Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Nyvinyd posted:

For another shot as far as ring prices and what you get for your money, I got this for my fiance. I bought the setting and stone on ebay, I think around $450 for the setting and around $80 for the stone, then another $80 on getting them put together and having it sized.

She likes it, and I didn't have to finance it.

What is that, a sapphire? It's really pretty, great choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ih8ualot posted:

I think his point wasn't so much, "I'm the man and therefore I buy the ring URRG" but more "This is important to me so I feel it'd be more heartfelt if I paid for the ring with 100% of my hard-earned money. If I brought her parents into it, that's taking the easy way out."
Agreed, what he's saying is that he wants the engagement ring to be a gift from him, not a gift from him and two silent partners. It may not agree with some people's sensibilities, but if it makes him happier, then he should buy a ring within his means with his own money. That's what I'd prefer to receive if the ring were going on my finger.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

moana posted:

I'd be interested to hear what other people have to think about this, but the idea that a ring should require some sort of sacrifice (for what? so that he can prove to me just how much he cares?) sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Trust me, you don't really want to know what the people at pricescope think about rings. You'll get good tips about the actual buying of the diamond, but when it comes down to the people there who are actually receiving those diamonds, it's pretty much the Oprah's book club crowd who grew up being told too many fairy tales.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

inaniloquent posted:

I'm really sad right now. Ben and I were planning on flying to Wisconsin the day after Christmas so I could meet his extended family, and so he could meet my favorite aunt who lives in Minnesota. We were going to have a big engagement celebration of some kind.

He just got a new boss who is trying to act tough to earn respect, and she said that taking a week off of work is "excessive" and she won't allow it, but did it in a passive aggressive way by leaving a note for everyone in the break room and leaving before he got a chance to read it. He doesn't work at a high-pressure law firm or any place where his absence would throw everything out of gear, he's one of the shift leaders at a chain video store! :wtc:

She is using bureaucratic bullshit, stating that when people apply, if they say they can work holidays, they must work every holiday.

We bought plane tickets already. Fuuuuuuuuck.

edit: I realized this doesn't strictly count as wedding stuff, but it's impeding with our wedding planning, anyway. A lot of his family isn't financially or physically able to come to California for the big day.

Life is short, and there are always going to be chain video stores. Either get the full week off or walk, it's not worth it to work a job that makes you put your family second when it pays that little.

edit: that's to him not to you but its good advice all around!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

WierdFishes posted:

I love the emphasis on cut. We mark on the tag the cut as well as everything else. If a diamond has a lovely cut, we don't hide it. Everyone thinks that we carry 'superior' Canadian diamonds simply because we bring in only ideal cuts. They're all damned I1 G's,
I'd be pretty loving impressed if you're actually getting GI1s out the door, the lowest I've ever been able to sell to someone is an SI3, and that's only because they were poor as hell but wanted a big diamond. Then again the store I work for is full of poo poo so I'm sure the SI3 I sold was an offmake :smith:

edit: one of the reasons I hate where I work: we tell customers that cut only makes 3% of the difference in a diamonds appearence, and the rest is a factor called 'quality of rough' that isn't on certs so you need a 'trusted salesperson' to judge. What the gently caress is that poo poo?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

lord1234 posted:

I chose a tungsten carbide ring. Be warned, they are unbreakable. If you EVER break your finger, get it off quick quick, or you will need some serious emergency work. The only way to break them is to apply counterforce at two points, so two pairs of pliers on either side twisted in opposite directions.

There are tales of hospitals having to call janitors to get them off. Jewelers can NOT remove them with jewelers tools
These days, most tungsten carbide rings are made with a built in break point - you won't be able to see it, but there's going to be a point in the ring where if you slam it hard enough, it'll crack right in half. You really have to hit it hard though, so don't worry about it on a daily basis. It's just for the aforementioned emergencies.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bambi posted:

For instance I've seen some on eBay described as "clarity enhanced" - what does this mean?

