Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

pwnyXpress posted:

Sorry to descend into e/n a bit here, but I'm kind of freaking out because my fiance just discovered that my mother isn't terribly fond of her and she's now in a ridiculous illogical panic saying things like:
"I don't want to make you choose between us."
"What if she's right and you realize this ten years down the line."
"Obviously you must be unhappy being with me if your mom can see that I'm no good for you."

Oh, mothers. My mom hates my husband. But my mom hates everyone.

To be honest, I also think that your fiance is being a little overly dramatic. It seems that everyone would be well-served by taking a chill pill. There's no reason that anyone should be up in arms over this-- it's a situation that will be playing out over years, and will most likely get better over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Whoo! We showed up on Offbeat Bride today. That was pretty much my maid of honor's dream.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

maso posted:

Speaking of saving thousands I should be able to give some insight on having a wedding where you enlist the help of your friends for most of it. It's certainly saving us a fortune though I can understand why most people would rather leave it to the professionals. Good or bad, I'll be glad to share my experiences. So far we have friends doing our flowers, decorating, photos, food, bartending, and one of our friends is our officiant (ordained by the Universal Life Church, haha). We've also decided to pass on a DJ and rent a PA and hook it up to a laptop and just run iTunes. It could be pretty interesting overall, but I really am not worried. :)

That's pretty much exactly how ours went. It was spectacular.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
My husband proposed to me during a weekend that he was helping me with a big art show. As we set up the first morning, he told me not to dig around in his backpack for anything; there was a surprise in it. I took that to mean (and I don't know how the gently caress I got to this) that he had cupcakes. So I begged him all day for the cupcakes. He finally proposed at the end of the second day. There were no cupcakes.

:(

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

LuckyDaemon posted:

I could use some advice :(

My husband/"fiance" (we eloped in secret a few months back) and I are having our Big Wedding in our home state on July 25th. We had 5 bridesmaids and 5 groomsmen. The wedding is on July 25th, a mere month away. And the first thing that happened is one of his groomsmen, his brother, "forgot" that he is the best man at another wedding on the same day in a city 3 hours away. He says that his friend's wedding is in the afternoon and ours is in the evening so he can make it, but I had already planned to have one groomsman walk two bridesmaids down the aisle in case he couldn't leave the first wedding in time.

No just 30 minutes ago one of my fiance's other groomsmen emailed to say he can't make it because he has to work. I mean, it's a goddamn month before the wedding!!

Am I being a complete bitch in wanting to wring his neck and say "What the gently caress is wrong with your side??!!!" But I'm aware this won't accomplish anything. But still I am so angry I could bite someone!

And also, how bad would it look if there are 5 bridesmaids and 3 groomsmen? Or should I kick out two of my bridesmaids :(...I really don't want to do that, four of them are my dearest friends and one is my sister.

And he can't find another groomsman on such short notice because we both moved away from our home state a long time ago and lost contact with a lot of people.

What would you do in this situation, guys?

It's rude, but chill. If this is the worst thing to happen to your wedding, you are golden.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Friendly Geek posted:

Has anyone gone to David's Bridal? I haven't really heard a single good thing about them, but I don't know if it's just the people that hated it doing all the talking...

Horrible. Awful dresses.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Regarding ring allergies: My husband and I have tungsten carbide rings. They rock. Mine matches well with my platinum engagement ring, and they cost, like, $40 each. We've been wearing them nonstop since April and they look literally good as new. The things are impossible to scratch, which is why we wanted them

However, they also can't be resized so down the road we may need to size up. So, hmm. They can also be hard to find in a ladies size/width. I actually wanted one a little narrower, but this one had turned out well.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Kiri koli posted:

I was wondering if I could find a tungsten carbide ring that would match a silver ring (I have white gold for my engagement). All the rings I see in jewelers is the darker silver. Where did you get yours?

Amazon. There are several dealers, and all seemed fine. We just chose based on the available sizes and widths. I've read that tungsten-only rings are more brittle, so go for the tungsten carbide.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Songs! We agonized over songs until the week before our wedding. But we ended up with great picks.

We walked down the aisle to Modest Mouse's 3rd Planet. We had a couple of songs play while people gathered, and then went into a looping of the guitar intro to 3rd Planet for a couple of minutes to give people a signal to settle. 3rd Planet may be a song about miscarriages, sure, but we like the part about "the universe is shaped exactly like the earth, if you go straight long enough you end up where you were". We're still emo kids, deep down.

