Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
$100k+ in the Indian community is very common. Of course, the culture is very different, and weddings are a way for parents to show off and celebrate with virtually anyone they've ever know in their life. Consequently, invitations are ALWAYS given as family invites, so kids and grandkids are par for the course. Indian weddings are cheap on a per person basis, because the food is vegetarian, served buffet style, and rarely involves an open bar reception. A lot of the cost goes towards gifts given to the key family members of the bride and groom (yes, given).

Of course, parents that throw 100k weddings can afford 100k weddings, AND down payments for kid's cars, college, etc.

But to keep on topic & relevance for a "Western" wedding, consider golf courses for wedding venue. I know the some of the courses around here are set up for ceremonies, and the settings are beautiful, overlooking the course, pond & waterfall, etc. These aren't private country clubs either, just local public courses.

Regarding hotels, definitely negotiate hard for room & hall rental packages. Most big hotels discount the hall rental if you pick up XXX number of rooms. Having said that, don't overlook cheaper places like Comfort Inns or Best Westerns. The room rates are far cheaper than Hyatts & Sheratons, and you can still have your reception in the big hotel, even if you pay more for the hall because you didn't take rooms there.

And final note, remember, the wedding is the beginning of a marriage - I've been married 17 years, and my memory of our wedding are fuzzy at best, but my marriage is doing fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU