Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We did Blue Nile, which has a pretty generous return policy, for like a week 30 days. They will ship you next day air free so you're not hanging on to it in the house for weeks before a big trip or holiday or something, and then she finds it accidentally

Edit: correct return policy

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah reading the above post, I think if I have one piece of advice, it's go see a jeweler in person very very early in the process. They will, at a minimum, help you get the correct ring size figured out, etc. You can look at photos until you go blind, but there's nothing quite like seeing 5-6 candidates side by side. Even if you don't buy the ring from that specific jeweler.

That said we got pregnant about a year after getting married, and wife wasn't able to put the ring on by the end of her first trimester, so she's had a $35 "replica" two sizes up for a while as her daily driver

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes

Maybe plan some ultra casual potluck/pool party thing* at your rich uncle's backyard for 2022 and put that in the email

* i.e. $0 cost to you, besides $50 worth of decorations and a couple coolers worth of soda

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 21, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You won't have time to write thank you notes later, open them now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Traxus IV posted:

So we've been engaged for three weeks and have done zero wedding planning, no idea what we want on almost any level. We hit up a little wedding expo thing in our area to get some ideas and literally everyone we talked to wanted to know the date before almost anything else, some got really dismissive when we didn't have one which like I get because they're there to make connections that will lead to making money and not to chat with an apparently totally unprepared couple, but jeez. It made us feel pretty lovely!

Where the gently caress do you even start with all this stuff? We're completely out of our depth and lack any wedding knowledge at all. Are the links in the OP still decent for info? (if it makes any difference we're a lesbian couple)

It's ok to not have a date set yet. Some people go a year or more before they're comfortable picking a date. I personally think that's a little long, but again, it's personal choice

My advice

1. Do you want a local or destination wedding, and/or wedding in a church. That is going to dictate a lot of your choices. If you want a smaller wedding, a destination wedding (e.g. Hawaii) a lot of times comes out cheaper as your entire wedding attendance is like, 20. The availability of your venue may dictate your wedding day. Sometimes it's best to pick a season and narrow it down once you find a venue

If you pick a naturally beautiful venue, I dunno, the edge of the grand canyon, a public beach, you can spend a lot less on the florist. If you save money and have it in the community hall, you'll want to spend more on the florist. We did ours in a redwood forest, I think our florist bill was $1200 and that was everything including the bouquet

2. Start touring wedding venues in the area you've selected. Just schedule like 4 per day and start going. This will give you an idea of how you might want things to work, and the venue tour person will walk you through their vision for your wedding, which can give you some ideas. I think we looked at 8 or 9 places. The venue may impact your...

3. Once you have a venue you can start booking catering, florist, dj etc. Not all vendors will be willing to travel to your venue. One caterer wanted an extra 1.5 hours pay for each staff + $60 gas money to get to our remote venue in the nearby mountains

Mildly unpopular opinion: go with a place that has a required vendor list. These vendors work this venue 1-8 times a month, they know the kitchens, they know all the weird gotchas. They will know how to do everything and serve hot food (not ice cold by the time it hits their table) to all 120 of your guests in less than 20 minutes. You don't want to be a new caterer's test run for someone else's successful wedding

Also, it only takes 2-3 months to pull off a wedding, lots of successful shotgun weddings happen in a shorter period of time, so don't feel like you need to drag this process out for a year unless you want to. I personally think setting a date waaaaay in the future just drags things out and adds stress. A shorter planning period forces you to make decisions and take action

Finally: consider booking a venue on a Friday, especially if you have a lot of people traveling from out of town;

1. More good venues have Fridays open
2. People can party harder at your wedding, because the next day is Saturday, and their flight is Sunday
3. Friday weddings cost half as much
4. The best caterers usually have availability on Fridays
5. You get to hang out with more family on Saturday, nothing is rushed as everyone is there for the whole weekend, brunch doesn't have to be at 6am because aunt Julie has a flight back to London at 9am

But yeah, go tour a bunch of venues

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a bunch of tailors in Mexico City that will make you a bespoke tux for about $200, plus he gets to keep it afterwards. You can get the jacket/pants lining to match the wedding colors. Even factoring in plane ticket and hotel it's probably within $150 of renting a suit

I got mine done in Hong Kong pre covid, I think all in, suit airfare and Airbnb was like $1100, and I wear it everywhere now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The matte finish on that ring will start to naturally polish from wear fairly quickly, within months or years

I had the opposite problem, got a smooth ring and by the end of year 1 it already had a rough patina from wear.

Mine is made of a slightly softer alloy though. Your alloy might hold the pattern longer, but since the finish isn't cast I don't think it's a very deep finish and won't hold for a decade+. I'm not at all a jewelery expert though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would strike out the unlimited use clause, and ignore the "you can't edit my ~art~" clause, the chances of them bothering you about that is low. Seems like a case of inflated ego give awry. Mostly just depends on how much energy you want to put into this stuff

Our photographer sent us a 1tb ssd with all the raw files on it, and I think we had to sign a liability waiver that we wouldn't sue if they dropped a camera on our toe. And we verbally agreed to be included in their online portfolio

Call a lawyer if you're especially concerned

Me personally, I'd close my eyes and sign on the X

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We used Zola, it was fine

Using wedding.. donations? We bought a set of wusthöf knives from their catalog, which were terrible quality (counterfeit?), but otherwise was fine

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think there's a bad choice these days two or three bridezillas can do the work of an army of QA people

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow this thread went from like four pages a year to, uh, there were no posts in this thread in 2022 :ohdear:

Anyways uh just wanted to say that we got uh, this ultrasonic cleaner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q2M17K/ for like $40

This is the "one cool trick jewlers don't want you to find out" type gadget that.... my wife actually uses without me asking if she still has it. Any time she has a work event it magically appears from...somewhere, on our bathroom counter, to clean her ring, and any other jewlery she plans on wearing that night. Just like 180 seconds with a quarter drop of soap will render jewlery looking brand new. Ultrasonically cleaned jewlery often looks better than new, it's impressive stuff. Her sister got one too

Also I got some lovely (read: $$$) coating on my new glasses and ultrasonic cleaner is the only way to clean these drat things now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We were at a beach destination resort thing and both weddings while we were there had groomsmen in tan suits

We're just getting old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our wedding party, most of them had various tasks and they were on an email chain with specific wedding details and they got a minute by minute timeline for the day of, I think the stuff they cared about was mostly when to pick up their rental stuff and/or show up for photos etc. Wedding party is sort of the inner circle of people you're hanging out with the in the days and hours up to the wedding providing moral support and yeah doing hard labor and also will drive to the store two hours before the wedding to do X

At our wedding, bridesmaids bought their own dresses, groomsmen paid for their own rental stuff (about $250?). Only one groomsmen asked that I cover his suit rental, which was fine he paid for his and his gf's out of state airplane ticket and hotel ($1000+). I forget what kind of bridal party gift bag my wife did but it was a bottle of red wine and some trinkets like a fridge magnet with our wedding date, total value $35 or so. I think all of them drank the wine in their hotel room and when we go visit them the magnet is on their fridge somewhere

If a bridal party gift is going to break the bank, I'd scale down that gift and keep the party as is. It's the party everyone remembers about the wedding

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 14, 2023