Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Generic Superhero posted:

The cost of photographers astounds me. I'm not paying for film, nor am I paying for film processing except for shots I choose, why am I paying 200 dollars an hour for them to take digital pictures? The kicker is most places we've seen charge between 150-300 dollars for us to get the pictures they take on a DVD so we can print them ourselves. It does not cost that much to burn a drat DVD.

Ok this pissed me off so much I couldn't even finish the thread before replying. Weddings are a 12 hour day for me, I photography the rehearsal and dinner too so theres another 4 hours. Add 4 hours (very conservative) of post processing files and you get to 20 hours of work that does not count time traveling, prepping gear or any prewedding consultations. Generally I am working at least twice the amount of hours the couple actually sees me. Factor in insurance, webspace, editing software, continually upgrading camera and flash equipment and that hourly rate drops dangerously low.

That being said I have been a part-time wedding photographer for the last few years and would be happy to answer anyones photography related questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I have taken photos at the altar for clients. They always look a little stiff. Generally people are a bit more relaxed outside and after the ceremony.

I like to do some of the formal stuff before the ceremony but alot of people are so keyed up by waiting it shows through in the photos.

Formal portraits can be easy and quick as long as you have a plan. Make a list of the people you absolutely have to have photos with and do them first. Starting with all the really big groups and slowly subtracting people until you get down to just the bride and groom.

Remember your photographer does not know your family. They can not be expected to know who Uncle Joe is and why he didn't make it in the family photo. Make a list and no body gets missed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
People haggle with me too. I'm a photographer and I'm cheap to begin with. My thoughts are though you should be hiring a creative professional based on their work not their price point.