There are a couple of ways to clarity enhance a diamond; most of which you'll find will be either fracture filled or laser drilled.

For fracture filling, if there's any kind of cavity, they fill it with a solution with a similar refractive index (an indicator of how it manipulates light), so that it looks like a diamond with no fillings. This is something you'll be able to tell when you look at the diamond under magnification; the substance they use to fill the cavities doesn't quite match up to the look of the diamond, and it's got an iridescence a bit like looking into an oil slick on the side of the road.

Laser drilling is when tiny drill holes are made in the diamond, and a chemical solution is poured in to either bleach or dissolve an inclusion. Then, once the inclusion is removed, the tiny drill hole is filled with another solution with similar light play, like in fracture filling. Again, you can tell if something's been laser drilled if you magnify it; you'll see little trails through the diamond that looked like extremely tiny anthill tunnels.

From eye length, neither of these things are extremely bothersome if done well enough, but if you buy a clarity enhanced diamond, you should always disclose that fact to anyone who works on it in the future (sizing/mounting/etc), because the diamonds are more fragile when clarity enhanced, and the treatments can be cause for damage if not handed properly.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Psylocibe posted:

Wound up selecting this stone:

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17333326&weight=0.56

I thought it looked amazing in person but the people on the diamond forums are talking poo poo about it :smith:

If I can help; I'm a jeweler, and I've also read your posts on Pricescope (it's not too often I see the two worlds of SA and PS collide, so it's been a somewhat interesting read.)

Admittedly, as far as cut goes, your stone is not 'Excellent Ideal Perfect', etc, but you know what? Very few stones are, and cut theory for round brilliants isn't set in stone (no pun intended). Pricescope in particular has a real love affair with the Holloway Cut Advisor, which I'm fairly neutral to because it certainly serves a purpose, but I'll be the first one to tell you that it isn't the be all and end all of diamond cut grading. It treats diamonds as a commodity that can be broken down into simple mathematical equations to grade perfection, but disregards the fact that they are, at their core, a highly emotional purchase.

Essentially, if you liked the diamond, AND your girlfriend liked the diamond? gently caress it, you've done a great thing, and quite frankly, if Pricescope wants to nitpick over your purchase, then they can go shove. People oftentimes think that if you solicit advice from them, you have to take it, but at the end of the day, it's your decision. Buying an engagement ring is about making the two of you happy, and as long as you've done that, you don't need to worry about what anyone else says about your diamond.

Also, for what it's worth, there's nothing better than a good GIA E color diamond (I personally like them even more than D), so I've already got a bias to like your stone.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

Sup Rootbeer Baron. Brick or Click?

Brick. We've got a website, but it's not the best and we don't really ever do business over it. It's more of a 'hey check out what we have in our store.' I'm definitely not adverse to buying diamonds online (although there's a couple shapes, specifically cushion, that you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to buy without looking at it), but I do think there's something to be said for having a place to go where you and your bf/gf can just relax and try a bunch of stuff on in order to get a feel for what looks best.

I'm not the owner or anything, so as much as I'd love to use SA to talk about how much I like our store, I don't want to be put in the position to speak for the owner, so I'll just leave it that I'm a brick and mortar jeweler in Chicago.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

SterlingSylver posted:

At this point I'm really just pondering settings, and a lot of websites don't give all the views that we're after to really get a good opinion of what it is we'd be buying.

A good way to shop online is to first take a tour of a couple B&M stores and try on a bunch of settings to see what you like best. Then, when you've come to a decision, see if you can get a couple of pictures of it (or draw it from memory?) and have someone online custom make it while you buy your diamond from them at the same time. Alternately, you can always buy the diamond online, and go B&M on the setting. Most brick locations are usually willing to set a diamond you've bought elsewhere if you go ahead and buy the setting from them.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hawkeye posted:

This post is just to vent frustration at learning how complicated diamond shopping is.

