Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
This weekend I got promoted from girlfriend to fiance and am eligible to join this thread!

I have no idea what our budget will be. We've been living together for 4 years, and my parents have have hinted in the past that since they did not approve of this, they wouldn't be paying for the nupitals. Which is fine; we don't feel entitled to anything, but I'm still going to ask if they are going to contribute anything. How have other people handled this? I want to make it clear that I am not expecting anything, I just need to know. Because my parents are the type of people that might just not mention that they're going to contribute until we're like 4 months into planning and that would change the whole scale.

If there are no parental contributions, we're toying with the idea of a beg/borrow/barter wedding. I'm a painter and my fiance does video and web work, and we could probably pull in a few favors from around the community as well and get a lot of things for free. Plus we are crafty and I already have a team of two other artists on board to help me out.

So. This should be fun! We're looking at setting a date 6-12 months out.

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

CalamityKate posted:

Is there an existing market for a person I can hire just to be the go-between for my mom and I? :psyduck:

I'LL DO IT! I am craving motherly attention.

This is the conversation between my mom and I a few weeks ago:

"Hi Mom! I have great news! Scott proposed to me tonight!"
Mom: "What did you say?"
"...I said yes?"
Mom: "Oh that's good. ...I guess."
"You guess, Mom?"
Mom: "...I hope..."

That's not entirely beyond what I expected, but it's only gotten worse since then. My parents and I communicate primarily through email, and my mom's went from coming every other day to once a week, and the tone went from normal mom-crazy to flat and tired. I asked her if she wanted to be involved in dress shopping, and didn't get an answer. Sent her a couple of dresses I wanted to try on, and got an, "eh". Her other primary communication has been basically to say that I'd better make sure to choose a good location because my cousin had her reception at a VFW and it was "dismal".

So. I will handle all your mothers for you. Seriously, anyone else have crazy moms? I mean, of course you do.

Weighing in on booze: Our reception will be small and cheap. I'm not sure yet how cheap. It will probably be a dessert and drinks style thing. A recent wedding we went to had a bar tab set, and once that was reached, guests would be on their own. The tab wasn't that big, but the guests didn't even use it all. I think that's what we'll do.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Is there a guideline for how to allot the budget? We're having a small non-traditional wedding, probably with ceremony and reception at the same location, and a dessert + drinks (with limited bar) reception. Probably.

I found a dress today that I love. But it is almost a quarter of our overall budget. Is that absolutely ridiculous? I'm considering just buying the dress on my own and keeping it separate from the budget that my parents are contributing, because my mom would have a fit over how much it costs.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

I have a question about resizing. I'm looking at buying a vintage ring online that's a size 5, which I know is tiny. I think my girlfriend comes in at a 7 or 8, is that too much of a chore for a jeweler to resize? How much would it cost to do that?

My poor fiance didn't have a way to figure out my ring size (apparently a 5 1/2) and thought that the ring would be too small (it was at 5 1/2). So he had it sized up to a 7. (!!!) And then of course, I had to have it sized back to a 5 1/2.

Anyway. Pricing. That's the point of this post. It's a platinum ring. I think when he had it resized, it was around $20, but the retarded jewelers charged him for a white gold resizing instead of platinum. Not sure how that worked.

So when I called about resizing, they told me it would be $65. Another place I called wanted $55. And a third wanted $75. Finally I stuck gold with a small local shop, who charged $25. I would have also had the ring back much faster, if the jeweler hadn't been on vacation. They normally do 2-4 days, while all the larger local and chain stores said they had to wait for the jeweler to "come in" and it would be at least 2 weeks.

So my lesson is: call around.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
For some reason it took me forever to even FIND the forums on The Knot.

But now that I have, I really want to post a gloating thread in the Not Engaged (Yet) forum. Those girls are crazy. Listen, ladies, if I can wait 5+ years and never need to post on a forum about it, so can you!

edit: I especially like the ones who are like, "We've been dating almost 2 years already! WHAT IS HE WAITING FOR??!"

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

ElanoreMcMantis posted:

I will confess this one time, because I think it might put things in perspective for some other people. I haven't told anyone at home because I'm not interested in hearing any BS where I am in close enough proximity to punch someone for being a moron. Some people I'm sure would find it off putting:

My ring was 'used'. It was a trade up, the couple traded it in to go bigger because the girl wasn't satisfied.

I'm curious as to how many peoples' rings are used? My first thought when my fiance proposed was, "I hope to God those aren't real diamonds". Both for the cost and the ethics factor.

