Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

chachu posted:

Is there any tactful way to tell people that, instead of presents, we would rather have a donation to our fund for a down payment on a house? For our poor friends in their 20's, we created a registry at Target, but is it considered... rude, I guess, to ask for a donation from our better-off friends and family who will just end up buying us a really expensive crock pot and some towels that we don't need? I know people have qualms about giving money as a gift. Is that, like, taboo? I mean, we'll know how much money they spent anyway if they buy something off of our registry. What would be the best way to word it? It seems weird to be like "Our wedding is [date], and we're registered at Target, so BUY US SOMETHIN' OR GIVE US MONEY."

There is no really tactful way to do it, and it is against etiquette rules for the two of you to actually tell anyone that you just want cash. But, you can have your parents spread the word to relatives that you would rather have money to buy a new home. Just do not put it in writing anywhere on the invitation or wedding website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

IanCaw posted:

I hate to post with another "What are your experiences?" type question, but, I'm not sure a better way to word this:

How many of you asked your SO's father (or had your father asked, in the other direction) for "permission" to get engaged? My s.o.'s family is incredibly close-knit (mine is reasonably close, but nowhere near the same level) and it really seems like while I could get away with not asking the parents' permission, it would be much smarter in the long term if I do ask.

Is it worth asking permission in today's world if it seems like the right thing to do?

I do not have personal experience with this situation (my dad actually told my boyfriend that if he didn't marry me he'd be in trouble), but I have friends who asked for the parents' permission. In both cases, the girls in the relationship were very traditional southern belles. If they hadn't asked for permission the girl would probably have been upset.

Is your fiance-to-be a traditional southern girl? If not, I wouldn't think that asking her father for permission to marry her is necessary.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

aneurysm posted:

Anyway... a couple friends of mine are getting married. My fiancee is a bridesmaid. On the entire guest list, the only people I will know are the bride, groom, and my fiancee. Where the hell do I hang out during this thing? I'll certainly try to mingle a bit, but I'm not sure how many people will be in our age range that aren't in the wedding. For how much time is my fiancee likely to be occupied?

In my experience as a bridesmaid, she'll only be occupied during the actual wedding & afterwards for a few minutes for pictures. During the reception she can eat & dance with you...unless you're going to one of those awful weddings where the bride makes all her bridesmaids sit at the table with her.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

IdeoPhanthus posted:

Edit: Also, what do you do after the "I do" & kiss if you're not doing a reciecving line (and the reception is elsewhere)? Most of the time I see that the bridesmaids/groomsmen walk out paired, but usually it's to a spot where the guests can hug/kiss them as they leave (and after that the wedding party does the formal pictures). I hate recieving lines, so where does the wedding party go when exiting down the aisle if we're skipping doing a recieving line? Do we just all exit down the aisle & walk straght to the spot where we'll be taking the formal pics?

At my friend's wedding, the bride & groom went to a small room to regroup for a minute while the wedding party handed out the birdseed to toss. Then the bride & groom did the whole "send off" running through the guests to the car waiting to take them to the reception. They didn't do a formal receiving line either, because everyone was going to be able to congratulate them at the reception.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

IdeoPhanthus posted:

That sounds nice and all, but what about the formal pictures of the wedding party together? Our ceremony is outdoors at my uncle's house. We're doing the group photos before we leave for the reception (between the end of the ceremony & the start of the reception). I've been to several weddings, but they all did recieving lines, so they exited down the aisle to a spot for the congrats, and then after all the guests exited/congratulated, the wedding party went back to the altar area for their formal photos. If we're not doing a recieving line, but instead we're going directly to the formal photos, what do we do...exit down the aisle & loop back to the altar?

We did the group photos of all the girls & guys separately before the ceremony. After the ceremony & before the reception we did the entire wedding party shots, which took about 15 minutes. We didn't take any photos at the altar, because the bride & groom weren't formal people. Do you really want super formal posed pictures at the alter???

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Venyia posted:

Just a question for consideration:

Has anyone had a situation where your father or other male father-figure wasn't available or alive for your wedding? My father died when I was 16, but I like the symbolism behind being handed from your young, family life to your new, husband-oriented life. I consider asking my mother to do me the honor of walking me down the aisle, but I'm curious how others handled the scenario.

My sister was married a few years ago, and she had our uncle walk her down the aisle, but I don't have the same relationship with him that she does.