I have so far went from 'oh, the jewelry store guy told me the color and clarity, nice' to

'well what are the depth%, table%, crown and pavilion angles'

and now I am learning more about this hearts and arrows stuff, jesus christ this rabbit hole never ends

Let me give you a piece of advice for diamond shopping that I think is one of the more helpful.

Take all the numbers you learn at pricescope - your star lengths, your crown angles, your hearts and arrows, etc - and just think of them as pieces of a very expensive puzzle. Are you buying a D IF stone? No, probably not, because it's rare and expensive, but more importantly, it's not necessary. You know that the diamond is still beautiful if it's got a little color showing from an H, or has that awkward feather in the girdle from the SI2.

Likewise, if you spend all of your time searching for a perfectly cut diamond, it's a bit of a white whale; you'll never find one that's perfect and there will always be a flaw. You don't want to be at the point where you're saying 'Well gosh, this crown angle is 34.5 and the pavillion is 40.7 but this LOWER HALF IS ONLY 75%!!!!'. You'll drive yourself crazy and you'll get so involved with the numbers game that you won't even be considering a diamond anymore, just a math problem.

At the end of the day, your girlfriend isn't going to give a poo poo if her table is a 56 or a 57, shes going to give a poo poo that she's getting married to you (That's the hope, anyway). So take all of the math and the science for what it is, a piece of a larger puzzle, and just relax and go with a diamond you think she'll like. That's why you're buying it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hawkeye posted:

Those are some good points, thanks.

So far, I think I have narrowed down some of the characteristics I will shoot for:

g-h color
vs2-si1
0.75-0.95 carat

and by using those criteria, then use the holloway cut advisor on pricescope to make sure that the cut is at by their score around 1.4 or lower.

By this and hopefully from images/reports online (i've noticed that good old gold, while having a lovely name, has what appears to be more data on their stones than bluenile/whiteflash) pick out a stone.

Then, have the stone sent to an independant appraiser to ensure it is what it says it is.

That's my plan, it seems logical to me but please let me know

Thanks for all the help/support folks! Especially johnnyRnR.

If you're going to shop with Good Old Gold, do yourself a favor and look into one of those new Old Mine Cushions they're cutting. It's not too often anymore that I really see a diamond that whips my head around, but those are real beauties. If your girlfriend has her heart set on a round, then by all means do that, but if she's open on shapes, the new OMCs are really top notch.

That sounds like a really lame rear end ad campaign from someone who works there, but I have nothing to do with the company and I'm just endorsing them because of how great they look. If I wanted a diamond in my engagement ring I'd seriously consider getting one, even though it would be much cheaper and less problematic for me to buy a diamond at the store I work for. That's how much I like those little guys.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

You have to ask yourself a question. If it was "worth" double the appraisal would they have sold it to you for half price? When a retailer's default behavior is to pass out an appraisal for an amount higher than the purchase price you know that it's just a marketing trick.

In my experience writing up appraisals for jewelry customers, some of them prefer we overvalue the appraisal based on past experiences where the insurance company pinched every penny and wouldn't give them enough to replace the piece as valued because they believed it could be done cheaper. I'm not saying overvaluing is always the correct way to go, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's always a marketing trick.

Having said that, I'm tired of getting diamonds back from certification labs (I'm looking at you, EGL) where they throw in their own adorable little appraisal for like 3 times what we'd sell the diamond for. It's a waste of my time and their paper.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Alfajor posted:

I'd be totally down with this. I've been looking for similar rings, but not finding anything.