I was so happy to find out that my ring was "pre-owned". My man got a steal of a ring, and I have no guilt about buying a brand-new, waste-creating ring (we're annoying like that). Also, I've met several people who have confessed to me that they too have used rings, but only after I brought the subject up.

Now, to Big Bad Voodoo Lou: "Live within your means" is a fantastic mantra, and I think you should stick to it here. Also, it's rude of her parents to butt in. I don't think that accepting help from them is bad when you need it--say, your roof was ripped off in a freak tornado. But this is frivolous. Keep it simple, and save the extra money for a down payment on a house. Personally, I would have killed my fiance had he spent much more than I think he did.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Whoo! Finally made some progress on the planning this week.

We have a date set--April 18. And a venue. A music venue/bar. I'm a little trepidatious about this part-- we met with the moms a couple of weeks ago, who wanted us to get hitched at the local art center. I was cool with it for about a day, but the price is way out of our budget, I didn't get phone calls returned from them, and I overall felt like we wouldn't feel comfortable there. The fiance, MOH and I had half-joked about getting married at this music venue a friend of ours owns, and while there at a concert we decided to just go for it.

I'm worried because while Scott and I love the site and have a lot of memories there, the bottom line is that it's a bar. Even the owner said, "People have gotten married there before. You aren't the first. But I don't know why--it's a shithole."

We don't think it's a shithole. But we have different standards. The only really grody thing about the place is the bathrooms, and we can clean those. They aren't awful, by bar standards. The whole place is VERY dark, and it's divided in three sections. The bar area is gorgeous--lots of woods and a bar-length art-nouveau stained glass window as a backing. It has a small stage and an open area for the crowd, and an upstairs loft with a couple of dark booths and a pool table. We'd need to bring in some cocktail tables and figure out some lighting.

And the budget? Perfect. No rental fee, just a fee for booze. We'd end up paying slightly less than the Art Center and having booze included.

So Scott and I are totally comfortable there. I'm worried about what my mom (and his) will say as it gets closer. My mom knows we've changed our minds, but hasn't said anything.

Edit: Not really any photos of the place online (because it's so loving dark inside) but here: http://dotawesome.net/vaudeville/

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 14, 2008

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Maybe it's because I plan events for work, but I'm not at all concerned about doing any more prep at the moment. We'll knock things off a couple at a time over the next few months.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Papercut posted:

Anyone have experience getting a wedding dress custom-made by a local seamstress? My fiance and I are going to be in Thailand in December, and we're thinking we could save a lot of money by getting a dress made while we're there (I might have a tux made as well since it's probably cheaper than renting). If she brings in pictures of the dress she wants, do you think a seamstress would be able to make something similar?

That sounds incredibly risky, unless you already have recommendations on seamstresses there.

Also, how long will you be there? It takes a very long time to make a dress. You're talking like, a few months, right?

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

WolfensteinBag posted:

I have NO idea about finding an officiant, I'm actually having the same problem. I go to all these "Chicago" wedding boards asking advice, but they KEEP suggesting a couple companies that hire reverends to go out & do weddings for cheap, but we really want a super secular wedding, so we need a judge or justice of the peace. I have no freakin' clue how to find one.

Is having a friend officiate an option? We don't want anything to do with a church, but we also didn't want a stranger performing our wedding. My fiance has a high school friend who is a beautiful writer, and, as he says, has always had a great intellectual interest in love as a topic. She will be perfect to write a simple ceremony for us. (There is no way I should be allowed to write my own vows. I am a painter, not a wordsmith.)

I think I'm most excited about this aspect of our wedding. I don't know her super well, but we like each other, and I know that she cares deeply about my fiance and his happiness. Plus, she'll be getting married a month after us, so she'll be in just the right frame of mind. :)

Edit: Offbeat Bride Tribe: I've created an account, but that's it. I'd probably be more into it if there was a goon group.

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 30, 2008

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
3 months after the proposal, things are finally moving.

We're going to look at a possibly ceremony venue tonight. I hope that it is how I remember it, and that the fiance likes it. We already have chosen a music venue/bar for our reception, and it will rock.

I'm thinking ahead to my first dress fitting. My dress is from a boutique in my hometown, so I'd like to do a fitting near Thanksgiving. Which brings me to two questions:

Veils and corsets.

One: I really want to find a corset. Where is a good place to look for one? I'm sure my bestie can help with this, I think she owns several, but I'm looking for a few options.

