Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

We had been talking about maybe a late January wedding, but traveling to Chicago would suck rear end for a lot of people during winter. So, we're aiming for 3/14. Yes, Pi Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

WierdFishes posted:

I am begging everyone who claims that all jewelry stores have negotiable pricing to PLEASE STOP spreading this misinformation.

When you have people coming in and haggling you like it's a used car lot is extremely frustrating. Every day. Several times per day. Our store is a one location only family run business who gets harassed constantly because mega chain store like People's and Mappin's allows haggling, so we must allow it too.

People have no class when it comes to buying fine jewelry anymore and it really saddens me.

We're at a point in the economy where you're going to see people haggling more everywhere, retail, wherever. It's going to get worse if nothing else. And if your store really doesn't negotiate on pricing, then it is in the minority. Just like car dealerships, people go into jewelery stores expecting the price to be marked up.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Is there an existing market for a person I can hire just to be the go-between for my mom and I? :psyduck:

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

The place where we have a deposit allows us to bring our own booze, and the event coordinator there said that there are a couple of liquor stores that he's worked with will take your order, deliver the booze, and then come pick up what's left over afterwards and you get a refund. (Or, I suppose, keep it and have a HELL of a honeymoon). Caterers will usually have a liquor license, so if you hire one of their folks as a bartender, you're all legal.

This is going to end up being way WAY cheaper for us than having the drinks bought by the caterer.

zap actionsdower! posted:

I'LL DO IT! I am craving motherly attention.

This is the conversation between my mom and I a few weeks ago:
Oh no, I'm sorry :( That puts it in perspective - she and I are at least on the same page as far as dress shopping goes. The latest disagreement is whether to hold the wedding here in Chicago or in my hometown 6 hours away, which boggles me, because they know we have a deposit on a place we really like here (see above).

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

So I was one of the crazy people that went to the Filene's Basement running of the brides this weekend... and found a dress! I was worried that because I'm not a size 10 that all the samples are in, that I wouldn't be able to find anything, but there was actually a fairly good selection. We didn't camp out or dress up in matching t-shirts or anything crazy, and we showed up about 2 hours after the sale started. Be prepared to run around half-naked while people are around you non-chalantly shop for ties.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Cassandra Complex posted:

I just came across this when I was browsing A/T and I'm sooo glad! My boyfriend and I have been trying to plan ahead and we've been running into some problems.

I would suggest getting a ring you like and a sturdy chain for it so that you can wear it as a pendant for the days when you are going to be working with your hands! Good luck :)

Edit: I have no idea how I missed the post two up. FOR CONTENT: if you're concerned about bumping the ring and don't want to get diamond, make sure you're still getting a hard stone, and not something damage prone, like opal. Also go try some on and see if you are still worried. Websites are going to make the rock look huger than it will in real life :)

CalamityKate fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 3, 2008

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

GoreJess posted:

So we got engaged last night (finally, people were starting to wonder if after 5.5 years together it would ever happen)! And now I have to figure out how to plan a wedding. Does anyone have any recommendations for planners? Or any books to just stay away from?

I can tell you that theknot.com is so utterly useless as to be a loving joke. If you ever want to see a bunch of bridezillas try to out-oval office each other, that's site #1. I've actually liked the kvetch.indiebride forum, especially for local info. I also bought the real simple magazine guide to weddings and my mom sent me the Martha Stewart one (which has some cute stuff :ssh: )

Congrats! Once you get a couple big things taken care of, stuff starts to fall into place.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

squirrellypoo posted:

And now we've got our Pennsylvania reception venue! That's a big load off...

We liked the look of the Lancaster Arts Hotel from their site, but my mom stopped in there last weekend to speak with their events manager and that just decided it for us. The building itself is amazing - an old converted tobacco warehouse and we'll have the dining room for 50 plus a huge terrace, and it's only $200 to rent.

Congrats, the venue seems like it's one of the biggies. And that place looks like it will be a lot of fun! Also, $200 is a pretty drat good deal on the space rental, nice work!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

squirrellypoo posted:

My grandmother's wedding gown (from 1949) arrived on Friday. The measurements and style aren't suitable for me, though, so I'll be refashioning it in a few months (once our building work is complete). In the meantime, though, I've posted pretty detail photos on my website if anyone is interested in vintage gowns...

That's really pretty! She did a great job preserving it, the fabric still looks like it's in great shape. I'm bummed that the dress my grandma, aunt and mom wore for their weddings won't work for me or any of my cousins (they were TINY), but my mom suggested that we use the fabric to make picture frames for each of the granddaughters for their weddings. :3:

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Gravitee posted:

Everything was perfect.

