Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deltat
Oct 15, 2004

MICROSOFT IS FUCKING ME AGAIN!
Jumping in as I have a few questions. . .

I'm thinking of proposing to my gf of 3 1/2 years. Obviously I would like to get her a ring. Here is my problem. The only piece of jewelry she owns is a watch. She owns NOTHING else, (zero, zilch nuttin, nada!) no rings, no earrings, etc. (you get the point)

I want the engagement to be a total surprise, but I have no clue how to find her ring size. My only idea so far is to buy one of those ring sizing sets and try and test it on her finger when she is sleeping (creepy, I know). I can pretty much approx. and nail it down to like 4 or 5 possible sizes and then just try 1 per night. I know this idea sort of sucks (large possibility of her waking up as I'm inserting her finger into this fake ring sizing thingy). Has anyone else done something like this? She's very smart and knows that engagement is coming eventually, so there is no tricking her into slipping her finger into anything.

My second question is about ring choice. My girlfriend is VERY petite (5'1" about 100 lbs.) with very small hands. She has already stated to me "if you get me a diamond, I will not marry you" and "don't spend more then $100 on a ring". Obviously I'm going to go more then $100, but I'm trying to find a nice ring with no stones as she will never want anything flashy and if the ring is too big, I know her, she won't wear it.

The proposal will happen in Ireland as we love it so much that we are going there on vacation for the second time in two years. I was thinking about the following since I like the claddagh idea:
http://dvb.ie/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DVB&Product_Code=60847

I already spoke with the manufacturer and they said they can make it without the gemstones for around $400. Isn't that a lot of money for a ring that small?

I know I've asked a ton of questions, and I would appreciate any help I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltat
Oct 15, 2004

Tatiana posted:

deltat:
But how picky is she? I imagine if she's only found one thing she's liked then she probably is pretty specific :) Why not get a plain, silver one so she can help you pick out another one later? Or maybe get a silver version of the white gold ring you want?
CagedLiberty's fiance's approach of picking some rings out you like to show her later is what we did. Although we had a mutual engagement, my fiance was the one who found my ring and showed it to me. I liked to have input on it since it's the nicest thing I own and I too, am very picky.

I think that ring you picked out is a bit overpriced, but pretty.

She's not picky at all. If I got her a cheapo silver version of a ring, all she would do is wear the silver ring and when I brought her to the store to get a gold one she would say they are too expensive and the silver one is fine.

deltat
Oct 15, 2004

squirrellypoo posted:

And if you want suggestions of ring shops in Dublin, PM me.

(maybe I'm alone here, but those claddagh rings always scream "tacky tourist souvenir" to me...)

Did any of the stores you went to in Dublin have websites? If so, can you PM me some of the better ones so I can check them out.

I agree that claddagh screams tourist, but:

1) We are tourists, so while it might be super cheesy if we live in Ireland, in the US it's hopefully not as cheesy.

2) I tried to pick out something that isn't the standard "every irish girl has one" claddagh ring. If you haven't already, take a look at the link above. It's a bit different.

deltat
Oct 15, 2004

peanut posted:

http://www.greenkarat.com uses recycled gold and has a Claddaugh on their custom pages. She won't have to worry about mining or government conspiracies.

I actually stumbled across that site yesterday before I read this post, crazy! I think I'll send them a link to the ring I am interested in and see what it would cost to make custom. I love the site, but I would imagine that custom work is going to get very expensive.

Someone else also mentioned pre-owned. I might check out that route as well.

deltat
Oct 15, 2004

zman8 posted:

I am not trying to sell the farm. I was under the impression that there is still the "3 month's salary standard." Is that no longer true?

You might want to read something like this:
http://blacktable.com/bruno031030.htm