Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

If you do the destination wedding, it might be nice to do a post-trip reception for people who aren't able to spend the money/travel (old people)/take the time off work.

I had friends who had their wedding in Italy, and the reception in our hometown and it worked out great!

If a lot of the people you are going to invite are in school or recent graduates, you might want to keep in mind that it's going to be a serious financial hit for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

I kept my last name because I like it. Yes, I consider myself a feminist, but it doesn't have to be a bigger deal than that. If people want to call me Mrs. Cidrick, then that's cool too. I haven't had any problems with banks or whatever yet, and it's been about a year and a half.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

GoreJess posted:

Just a warning on this, and maybe your cake will be different since it's fruit cake, but it probably won't taste good. My husband & I were able to take two bites each & then the rest of it went in the trash. Old cake that's been frozen for a year is really dry....

Our boxed up cake absolutely haunted my husband every time he opened the freezer the whole first year. It tasted terrible at one year old so we each took a bite, and then celebrated throwing it out and reclaiming the freezer space it was hogging.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

We had our wedding/reception in a city-owned venue in Chicago, and it was awesome for saving money. I'd stay away from private places that have required lists of caterers, there's usually not much room for negotiation on price with those guys.

Instead of starting our search with "wedding caterers" for food, we picked one of our favorite restaurants and set up a catering menu with them. WAY less expensive, and more unique than the chicken breast/weird lasagna that a lot of caterers default to. It was still the most expensive part of the wedding, with the venue coming in 2nd.

Third tip: we supplied our own alcohol, and hired a bartender with a valid license to serve liquor. It was around 1/3 as expensive as a per-head full bar. Bonus: at the end of the reception those who are crazy drunkards can take the remaining bottles with them for the afterparty!

Totally my personal opinion here, but in your quest to save money, don't be the rear end in a top hat that has the Thursday night or Sunday afternoon reception. Especially if you have people driving in.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Also maybe do the rest of your legal poo poo at the same time such as wills and powers of attorney. So it's more of getting everything taken care of from a legal standpoint than just a prenuptial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

If anyone is in the market for a diamond at the moment, be prepared for some sticker shock. The newest price sheet for diamonds came out, and many sizes of diamond from the tiny melee stones up through 3 carats have shot up about 35% in price in the last month. My family jewelry store has been around over 70 years and we're loving stunned right now.

Do you guys have any idea why? Not in the market for anything, but would be interested to hear the kinds of things that can affect that.