Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Keep in mind that they do press them, which is kinda sucky to do yourself for a dozen large tablecloths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some people also do a small simple cake just for the cake cutting, and then another dessert for everyone to actually eat.

My brother did pies as the only dessert. A good quality pie from a local farm stand was like $15, and they got 10 or 15 of them. Cheaper than a cake by a mile. They really like pies though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of invites, what are the good sites out there? We have been looking at Minted, which seems to be nice quality and reasonably priced, but we only really like one of their designs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like I am much pickier with video quality than other aspects of the wedding. So I'm not sure we can afford a videographer that meets my standard.

So, I bowed out of the selection process. Up to the fiancée.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

C-Euro posted:

. I was thinking about sending him an invite but I'm not sure how to do it, do I take the "oh hey did you get my invite yet? No? That drat USPS, let me send you another one!" angle or go "Hey some space opened up on our guest list, do you want to come?"

Given the choice between lying or pointing out they are a second chance invite, I think you are better off saying nothing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone do (or doing) a DIY photo booth? I figure I can use our iPad plus $150 of stuff (Selphy AirPlay printer, tripod, mount) and get the same idea as what they are charging $500+ for. And the printer is the priciest piece and we get to keep that (or sell it.)

Our friends did a setup with an SLR and a remote shutter on a timer, and that worked well and gave really nice photos, but the guests couldn't see the results until a few days after, so not quite a real photobooth.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, I am doing the final bit of budgeting for my wedding in October, and want some opinions on tipping. I want to tip the Limo Driver, Servers and Bartenders BEFORE the day so hopefully it will make them happier to be serving my guests. Does anyone have an idea how much is a good tip? $25? $50? $100?

I mean, it's kind of weird. That's not how people usually tip. And usually a pre-tip would give the expectation of a larger tip afterwards.

Even tipping out servers individually is kind of unusual. We gave people $20 at my brother's wedding and they were very happy. They are probably only making $25 an hour at most so a $100 tip would be... a lot.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 14, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, a traditional best man duty is to tip. It's like one of their three duties, so I think they should be able to handle it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grrr, vendors bragging about their five star reviews on Wedding Wire when they are so full of fakes. They don't even make the barest effort, and Wedding Wire makes it crystal clear if the user only wrote a single vendor review. And you'd think they would realize that having 5 reviews with a wedding date in January would be a little suspicious.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the registry front, we are using Thankful Registry, which is just kind of a catch-all kind of thing that covers normal gifts and honeymoon stuff. It's $30 or something.

https://thankfulregistry.com/

We actually had a free subscription for Honeyfund from some other thing we signed up for, but I was really turned off by Honeyfund's constant upsell, and that we would need two registries.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 22, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Six weeks before your wedding... yeah, it's going to suck. Everyone wants your time and your to-do list only gets longer. It might help to concentrate on the things she will enjoy, like the bridal shower and bachelorette party and rehearsal dinner. And the fact that in six weeks she won't have to plan a wedding ever again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

NEVER EVER EVER invite more people than your venue can accommodate in case of the worst case scenario that everyone does decide to come and there are always last minute additions.

It seems like it would be hard to find a venue (and budget) that's a good fit for both 175 (max attendance) and 100 (actual attendance). But most people don't have to deal with that level of No RSPVs.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another app along those lines is WeddingParty. My brother used it for his wedding a few years ago and it was great to see all the photos. Not everyone used it but a good number of the younger folk did.

And yeah, disposable cameras are the old school way of doing it, and they don't really make much sense now, IMO. The quality is terrible if it's an inside wedding and it's not cheap to develop them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We actually are putting vintage cameras on the tables as decoration (you can get pretty nice cameras at tag sales for $10), and were pondering whether it was worth it to make them functioning. Our conclusion was that the film and developing would be hella expensive, and people would probably gently caress up taking photos anyway. We did get a vintage Polaroid that we might try to get working.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI: We had to get liability insurance for our venue since we are providing the alcohol, and ended up also getting cancellation insurance for a hundred or so more. Worth looking into if you have older relatives. (Also, the sooner the better since pre-existing medical conditions aren't covered.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I probably wouldn't cheap out on it, since it just doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

Buy 3 cases of wine, 36 bottles, spend $5 more per bottle (so it's a $7-8 bottle), that only adds up to $180.

But as mentioned, it really depends on the overall budget.