Also, if this lady gives you advice in the thread, TAKE IT. She did an awesome job of planning and organizing and GETTING MARRIED.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Can we talk shoes? I found an awesome pair of strappy heels to wear with my dress, but the problem is that I am horrible at heels. :saddowns: I think I am missing that gene or something. I am already planning to change into wedge sandals for the reception/dancing, but does anyone have any hints to reduce the pain during the ceremony and pictures? I bought those little gel stickums for the ball of the foot, but if any tall shoe pros want to chime in, please do!

And also on dresses, I've been having major second thoughts about my dress. It was a great deal, and now that I've started the alteration process I can tell what it's going to look like when it fits, but I'm just not in love with it, y'know? It's not you, it's me, one of those deals.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

Start wearing your heels ALL THE TIME. When you're hanging around the house, just throw them on. Not only will you get practice walking in them, your feet will get used to the different pressure points that they're not used to. Don't forget to practice going up and down stairs, too!

That sucks about your dress, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen to me! It's really hard, there's SO much stuff out there, that you're bound to see more after you make the decision and start second guessing yourself. Hopefully it works out & when it's done you'll be happy! Can you post a picture, or is it not safe?

Hahaha my downstairs neighbors are going to murder me, but that is actually a good idea to wear them around the house. I don't have a picture of the dress on this computer but I will post at least a shot of the material since the fiancé has already seen that much :ssh:

I like http://uncrate.com/ for getting ideas for groomsmen gifts, although of course I say that and the second thing on there is a flask right now, so some help I am.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

albedoa posted:

I am falling in love with moissanite, and it is what my girlfriend wants. There is a link to the retailers in the OP, but no other discussion apart from that.

Is there anything I should know about moissanite that I wouldn't necessarily find out through the retailers or Wikipedia? Any conflicts? Is it a good bang for your buck?

Any personal reviews?

Edit: Err, obviously I don't mean conflicts on the scale of diamonds, since moissanites are lab-created. But you get what I'm asking. ;) Just trying to finalize a decision here.

If I was going to go non-diamond, I'd go CZ and save the difference money-wise, but that's just me. If she really likes the look of the Moissanites, good for her, and just shop around a lot like you would with any other ring! Good luck!

Anyways, here's my dress "preview":

Speaking of which, is it totally dumb to want the dress to be a surprise? Matt is being sort of a butt about not being able to see the dress, on the grounds that it's a dumb tradition. He is sort of right, but it's still fun for it to be a surprise! Am I being retarded?

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Zaftig posted:

This is very un-romantic, but how does marriage affect your taxes? I'll provide backstory if wanted, but the tl;dr version is that it's looking like the only way for my boyfriend to live off campus is to marry me (we're engaged anyway), but I'm worried about his financial aid. Is it possible to be married and dependent on your parents (we make under $3,000 a year combined if that helps)? I'm checking with google, but I wanted to know if there are any highly-recommended sites for this kind of information.

In other cases, marriage usually means you are no longer dependent on your parents. See if his school's financial aid office can give better advice, or refer you guys to a student service that can look up the legal/tax side for you.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

(train station pics)

Oh that's fun. How cool! There will be so many neat photo ops in that place, I bet. And you could run with either a Pullman or Orient Express influence.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

peanut posted:

This is the dude for me! The photo galleries are impressive, the waterfall is fake but beautiful, the beach is across the street and the hippie minister brings provides and a conch shell. The package prices are convincing.

"When you first enter this Hawaii wedding dreamland through the ornate teak and copper gates, the first words out of your mouth will be something like "Wow" or "Oh my God". You will have just entered the tropical water garden which is almost a psychedelic experience.
Yes, our parrots talk and love posing with the bride and groom."
http://www.hawaiiweddings.com/

"In my very biased opinion, gay male hair and makeup artists just can't be beat! Consequently, we only use gay guys to make our brides look their best for their Hawaii weddings and photo shoots. Heck, our makeup artists make ugly men look like beautiful women so imagine what they can do for our brides. Check out some of the before and after images below."
http://www.hawaiiweddings.com/hawaii-weddings-hair-makeup.html

That guy rules and if I ever planned to get married blazed out of my mind, he'd be the one to go see. Also the before and after is hilarious.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Gravitee posted:

As I've mentioned before, I had a hard time getting things to match, but there are a lot more options with a hunter green than the clover color I chose. I know I'm partial to green and white, but they are such classy colors! Plus everyone looks good in green - from a stunning fair/blonde (HI KATIE) to a fabulous woman of color.
HI MISSUS! We all did look pretty darn good in the green- it helped that we had an awesome hair/makeup artiste as well. :)

squirrellypoo posted:

Gravitee, I love your dress! It's such a beautiful change from the ubiquitous strapless mono-boob necklines. It looks like you had a blast, too. :)

I was cracking up going through her pictures. They really captured how much fun everyone was having and how well the day went in general. One of the best shots was the groom standing on the photographer's stepstool and grinning like he just won the lottery.

