Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I like turkey and ham sandwiches
So, I've decided that I'm going to pop the question at the end of August. August 29th is our third anniversary, so I figure we'll have a nice dinner and take a walk out on the quad under the stars. I'll take her to the spot we first kissed and get down on one knee. I think she'll like it; she's been hinting that she wants to get married for a long time.

I'm going to buy the ring at a local place. I walked in there earlier this summer and the people who own the place seem pretty nice. With these local places, is there anything I should watch out for? Selling cubic zirconia as diamonds, or claiming that a ring is .30 carats when it's more like .35? Does anybody have experience with local scams?

By the way, here's an idea of the ring I want to get. I don't have much money, and she's a light girl, so I don't want to get anything too huge. Just a simple solitaire ring, probably around .30 carats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I bought the ring earlier this week, and I just got confirmation that it's headed my way! I chose One-Day shipping, so hopefully it'll be here by Friday. I'm so happy!

It's a 0.41 carat Very Good Princess cut, with VVS1 clarity and G color. I had to stretch my budget a little bit more than I wanted to, but she's definitely worth it.

I'll be proposing on the 29th (our 3rd anniversary), so wish me luck!

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
From her profile:

"My wedding is in New Jersey
My job College Student, Domestic Goddess"

About Me:
A county girl that is in love with a county boy
(my interests: Agriculture, Babies, Cheerleading, Cooking, Dance, Family, Fashion, ffa, Friends, Horseback Riding, Horses, leadership, Love, Music, Parties )"

She sure sounds like a keeper.

Edit: From the post below mine... "he's pursuing a career in professional golf and doesn't want to marry til after he's successful." :lol: You can't make this poo poo up.

My fiance-to-be is building his own podracer, but he says he can't buy me a ring because he has to spend it on some kinda space engine. I need to know soon, because my 17th birthday is coming up and I wanna be all super cool at my party. Even though we haven't ever met in person, I'm soooo in love guys. I'm trying to see if he can come to my town for a week or so, but my mom doesn't want to pay for his ticket, and he can't, because, you know, space engine. What do I do, guys? By the way, he's 32.

ih8ualot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 14, 2008

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
Take a look at what showed up a day early!

(sorry for the lovely picture; all I have is a webcam)

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

RedFish posted:

Oh, I agree. You should bring her family a freshly-wrestled wild cow, and then club her over the head and drag her off to your tent.

Why should you put her happiness above your need to fulfill your traditional role as provider? It sounds like she doesn't know her place. Don't forget to inform her when you are having children, where you will live, and what time dinner needs to be on the table when you come home.

Seriously, you've painted an unflattering picture of yourself as a pre-60's caveman with comments like that. I agree that you shouldn't pay the inflated price of a mall store, why not contact some top-rate online jewelers like Whiteflash, or Wink Jones of Winfield's, for quotes on what a replica would cost you?

I think his point wasn't so much, "I'm the man and therefore I buy the ring URRG" but more "This is important to me so I feel it'd be more heartfelt if I paid for the ring with 100% of my hard-earned money. If I brought her parents into it, that's taking the easy way out."

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

Adri posted:

Just to pop in and say, I got proposed to earlier this evening :). Of course I said yes.

And I am not looking forward to planning a loving wedding.

Congratulations!

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
She said yes!

Yaaaay!

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

I just finished a mock-up of our "Save the Date" cards! Please ignore the fact that it has our full names, you don't get the right idea without it.

I'd love any opinions you might have! This is sorta going to be a "teaser" of what our invites are going to look like. It'll be printed onto a glossy postcard and just mailed out.

I'm no artist, and your wedding is obviously at least somewhat nontraditional, but this looks more like an invitation to a gaming convention than a wedding.

Here are some of my first impressions:
1) I think the idea of "boy-is-nerdy, girl-likes-pretty-stuff" could work, but the motif is only represented once. Unfortunately, since the background is black, it's a little hard to represent elsewhere. Maybe work the motif into the text or border?
2) Don't make the background completely black. It's a wedding, and it'd be hard to print off anyway. Maybe a thick black border?
3) Going with the motif again, would it be possible to make your symbol and her symbol the same color? That bright green goes with almost nothing. Consider this: For your digitized flower, try using a purple outline and a white fill, with the lines on the inside being the same purple. Although no old-school video game would likely have that color scheme, I think it'd work better.
4) The gradient doesn't work. If you decide to make the background a lighter color, maybe a simple stroke would do the job. If you decide to keep the background, maybe a simple white stroke would work.

Like I said, I'm no artist.

Fake edit: and I agree with everybody else's critiques.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Would you believe me if I said hardcore action/sci-fi is what I kinda had in mind? :D As far as the feeling of it goes, I kinda wanted people to look at it and go, "What the hell?" and be half amused, and half confused.

A younger audience might appreciate it. But if you're inviting your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, or older friends, I imagine that they would have a different reaction. As in, 100% confused and 100% disappointed.
I don't have grandkids (hell, I don't even have kids), but I if I got something like this from my grandson, I would be so :ughh:

But this all depends on who your family is.

ih8ualot fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 5, 2009

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

LittleCat posted:

I like this a lot. Although at first glance, it may be difficult to see that the green things are leaves.