LogisticEarth posted:

Also, weddings are one of those things where certain family members might throw you a bit of extra cash to help upgrade certain things they'd like to see you have at the wedding. Might want to float the idea that you'd like to spend more on wine, but lack the funds. If she REALLY wants you to have better wine, she can make it happen herself.

Heh, yeah, we told my mom we were just going to get the big bottles of Yellowtail or something and she jumped in about picking the wine and paying for it.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 28, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

C-Euro posted:

We will probably send cards to our vendors anyway but I wanted to see if this is required or us going above and beyond.

I usually just Google "emily post" + my question when I have etiquette doubts.

http://www.emilypost.com/weddings/wedding-registries-gifts-and-thank-yous/167-wedding-thank-yous

quote:

Suppliers and vendors. You don’t have to write everyone you hire for services, but anyone who exceeds your expectations will appreciate a courteous note of thanks.

When the etiquette experts say something is not required, it is DEFINITELY not required.

Of course, every time I read one of those pages, I find something new that I didn't realize you were supposed to do. Gifts for the people who throw you a bridal shower? Oy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, that is pretty much exactly what we are doing. Down to the single friend who wanted to bring a +1 because she wouldn't know anyone, which was a true fact so we relented.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought you would have venue, caterer and such booked before save the dates.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

http://perfectpotluck.com

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

zakharov posted:

The venue we like includes 8 hours with our rental fee, including setup and breakdown (so about 5 hours for the ceremony and reception). For $500 more, we could either have one extra hour at a Sunday wedding or an 8 hour event on a Saturday. How would our money be best spent?

Don't forget that there may be other impacts of having a longer reception. Like caterers, photographers, and videographers often charge extra if it's a longer wedding than whatever their standard is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sweet Custom Van posted:

(or mounting it to foamcore with spray adhesive yourself, if you're confident with that process).

I thought I was confident in this, and now I have a crooked map (which is a display background for our wedding so it might still be ok.) So, watch out!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No family?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Re: the budget, there are just too many things that go into it to really compare. 150 guests is probably 120 attendees or so. So your $5000 ends up being $40 a person. Wine and beer if you provide is probably $5-10 per person, so you have $30-35 per person for everything else. So you better have a drat cheap venue, and food that is not on the fancy side.

But I've been to a wedding like that, and it was perfectly fine. It didn't feel swanky, but they weren't swanky people. You have to have no problem with calling in favors from friends and family though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of going into debt, I was surprised at how many vendors are willing to take credit cards, without even a fee. I was expecting to write a lot of checks.

That $10k catering bill is going to get us a lot of rewards points.

Mandalay posted:

Could you share your budget? I'm imagining that we could do a $20k wedding for more than twice as many (225) people.

Wedding-spot.com quote: http://imgur.com/qqs2pSd

Incidentally, one part of that quote seems a bit off. $2013 meal cost for 225 people? That's $9 a person.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 23, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not many people getting videographers, eh?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, we are doing the license stuff right now. Fun things in Connecticut:

1) Only good for 65 days.
2) Must be from city where the ceremony takes place.
3) Requires both parties to be present to show ID.
4) Form requires full names and birth place for all parents.
5) Driver's license is sufficient ID.

I find the ID stuff annoying since we are getting married by a justice of the peace which is a pretty tightly controlled position in this state, and should certainly be able to check IDs at the time of signing.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 29, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

vyst posted:

I like the idea of a unique ring style like Tungsten or Titanium - how are they feel/wise wise? Are they obnoxiously heavy? Do you have any personal preferences on metal types? Last time I wore a ring on any finger was some bullshit high school class ring 15 years ago.

Tungsten is heavy, titanium is light. You can try them on at any mall jewelry store nowadays. When I did that, I felt the weight of the tungsten ring was a bit noticeable when I moved my hand around, even though I liked the idea of it.

Personally, I ended up getting this ring at e-weddingbands, it is titanium with a white gold inlay: http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/product168953.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Last minute cancels are killing us.

Fiancée's brother doesn't bother getting a plus one and doesn't tell us. (WTF.) Two older folks have the flu. Someone has to travel for business.

It's understandable, but trying to fill spots at the last minute sucks. For stress reasons, I'd really prefer to just leave the spots open and treat them like no-shows, but at the price we are paying per head, that's a hard sell.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yay, we did it! DIY photo booth was a blast.