As for me, I took advantage of a 30% cash back dealie on eBay to order a "backup" dress from China. It's the dress in the attachment, and I'm still going with a gold color. I'm also having a detachable halter strap added so the girls get a little extra help. I know it's pretty ridiculous to buy two dresses, but they were both cheap so I feel less bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Oh man, start the quote train. Choo choooo.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Oh wow, I love that dress! The neckline is really cool, I've never seen one like that. Hey, speaking of buying dresses on-line, have many of you done that? Aren't you worried about the fit of the dress?
I'm sorta worried about it, but they make it to order to your measurements, plus it's got a lace up back so that when I lose a bunch of weight I can lace it up tighter! :gbsmith: Hey, an excuse to post the back!

Click here for the full 400x601 image.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Anyway, here's the site, it's the White Yowying dress, you can find it in the "Bridal" section. If I got it, I'd get a sweetheart neckline put on, add a train, and I'd have the embroidery done in dark purple. :3:

http://www.wai-ching.com/

Oh, & what the hell, since I'm risking Kevin seeing all this anyway (besides, he's not going to click on links) here's the other dress I was looking at, I'd get the band in the middle in that "eggplant" color in the swatches on the side.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collect...a0d9566e1c&pg=1
If you saw the offbeat bride stuff about Wai-Ching, you probably also saw the Kvetch thread, but if not then check it out - it looks like a girl on page 43 got the same dress you were looking at - and people have posted pictures of how their own dresses have turned out.

That being said.. I like the Angelo better, I think. Have you been able to try that one on? I think the bold color in the cummerbund thing could work just as well with the blue hair as the more "funky" dress!

This rules. I love the side corset-y things Doesn't hurt that the model looks a little like Elizabeth Hurley.

amethystbliss - I would hang on to the two you have, but keep the asymmetrical one on the back burner just in case. The elopement dress is my favorite of them all - so cute!

Gravitee posted:

CK - I had a brilliant idea. You should buy two or three more dresses and Cher it up and do dress changes between events. For the sake of my young male relatives, no black thongitards please. (What the hell do you call that thing she wore in the video with all of the sailors?)
Hahaha, I like the way you think. Too bad that there is no artillery to sit atop at the venue. About the dress - yeah I'm midway through the fitting process at the alteration place with the first one, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like it makes me look porky :( I suppose that I will see what the eBay dress looks like when it gets here, and go from there.

I guess Matt finally wore me down about seeing the dress, because when I was looking at it, I was all "hey, talk me out of this dress" without even thinking about it :xd:

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Gorgeous! I loved the color you picked for the bridesmaids, and are those fluevogs that you wore!? Loved them either way!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Just bought my veil off of etsy:

Got it in ivory :)

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Gravitee posted:

CK: Did you get your other dress yet?

Not yet! They've been really good about checking with me on each step, so that's encouraging!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
I felt the exact same way, but you will be surprised how quickly things fall into place once you just pick a piece and nail it down. Call her family up to see if your estimate is about right, then start calling venues to see what they have available and when. I would get a budget estimate at least floating around (see how much/if the parents are going to help) pretty soon, because that can help you eliminate places and not waste your time on them.

brc64 Congrats! and Surprise! I guess :)

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Well, I ordered wedding rings for both of us, and I didn't like the way mine looked. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go to some brick and mortar stores to try on some to see how they go with my engagement ring. Actually, does anyone here who's already married just wear their engagement ring by itself? I might just do that.

On a CalamityMom note, the place she was leaning on me to have my wedding at in Columbus went under just before Christmas. I can't imagine how panicked I'd be if I was trying to re-schedule the venue with under three months to go.

Other than a couple small things, I think we are pretty well set for the shindig in March. We're gonna do cupcakes on a stand with a small regular cake for the two of us to cut. These are the ones we're getting -yummm.

Gravitee posted:

On a unrelated note, I got my pictures back today so I'm going to plaster them all over the internet!

:woop:

Oodles posted:

What the hell - if you cant make it, and you are invited to the meal, surely you would have some common sense.

