Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

melaneyelia posted:

When is your honeymoon? If it's August-November, the Caribbean might not be your best choice since those are the worst months of hurricane season. Although St. Lucia is mostly out of the hurricane zone, it gets plenty of rain during that time (re: flooding).

Sandals anywhere is pretty much the same. Beautiful beach, all inclusive, etc. But if you end up coming here and wanting to get elsewhere around the island, I can give you some tips. There are some pretty cool things like snorkeling, sea turtle watching, and zip-lining in the rainforest that make it worthwhile to get off the resort.

How bad is the rain during the hurricane season? We'll be leaving for our honeymoon that last Monday in September & I'm so scared that anywhere we decide to go will just be a washout.

Also, I would kill to go sea turtle watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
That setting is gorgeous. I love the detail on the side of the band.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

pwnyXpress posted:

She really means the world to me, and if it came down to it, I WOULD choose her over my mom in a heartbeat. There isn't a need to do this, though, and she's blown it out of proportion in her mind.

You should say this to her, as it's the only thing that's going to help. She needs to know that she is your new #1 priority & that you will stand up to your mom/family if they're being mean/rude to her. Trust me, having a loved one's mother hate you is terrible. It makes family gatherings really difficult & awkward. If you don't stick up for her when your mom makes snide comments, she'll feel like you don't really care about her.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

King Skinny Pimp posted:

And so the fights over the guest list begin. :sigh:

Is it really so wrong of me to not want to invite my mom's college friends that I don't really know at all when the only friends of mine that I'm inviting are the ones in my wedding party? I just want a small wedding with just family and <50 people and I swear to god if I have to deal with guilt trips about not inviting people I hardly know, I will kill someone.

Doesn't help that I just moved 15 goddamn hours from the state I've lived in all my life, I'm quitting smoking, and I'm PMSing all at once. Hooray life!

I just want a simple small wedding with mismatched china and wildflowers. :smith:

No, it's not wrong, as long as you're the one paying for the wedding. Traditionally, if your parents are paying for the wedding, they get to invite whoever they want. Now, most parents are willing to work this out & keep the list to a manageable number, but if your mom won't, you may have to consider declining her funding to get the wedding you want. That's because they become the actual hosts of the party since they're footing the bill.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

tishthedish posted:

Ugh, wedding programs. Is this really necessary? I can't get my fiance to help me do anything, and this is one thing I just really, really don't care to waste my time on.

What kind of ceremony are you having? Is it traditional? Are you incorporating two different religions or uncommon rituals (like handfasting)?

If you're doing anything outside the norm for your family/community, I'd recommend putting together a simple program to explain what's going on during the ceremony. It's also something for people to look at while they're waiting for everything to start. If you're doing an outdoor wedding, the fan on a stick style is a nice gesture.

Do you have any friends that would help you print & assemble? This is the time to give all those people that have offered up their help something to do.

There are some real easy templates here: http://weddings.shanbritedesigns.com/templates.htm

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Plate or platter posted:

I have never had a wedding cake from Publix, but I have had other cakes and they have all been awesome. Publix does a great cake.

I can also vouch for the awesomeness of Publix cake. I had one with a strawberry filling once & it was soooo good. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to translate that into a larger tiered cake.

Oh, and one of my friends had to get her cake from Wal-Mart (her baker split town with her deposit) & no one could tell that it wasn't from a "wedding cake bakery".

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Vistaprint is really great for Save the Dates if you want more control over the design. They also run free deals a lot, so sign up for their e-mails.

Magnet Street is great if you want something quick & easy. On some designs you can change the fonts & colors. But on others you just have to stick with their template & change the wording.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Guy LeDouche posted:

got the ring, now its only 12 days I have to keep my goddamned mouth shut. I think it turned out great. Thanks to all that helped.

ninja edit: loving christ, clearly that drawer is not a good place, as she has randomly gone in there twice already. gently caress me i'm going to blow this before it even gets fun.

Haha my fiance had the ring for all of 2 hours before he said gently caress it & proposed while we were watching TV. He's awful at keeping secrets.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

The Frogs posted:

Do any of the ladies out there think this ring looks swell? Am I over-thinking this?

Anyway, any comments will help.

I think it's a really nice ring. The band has a good shape. I like how it sort of comes up to meet the diamond. You are definitely over thinking this decision. It's a gorgeous ring & there's nothing strange going on that could turn her off to it.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

Quick question... Has anyone ever heard of having a couple male bridesmaids and a couple female groomsmen? My fiancee and I want to do that but my mom didn't seem too keen on the idea. We're gonna do it anyway but she is worried that people will dislike the idea. What are some thoughts or opinions? (I am also aware that it is OUR wedding so we can do what we want, and we will be doing this idea, just interested in learning more about this specifically.) Thanks!

