Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Generic Superhero posted:

The cost of photographers astounds me. I'm not paying for film, nor am I paying for film processing except for shots I choose, why am I paying 200 dollars an hour for them to take digital pictures? The kicker is most places we've seen charge between 150-300 dollars for us to get the pictures they take on a DVD so we can print them ourselves. It does not cost that much to burn a drat DVD.

You're paying for the expertise of the photographer. They've spent countless hours perfecting their skill, which costs a ridiculous amount of money to go through photography school. Skilled workers demand, and are worth, a high per hour labor price. You're also paying for all that equipment- extra cameras, flashes, lenses, and light diffusers can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

The cost of the DVD is that high because you're in effect buying the rights to the pictures. Normally when you have professional photographs made, the photographer retains the copyright and you can only get more prints from them. With digital copies on the DVD, you don't have to pay for a print to send to Great-Aunt Millie, you can just email her a file. And if you want a print to put on your desk at work, you just just print one out on your photo printer at home. The photographer is losing a major revenue source when they give you a digital copy of all your photos, they have to make it up in the price of the DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I recently went to David's Bridal with a friend and it was awful. Our rep first tried to lecture us on what dress shapes were. She then dumped a bunch of dresses on us, and disappeared for 20 minutes only to reappear to glare at us for a while. She didn't even help us get the dresses on or off the hangers. At one point we had to ask someone else's rep to help us, who thankfully was very nice.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
It sounds a little suicide cult-y to me.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Johnny is a high end art jeweler.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Instead of a tip jar, we want to put a "wedding fund" jar and just tip the bartenders ourselves in advance. There are 2 bartenders for 5 hours, is $50 each reasonable?

Absolutely not. I work as a bartender and my hourly tips average $25 per hour. You want to give them $10 per hour for what promises to be a busy night. Tips are what they pay their rent and bills with, its not beer and pizza money.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

OssiansFolly posted:

It isn't likely that the bartenders are getting paid strictly on tips though. Working as a bartender at a bar is one thing, and working at a wedding is another. I know my reception location requires that we pay the bartenders $100/ea. prior to the wedding. I don't think I've ever heard of a special event bartender working for tips when it is an open bar.

This isn't for the wedding, it's for the Jack and Jill party, which is being held at a bar where the guests are charged per drink.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Start with nicer wine for the beginning, switch to the cheap stuff after a couple of hours, once everyone's a little toasted.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Krysmphoenix posted:

Edit: oh right, also in Missouri

It's not the state that cares about where the ceremony takes place, it's the denomination. ELCA Lutherans don't care where it is, but Missouri Synod might because they're generally super conservative dicks about lots of things such as barring women pastors, holding closed communion, and prohibiting its members from joining the Freemasons. It wouldn't be a stretch for them to insist that a marriage be conducted in front of the altar and using its standard liturgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Axqu posted:

You know, I hadn't even considered a plus-size bridal store, nor did I know they existed. My parents live in Kansas City, so it'd be pretty easy to hop up there for a weekend and rope a couple of my buddies into going along. I LOVE Torrid already, especially since they have things actually built to look good on people who look like me; they're ridiculous stupid expensive but well worth it. Various brain malfunctions (that my therapy team is working on; I get better daily but it's still a process) mean I'm 5'3" and... pushing 270lb. :smith: It's daunting, even in regular clothes, trying to find something that doesn't make me hate how I look. Super-appreciate the help. I'll check out those places and make a couple calls when it's safe to travel again! Much less daunting knowing there are places specifically made to cater to women who look like me!

This is kind of tangential to your wedding specific anxieties, but being fat doesn't mean that you don't deserve to feel good and happy about your wardrobe. My friend makes this podcast Fat Outta Hell https://instagram.com/fatouttahellpod?igshid=1e3miuo8tojgv and they feature frugal fat fashion every week. Jessie is very devoted to sharing how she finds clothes that make her feel good and beautiful without spending a crazy amount of money.