And for the record, my girlfriend is not a oval office, I do love her a lot and you take that back :colbert:

The tiffany legacy's been knocked off by pretty much every custom house around, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest to you that if you show up to propose to your GF with a tiffany knock-off, it'll be worse than showing up empty handed. Maybe your girlfriend isn't like this, but based on what you've told us so far, I'm pretty sure that she's in it for the Blue Box more than anything else.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm not gonna go so far as to call your g/f a oval office, but doesn't it kind of hurt your feelings that she's so bent on getting a piece of jewelry that she's holding off on marrying you? Hell, if my boyfriend wanted to propose today I'd accept a piece of his own poo poo as a ring if it meant I got to marry him, and I spend all day selling and buying jewelry because I enjoy it so much, so that's really saying something. Aren't you at all bothered by the fact that the ring is her primary concern?

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 7, 2009

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Pig Boots posted:

Thank you for the links :)

Unfortunately, in the case of The Natural Sapphire Company, it's not just a matter of bad photos. They have diagrams of the stones that confirm the bad cuts you suspect from the photos (things are horribly off-center, not symmetrical, one side is visibly shorter than the others, etc.). The stones you posted are gorgeous :) .

I'm just such a perfectionist that if something is even slightly "off" (especially something as important as an engagement ring), it will bother me forever :( .

I know, I'm difficult :ohdear:

You're not difficult, I have the same problem with NSC. If I'm gonna pay a premium for a top quality unheated stone, I'd prefer it not have a window the size of a swimming pool. The off center culets bother me too, also the massive depth some of the stones have. I realize this is an issue of cutting for weight, but I'd like to think consumers are educated enough to realize weight is just a number and that some of the beauty lies in good proportions.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

I just wanted to show off something unusual that came in today. These are natural emeralds carved to look like leaves!

Click here for the full 800x640 image.

Click here for the full 800x640 image.

We're going to try to make engagement rings where the solitaire is flanked by a pair of leaves. They should look like diamond flowers with emerald leaves when everything is done.
How are you going to set the leaves? Is it just going to be prongs like you'd do with a three stone with pears on the sides, or are you going to do something different to play into the outline of the leaves?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

UtilityPole posted:

I've heard the same thing, but what a shady practice that'd be if it were true.

That's what raised the red flag. They just keep saying that they need it "to do a proper appraisal".

My first thought on reading your post was that they lost your paperwork, and regardless of what else they're doing with your appraisal, I think someone's trying to cover their rear end for losing your stuff by asking for your receipt. All of that paperwork should be on record both in your receipt and in the business' own files.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

Here's kind of a goofy question... We're in the middle of building out a collection of engagement rings for people who do not like diamonds. I thought I would ask, what stones do the "not diamond" people like?

Diamonds are my forte so I'm flying blind on what anyone else would like to wear.

I was just thinking about this earlier today, actually. I just completed my own personal search for 'non-diamond engagement ring stone', and although I ended up with blue sapphire, I had a couple other choices up in the air, namely spinel and alexandrite. I ended up not going with spinel since a) with Burma being locked up tighter than a drum, I didn't have the energy for a search for a good red, b) all of the blue spinels I considered had too much grey, and c) hot pink spinel, while beautiful, is not a color I could stomach wearing every day. I didn't go with alexandrite because I am absolutely incapable of deciding what color metal alexandrite should go in. White? Rose? Hell, even green could be cool with the right color changes.

Sapphire became the winner because the price is reasonable without being "cheap" and there really is nothing like a nice, ceylon blue. The superior hardness also made a big difference; if I could have done anything for an engagement ring, I would have gone with a real sick demantoid round, but it's just not a stone you can wear with any sort of frequency.

Other stones I've seen used in engagement rings with any sort of regularity are rubies, tsavorites, and aquamarine, but I worry about those last two seeing as their hardiness leaves something to be desired. You have a lot of options for non-diamond engagement stones, but for my money, I'd stick with spinel, corundum, and chrysoberyl. Anything else is an insurance claim waiting to happen.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Did anyone not wear a wedding dress in lily-white? I have always had sallow toned skin so white makes me look kind of sickly. :( I must have glanced in the wrong store because it seemed like the only other options they had came in baby pink, which I dislike even more than white.