Edit: Now that I'm at a computer, a bit more info. Here was our setup:

iPad Air 2: $500, but we already had this
Grifiti Nootle iPad holder: $14
iShutter BlueTooth remote: $12
Ravelli tripod: $26
PB Party app: $40 (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocketbooth-party-photo-booth/id560180763?mt=8)

The app was quite expensive, but it worked really well and had a lot of customization, and supported locking out the controls and such so no one could screw things up. The Bluetooth remote stopped working at some point, but I haven't figured out why yet, and people did fine just pressing the button on the screen anyway. I also bought a lighting rig in case it was too dim, but the section of the museum where we setup was well lit so we didn't use it in the end and that is getting returned.

We also bought a Canon Selphy printer, but it didn't work out, at all. The software we had for the iPad supported auto-printing, but it took at least a minute to even start printing, and then each printout took at least two minutes. After we did a test run at the venue, we realized it wasn't going to work and would just be a huge backup in the room we had things set up in, and we would have run out of paper/ink anyways. So instead we posted all the photos to Facebook the day after the wedding, and are buying a hardcover book with all the photos for us.

So, if you already have an iPad available to use, and don't care about giving out photos to the guests, a DIY solution works really well and will cost less than $100. Otherwise, it's probably worth hiring someone.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 12, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some follow-up on the videographer discussion from a few pages back. We did hire a videographer for our wedding last weekend, because we had budget left and I didn't really feel like fighting it.

Pros:
My wife *loves* the 90 second preview he already put up on Facebook.
I'm very happy our vows got recorded.
The videographer was really cool and very professional.
He was able to use available light for most of the shooting, so it wasn't that intrusive.

Cons:
It was quite expensive. Like as much as the photographers. There were cheaper options but I thought they were not nearly as good.
He had to use an LED light during the dancing, which was really obvious to us as the bride & groom.
Spending the limited photo time getting two sets of setups isn't great. And the video shots tend to take more time to set up and figure out if they will work.
Photographer and videographer have very different needs, and one will end up being the dominant force, and it might not be the one you want.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, that's a good point. We had hired all our other vendors in February, and then in July my wife decided she really wanted a videographer. So we didn't really plan it optimally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We only did one hotel, and they provided a shuttle. It was reasonably priced ($120) and any cheaper options weren't something we were going to recommend. A friend who got married last year in a more remote location suggested a close expensive ($250) B&B and a far away cheaper option, and had a shuttle from the cheaper option, and that seemed like a good idea too.

For our block, at a DoubleTree, we had a certain number of rooms and people using our code were the only ones who could book them. When we used them up, they added more rooms to the block. If we booked more than 10 total nights we got a free room or a suite upgrade. I think it was 10 nights, it might have been 20. And we probably only should have got one night of a suite but my wife yelled at them for trying to gently caress with our shuttle at the last minute.

The only other problem we had was that we had family members booking rooms for other people, because I dunno why, people don't understand how to book hotel rooms, and then the desk got confused because they weren't sure what rooms were for which people somehow. Which made my mom an hour late for the rehearsal dinner she was paying half of. But not our fault.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At most venues, good beer is very hard to get unless you provide your own. Premium beer is usually something like Heineken. At a resort which probably doesn't even have good beer at all, good luck.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another fun thing about destination weddings: either you use the venue's photographer as part of the package, or you basically pay for your photographer's vacation.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We got an invitation returned to us from the post office today, three weeks after the wedding and nine weeks since the invites were mailed. Where was it all that time???

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Something like this? http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/kelleygmain.html

Depending on the width you want, the actual gold starts to cost a bit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Uplighting with white fabric draping is the most common way to dress up a boring room. It really only gives the dramatic effect if you are going to keep the lights low though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=upl...efore+and+after

Most of those links are from DJ's trying to upsell, but it's useful to see before and after.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, I used to to work in Southbury. What's the venue? The Heritage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dazerbeams posted:

Yep! The bridal show is being held there too so everything is neatly contained. Any interesting tidbits about Heritage?

Not really, it's a nice place. We used to have our annual client conferences there, but as a local I didn't stay over and only saw the conference rooms and the bar. It's in the middle of a very large 50+ community.

Hi_Bears posted:

I think a CT marriage license is only valid for 65 days so you probably can't get one so far in advance...

It also requires both people getting married to be present, has to come from the town you are getting married in, and the town clerk's office usually has terrible hours. Fun!