Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

CalamityKate posted:

We're at a point in the economy where you're going to see people haggling more everywhere, retail, wherever. It's going to get worse if nothing else. And if your store really doesn't negotiate on pricing, then it is in the minority. Just like car dealerships, people go into jewelery stores expecting the price to be marked up.

Exactly, especially when many major jewelry stores mark up their stuff by 50-70%, and everyone knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

kimihia posted:

None of my guests are obligated to attend (and so far there are only three couples on the guest list who don't live locally, so the journey is not an issue). None of my guests are obligated to purchase presents.

Yes, I realise that they might be buying me nice presents, but you have no idea what my guests are like.

Are you saying I should hike the cost from $55 per head to $95 per head so that everyone can have as much to drink as they want? Do you want my reception to double in price for the sake of one or two people who might get offended? Most of my guests don't drink, so all that drink money is wasted on them.

Also the money for their drinks is coming straight out of my pocket. One set of parents won't pay for drinks (that's their stance) and the other set of parents haven't offered to pay for drinks.

The most important thing that you have missed is that I will be paying for drinks for a few of my guests, but I am not going to have people getting pissed on my dime.

No, no one is obligated to attend or to buy you a gift. However, for those who do attend and bring gifts, it's pretty tacky of you guys not to offer some sort of free food and drink. If you didn't want to spend a lot of money on a reception, you should have invited fewer guests.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

do what now posted:

From what I learned from wedding how-to books and my wedding planner, cash bars are considered big faux-paxs. From my experience as a wedding photographer, people get really upset about them. I'm guessing that giving some guests full free bar and others a cash bar (or vouchers) will also not go over very well.

But you're not obligated to provide a full open bar either. Many couples I worked for offered beer and wine and skipped expensive cocktails and liquor. Several others did the "featured drink" thing - they offered a few specialty/themed cocktails instead of a full bar. Some of these couples offered liquor/cocktails guests could buy, and others just stuck to free wine and beer. Guests at weddings with a free limited bar or free featured cocktails only never minded the compromise.

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me. It's just a nice gesture to have something for your guests that won't cost them even more money than they've likely already spent to be there.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

brc64 posted:

I suck at taking up close pictures. Also, yes, if you're wondering that is the wedding band attached to to the ring, but no, we're not married yet. She really liked the way they looked attached, but didn't really like the wedding band by itself and preferred we get at least somewhat matching rings when we get to that point. So we just had them solder the two together. Is that unusual? I didn't even realize "connecting" wedding/engagement rings were so common in the first place.

It's pretty common. I think most of the married women I know have done this (though not all).

Personally, I don't think I would ever do it for a couple of reasons. I don't find it very aesthetically pleasing (but of course that comes down to personal taste!). Also, there are some situations where I might not want to wear my engagement ring (because I'd be afraid of chipping or scratching the stone) but I would want to wear my wedding band.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

NintyFresh posted:

Speaking of my engagement...looks like it'll be another year longer due to the economy. We were planning on a summer 2010 wedding with planning starting next summer, but mainly due to the uncertainty of finding a job for my fiance when he graduates this spring and myself in 2010, our parents would prefer us to wait another year longer to make sure we have stable jobs. I understand it, but it just sucks to wait another year...even if it makes it a bit easier for us to get our far away families to come. Especially when I was all ready to look at wedding dresses this summer. :(

Seconding elopement. I'm trying to convince my boyfriend that this is what we should do because he wants to propose but doesn't have the money right now for the kind of ring he wants to get me or the kind of wedding he thinks I want to have. He has these grandiose ideas of getting me a pretty ring and having a pretty wedding. I told him I just want to be married, ring or no ring, and if all we can afford is a trip to the courthouse that's fine by me.

What it comes down to is that you guys will never have "enough" money to feel stable. There will always be new expenses and financial uncertainties and if you wait for those to go away, you'll be waiting forever. If you're both sure you want to marry each other, you might as well just do it. :)

You said that your parents are the ones suggesting you wait until 2011. Are they supportive of you guys getting married? Maybe they're trying to get you to wait for other reasons.