I'm not getting married any time soon, but this is something I ponder occasionally anyhow! :) Thoughts, comments?

My best friend's father is alive, but they haven't spoken in years. She had her mother give her away, like you are considering. It was just as symbolic & touching had it been her father.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Belldandy posted:

Are wedding dresses sized differently than regular clothes or is size 10 what the models for these dresses usually are? I had always thought size 0 was the smallest and I am assuming most samples or models would be dressed in that size.

It's because wedding dresses have not been *vanity sized like every other type of womens' clothing. If I remember correctly from school (go textile majors!), wedding dresses have been sized the same way for decades. It's very similar to how patterns that you buy at a sewing shop are sized, if you normally wear a 6, you're probably a 10 in pattern sizing. This is also why when shopping for vintage clothing, you will have to go up a couple of sizes. Marilyn Monroe is a great example of this, because people always talk about how she was a size 10/12. Well that's great & all, but a 10 in the 50s is like a 6 or 8 today.

*Vanity sizing is an industry technique to make women feel better about themselves, by providing what is really a size 12 dress with a size 6 tag. This is part of the reason why women's sizing varies so much between brands, because some manufacturers stray from the standard more than others.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

WolfensteinBag posted:

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I just recently got engaged this past Saturday. :) He's the one that actually told me about this thread. We just had something come up that I wanted to ask everyone's opinion about, so I haven't read the whole thread yet, sorry if something like this was already talked about!

Just wanted to say congratulations to a fellow PI goon. And stop calling him your boyfriend!!! You can now finally say "fiance".

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
So we got engaged last night (finally, people were starting to wonder if after 5.5 years together it would ever happen)! And now I have to figure out how to plan a wedding. Does anyone have any recommendations for planners? Or any books to just stay away from?

We'll probably have a "normal" wedding, with a non-denominational ceremony & a reception at some hotel or reception hall type of place (there are a few locations I've been eying online that I need to go see in person). I just don't know where to start.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

WolfensteinBag posted:

Congrats again! Any idea when you're thinking of getting married?

Thank you! We're thinking either next October or March/April of 2010 (although I really don't want to wait that long). I just really don't want to have a wedding in the middle of the summer, because being hot makes me grumpy. I have to look at what is planned out for the next year at work so that I don't have a wedding when all the stores are in the middle of resets (I'm a visual merchandiser for Bassett Furniture & there are a few months a year where it's impossible to take time off).

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
The semi-annual bridal showcase in my city is this weekend. I'm dragging my fiance along so that we can hopefully get a better idea of where we want to have our ceremony & reception. Anybody have any tips for how to get through the day?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Why can't I find her a similar, but more affordable ring and pay for it all myself?

You can certainly do that. Find out what aspects of the ring design she really loves & then find a ring at a local jeweler that has those design elements. A "designer" engagement ring is no different from a "generic" ring. It just has some guy's name attached to it which ups the price significantly.

For example, when we went ring shopping I was drawn to the rings with a round center stone & round channel-set side stones. It didn't matter whether it was a designer ring or not. So when he went to actually purchase a ring, he chose one that had those design elements & I couldn't be happier.

quote:

Isn't it usually the guy who goes out and picks out a ring to surprise the girl, and she will love it regardless (assuming he put some thought and effort into it)?

Ummmm....no. If my fiance had picked out a yellow-gold ring with an oval shaped diamond, I would not love it. I would still love him, but I would find a way to exchange the ring. You have to remember that she is going to wear this ring for the rest of her life. It needs to be something that she likes looking at & that looks good on her finger.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

WolfensteinBag posted:

My fiance's a goon, & therefor I can't take the risk. :D I wouldn't buy anything online without at least going out to a shop to try things on, though, things look infinitely different online than they do in person. I looked & looked online, & wound up picking something pretty different than what I pictured in my head. I don't know about buying online after you see stuff, though. I like that when I do buy my dress, I'm going to have the shop there to do alterations and help me with everything. I also like the woman that helped me, and I want her to get the commission for it (yeah, I'm crazy like that!), but you can always take the dress somewhere to be altered. It's really up to you. But I would try things on, it's the only way to know for sure, I think!

I haven't started shopping for dresses yet (waiting for my mom to visit in a couple of weeks) but from what I've gathered from friends, the dress that you see in the magazine that you love may look absolutely horrible on you. You really need to try on some dresses to find out what looks amazing on your body.