We're having a female groomsman. It's not that strange nowadays. There are even articles about it on the knot, which certainly makes it mainstream.

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/bridal-party/qa/male-maid-of-honor.aspx

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ih8ualot posted:

Getting married on the 25th (less than two weeks!). The groom's checklist:

Reception dinner picked out... check.
Wedding license picked up... check.
Groomsmen gifts ordered... check.
Honeymoon events planned... check.
Gifts for the parents... uhhh

OH gently caress

I completely forgot about getting gifts for the parents. OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD. It's too late to have something engraved and here by the rehearsal dinner. GOD DAMMIT. What the hell am I going to do?

Have any of you gotten your parents and parents-in-law something for the wedding on short notice?

I'm just gonna throw out a bunch of ideas....You can do what Kitten Kisses suggested & just make their present a photo album after the wedding. Give them a card with a promise to send them the album when it comes in. They make pre-embroidered handkerchiefs for moms to use during the ceremony. You could give your dad a bottle of his favorite expensive liquor. There are these cufflinks from Red Envelope.

That's all I got for first thing in the morning.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ih8ualot posted:

Red Envelope was a lifesaver. They have delivery dates on the website! How perfect.

Thank you so much.

I'm so glad I could help!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

jomiel posted:

Haha that's what my parents said too. I thought getting the card itself would be obvious...

Thanks for the timeline suggestion, maso and Fire in the Disco!

If it had wedding bells or rings on it, yes it would be obvious. But if I didn't know you were getting married, that could be an invitation to a cute party.

Even if you just do something like:

"Miss Jomiel & Mr. Jomiel
are tying the knot/getting hitched/combining their lives"

it will be more obvious that it's a wedding invitation.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Just wanted to share these shoes I ordered with you girls, I think they are hilarious and amazing and can't wait to wear them. :)

http://www.zappos.com/product/7446304/color/3530

I love them. Please tell me you're dyeing them some awesome bright color.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

I just want to say that I totally underestimated how much TIME it takes to make your own invitations. I think it will be worth it when I'm finally done, but my god.

Um yeah. At this point, I wish I had just found the extra $300 & just ordered them online. I am really tired of cutting paper & feeding things through the printer.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

jomiel posted:

edit: GoreGess, Maso, and Emilar: Is it really that terrible?! What kind of design/work is involved? I was planning on printing my own and addressing envelopes, etc.

Well, my invitations don't seem nearly as complicated as Maso's & Emilar's invites. I did buy pre-cut cardstock for the actual invitation & then cut my RSVP cards & the accommodations cards from normal 8.5x11 cardstock.

It's just time consuming to individually feed that many pieces of paper through a printer. I bought a return address stamp on Etsy & used that to put our address on everything that needed it. Then everything got wrapped together with a big ribbon & stuffed in the envelope.

I'm just frustrated because I kept putting it off & now I'm trying to do everything while I'm in my busiest month at work. So I'm just a little cranky right now.

As for the other question running through the thread....I'm 26 & he's 27. We've been together for 6.5 years & are getting married in less than 2 months. We started dating during college & spent the majority of that time living 3 hours away from each other. Otherwise, we would have gotten married a couple of years ago.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Maso, your invitations are beautiful. Your efforts definitely show in the final product.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

teacherkate posted:

Can I ask which seller you used? I'm looking to get one done for our address.

Of course. I bought from Rubber Stamp Press. I sent her my information & she had the stamp in the mail 2 days later. It's mounted on a nice wooden handle & I love it :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

PhillyLucky posted:

1. Would having it in a non wedding season month really save that much cash, if so about how much? Some websites said 5 dollars per head, which isnt really as much as I expected.

I think that having it on a non wedding day would save more money. Have it on a Friday evening or do a Sunday brunch wedding.

PhillyLucky posted:

3. How much of our budget will the reception make up? Theknot.com said 50% but that sounds really really low to me (or maybe I'm wrong).

That's probably about how my budget worked out, but that's mostly because we really splurged on photography. My photographer is easily 25% of the budget.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Kitten Kisses posted:

Wedding favors have been like the hardest thing for me to decide on so far. Gonna get some little candies for everyone cause everyone likes food, but I want to get a more gifty gift too and everything either seems totally lame or really expensive. What do you all think of soaps as wedding favors? I found these the other night and think they're really cute: http://tinyurl.com/pusnoy

I don't know if it's the sort of gift that generally gets left behind or not though. Any other cute and cheap ideas people have are more than appreciated :)

Those are cute, but I never use soaps like that. They end up sitting in a dish somewhere collecting dust.

If you're already doing candy as a favor, I really don't think you need to add anything else. Just save your money :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Hawkeye, that is a beautiful ring!!!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Crab Legs posted:

What's the normal time frame to picking groomsmen/bridesmaids?