I found this in a google image search. I think it's beautiful, unique, and non-traditional. Too wacky tacky?

I think it's pretty, but those are tough colors to pull off, both with the theme of your wedding and with whatever your hair and skin tone is. That girl's got the right look for it and I'm guessing she pulled together her wedding around those colors, but if you don't totally commit to a dress like that it just looks out of place.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm thinking of picking up this ring from an estate antique dealer. What do you all thing?

I have a bias because I love all estate jewelry in that style but I'm inclined to say that's a really pretty ring.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

STAT1C_X posted:

Thanks for the diamond advice, folks! James Allen is definetely a potential as its prices are slightly better than Blue Nile and you expressed the first negative opinion I have yet heard of BN.

Those other three places (Winfield's, Good Old Gold, and Whiteflash) are all much more expensive in comparison.

Edit: Not to say money is the only thing I'm looking at here, but when the difference in quality shouldn't really be much considering that all of the diamonds I looked at at each site bore the same specs, I'm going to use price as the deciding factor.

If you're just going to buy a round brilliant, you really can let price be the determining factor as long as you have all the numbers and a trustworthy cert (aka gia or ags) available to you. If you find something of good clarity with Excellent cut, polish, and symmetry, it's next to impossible to gently caress up. Just keep an eye out for things like clouds setting the clarity grade or a lot of fluorescence, those can haze up a diamond no matter how good the cut is.

If you're getting something more complicated like a cushion, that's when you can't so much play the price game and you have to take each diamond individually.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

I'll disagree with Rootbeer Baron on this one. GIA certificates only hit a few of the pieces that make a diamond good. Case in point - The GIA does not define the clarity of material or the source of a diamond's color. Both of those are big factors in assessing the quality of a stone. There are many more criteria that help determine the quality and price of a diamond than just the cert.

The GIA has also released a statement clarifying the effect of fluorescence on diamonds. They are all on a case by case basis since the Fluor simply isn't visible in some diamonds.

And the fluorescence can often make a diamond better. I have a very unusual diamond that will fluoresce yellow when exposed to ultraviolet light. How cool is it to have a diamond that turns into a discoball under a blacklight?

Oh I didn't mean to say it's always a dealbreaker, it's just something to ask further questions on. There's some diamonds that do get that weird oily look to them with fluoro, but I'll agree with you that most really aren't affected by it, and some stones are definitely helped by it. You're right about the color of the fluorescence too, I've seen a diamond before that was like EF color that fluoresced medium green, it was cool to see and the kind of oddity I'd want for myself if I was in the market.

Also, I generally thought the origin of a color of a stone was defined on a cert, if you're referring to the stone being treated or natural in color. Or are you talking about the diamond's type?

EDIT: Just to kind of clarify my position about the certification and buying diamonds sight unseen, personally it's something I wouldn't want to do myself. If I ever need to get a diamond online, no matter the shape and cert, I'd want it to be something I could have shipped to me to look at for consideration before I made the commitment to buying. I just happen to think that round brilliants offer less trouble in that regard because the basic structure of the cut is always the same, and varies far less than something like a cushion modified brilliant or anything that can display a bowtie.

I don't believe in trusting a certification sight unseen, even gia or ags, because I've seen both of them make calls I don't agree with. However, if you ARE going to buy something without seeing it first, those things help.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 21, 2009

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

Ask the seller to eat any sales tax.

:( Please don't tell people to do this. It's really frustrating working in a jewelry store when people come in and say 'Hey I saw this diamond on Blue Nile, can you guys do it for $500 less than them', and after you shave that off (cutting out staff commissions in the process), the customer says 'Ooh and Blue Nile doesn't charge sales tax either'. Where I work, in Chicago, sales tax is 10.25%. So, in our situation, either we have to take ANOTHER 10% off after taking more than that just to bring it down to internet pricing, or we're stuck having to break the law because some customer wants to ship the item off to their cousin Ronnie in Iowa and pretend they live there. And it doesn't stop there, that's when they also want to walk out with the merchandise, and pretend that we're putting the ring in the box, when really we should just ship some scrap metal or something.