I would be scared about buying a dress online because I wouldn't get to see the quality firsthand. In wedding dresses, little things like buttons & small detail embroidery is what makes a dress special. I wouldn't trust pictures on a website to give a full picture of what a dress looks like. But if you try on some dresses & find one you like I guess you could try & find that exact same dress online for cheaper....But like Wolfenstein, I'd hate for a salesperson to spend hours with me & not get commission off the sale.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
So, my mom & youngest brother came into town this week & we got sooo much done.

We have a venue for the ceremony & reception, a date, and most importantly...a dress!!! I'm scared to post about my dress because I don't want my fiance to run across it, but we're having the ceremony & reception at a hotel here in Charlotte. They have an outdoor courtyard for the ceremony & then the reception will be setup in a permanent outdoor tent (that is heated & cooled). I looked at a bunch of different options, but this was the best one in terms of getting everything taken care of by one person. They'll do all the food, cake, linens, chair covers, all the tables & bars. And they provide us with a suite for the night.

And because pictures make everything better....

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

WolfensteinBag posted:

Wow, the place looks really nice! I love places that are a blank slate like that, all white. You can do so much with it. :) Have you thought about doing lighting at all? Those white walls are perfect for adding color!

I definitely want to add some additional color. The wedding that was set up yesterday didn't really seem to add anything to the room. Their centerpieces were tiny & they didn't even do the chair covers....But the hotel will provide large hurricanes & some smaller votives for each of the tables so that will help with ambiance lighting.

WolfensteinBag posted:

My boyfriend had to go out there for work last week, and found out that the cafe at the train station did weddings! It's awesome, because they only have a max of 100 people, but we should be around 75. I LOVE the idea of going somewhere smaller and taking advantage of our small guest count, plus the place is so unique and so different from normal banquet halls. I was starting to get kinda bummed out about resigning to the fact that we'd be stuck with a banquet wedding, so this place was like a godsend! Plus, it's super cheap and right where everyone lives. :) It's so perfect!

That place looks so wonderful! The smaller size will be really nice, which is actually one of the other reasons we decided on our venue. So many of those banquet halls are made to hold hundreds of people, which would just look empty with only 100 people in it.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Tatiana posted:

Here is where my mother wants to have the reception
http://www.amherstwc.org/3.html
I'm already half regretting telling her to go ahead with it, the idea of spending so much money is really hurting my cheap, cheap heart. At least that place is pretty enough that we wont need to decorate much.

Okay....the pricing on that venue is awesome. The house is gorgeous & the veranda out back is amazing as well. A party thrown there would be very intimate & classy. I think your mom has really good taste.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

LittleCat posted:

If a one way flight is $1500, avoid the possible etiquette issue (and yeah, I'd be a bit peeved if I received an invitation to a distant wedding with only a few days notice) and invite them. Not many of those people are going to fork up $3000 to come.

Seconding this advice. Most of those people won't be able to afford a $3000 plane trip plus hotel expenses, so they'll RSVP no. It would be extremely awful of you to only give them 2 weeks notice of your wedding. What if they can afford to come, but need to give more notice at work? Or what if they need to get their passport updated? Do you really want to start off your married life by pissing off your wife's entire family? I think not. Please be courteous and give them about 3 months notice.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Gravitee posted:

A. If you are female and engaged/married - did you pick out your ring? If not, do you like what your SO picked out for you? Would you have preferred something else? Did you discuss at all what your likes/dislikes were beforehand?

I didn't pick out the exact ring he purchased, but we did go shopping together a few times. He knew what I was looking for (round diamond, channel set side stones, white gold) & chose the perfect ring for me.

As far as the proposal, I was completely surprised because the day before we talked about how he didn't have the money right now to get me a ring.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ghost story posted:

I've decided that if I'm going to have a veil, it'll be a birdcage one. I've narrowed it down to one, two, and three.

I really, really love the first one, but I'm not sure if it quite works with my dress or seems 'too over the top' since the wedding is super casual. Right now, I would think I would have a veil angled across the face, but that's not set in stone. I'm not sure if this would be a huge issue with the birdcages, but I'm going to be wearing my hair down if that makes any difference.

Opinions?

For reference, this is what my dress looks like, minus the belt, and have the straps lower on the arms:

I think #1 is kind of over the top, #3 is a little too subtle & #2 is the perfect blend of both! And since you have a more casual dress, a birdcage veil is definitely the right way to go. You'd look kind of silly with a traditional veil & a cocktail-length dress (at least I think so).