Two: A veil. At first I wasn't going to do one at all. I have short hair (which is getting grown out, but I doubt it will even be shoulder length by April) and I am not a girlie-girl. A veil made me feel weird. But my maid of honor really wants to help me make a feathery headpiece, and maybe I could include a short (or even a birdcage?) veil for that? Basically, I'm asking if any of you have seen any cool solutions to veils, other than what is on Offbeat Bride.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

deltat posted:

Jumping in as I have a few questions. . .

I don't own any other rings, either. My boyfriend just guessed at my size. Unfortunately, he guessed wrong. He bought a ring that was 5 1/2, had it resized to 7 1/2, and then once we were engaged we had it resized....to 5 1/4. :D

Depending on the material of the ring, it's not that expensive to resize. Mine is platinum and I found a local jeweler to resize it for $25 (when everyone else wanted $60-$95).

I'm 5'6 and very petite, so your girl's fingers are probably even smaller than mine. If you decide to guess.

I still don't know who talked my boyfriend into resizing UP two whole sizes!

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

deltat posted:

She's not picky at all. If I got her a cheapo silver version of a ring, all she would do is wear the silver ring and when I brought her to the store to get a gold one she would say they are too expensive and the silver one is fine.

If she really isn't picky, you'll probably be fine. I had the same requirements, although I think my fiance spent more than I would have wanted on my ring. But he has a good sense of aesthetics and picked out a ring that is gorgeous (and looks nice on my tiny, tiny fingers!)

Tips: (i might have posted some of this already) I didn't want a diamond, either. And my fiance, in his research, learned that it is incredibly wasteful to mine the ore for any type of metal. Depending on the metal, you have to mine anywhere from 3-10 tons just to get an ounce. Lots of waste and damage!

So he went used. I was so, so happy. My second thought after, "Oh my God, I'm getting proposed to!" was "poo poo, that'd better not be a diamond."

Basically, he went to Zales and asked to see pre-owned (not necessarily uvintage or estate) jewelry. What he learned is that they basically mix in pre-owned with new stock, and, at least according to the salesperson he talked to, they don't always know which is which. He just happened to catch a nice little ring before they did that.

Additionally, they don't know what they gently caress they're talking about. :D He bought what he thought was a white gold ring, and had it resized. When he returned to pick it up, they very grumpily informed him, "Just so you know, this should have been more expensive--it's platinum." Score. (This has since been confirmed by a better, local jeweler.)

So give pre-owned a shot. I have a platinum ring with diamonds, totally guilt-free. And relatively cheap.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Be careful if you do the string. A ring should be difficult to get over the knuckle, so pull that string pretty taught.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Whoo! Mine is Maggie Sottero, too! I think I could wear just about any dress of hers.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

RedFish posted:

The best way to deal with this, in my opinion, is to enlist a gossipy family member to let people know on the down low that you're leaving the country and can't take any household items with you, so the most helpful thing to give would be the ability to purchase the items you need once you arrive. DO NOT try to do this yourself, unless you want a poo poo-ton of drama from huffy guests.

Boy, I sure am posting a lot in this thread lately!

We're basically doing this, but we may go the added step of not sending out registry information (which, according to wedding ettiquette, is rude anyway. Despite the fact that EVERYONE includes their registry in their invites). We'll probably register for a few things for the kitchen, but we've been living together for almost 5 years, have most of what we need, and really just need a house for all our crap. So we'll let our friends spread the word for us. If people are cranky, whatever.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
I have a fitting on the day after Thanksgiving, so I'm looking for accessories now. I just ordered three contenders for shoes from Endless (they have free return shipping and free overnight shipping on most of the shoes), but I'm curious about corsets. Will the corset I buy at the bridal shop be outrageously priced? If I buy one somewhere else/online, is there something I can look for to ensure that it won't show under my dress....or should I just try some on at the shop?

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Anyone have any experience with stainless steel rings?

We're probably going to order online, but we stopped into a Zales today just to look at styles in person, and the guy mentioned they have stainless steel, in addition to the platinum, titanium and tungston we were considering.

Also, we have set an official date and venue: 4/18/09 at the top of the tallest building in the state! We'll be able to walk in the skywalks straight to our reception venue. Rawk.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

tishthedish posted:

I wish my boyfriend would see it this way! We've talked about marriage numerous times and have even gone ring shopping twice, but he has this idea that he HAS to be like the stereotypical male and be afraid of commitment. I know he's really not, though, because he actually wears a ring on his ring finger everyday and his coworkers know me as his 'wife'.