Or is that just me?

Don't take it personally, some people flake out. And I can understand disappointed, but I don't see the point of getting mad - at least they're putting word out in one way or another, instead of just being no-shows. :) Now someone gets to eat two entrees, I guess!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

For silver yes.. But for a white gold inlay, not bad at all. Nice looking ring too!

5 More months to the big day for me.. Anyone else get a lot of "Wedding" dreams? I have had my third one this week, each one getting more and more strange.. At least they have been happy dreams (And at least they have all been about my fiancée heh).

I had a panicked dream that there was no-one to serve alcohol at ours.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Whee! Got the thing done last Sat, the 14th.

Click here for the full 816x550 image.

Ceremony/Reception:
Maxim's of Chicago - Can't say enough good things about this place. The event coordinators are amazing, the location in the gold coast is rad, and you can buy and bring in your own liquor! Plus you get to make a grand entrance down the spiral staircase:

Click here for the full 426x623 image.

We did cupcakes, from Sugar Bliss, and they were perfect. Once they were set up in the afternoon before the ceremony, you could see people's eyes lock on to them once they got into smelling distance. I didn't actually have any of the cupcakes, but the bite of the cake on top I had was awesome.

Click here for the full 412x614 image.

Honeymoon:
We stayed in a cabin up in the Smokies, and it was awesome. Yeah, there was a lot of driving to get there, but it really wasn't so bad to just have the two of us in the car.

The towns of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge were pretty much just a traffic jam consisting of a thousand pancake houses in the way of getting to the National Park, but apparently there is some draw to them, I dunno.

Click here for the full 489x650 image.

(not actually our cabin, an old mill building in the park)

Overall, everything went as well as it could have, everyone I talked to at the reception seemed to be enjoying themselves or pretending to pretty convincingly, and now I'm back at work like nothing happened :)

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Thanks for the comments on the pictures :) We were really happy with the way they turned out.

As far as the name thing, I have basically considered every drat option known to man, including the maiden-as-middle thing. What I've settled on for now is to keep my last name on paper but do a double-barreled, no-hyphen, combo of both last names unofficially.

If I find out that it causes a huge complication to have different last names somewhere down the road, then I'll muscle up and change it, but we've bought a house, we're on each other's bank accounts, etc, with no name issues so far!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

I need some advise.

The last part of our wedding we have yet to get settled (date is in july so its creeping up) is a minister. We were thinking of having a non-denominational service do the wedding, but it seems a lot of them are ministers of the Universal Life Church and I keep hearing about marriages being declared invalid in different states..

Anyone know if ULC is legal in NJ, or any other way we can get around this? I'd be fine with eloping the week before the wedding and having a "fluff" ceremony, but I'm sure that would disappoint her..

Neither of us are religious at all, so getting a real church to do it is not possible.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/faq.shtml#MAR This has a clause that any minister of every religion can perform marriages. Looks like you're ok.

In Illinois, as long as the people getting married believe that the person marrying them is allowed to do so, the marriage is legal, which I at least found pretty funny.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Nione posted:

The other way I could go is wedding postcards AND an email invite. They'd at least get something in the mail, it would be less than half the cost, and we could still do the online RSVP.

I like this idea - it cuts down on 1/2 of your postage, avoids the "argh just mail it, rear end in a top hat!" factor, but you also still have a physical keepsake of the wedding!

One total surprise that my aunt got us was to frame our invitation and gave it to us along with our gift. I would never have thought to keep one for myself :downs: so it was a really thoughtful, and made me glad I ended up doing paper invites!

I don't know if I pimped our invites in here yet - but they were these from Wedding Paper Divas, and I had a great experience with them- the prices were not too outrageous for us, either.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

We had a really good experience with the Crate and Barrel registry. I liked the face that they give you a 10% off coupon on any remaining registry items after the wedding, which you can also update after the wedding, so we were able to go and use gift cards and get a better price on stuff.

The best part is having friends over after the fact and having matching place settings, and a tablecloth, and all those other things that were lower priority than the down payment on the house. :)

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

LittleCat posted:

Getting people to buy things online for a registry is like pulling teeth, as far as I can tell.

If anyone has any good suggestions for places to register in Canada, do share. It's too late for us, but someone might benefit.

Home Outfitters was pretty blah. Their selection is okay, their return policy is okay, their completion policy is kinda lame and their online interface is not so good. But I can't think of anywhere that would be better.

Canada Tire and Tim Hortons!

(Sorry)

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Splat posted:

More honeymoon help needed!