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Lowness 72 posted:

Still, are there any good resources for choosing venues?

I know The Knot is a scary place, but their local forums can be really helpful for getting venue & vendor recommendations. My NC forum even created a blog with easy access to everyone that anyone on the forum has worked with. Some of the girls can be kind of crazy, but as long as you take everything with a grain of salt, they can be really helpful.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

squirrellypoo posted:

My bridesmaids finally decided on their dress design! The only parameters I gave them were that it had to be a knit dress (no way am I undergoing extensive fittings for them on top of my dress!), and they had to choose the same pattern. Luckily, both of them have similar body types so picking a pattern that suited them both was relatively easy!

It's from Burda WOF magazine 09/08 #132, the Gant Exclusive Design dress...

There's more talk about it on my sewing site if anyone fancies hearing more.

PS: Could someone, anyone please tell me what the last acceptable posting date for wedding invites is? I think my question got lost on the previous page.

Very good choice on the dress! I believe 6 weeks notice is acceptable, but that only counts if your guests are local. For someone who needs to travel, you need to give more notice than that.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Egad! posted:

I hope this is alright for this thread, I'm not the one getting married, my cousin is.

I was just asked to be a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding. She is one of three female cousins I have on my mom's side and the closest things I have to sisters. Anywho, I'm not maid of honor or anything but this is my first wedding as a bridesmaid. I was the casual photographer for the oldest cousin but not in the wedding party. What is going to be expected of me? Will they tell me everything I have to do? Dress fittings are in a couple of weeks and we're wearing navy blue dresses, picking the styles ourselves (thank GOD) and making a fun day of it.

I am so excited but I am also kinda panicking. If this doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks!

Your main obligations: help plan the bachelorette party & maybe help with the bridal shower. Other than that, show up on time for the rehearsal & look nice on her wedding day.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

zap actionsdower! posted:

In case he does want you to go through church-related counseling and it's not for you, look into having a friend do it through the Universal Life Church. Super easy, and that's what we're doing.

Be very careful with that. In some states, like mine (North Carolina), online ordainment is not recognized as valid. Some couples have had the validity of their marriage called into question by the court system because they had someone marry them who was ordained online.

I'm sure in other places it's not as strict, but you need to check out your local situation.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

FidgetyRat posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for some place to buy kits of blank wedding invitations? I'm looking for something that has the invitations, envelopes, possibly place cards, etc all blank for a reasonable price..

I finished my design and we're going to need to print soon.

I got my invitation kits from Target. They also have kits at Wal-Mart, office supply stores & craft stores. If you want blank card stock, here are some online resources:

http://www.paper-source.com/
http://www.paperandmore.com/
http://cardsandpockets.com/

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Splat posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations on invite sites?

Wedding planning takes forever, crikey.

Do you mean places to order invitations from???

http://www.myjeanm.com/
http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

teacherkate posted:

I actually just went to a crafting thing last night with a friend and I've gotten it into my head that I want to make my invitations (and other paper product items) for my wedding.

Does anyone have any good resources for buying paper and envelopes in bulk? I'd like to just get some plain pieces in white or cream and then embellish and print them myself. I'm looking to try and save money by doing them myself.

Here are the resources I got from friends. I haven't used any of them, so I can't give a personal thumbs up, but my friends did have good experiences.

http://www.paper-source.com/
http://www.paperandmore.com/
http://cardsandpockets.com/

Regular craft stores like Michael's & Hobby Lobby are also good resources for DIY invitations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Okay, can someone give me some insight into the tuxedo vs. suit debate? Are tuxes really necessary? Will it look really strange if my fiance & his groomsmen aren't wearing identical black suits?

I'm having a hard time understanding why we should pay $150 to rent a tux for a day, when we could find a decent suit that he could wear again and again for just a little bit more. If we went the suit route, obviously they would all wear the same tie. I just don't want them to be under dressed.

Wedding background: late September wedding, ceremony in outdoor courtyard at 5:30 & reception immediately following at permanent tent in outdoor courtyard

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

doublebubble posted:

In my opinion... Ditch the ring, get eloped, and have a big fuckin party after.

All that other crap is useless spending.

Um yeah, we're having a traditional wedding. Get over it.

