Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Medium Bi posted:

Is there any tactful way to tell people that, instead of presents, we would rather have a donation to our fund for a down payment on a house? For our poor friends in their 20's, we created a registry at Target, but is it considered... rude, I guess, to ask for a donation from our better-off friends and family who will just end up buying us a really expensive crock pot and some towels that we don't need? I know people have qualms about giving money as a gift. Is that, like, taboo? I mean, we'll know how much money they spent anyway if they buy something off of our registry. What would be the best way to word it? It seems weird to be like "Our wedding is [date], and we're registered at Target, so BUY US SOMETHIN' OR GIVE US MONEY."

My friends had a registry but also gave people a Paypal account if you wanted to give them cash. They just said it was for their honeymoon fund. I don't think anyone begrudged them that, it was actually really nice to give them something I knew they could use (cash) rather than just picking some generic cutting board or cookware set from a shopping list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Buying a cruelty/debeers-free diamond from Canada or non-Africa country

This is easily one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of. Canadian diamonds can run from %30-50 more then their African counterparts. Purchasing one also puts money into the diamond market, which is just one more little step removed from giving your directly to DeBeers. It's like people who only buy gas from American-only oil companies: it makes you feel good, but it doesn't make a lick of difference in the grand scheme of things because of the nature of global commodity markets. If you Hate Diamonds (because of DeBeers) that much, DON'T BUY ONE IN THE FIRST PLACE. Don't get me wrong: I hate DeBeers and think they're pretty evil, but once I thought about it, making my Fiancee happy for whatever silly reason she wanted a diamond was more important.

This doesn't make any sense. The diamond companies track where their diamonds are from, and if people are willing to pay a premium for a diamond from Canada, the companies will obviously devote more resources to Canadian mining. Even if your conflict-free diamond purchase is putting money into evil DeBeers pockets, it's still incentivizing the company to pursue the conflict-free market.

I think a better analogy than oil would be organic food versus non-organic. Yes, buying organic wheat at a premium puts money into the global wheat market, but it's both logically insupportable and historically disprovable that buying organic wheat doesn't incentivize companies to produce organic wheat.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 3, 2008

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

oxsnard posted:

I guess i suck at making metaphors :(

Regardless, the point still stands that buying a diamond at most chain/high end jewelry stores doesn't make sense because you typically aren't told a thing about the quality of the cut. This aspect of diamonds is the single most important factor in determining the physical beauty of the diamond

Other than the part I quoted, I thought the rest of your post was good. :)

A lot of people will go for the D/VVS1 stuff anyway, though, because honestly the ring really is mostly about showing off. I prioritized cut, but still went after color and clarity (ended up with an E/VVS2) because it's hard to resist that "I want everthing to be PERFECT!!!" impulse.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nwin posted:

Groomsmen gifts...I'm at a loss.

My friend got everyone engraved brass knuckles. I'm not sure how he expected them to get them through airport security (they're illegal in California at least), but everyone thought they were pretty awesome at the wedding.

You could also do custom belt buckles. That seems like it would be kind of fun and unique.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Anyone have experience getting a wedding dress custom-made by a local seamstress? My fiance and I are going to be in Thailand in December, and we're thinking we could save a lot of money by getting a dress made while we're there (I might have a tux made as well since it's probably cheaper than renting). If she brings in pictures of the dress she wants, do you think a seamstress would be able to make something similar?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

zap actionsdower! posted:

That sounds incredibly risky, unless you already have recommendations on seamstresses there.

Also, how long will you be there? It takes a very long time to make a dress. You're talking like, a few months, right?

It's really not risky at all, because we'll be there 9 months before the wedding, so if things don't work out we'll just go the traditional route back in the US.

My uncle is married to a Thai woman, and we're actually going there because my cousin is getting married to a Thai woman, so maybe we'll be able to have them make recommendations or scout things out ahead of time. Then when we're there we could just have the final fitting done.

Edit: we'll be there for 10 days

Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 25, 2008

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Just be sure you bring someone who speaks fluently in both Thai and English and check up on the progress as frequently as you can. I live on the border and my boss had heard very good things about a seamstress in Mexico, so they went to see her with lots of photos and with the help of a friend they got the design down. Or so they thought. The dress was ready for pickup 2 weeks before the wedding and it was nothing like what my boss had planned. She had gone solo for that trip, and had no way to tell the seamstress what exactly was wrong with it. She took the dress, then went down again the next day with a translator -- but by then the seamstress had moved on to other projects and started giving her a hard time about having changes made since the dress was "done" ... everything got sorted out eventually, and the dress did look good, but my boss's attitude about the dress was significantly changed and that's sort of a big thing to be bummed about prior to the wedding. :(

That's a great suggestion. Hopefully we'll have my aunt-in-law with us, or at least find a seamstress who speaks decent English.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

LittleCat posted:

We're not doing save-the-dates (though I'm starting to reconsider that decision). But yah, it looks like this is only going to affect two or three couples so maybe I can just talk to them.

Just send it to the girlfriend, there's no guy in the world that would take offense to something so trivial. I can't imagine a girl taking offense to it either, but from my own experience being engaged, I know that they can get really crazy when it comes to weddings.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

What do you guys think about a Friday wedding? The place we're looking at is about $2000 cheaper for Friday than it is for Saturday, so it's very tempting. But the main things I'd worry about are people not being able to get off work, and the insanity of getting through rushhour traffic (the site is right off of one of the worst traffic corridors in the Bay Area). My fiance and I have only been to three weddings between us, so we don't have much experience. Do Friday weddings generally get a lot fewer people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

We were together for a little over 4 years before I proposed, a little over 1 year living together.

Earlier in the thread, I asked for advice about getting the dress made in Thailand. For anyone curious, we got back from our trip last week and it was really successful. We were there for a Thai wedding, so we just asked the bride where she had her dress made.

My fiance showed the seamstress a picture of the dress she wanted (this Jim Hjelm dress), and she said she could have it done in 3 days for $600 including materials :monocle:. Unfortunately the seamstress didn't have any lace that my fiance really liked, so she just bought 10 yards of silk instead (for a little under $200). She took the silk to a local seamstress over the weekend who quoted her an $800 price for 8 fittings and the dress using our silk, plus the cost of whatever lace my fiance chooses.