We've been dating for two years and seven months, and I wish he'd ask already!

What? I'm just confused by this altogether.
You could always ask him.

Edit: Did he marry you secretly? I'm, like, super confused about why he wears a ring (did you pick a ring out together?) and calls you his wife.

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 4, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

WolfensteinBag posted:

I just finished a mock-up of our "Save the Date" cards! Please ignore the fact that it has our full names, you don't get the right idea without it.

I'd love any opinions you might have! This is sorta going to be a "teaser" of what our invites are going to look like. It'll be printed onto a glossy postcard and just mailed out.

1. Text is too small on the canvas. Make it fill up more of the space.
2. The gradient makes it very difficult to read on the black background.
3. Skip gradients.
4. I don't know if you're going for a certain feeling, but I get "prepare for a kind of a Terminator-style wedding, or perhaps Robocop will be there".
5. I am an artist and trained in critique, so I'm sorry that I am being tough on you. :D

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

fine-tune posted:

Hello wedding date buddy! See, I feel that we're behind on planning.

My wedding is in three months. You are not behind on planning. You have more done than I do.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

CrackSpider posted:

EDIT: To everybody: How long were you with your significant other before you/he proposed? Not many of you shared that information, and I'm genuinely curious. :)

5.5 years, living together for four.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Emilar posted:

EDIT: Is anyone else hand-making their own invitations? Last weekend we bought all of the materials for our invitations (a total of 60) at Michael's Arts and Crafts for a whopping $25 (this includes the envelopes)! I was completely thrilled at how cheap it turned out costing. Once I actually get to work putting everything together, I will definitely post some pictures of the final product. Hopefully they won't be embarrassingly ugly...

We are! We are having my MOH, a graphic designer, design us a stamp with a graphic typewriter element. Then we're using some kraft paper and pretty French Poptone envelopes. The invites themselves will be the stamp. It will be like,
Dear ________ & ________
We invite you to attend the blah blah blah on __________ at _________

and we'll fill in pieces.

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT ALL OF THIS.

We're making almost everything. My day of PA/bitch is making the cake, we are making crepe paper bouquets and table decor and hanging pom poms, we are making my pearl jewelry, feather barrettes for the bridesmaids, my veil and head piece, invites...I think that's it. I'm an artist, designer MOH, artist PA/bitch, designer bridesmaid. So. Excited.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Emilar posted:

Awesome! How are you going about making your veil? I'd also like to do this, though my sewing skills are lacking. I did inherit a sewing machine though, so I'm sure I could manage to figure out how to do it by the time the wedding rolls around (next summer, so I've got some time). You've got to post pictures of all your finished products! I love DIY stuff...I think it's so personal compared to the generic wedding "stuff" you can buy just for the sake of having it. Then again, I completely understand not wanting to do DIY in order to save time and if you're not crafty. Worst part about my love of DIY is that I love crafting, but I suck at it. :downs:

It depends on the type of veil you want, but I don't see you needing a sewing machine.

I'm going for a birdcage veil, with a feather/barrettey bit to hold it in. And some pearls. We obviously haven't sat down to really plan this yet. We just plan on hand sewing to a barrette comb, though.

Oh. Will there ever be photos.

Oodles, February is Making Things month, and I'm pretty confident we can all stay "on vision". This has been a very collaborative process, and we've developed a lot of ideas together. Anyway, so that leaves all of March to finish making anything that is left over, and the first two weeks of April to...drink a lot of beer at my bachelorette party/25th birthday.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Whoo! My wedding plans just got a lot more...exciting? Time-crunchy?

On Friday I was driving my scooter home from work and was hit by a drunk driver. GOt home from the hospital on Tuesday with a broken jaw and a titanium rod in my leg. I should have the jaw unwired before the wedding, but I might still be on crutches.

BUT I have a mock-up of my invite from my MOH/designer.

Click here for the full 844x586 image.

These will go on a kraft-type paper. She's working on the reception invite.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
A wedding-related anecdote from the accident: When I woke up in the ambulance I forgot that my engagement ring was in the shop for a repair. The police sent out a crew with a metal detector and apologized very gravely to my fiance that they were unable to find it. He informed them of its whereabouts.