The recessional was Whole Wide World by Wreckless Eric. Awesome.

First dance: The Beatles' In My Life. We're not even big Beatles fans, but it was perfect for us.

Re: Used diamonds. My husband and I are also enviro-conscious. Not only is diamond mining rough, but if you're really curious do some research into how many tons of ore must be processed for each ounce of platinum/gold/silver. That's a lot of waste and pollution. So my husband bought a used ring at a Zales. Because it's pre-owned, it's a lot cheaper. I'm not much of a diamond person so I quickly forgot the combined weight, but it's a beautiful ring with one main stone and 10 around the band, and it's platinum.

We're also cheap. For wedding rings we went with tungsten carbide for about $30/each. They're tough-- no scratches at all after the first six months. That was really important to me, as an oil painter often working with caustic chemicals and too stupid to wear gloves. I take my engagement ring off for the really rough stuff, but even it's platinum hide shows some wear with the thing I do while wearing it.

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 1, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
I am a pale freckled redhead. Mine was "light gold".

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Sneaky Monkey posted:

A few weeks back I posted the design for my wedding invitations. One sided postcards basically saying "This is who we are and this is when we're getting married. Come join us." Last week, I saw an ad on google's sponsered links for 100 free postcards (aside from shipping costs). Reviews of the place looked good, and I decided what the heck, let's order away. I got them today, they look nice, just as they were designed. However, the back is plain white, while the front is a light yellow/brown. There's no texture while it's designed to look like it has some. I feel like I need to do something to spiff these up. Any suggestions on crafty things I could do to make these cards stand out a little more?

For a refresher, this is almost the front of the card, with a few text changes and a resizing to widen it to 4 by 6.

Boy, that looks familiar.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Sneaky Monkey posted:

I really loved your invite layout. :shobon: I tried several other designs but none of them ever looked half as good.

Thanks. Just a heads up for any future designing you may do (and I may be over-sensitive because I am an artist. AND I realize that this doesn't really matter as it's for pretty private use and we never would have seen it if it wasn't for this forum): There is a world of difference between "being inspired by" and "ripping off". This is a case of the latter, and it irks my designer to a big degree.

If, in the future you come into a similar situation, the best way to start is by contacting the designer. Mine might not be so irked if you had reached out to me and said, "Hey. I really like this. Do you mind if I borrow from it?" And I'd have had the chance to say, "Sure. I'll pass it along to my passive-aggressive designer who won't tell you no, even though she'd rather be paid for what she does, but at least she'll feel flattered and not annoyed." Because she worked hard on the entire design concept (yay for being lucky enough to have a designer as my MOH!) and she is a professional. I would be just as upset if someone came to CC and said, "This is a little painting I did for myself." and posted a copy of one of my works.

Again, I realize that this is a small thing, so just think about it in case you have a similar situation in the future. In the world of everything being on the internet, it's harder to do something like this without pissing someone off, and more important to be smooth in your relationships. You never know who you could deal with in the future.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
No no no, don't change them or anything! Like I said, just tuck it away for the future. :)

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Couldn't tell you about cobalt, but my husband and I have tungsten carbide. They're very shiny and totally indestructible. They look masculine.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Tindjin posted:

MONEY

As scary as everyone makes it sound, we opted for totally joint accounts. So far, so good. We'd been living together for 5 years before getting married, and I sort of wish we'd done it earlier. However, I do wish I had money to surprise him with sometimes-- that's the only downside. What would happen in the event of a divorce? No idea.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

GoreJess posted:

Unless you have your ceremony & reception at 2 different locations, you can't really have 2 separate guest lists. How awful would it be to attend a couple's wedding & then not be invited to the reception when you can visibly see where everyone will be partying?

Your wording has me confused though. Is your fiancee wanting a small ceremony & then more people at the reception? If that's the case, then it's really easy to just have people show up later for the party & miss the ceremony. But if you're trying to save money, the ceremony is the cheap part. It's the feeding & providing drinks that gets expensive.

I did this. Invited about 40 people to the ceremony, 150 to the reception. At first I had a lot of angst about it, but no one cares as much about the ceremony as they do about the party, anyway.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Engagement: not much. Wedding: $35 each. WE ARE KINGS

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Yeah, not that big a deal. We didn't do a garter toss, DID do a bouquet toss, sort of did a father/daughter dance...and no novelty songs. No one mentioned anything. There was free beer. They were happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
We had a friend get ordained through Universal Life Church and she married us. It was fantastic.