Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Emilar posted:

We want to have a casual picnic style lunch (I'll have to change this up if we end up having the ceremony in the late afternoon), maybe some beer and soda, and just enjoy the company of our friends and family and a nice day at the park. Not much more than that.

Any thoughts/recommendations on how this can be done nicely?
Picnic style is so cool! I would do fried chicken and pulled pork, it's super cheap and delicious (although I'm not sure how messy it would be, but if everyone is dressed casually it won't matter). Or you could do a barbecue. Lots of fruit that's in season, cold veggies...

Can I come to your wedding? I'm starting to make myself hungry :) Why would you not have a picnic wedding in the summer, though? Do you live somewhere super hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

RedFish posted:

I've spent a lot of time on a site where the implications of an engagement ring have been debated to death, and the bottom line seems to come down to sacrifice. What did the man give up for this ring.
I'd be interested to hear what other people have to think about this, but the idea that a ring should require some sort of sacrifice (for what? so that he can prove to me just how much he cares?) sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

But, yeah, looking at dates, we're aiming for May 1st 2010 (woo May Day wedding!). It feels like so far away, but I'm so terrified we're going to book our venue and have the photographer not be available or something like that! We've actually partially planned our wedding around when she can do it (she only does it part time on the weekends, she teaches) because her work is amazing, so I would be crushed if things didn't work out. :( Lousy stress!

These are some really cool pictures, especially the engagement ones.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

zman8 posted:

My girlfriend strikes me as conservative when it comes to jewelery (ie less is more), so I'm looking at spending around $1-3k on the band and $8-10k on the diamond (ie F or higher color, ideal cut, and VS1 or higher).
That's a loving ridiculous amount of money to spend on a ring. Especially if she has conservative tastes, spend it on a vacation to Hawaii and give her a smaller ring there.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Poll question:

I've already talked about it with my boyfriend - neither of us wants to contribute to the current diamond market, so I've told him I want to use the diamond from a necklace that my grandmother left me (thanks, this thread, for the idea!). I want to pick out the setting - it's something I have to wear, why should he have to worry about that? The surprise will be the proposal.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tvb posted:

This is the cutest picture ever.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Couldn't you just register for a bunch of stuff, then return it to the store? Or would that not be possible without receipts?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Gravitee posted:

Very cute site! Layout and info is great. I had problems bringing up the pictures - it was just say loading at the top and nothing would come up. I had to refresh the page to get back.
Same here, also the font on your most recent post about group rates is jacked up - it's times new roman and then switches to a sans-serif halfway through the post. I'm guessing this is done in a WYSIWYG editor cause if you look at the source code it looks like maybe you just copy-pasted it in and the style from Microsoft Word got added in as tags on every single line.

edit: VVV I have Firefox too, so not sure what's up.

moana fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 1, 2009

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Seconding that recommendation. You don't have to be married to know you want to be together for the rest of your lives, and even though you may have known her for that long, you haven't dated her for that long and you still might be in the honeymoon period. There is no reason not to wait here, unless you absolutely mustmustmust have your names down on that piece of paper - and why? Why not just buy her a ring and promise to marry her after things have calmed down and you're out of college and actually working? Be patient.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

dawwwwwwwww :3:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I Wish I Was posted:

We're getting married on 10/10/09 and debated for about two minutes waiting a year just for the cool date but then decided we'd rather not wait a whole year just for that!
My friend got married on 8/8/08 because of some Chinese luck thing, but they said that every place was booked on that day and people were charging way more because there was so much demand for catering, etc. It might not be a cooler date, but it'll be cheaper :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hawkeye posted:

When you went to a themed wedding, was there something you saw that made you say "ok that is too much"? etc.
I went to a Midsummer Night's Dream themed wedding once and the WTF moment was seeing the old fat guy dressed in a one piece glittery spandex purple fairy costume. As long as you make it clear you don't want people dressing up as corpses with their entrails hanging out, I think you'll be okay.