Thanks, all. I'm pretty limited in movement for now, but faring well. Currently most upset about the loss of the scooter. Don't know if I will ever mentally break down or if this is upset as I will get. :)

Yes, they caught the guy. He has insurance. Have not heard thing one on what will be covered. Hopefully a lot. I also have scooter insurance, underinsured motorist insurance, and health insurance.

My MOH is a killer designer, and it is her actual job. She's very versatile. If anyone is looking for a designer, she works under contract, and is experienced with working on deadline and nationally. PM me for contact info.

Re: Rocketship. Cat Rocketship is my artist name. 3/4 of the people who know me in my city know me by that name, and don't know my real last name. My family and older friends wouldn't recognize an invite from Cat Rocketship. So I combined. I will be adding Rocketship as a legal last name.

Whoo. Long post.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, luckily I have a good friend who's Dad is a Pastor. I am going to ask him to officiate the wedding, I assume he will say yes and probably do it for free (if he does I am going to give him a gift).

In case he does want you to go through church-related counseling and it's not for you, look into having a friend do it through the Universal Life Church. Super easy, and that's what we're doing.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Oh oh oh! I wanted to post my invites! I'll have to scan them tomorrow. I do have a bright-yellow header version of the stamp that we used on the back of the envelopes.

Big image.

I am lucky in that my MOH is a killer graphic designer. She makes things pretty for me. I'm also lucky in that she took over for me on a few things in the month since my accident, so I'm not as behind as I would otherwise be. I really only got back into the swing of life last week. She and my PA are currently on making my headpiece and those for my party, and I'm onto making all my crepe paper flowers and the wedding site.

Fortunately, I will be walking before my wedding, albeit with a limp. Unfortunately, I cannot wear the beautiful, lovely heels that I ordered. I replaced them with basic yellow pumps today. I will also have to have my dress refitted to make up for the difference in height and the 15 pounds I lost.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Invites!

These are just the reception-- I left the ceremony at home. But you get the idea. We have a separate ceremony & reception invite because our ceremony is very small and our reception is very large. So some people get all three pieces and they're just paper clipped together.

Again, if anyone is needing invites designed, my MOH does freelance nationally. No idea what her rates are like, but I do know she loves weddings. She's nearly a professional Maid of Honor by now.

Yes that is my name.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 19, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
If I actually liked my last name, I would keep it. It I could convince Scott to take my "pen name" -- Rocketship -- we would do that. But I want to share a name with him, and we both like his last name, so I'll be officially changing my name to Cat Rocketship Kubie. I can drop either of them when I want to-- at work I will just be Cat Kubie and at the studio or at shows I will continue to be Cat Rocketship, but it will now be a 'real' name.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
This is related to the guest discussion: My cousin emailed me this morning and told me she'd like her sister to come. Now, I don't really know my cousin all that well, and I have never met her sister (who isn't even related to me, but wants to see the family...who she also isn't related to. Whatever.). We're having a very small ceremony and I don't really fancy having a total stranger there. Now, if her sister was her +1, fine. But she's already bringing her boyfriend AND her child. I'm not too thrilled about the kid coming, either, but I'll let that go.

If it was the reception, fine. But she said specifically that they will probably only come to the ceremony.

Is there a tactful way for me to say "No sister"? I'm thinking of saying that the venue is rather small and I don't know that we'll have room. It IS very small, but I doubt we'll be totally filling it.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

KarmaCandy posted:

But if she's just going to watch you get married for whatever reason, you probably won't even know she's there and you'll probably never really interact with her.

Haha, good point. Thanks. I feel weird because our ceremony is very non traditional and feels like it will be intimate, but having her there will be no different than the couple of people on my fiance's side that I don't know.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
We did an online or phone call RSVP. I built our site in WordPress and used the Wedding RSVP plugin. Pretty easy.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

squirrellypoo posted:

Google Docs is by far the easiest way to achieve this - friends of ours did it for their wedding, both in the attendance and food prefs, but also for requesting songs to be played.

1. Go to Google Docs.
2. Choose New > Form
3. Fill in your questions and answers (click the big "Add a question" button to make more questions)
4. When you're done, hit Save
5. Choose More actions > Embed, and copy/paste that into whatever wedding site or blog you've already got set up.
6. You then see all the responses in spreadsheet format in Google Docs, and you can share it with your partner, or Mother in Law, or whomever else you want and you can all edit it (or not, if you choose that)

It's really, really easy.

Oh poo poo, I wish I would have known this!