This happens literally every single day at the store I work at. Everyone thinks they're above the law, and we get raked across the coals because we have the misfortune of having a physical store, when (for whatever reason that will certainly not last forever) the internet managed to dodge the bullet of requiring sales tax. It's really bad for business but customers do it constantly because they have no respect for the situation we're in. They come in and demand internet pricing but then expect brick and mortar service like same day repairs and appraisals.

So please, please, please do not encourage people to shave off the sales tax. I realize you run an internet business and it's good for you since you don't charge it, but there's a need for physical locations too, and they're getting destroyed by this attitude.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

maso posted:

Lousy business is better than no business.

Exactly. If we didn't take the offers we wouldn't have any customers, because everyone wants a better deal then the one they're offered, no matter how good the initial offer is.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

oneof27 posted:

So in your opinion, my price is fair and I should consider myself a happy customer?
I know the price on the diamond was listed around $5500, whatever that means. I'd like to feel like I was given a good price since I have bought diamonds from the same place on two previous occasions(studs and a diamond pendant.

No you should ask for a discount if you can get it, it's the tax that bothers me. Asking a store to cut out the tax is asking them to take away money that isn't theirs to give away, it seems like a six of one half dozen of the other thing but it really isn't. But you should go ahead and try to see if you can do better in general. It never hurts to ask.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

alreadybeen posted:

I recently bought a ring on Blue Nile and while it is great, my best attempt to get her ring size was less than perfect so it has to be resized. We called BN and it could take up to two weeks to get it back. I could also go to a local jewelry store but wasn't sure how much it should cost or if I need to worry about going to a different store than the one I bought it at. Half the band has some pave set diamonds, but other half the band is plain with no design so I think it is fairly simple to resize. Were only going to move down half a size (6.5 to 6).

Any thoughts on this from the jewelry people?

Just do it locally, you'll save yourself a ton of time. Depending upon the metal and the jeweler, you can get charged anywhere from 20 bucks to 50+. I've seen plain platinum rings cost almost $60 to resize from some jewelers, and once when I was younger I had a jeweler hit me for $80 to resize a very thin 14k yellow gold and emerald ring. At the time I think gold was half what is now so when I think about how much I paid it makes me very sad.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
No problem; I'll shoot you an email, but my last day there is actually Christmas Eve, so past then I'm just taking private clients through the store, which I'm still trying to work out. But regardless, I'll try and help you out with whatever you need.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Zeitgueist posted:

There's also Tanzanite, which is a pretty cool color.

Anyone have suggestions as far as getting her an affordable ring that fits my needs?

Don't get tanzanite for an engagement ring, it's going to get scratched or chipped. Get her a stone she can wear every day without worrying about babying it. Sapphires, Rubies and diamonds (synthetic or natural) are all hard enough that they should be able to stand up to the kind of wear that most women have come to expect of engagement rings. Moissanite is also hard enough to withstand decent abuse, if you want to go in that direction. Aquamarine, as someone mentioned earlier, is a possibility - it's a little bit softer than sapphires, but it's certainly going to take more punishment than a tanzanite.

If you like blue and you have some time on your hands, maybe try tracking down a nice blue spinel? The ones with large concentrations of cobalt in them are an especially nice blue, sometimes comparable to sapphires. Of course, these are all just different options, you should go with whatever you think will make her happiest.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Vital Signs posted:

Ran into a problem. Johnny and I were pretty much set on a deal. He gave me a great price with appraisal paperwork included. My girlfriend however, does not like the idea that the diamond only has a written appraisal/"is from the internet" and is not lab certified. She had some horror story of her mom having trouble getting a repair done, and as a result is giving me a giant headache. I know from this this thread that Johnny is a stand up guy, and I have no worries about him. Can you guys think of anything I can tell her to make this still possible, or am I going to have to go storefront and empty my pockets for lab certified?