Our original plan was Europe (italy/france specifically), but that recently fell through due to immigration issues (I'm canadian in the US), so our honeymoon needs to be in the US (and no territories either :(). She doesn't want to do Hawaii as she's been there a LOT and we'd rather go someplace new together. I just really have no idea what's a good place in the US to honeymoon mid-july.

One of the National Parks maybe, like Yellowstone or Glacier? Do you need passports for cruises?

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

ixo posted:

While she and I both like Moissanite, and she likes large and glittery, I don't want to get into a situation where she or I have to constantly hear "How did he afford that on a student's budget?", and then have to explain why Moissanite is not Cubic Zirconia.

I'd just laugh and say "I stole it" because it's really not anyone's loving business :)

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Kiri koli posted:

Speaking of money, any Chicagoland goons have recommendations (for or against) photographers/DJs? In particular, I've had a lot of friends get married here and be unhappy with their photographers, so I'm determined to find a good one that I can afford. I want to stay within $1000-1500.

I have recommendations on both! We used Cage & Aquarium for our DJ, and they were great to work with. Our photographer was Matt Kuehl, he was also great, and very reasonable. No extra charge for a DVD burned with all the photos, which was one of our main criteria.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

special girl posted:

I have a question about etiquette regarding a recent wedding I was in. To make a long story really short, the bride made us bridesmaids pay her 50 apiece bucks for hair/makeup deposit. The bride told us that she had to put this on her credit card when she booked our appointments and needed reimbursed to pay her card back asap. This was about a month or two before the wedding.

What she may have thought was a deposit was just a hold on her credit card. Enough time has gone by that I would just give her a call to let her know, and ask for your money back. If that was on top of having to pay for a dress, shoes, etc., I would definitely want to get that back.

EchoBase Regarding the "non" sentimental ring, is it possible that she just doesn't like it, and is just expressing it really awkwardly? Maye when you talked to her about it before and got the okay, there was a particular ring on her side of the family she had in mind? I dunno, I was pretty picky about my ring and this still seems a little unreasonable to me.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Kiri koli posted:

I've looked into a few wholesalers online, but I'm planning from out of state and I'm not really familiar with where we're getting married anyway. I found some farmer's markets on localharvest, but I don't know if I will have time to visit them. Is ordering online and having flowers shipped a bad idea or is that how wholesalers pretty much do it?

I was having flower angst because every place I talked to here in Chicago also started at a $1K minimum

I got mine from Costco. I didn't need a ton of centerpieces and stuff like that since our caterer and the venue pretty much covered it. I got the 9-piece calla lily and they looked great. The tradeoff of having to bring them with me rather than having them delivered to the venue was worth the $750 price difference :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

maso posted:

How about a bouquet toss poll, for those of you who are already married (or even those who know what they're going to do) did you toss your bouquet? Keep it? Or have your florist make a similar, smaller "tossing bouquet?"

Didn't do it at all. Seemed to be another one of those things like reception lines that everyone hates doing, but "is tradition" so it keeps getting done.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Kiri koli posted:

Did you do anything instead to fill time/engage the crowd?

Yeah, had an open bar :laffo:

Seriously, the whole thing went by so fast that it didn't seem like there was anything noticeable "missing", so no.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

vanessa posted:

Has anyone here had their ceremony on one day, and their reception the next day? How did that work out for you? Obviously nothing is finalized until my fiance and I decide together on a place, but I wanted to hear about other people's experiences.

If you have a lot of people that aren't local, I would say to prioritize having both on the same day over your first choice of location and date. Speaking as a guest, it is enough of a pain in the rear end when you have like 5 hours between the ceremony and reception, let alone a full day.

Just my take, and congrats!!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Kaddish posted:

I'm thinking about proposing on a trip to Belize/Guatemala in a couple of weeks but I'm a little worried about 1. getting it there without her knowing and 2. general safety of the ring while we're there. Anyone have some advice?

Placeholder ring until you get back?

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Some (but not all) Whole Foods(es) have a custom bakery department. I don't think they would need as much lead time as a fancy pantsy bakery. I actually really like the cookie cake idea though, if you think your fiancée would be down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

We've got time, so I'm hoping this fence can be mended in some way. If not, well, I don't control her. If she doesn't want to be a part of this new family, she doesn't have to. Her loss.

Hopefully your fiancée's family is still extending the offer of using their backyard for the rehearsal dinner. My approach to it would be to take them up on that, invite who you want, include your mom in the invitation, but be prepared for a boycott.

It sucks that she's being difficult, but the last thing you need on a pretty complicated couple days is someone actively trying to make things go poorly.