :barf: )They were looking at Alfred Angelo, and my alternative suggestions from that website have been subsequently Shut Down.

Can I get some suggestions for places to look at tons of bridesmaid dresses online that aren't just David's Bridal/House of Brides? For reference, I need something which is similar to this without being, well, ugly from the waist up.

YIKES. I had my friends wear Jasmine dresses http://www.jasminebridal.com/ in a uniform color and fabric, but with whatever style they liked. That's been really popular lately--maybe she'd change her mind? Good luck. I know every wedding I've stood up in, I've had to wear a stiff satin number, and it always looks terrible.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

OH NO! That might be a case where I'd actually hire a wedding planner just for the last week, to hunt down an new place and send out notes to all the guests about the reception change. What a nightmare.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I think that's the greatest question I've ever seen in this thread.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Well, what did you two agree on when you've talked about it? I'd bring up "How our children are brought up is very important to us, and we come from two different backgrounds. This is what we've agreed to do." At least that way you're not saying that it's YOU refusing to do something--it's what you've both decided.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

mintskoal posted:

I don't think we ever decided on an actual plan because kids are a long way off. She wants her children to go to church, and I don't have a problem with that but she thinks it may be a problem if I'm not enthusiastic about it.

Honestly, I really don't care about religion at all. I could care less what god/gods someone believes in as long as they don't try to use that to interfere with my life.

Basically, I'm indifferent to the whole thing and if I was asked how religion would guide my relationship with my girlfriend an honest answer would be "not at all." That's what I'm worried about discussing.
Try guiding it to how your personal morals guide your relationship--how you keep love, respect, and responsibility in mind?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

At the ones I've been to, it's not EXPECTED, but people do it anyways. I'd go for something small or maybe just a congratulatory card.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm with you. My 18k gold band is scratched and dented to hell, but I think it lends character, and there's no way it'll stay shiny over the next 60+ years anyways.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

My fiance and I want to do buffet style Greek food for our wedding and I was wondering if anyone had good recommendations for caterers in the Austin, TX area? Long shot, I know, but here's to hoping.

This may sound weird, but you could try asking at the local Greek church. The secretary there may have a good idea based on who's catered their affairs.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I don't think they need to match at all, but I wear mine on opposite hands. My engagement ring is platinum with pave and engraving all over it, and my wedding band is a plain yellow gold comfort-fit band with a tiny bit of milgrain around both edges.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Oh, yeah, I totally agree with that. I should say our wedding bands also matched and we felt strongly about that.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Emasculatrix posted:

Is there a place to rent or buy used David's Bridal bridesmaid dresses? So far I've looked at Craigslist and recycledbride. My friend, who I adore and would be willing to wear many things for, has just assigned me a horrifically expensive dress in a godawful color. Despite the fact that I am nonworking graduate student planning my own wedding, I really want to make this work for her.

You can try searching for the model number on Google shopping. Unless it's an apple red dress, then buy it from me, because I'm never wearing that thing again.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Wooow, that's pretty assy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

oldskool posted:

contacts

I feel the same way about my husband wearing his glasses, but we both went for contacts on the wedding day. Especially for women, makeup can smear on the glasses, but glare from the flash can be an issue for anyone.

edit: ^^ trying out the contacts beforehand is definitely important!

Oldskool, for whatever reason, wearing glasses is seen as more casual than not. There's nothing wrong with them, but you don't really see people rushing to get frames just for formal events. It's like putting on your heels and your glitzy jewelry.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 9, 2012