Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That sucks. We had three other weddings at our hotel, and they completely ran out of rooms a month before the wedding, and the lobby was just a madhouse.

My one piece of advice is to have people make their own reservations. It's awfully tempting for parents to book a few rooms for their slacker relatives, just in case they are needed ("we can always cancel later"), but it really made a mess of things at check-in time. Like people didn't remember how many rooms they had, and the relatives didn't know whose name they were under so they just guessed until they got lucky, but then those were actually not their rooms, and everyone had similar names since they were family, and crap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We had pretty good success with people buying stuff off our honeymoon fund, but some people just buy what they want. We got an engraved cutting board with our names and wedding date on it, which is kind of neat in an abstract sense, but I'm not sure what you even do with it since I think cutting on it would ruin the engraving. Maybe people hang it on the wall?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Has anyone purchased a website service for their wedding? http://www.appycouple.com/features

I could in theory build a Wordpress site and manually track RSVPs through form-mail but this seems a lot easier.

We used AppyCouple. We were generally happy with it. I would spring for the custom domain and the custom wedding code, because the domain looks nice, and people are terrible with remembering our random number code. So that adds another $20 + $15 to the price.

Check first to make sure you like one of their designs. They have a lot, but you can't really customize them at all.

I really liked their RSVP system, since it lets you set up groups (like couples or families) and then any person in that group can do all the RSVPs. And you can define as many questions as you want people to answer.

One dislike is that the admin site only works on a real computer, not an iPad or iPhone. They have an iPhone app which works well enough for changing guest RSVPs, but not much more than that. A little annoying if people tell you something is messed up and you can't fix it immediately.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, we did paper invites, but our RSVP card just said to go to the website and use the code, or to call us on the phone and gave our numbers. A few older family used the phone message but everyone else used the website.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Or "I paid to get a website made in 2009, so I'm good."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

That will probably be the time you use to get family and bridal party shots unless you are doing all of those earlier on, too.

Yeah, we did the family shots then. Our parents weren't at the first look, for instance, or all the siblings.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good iPad based photo booth app? Venue we're looking at has an awesome nook that would serve as a good photobooth, SimpleBooth was recommended but at $60 I'm hesitant to try it without a number of additional recommendations. Needs to have a countdown, maybe some wacky filters, save the photos in a strip, maybe post to Instagram or something, nothing too crazy.

We used PocketBooth Party. It's $40 and has a bunch of options for styles. Like we wanted squares of four instead of strips because they post to Facebook and such better and it does that. Also it helps you lock down the iPad so people can't exit the app which is important.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Yeah I'd just shell out for a real photobooth. It's going to come out much nicer than the front camera of an iPad in low light and it's one less thing for you to worry about.

If you care about having printouts, definitely pay someone. The printer we got didn't work out, just too slow for each print and changing the paper was required too often and was too complicated. So we returned it.

Beyond that, we were thrilled with our DIY version. Total outlay was $40 for software, $15 for a tripod, and $10 for an iPad case. The camera on the iPad Air 2 we already owned was fine considering you are really only using images at a quarter resolution. We had the photos on Facebook the next day and in a printed books a couple of weeks later.

Sure it was some work but $500 is $500.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, we have a similarly unbalanced family, and both of our sets of parents are divorced so there are four factions. The only real problem was that one faction was only four people which made the seating chart more difficult.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

However, I've just read that the proper etiquette is that the married couple must be the first ones to leave the receptions
Maybe 20-30 years ago, but not a thing anymore.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m sure it varies for everyone, but five years on, the wedding photos we got the most use out of was our session the day after where we went to an Ivy League university campus and took posed shots with just me and my new wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We live near a wedding venue and often drive by when they are taking wedding photos before the ceremony. The groomsmen today had khaki suits and boy I cannot endorse that unless you like looking like the Air Force. Is that a new trend?