I'd say the latest you can choose attendants is 6 months before the wedding. We knew who we wanted to be in our wedding before we even engaged, so we asked our friends within the first month of our engagement.

That's one of the questions people will start asking, along with "Have you set a date?!?!?!" So if you can give them an answer it will make them shut up faster.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

jomiel posted:

But then they start asking other questions like Where is it?! What are your colors?!

This is very very very true. Is it strange that one of the things I'm most excited about (other than actually getting married) is the end to the "How's the planning going?" questions?

One more month & then I can start preparing for "So when are you having kids?"

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Friendly Geek posted:

I have another major question, for those that bought their dress from the standard dress outlets... If you had to have your dress made, how long did it actually take for you to see the finished product? I would prefer to have the dress in the process by this October for my wedding next October, so there is plenty of time for any necessary alterations. Am I completely crazy? My mother's saying we don't need that much time. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I don't want her to have to worry about paying for rush fees and all that. I've heard from the few dress places that I went to that it could take from six months up to ten if you're getting a dress that's got to be measured hollow-to-hem.

Any info you ladies might have for me would be so very appreciated, it's not even funny, if only to help settle things with my mother and I.

A lot of this depends on the designer of the dress. There are some designers that will create a dress from scratch from your measurements, but I think most designers produce dresses in standard sizes. And then from there, your bridal shop or local seamstress alters it to your body.

My dress took 6 months to come in, which I think is a pretty standard time frame.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Lackadaisical posted:

:) Congrats!

Whats a good present to send to someone who got married? A friend of mine had to miss two of his cousins weddings and wants to send them something anyway. They're not that close so he can't just ask.

They most likely have registries. That is always the safest thing to do, because if you're not close with the couple you don't know their style or needs. They could already have everything they need for their kitchen, but really need some great sheets.

Gift cards & money are always really great too :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

roop posted:

I have a custom wedding card design that I'm making myself. What's the best way to get it printed into actual cards (i.e. with embossed printing on quality paper and folded in half)?

All the wedding invitation websites only have printing for their own designs.

You need to look into local printing companies.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Wait, tungsten carbide can't be resized? Our jeweler said it would be fine to resize my husband's band if we needed to when we bought his band.

But you are right on it not ever scratching. That poo poo is resilient as gently caress.

Our jeweler told us his band couldn't be resized. If his finger gets bigger/smaller we'll have to buy a new ring.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Weird. I wonder if it has to do with the style or something. Huh.

If I remember correctly, it's because the metal doesn't soften when it's heated, like gold or platinum. Maybe your jeweler just meant that they will replace the ring with one in the correct size if it needs to be changed?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Gravitee posted:

Now that I have some free time on my hands, I'm going to reorganize the OP with updated links, suggestions, and advice that has been posted in the thread so far. Let me know if there is something you think should be included!

I'll give you some links :) I have not used all of these, obviously, but they have good reviews from friends.

DIY Flower Ordering
Fifty Flowers-http://www.fiftyflowers.com/
Sams Club-http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=605

Invitations
Wedding Paper Divas-http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/
Paper Source-http://www.paper-source.com/
Jean M-http://www.myjeanm.com/

Photo Booth Rental
Party Booths (nationwide)-http://www.partybooths.com/

Online Dress Ordering
Great if you need a lower price for a gown you love. Since these are also brick-and-mortar stores you know that you're getting the real thing, and not some knockoff if you bought it off Ebay. They're also great for ordering bridesmaid dresses.
Pearl's Place-http://www.pearlsplace.com/
Jay's Bridal-http://www.jaysbridal.com/

Wedding Blogs/Inspiration Sites
Wedding Bee-http://www.weddingbee.com/
Style Me Pretty-http://www.stylemepretty.com/
DIY Bride-http://www.diybride.com/
Shanbrite Designs-http://weddings.shanbritedesigns.com/ (This is a very poorly designed site, but she has lots of templates & free fonts to download)
Project Wedding-http://www.projectwedding.com/

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

e: BY THE WAY, my wedding is exactly 30 days away as of today. SO excited. Though I just found out our officiant is in jail through tragic circumstances, so we're going to have to wrestle up another.

Um what?? Were you having a friend marry you or was this an actual officiant?

By the way, my wedding is in 9 days. And I cannot wait for it all to be over so we can get our asses to the Caribbean.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

jcschick posted:

I'm sure this has been asked in the pages previously but I'm trying to do Do-It-Yourself wedding programs but am wondering how to go about it. Honestly I don't care too much about the programs but all we've got is a little generic color printer. Any suggested online templates? Where could I get the paper...just a Kinko's or something? I'm just afraid I'll gently caress these up and then have to have a professional do it for a lot more.

I just want a slim program that opens up, gives the steps of the service and the names of the wedding party with a line of poetry on the very front.