There is also another RSVP plugin, whose name I've forgotten, that utilizes a spreadsheet in Google Docs. BUT you have to plan ahead and put an individual code on each invite.

Unrelated: I am a week and a half out and moving steadily toward panic mode. I anticipate much drinking for the next several days. But the good news is that I was able to ditch my crutches on schedule yesterday. I have a heavy limp, but it's better than having external apparatus.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
I am in serious need of help.

I have no idea what to get my bridesmaids as gifts. My wedding is this weekend, and I promise that I haven't been procrastinating; I have scoured the internet for ideas, and got nothing. Ideally, something handmade/unique would be great, but Etsy didn't provide me with anything great that was in my price range. I'd love to give at least one of them a gift certificate to a local antique mall that she loves, but I also feel like I'd be going, "HERE. This $50 is what you are worth to me."

Has anyone given or received any brilliant bridesmaids gifts? Heck, throw groomsmen gifts in there, too-- my fiance is similarly stumped.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Sneaky Monkey posted:

Food.

I agree with LittleCat. As long as you have enough food/tasty food/your guests are comfortable, go with the sammies. We are. :) This weekend a buttload of Jimmy John's sandwiches will feed our guests, and I'm very excited about this.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

amethystbliss posted:

Just wanted to second the corset back dress comment. Mine had a corset back as well and I didn't need any alterations to the bodice- just the hem.

Thirding it (because that's so useful). I lost 20 pounds from having my jaw wired shut, and didn't have to have the bodice taken in at all. Hurrah!

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

LittleCat posted:

For me it's more of an etiquette issue. We spent a LOT of time and money making sure our guests were well looked after, comfortable and happy. And a couple people took major advantage of that (our bar tab ended up being a lot higher than we would have liked, since apparently the venue was letting people buy rounds of shots on us despite that not being in the agreement - shots do not equal highballs in my books), hardly said a word to us, and (apparently) didn't get a gift. Or write in the guest book. Or give us any sort of well wishing at all, really. These are not people who I'd have expected that from. I don't care about the stuff, but it does make me wonder if those people have some sort of passive agressive issue with us (in which case, why not just NOT come to the wedding? geez).

We had a cousin in from New York who might not have gotten us anything, and I totally get that.

gently caress it, though. The wedding was seriously amazing and I'm not going to let a few sour grapes spoil my mood. We've got the cash to cover the booze, the gifts aren't an issue, and if people are being jerks intentionally (as opposed to being thoughtless unintentionally), they can let me know whenever they feel like it.

I can understand. Most of our guests were from here in town and we had a few that didn't bring anything. Like, I seriously would have been happy with a card with a silly poem written in it-- my friends are not made of money. At the same time, I think, I wouldn't expect my friends to bring things to any other party I've thrown, would I? And then I think again, Well, I kind of would. Even if it was something free, small and silly.

BUT. There's nothing that can be done about it, so it's more than anything a lesson to never go to a wedding giftless. :D

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
UGHGGHGHGGHHG photos. They are amazing. If anyone is in the Midwest and in need of a photog, check out Joe Crimmings.

It's Nanerpus!

If you're in the mood for wedding porn, you can see two albums here. There are 422 photos total, but I couldn't do that to Facebook.

Album 1
Album 2

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Blamestorm posted:

I'm having a nightmare of a time and I would appreciate any ideas. I plan to ask my long term girlfriend to marry me, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a substitute for a diamond engagement ring - as we both feel strongly about the diamond industry and she hates rings.

I was hoping to find a nice emerald pendant or necklace (as green is her favorite color) with a white gold chain (as silver is better than gold for her complexion). She will be horrified if I spend too much money on it, as we're saving for a house, and neither of us are really that material. I do want to get her something nice enough that it will last, but I'm looking in the hundreds of dollars (pounds) rather than the thousands.

I'm located in the UK but have only found a paltry selection of options both online and in bricks and mortar stores. I've found emeralds in simple settings but I was hoping to find something a little bit more unique design wise. The more interesting stuff all tends to be emerald/diamond. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We handled this by buying a used ring. He just went to Zales. They didn't even have the ring categorized correctly-- they sold it to him as white gold, and it was still a steal for that material. When I took it in to a local jeweler to get it resized after he proposed, we found out it is actually platinum, which made it an even better deal.

Obviously that's unlikely to happen and buying a ring that isn't what you thought it was isn't the ideal situation. But it IS a good way to get an inexpensive ring without paying into the diamond industry.