"Littlecat posted:

I'd suggest they all wear the same colour suit, at least, to set them off from the other guests. That plus matching ties and matching boutonnières and I don't think you'd have a problem. Outdoor weddings don't seem to me to need to be super formal, so skipping the tuxes sounds pretty sensible.

They'd all definitely be in a black suit. I just need to have him check & see if they each have their own black suit already...They should but you never know.

King Skinny Pimp posted:

I'm trying to find a way to get my fiance to wear a seersucker suit, but I don't think he's down for it. It'd be perfect, though, we're getting married in the pecan orchard by the family's old plantation home in Georgia.

Maybe I can at least get a straw hat on him.

Personally, I think this would be great. If he doesn't go for seersucker, at least get him in a light colored suit. Linen would be really great too.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Sneaky Monkey posted:

wedding websites?

I don't know how much flexibility it has, but googlesites lets you play around more with layouts & colors than the other pre-designed wedding sites.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Would it really make stuff a lot easier as far as proving residency on my part or any other stuff that goes down when you move to a new state? I've never lived outside of Georgia, so I'm pretty dumb about interstate moving and getting new drivers' licenses and whatnot.

All you need to prove residency in a new state is your lease/mortgage or utility bill. Getting married won't make that part any easier. Changing states isn't a big deal.

That being said, if you want to go ahead & get the legal part over with, then do it.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Fair enough. We're still going to do it, I'll be getting a new drivers' license and bank account anyway, I might as well just get them all with my new name to begin with, right?

CalamityKate, that looks like y'all had a lot of fun. Great pictures!

Sorry if I came off rude, I didn't mean it that way.

I'm also quite perturbed that I have to apply for my passport with my maiden name, only to change it once we get back & I get the name change process completed.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

amethystbliss posted:

I'm fairly sure you don't have to pay anything to change your name on your passport if you're just now getting one. Since I applied for my passport a few years ago, I think I have to pay the full $75 :(.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

The name change thing is quite intense. I've been told to start at Social Security and then go to the DMV. After that, there's passport name changes as well as debit cards, credit cards, the university's registrar's office, student IDs, hospital IDs and both health and car insurance companies. I've heard there are kits you can buy for like $45 that includes everything you need to change your name everywhere, but I can't personally vouch for it.

Yeah, thanks for the information :)

I can't imagine paying for a kit to change your name. From what friends have told me, it's not complicated. It just takes some time to get everything switched over. I too heard Social Security first & then DMV. After that, everything should be pretty straight forward.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

krazynuts posted:

My best friend and I are both serious with identical twins, so sometimes when the two of us are together we half-jokingly talk about "when" we will marry them. We got into a little bit of a discusssion about their younger sister who isn't close with either of the twins and has really never been more than just polite to my friend and I. My friend thinks its customary for her to invite the sister to be a bridesmaid (even though she's only going to have a few bridesmaids). I think that's not necessary since neither one of us has ever been vaguely close with her, and I think there might be another role she would play in the wedding. What would be appropriate? Or do you think she should be a bridesmaid?

I didn't ask my fiance's sister to be a bridesmaid. We get along fine, but I'd never think to hang out with her outside of family dinners/parties. She might end up being one of the groomsmen (groomswoman?) because our numbers are uneven at this point. Another good option is to have her do a reading at the ceremony.

Oh, and on the name thing, I am taking my fiance's last name. I plan to make my maiden name into my middle name, as I've never really liked my middle name anyway. My fiance's name is really long, hard to spell & pronounce (if you're looking at it written down). Hyphenating it with my name, which I always have to emphasize has only one 'L', would just make my life a living hell.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 25, 2009

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Logical Llama posted:

Going to reach out in here in regards to the guest list; is it still lovely etiquette if you allow single guests to take along +1 guest and have married couples/families not allowed to have an tag along guest?

Right now, I'm going over the guest list and I notice that there's quite a few families, married couples, and a few single guests. I don't know their significant others that well but I would hate it for myself if I made them feel out of place but at the same time, I don't want to go, "oh ok, you can have an extra guest too Family A."

tl;dr - Single guests with +1 guest - Yay, Family/Couples - Nay = lovely etiquette?

I'm confused by your question. Are you asking if a couple should be allowed to bring along an extra guest (like a 3rd person)? If so, I can't imagine anyone would do that and it's definitely not something that you should let happen. If you're part of a couple, you don't bring random friends to weddings....