I just bought 65lb cardstock from Staples & printed them out at home. I can e-mail you what I came up with if you need ideas. I didn't do any cutting, just printed on both sides of the cardstock & then folded it in half.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Fire In The Disco posted:

We made our programs. They turned out pretty awesomely, and were definitely original. Rather than printing them at home, we had Office Max print and cut the linen paper and card stock for us. It was really inexpensive, and we were able to assemble them ourselves. That was wonderful, since they have better printers than we do. Here's how they turned out:

My husband made a template so that the ivory linen paper pieces could all be cut from one sheet of paper, and then we had the card stock cut to 1/4" larger than the largest piece of linen paper. All in all, for linen paper, card stock, printing, two mini hole punchers and a zillion gemstone brads, we spent under $100. I can give you the template if you're interested in it; just PM me.

I initially wanted to do something just like that, but the wedding is in 4 days so we took the easiest route possible. They look really good by the way. :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Whitey Ford posted:

Here's her ring (wish I was a better photographer);

Here's a great tutorial on taking great ring pictures.
http://www.weddingbeepro.com/2008/12/08/how-to-take-amazing-engagement-and-wedding-ring-photos/

The ring is beautiful by the way :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
eknomf if your friend isn't a complete douche, they'll understand if you don't bring a gift. If you do have a little to spare, a gift card to one of the stores they registered at is always appreciated. Even $20 will help buy something they didn't receive.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We're back from the honeymoon & I am really not ready to go back to work! The wedding & reception were wonderful, even though it poured the entire day & my outdoor wedding got pushed inside.

We don't have any good pictures back yet, but here's one that a cousin took during the first dance.

It's still kind of weird to say 'husband' now. I slipped up yesterday & had to correct myself. :blush:

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

ucmallory posted:

TLDR: I think my reception spot may not be worth its salt. Now I'm sad that I have to find somewhere else.

Things I find "off" about the venue:
1. Soda is charged based on consumption, instead of a flat fee per guest. I understand charging for alcohol based on consumption, but soda???
2. They won't meet with you on a Saturday to sign the contract.
3. The cloth napkin thing....I've never heard of a venue that provides linens, not providing them to people that choose a buffet.

If you're this frustrated now with the venue, it probably won't get much better as the year goes on & you get deeper into planning. This sounds like the type of place that will keep coming up with extra charges that you knew nothing about.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

BulletRiddled posted:

In our invitations we included an email address and phone number for RSVPs, and so far exactly four people have responded out of the 150+ we've sent out. From what I've heard through family and friends, pretty much everyone is planning to come and bring a guest or two, but only four have given us a concrete "yes" and the number of additional people they're bringing. We've got roughly two weeks to finalize everything, and the number of people coming is anywhere between 8 and 300. I'm starting to see why everyone gets so stressed out while planning this stuff.

I had a hard enough time getting people to drop a pre-addressed & stamped envelope in the mail. I can't imagine how hard it would have been if people actually had to put forth the effort to call me to RSVP.

You need to get your fiance, parents & in-laws to start calling people for you.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

It looks like you two really enjoyed yourselves :) So glad to see that the dogs could make it out for at least part of the celebration!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Haha yeah...well the dogs weren't allowed on the beach but we took them out for pictures. Snapshot preview of what my real photographer was posing us for, just for you Cambria:

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I loved my colors sooo much, everyone at the crafts store and people who didn't know me got ugly faces when I told them our colors were green and brown. Whatever, I knew how nice it would look, most people have stupid taste in color so I never let it bother me.

Thank you for the picture :) I promise I'll share the ones of us & Cambria when I get them back. I don't think I mentioned it in my post-wedding reply, but she made it down the aisle & sat through the ceremony without making a peep. I was so proud of her :)

My initial color choice was green & brown, but I became obsessed with green....so all the accents became green & the backdrop was white. I can't believe people said that green & brown would be ugly! That is one of the hottest color trends in weddings & home furnishings right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I'll just give our whole "special song" playlist...

Ceremony
Seating of Grandmothers: Vitamin String Quartet - Tribute to Coldplay's Yellow
Seating of Mothers: Ben Folds Five - The Luckiest
Groom & Groomsmen: Greg Laswell - Off I Go
Bridesmaids: Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
Bride: Coldplay - 'Til Kingdom Come
Recessional: Further Seems Forever - On Legendary

Reception
Entrance: Coheed & Cambria - Welcome Home
First Dance: Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Follow You Into the Dark (performed by one of our best friends) :)
Cake Cutting: Cake - Love You Madly
Bouquet Toss: Gwen Stefani - Crash
Garter Toss: Secret Lives of the Freemasons - It Only Took a Whisper
Last Dance: Bosc - Evolve (this is a beautiful song & would make a great bridal entrance or first dance song too)

Vitamin String Quartet is great for ceremony music. They cover pop music as a string quartet (obviously) & is a great way to incorporate music you like.