But otherwise, I like that.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Damnit, I'm the chick! :argh:

Whoops. Sorry. :(

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

zman8 posted:

Well, I went ahead and proposed, and now we are in the process of planning the wedding.

We were thinking about a Sunday Wedding, 7/5/10, labor day weekend.

Here are some pics of the Engagement Ring:

And another:

Jesus, how many carats is that? Do you have any photos from the side?

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

CrackSpider posted:

EDIT: To everybody: How long were you with your significant other before you/he proposed? Not many of you shared that information, and I'm genuinely curious. :)

I proposed on the third anniversary.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Be careful on the DIY stuff. My wife and I decided to make our own wedding invitations, out of laser engraved walnut veneer. I had access to the veneer and a laser engraver because I was an industrial design student at the time. We did letterpress printing for the reply card and envelopes, my wife did all of the graphics design.

I say be careful because the invites turned out so well, and we got such insanely good feedback, that we launched a business making them for other people. You never know where a DIY project can lead you.

Our stuff is at http://www.oslopress.com/wedding-invitations.html our invitation was the willow design. If it is not cool to self promote like this let me know and I will edit this part out.

BTW, total cost was somewhere between 5k-7k for the entire wedding and it was at an amazing venue, with amazing food. Key cost saving measure: Get married in January.

God, now my invitations look like poo poo.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
We decided to do our own RSVP system, because I wanted to do something with PHP/mySQL. Users are presented with the following form:

Click here for the full 1063x707 image.

Once they submit, the RSVP is added (unless the RSVP has already been made, in which case my email is given out and they're told to ask me).

Then, for the administrators, they can view this page:

Click here for the full 1064x783 image.

It's awesome :iamafag:

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

jomiel posted:

Being a bit picky here, but why do they have to enter in their name and address information when you already know it and sent out their invitation with the secret password on it?

That's a good point.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
If you're planning a romantic date where you dress up, hide the ring in the suit jacket that you're planning to wear. If you're like me, you're never going to wear it unless it's for special occasions, and she has no need to be looking through there. That's how I did it, and it worked out fine.

In other news, my wedding's in like a month ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
Getting married on the 25th (less than two weeks!). The groom's checklist:

Reception dinner picked out... check.
Wedding license picked up... check.
Groomsmen gifts ordered... check.
Honeymoon events planned... check.
Gifts for the parents... uhhh

OH gently caress

I completely forgot about getting gifts for the parents. OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD. It's too late to have something engraved and here by the rehearsal dinner. GOD DAMMIT. What the hell am I going to do?

Have any of you gotten your parents and parents-in-law something for the wedding on short notice?

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

GoreJess posted:

I'm just gonna throw out a bunch of ideas....You can do what Kitten Kisses suggested & just make their present a photo album after the wedding. Give them a card with a promise to send them the album when it comes in. They make pre-embroidered handkerchiefs for moms to use during the ceremony. You could give your dad a bottle of his favorite expensive liquor. There are these cufflinks from Red Envelope.

That's all I got for first thing in the morning.

Red Envelope was a lifesaver. They have delivery dates on the website! How perfect.

Thank you so much.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004

Zaftig posted:

We're getting married on 12/12/12, so we'll probably wait until it's warmer somewhere else.

Any particular reason why you're waiting three years? I've never heard of anybody planning a wedding that far in advance. Is it just for the date novelty? Why not 10/10/10?

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
Mini-meltdown today. Wedding's in six days.

Me :)
Future Mother-in-law :j:
Future Grandma-in-law :downs:

:) Here's the latest seating chart. I know you said you wanted some changes, right?
:j: Yup. Let me make some changes.

:j: Okay, I think my changes are done.
:) Sounds good. This looks great. I'll start typing up the place cards.
:j: I'm going to go to the grocery store.
:) Okay, see you later!

*at grocery store*
*telephone rings*
:j: Hello?
:downs: Hi, you remember that family we didn't invite?
:j: Yeah, I asked for the address and you said that we shouldn't invite them because they just had a baby.
:downs: Yeah, well, I invited them.
:j: :what:
:downs: Yeah.
:j: You wouldn't give me the address. It's six days from the wedding. The RSVP deadline was three weeks ago. The seating chart is done. And you invited them?
:downs: Yup. So, try and find a place to put seven people. They're a big family.
:j: :what:

*telephone rings*
:) Hello?
:j: I hope you haven't printed the place cards yet.
:) :what:

I love my new in-laws to death, but my fiance's paternal grandmother are a real piece of work. But they already gave us some great gifts, and they took us out to dinner tonight, so I might be able to forgive and forget.

But still. :argh:

(we're going to put the extra family in a different room by themselves. There is nothing else we can do. All of our other tables have a maximum of three seats open, and that's after a decent amount of shuffling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
Wedding's tomorrow and all we have to do is wait. Everything else is pretty well planned.

Hooray! :)