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Nione posted:

Budget

And yes, for someone who's been anti-marriage and especially anti-wedding for the past 8 years, I have turned hypocrite INCREDIBLY fast. The little voice in my head that's been chanting "party, party, party" and "registry, registry, KitchenAid Mixer" for the past decade has finally won.

The only thing I don't see in your budget is invitations. You'll need to send something out to your family & friends. Especially if you have older relatives, you can't rely on the internet to get out the word.

And about the registry, don't feel bad, it's totally normal. I don't even know why I want a red KitchenAid stand mixer, but I do, I really really do.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Congratulations Maso!!! I didn't buy my dress online, but I do have some suggestions as far as dress buying goes...

1. Even if you do purchase your dress online, go try on some dresses in a bridal shop beforehand. It's a fun, once in a lifetime experience, and you get to see which styles look the best on your body. You may discover that ballgowns aren't that great on your frame & a-line dresses look awesome.
2. Get someone to measure you who has some experience. Many dress shops will take measurements for you, especially if you're in there trying on things anyways.
3. A lace-up back will definitely give you more wiggle room as far as fit, but it'll only tighten up so much. You will still need alterations once you get your dress to make it fit perfectly. A good seamstress will be able to reduce your dress by a size or two if you lose more weight.

Happy planning! Definitely get some pictures taken with the pups since they can't participate in the ceremony. I'm in the process of figuring out a way to attach the rings to Cambria so she can play flower dog & ring bearer.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Just found this and thought of you, :lol:

Wow. I can only imagine how well that would go over. I'm picturing a scene where she stops halfway down the aisle & starts rolling all over the ground.

maso posted:

Thanks.

I think my concern with trying on dresses is like, when would I do that? It's not like I'm going to lose 5 or 10 lbs, I'm seriously on track for losing like 40 pounds. That's a big friggin difference. I think it would be fun to try on gowns, but I dunno I guess I'm just worried about having a very different body by the time the fall rolls around and really not being able to do a thing about it now.

I'm in a better situation than some people in that I wasn't always a cow, I was perfectly comfortable in a bikini and all that when I was in high school (and wore a corset/ball gown to a dance once and looked great in it, so that's good I guess).

Have you thought about a kind of tag bag for cambria? That's what I had been thinking for Oddy but can't use now. Like some nice little pouch attached to her collar that the rings have been tucked into.

Yeah, that is a pretty huge weight difference. I didn't see what kind of lead times that website had, but most dress shops have a 4-6 month wait if you special order a dress. I wish I could be of more help, but I didn't have to worry about weight loss since I've been about the same since I got out of college.

I did find a really pretty collar on etsy for only $10!! I think I could easily make some sort of pouch that would slide onto the collar & safely hold the rings. Of course, I'm also planning to somehow attach a flower to her collar....She has a lot of duties.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 13, 2009

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

So I guess right now I'm thinking order the dress like a month before the wedding, and have someone take it in a smidge if I need it. Taking in just a bit around the waist or whatever shouldn't take but like a day or two, right? Or am I being totally clueless about this?

If you can wait until a month before the wedding, you may not need to worry about alterations with a corset back gown. The only thing that may need to be altered is the hem, but it looks like this site takes care of that for you as well. From a personal experience standpoint, my dress has a corset back & the only alterations I need are hemming & bustling. The corset allows you to adjust the gown if your waist line/boobs expand or contract a little.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Any creative but relatively inexpensive ideas for wedding favors? I'd really rather not do the jordan almonds in tulle thing...

Favors are the one thing I can't seem to make a decision on. I think I'm starting to lean towards 2 Lindt truffles in a cute box. I like the dark chocolate & fiance likes the white chocolate, so we'd put one of both in the box. I just don't want to spend money on some trinket with our names on it that no one will ever use. For example, I now have a sand dollar with our friends' names & wedding date on it. What am I supposed to do with that???

Anything edible is usually a good choice. The big trend right now is doing a candy buffet, which could be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
On the gift registry front....Most people (at least people I know) register at a couple of places. This makes it easier for your guests to find a place convenient to them.

Target has a wide variety, but their product lineup changes so often that you have to really watch your registry to make sure the things you want haven't disappeared from the store.

Macy's or any other department store are great choices. Grandparents & older relatives really like shopping at department stores for some reason & they have a huge selection of home goods.

Crate & Barrel...I had a fantastic time putting together my registry there. I don't know how much I'll actually get from it, but at least I can get 10% off anything I really really want after the wedding.