Simple, If your girlfriend cares that much, tell her to look into a reputable independent appraiser in your area so that you can have the diamond looked at by a third set of eyes. If everything is as it should be, then she can suck it up and deal with it, and on the off chance there's a discrepancy, you can figure out the direction you want to take from there.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Rhaegar posted:

drat, meant to post that. It is graded by EGL. When the guy brings in the diamond I'm going to have the EGL lab in Vancouver verify that the diamond matches the certificate. Seems like I'm getting a good price based on pricescope. I do realise that generally EGL is not as strict in grading compared to GIA or AGS.

Here is the cert: http://i39.tinypic.com/2qve105.jpg

Are you sure that's going to be eye clean? Normally with VS2 I wouldn't be bothered but combined with EGL's rep and the fact that it's a step cut, I don't know what to make of the inclusion in the table and the two feathers in the lower right corner. (Are they feathers? I can't even tell, EGL's lack of key for inclusions and insistence on using blue ink on pale blue drives me crazy)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Hey everyone. I am looking at buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend and have set my eyes on this setting with a Marquise Cut diamond.

(P.S. I asked the same thing on PriceScope and was told that a band like that is less contemporary and would be hard to find at other vendors. I was just wanting to get SA's opinion on the matter.)

Pricescope isn't wrong, the style of ring you're looking at was much more popular 20 to 30 years ago, which means it won't be as easy to find on line, especially in yellow gold. What I would recommend in your case is that you shop locally and look for jewelers who might have older rings in stock; I know for a fact that the jewelry store I worked at in Chicago had tons of settings in a similar style jut sitting in a lower cabinet because the demand for them just wasn't there anymore. I bet you could get a good deal if you went to some of the smaller jewelry stores in your area and asked for some of their older style rings. If you do strike out, custom is always an option, but I guarantee you that there are jewelers in every city with rings in that style, they just no longer put them out on display.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Low Carb Bread posted:

Which is the part you need help with, buying a diamond or choosing a setting? For the diamond part, the best resource is Pricescope.com. I would do this before going to Johnny's site, or anyone else's, so you can get an idea of how diamonds are graded and priced.

Pricescope is useful but I've really come to feel that it develops unrealistic expectations in people with regards to what they should have in their diamond. I can't tell you the number of people I had walk into my old store who had like 3 grand in their pocket and wanted a diamond that was at least a carat, gia, triple ex, no fluor, 60-61% depth, 54-56% table, hearts and arrows, si1-2 but eye clean, and on the laser inscription registry. People look at Pricescope and think they can buy the world for a song, but they don't realize that finding a diamond that fits all of your criteria is next to impossible and that everyone has to make compromises. I suppose in the internet age one can surmise that anything is possible, but there have been times where I've sat online looking city or nation-wide for the bizarrely specific calls people have made and found nothing.

To make a long story short, what I guess I'm saying is that learning everything you can about such an important purchase is definitely a good thing, but there comes a point where you're demanding too much of something that's only 6mm wide.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 13, 2010

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JohnnyRnR posted:

Rootbeer, I had a question for you. Can you shoot me a PM/Email?

PM Sent.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

I wouldn't waste your time with the GVS2 since the cut seems kind of goofy and I definitely question the excellent grade. (Also why are they calling all of these GIA diamonds ideal cut? GIA doesn't grade anything ideal.) As for the other three, I'd want to see the AGS graded stone in person since that seems like it could be pretty nice aside from the peppery inclusions hanging out in there.

I don't really have an opinion on the other two, they're the same price, almost the same size, etc. The only difference seems to be the color; if you'd like something whiter and you don't mind an inclusion right in the table, the F is worth looking at. Otherwise, if you want an extra 3 points, look at the H? It's your call and I wouldn't advise buying any of them blind, I'd try to look at all of them in person if you can.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Ruggedor posted:

I asked a bit on the Women's Fashion Mega-Thread, but I thought I might get more responses on here.

One of my best friends is getting married next July and her sister and I are her bridesmaids. And she's letting us pick our own dresses. I did not realize how much trying to pick out bridesmaid dresses would suck. It sucks really bad.

I'm willing to spend $200-300 on a dress, as long as it's not poo poo polyester that I'll never wear again. I want something that's a real fabric, cotton, silk, or linen (especially because it's a July outdoor wedding). But I can't find dresses in both my and her sister's sizes (10 and 18/20), that aren't crap material.

JCrew doesn't go past a 16 although I like Anne Taylor, I'd like more choices. Any other suggestions for a company in that price, quality, and size range?

Maybe get one of those convertible bridesmaid wrap dresses that can be worn in different styles and fits? This is the only one I can think of off of the top of my head - http://www.butterbynadia.com/wrap.html - but I know there are like four or five companies that make convertible dresses like that now.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Sidmae posted:

I was wondering whether I should put a certain joke in my best man speech / toast.

"So today's been a very hectic day ... blah blah blah ... [groom] asked me for 'directions to get to the conception.' [Pause for laugh] I had a good laugh and said, 'I can't believe I have to tell you this ... its like riding a bike.' [Groom] says, 'Riding a bike?! Jeez it'll take forever to get there!'. I say, 'What? No its just an expression, and don't worry; you get there when you get there' to which [Groom] replies, 'but I have to get there before my guests!'

Is this too 'smutty' and/or too involved ... or just not funny? I was aiming for tongue in cheek, I think.

I wouldn't feel bad telling this joke in front of my buddy's parents, but I don't know the bride's side of the family well, and I saw a picture of Jesus hanging on the wall in their house

I think you need to worry less about offending the religious and more about offending those with a legitimate sense of humor. Your joke isn't the WORST, but....well, it's definitely not the best. You could retool it but I'd honestly just scrap it and do what everyone else does, which is tell a funny story about something the groom actually once did.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Maybe you should read the OP closer? It doesn't dismiss simulants, it dismisses simulants that are advertised as diamond or synthetic diamond. In short, it's dismissing people who are trying to bullshit you into spending more money.

There's lots of people in this thread who have synthetics, simulants and alternative stones that are very happy with their purchases. Don't come in and crucify people without knowing all of the facts.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

phlick posted:

Now if you're talking solely about the diamond, that's another story I suppose, but from what I understand CZ is just as hard (8.0-8.5 on the Mohs scale) as an emerald or aquamarine... do these stones also need to be replaced every few years? Is that what you're saying?

Well, yeah, that kind of is what he's saying. The hardness scale isn't linear, it's an ordinal scale that indicates nothing more than which stones are harder than others. Not by how much. The difference in absolute hardness between diamond and CZ is the difference between 1600 and 200, so there's a much larger gap between just '10 and 8'. CZ, emeralds and aquamarine are all going to develop scratches, pits and chips over years of daily wear, and eventually will need to be replaced.

The beautiful emeralds you see in museums that look as gorgeous today as the day they were faceted are stones that were worn strictly for affairs of state and other infrequent occasions, not every day on someone's hand. Of course if you wear them every day you're going to need to replace them eventually, I've seen sapphires that have been worn every day that look like fantasy carvings of the surface of the moon. Even diamonds aren't infinitely durable, but CZs and other stones like them are inevitably going to be changed by the ravages of time.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
It CAN last a long time, just be conscientious about when and how you wear it. You can wear it every day if you take it off when you're doing the dishes, doing any heavy lifting, sleeping if you move around a lot - all that sort of thing. I've known lots of people with colored stone engagement rings who have kept their rings in fine condition through every day use just by using common sense about what activities are appropriate for jewelry wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
loving around to see if i can edit a ten year old post, hello from the year 2020!

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 25, 2020