Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Pegacorn posted:

No, you can't do that! That is horribly rude and shows no class. So you have an A list and a B list of friends? How would people feel knowing they were on the B list?

As someone who offered to be on the B list for a friends wedding, I don't think it's rude at all. People have far too many expectations for other peoples weddings. If my friends don't want to pay 60-150 bucks for a meal for me, Im fine with that. Obviously people that you see on a weekly basis shouldn't be on the "B list", but college friends you talk to online? Who cares. You'd also obviously make a point of not putting people on the B list that you think would get offended.

I also told my friend he could send me (and the rest of our close friends) an e-vite invitation instead of a real invitation, to save money. And I know for a fact I'm ont the A list, as my boyfriend is a groomsmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Pegacorn posted:

It is completely rude and poor etiquette. The "B-list" is also known as "The gift grab", people invited only to receive presents from. If you can't afford to have a big expensive party for everyone and you want everyone to come share your day, you should just have a more modest party that everyone can attend. What's wrong with that?

Who said anything about the b list bringing gifts? I guess maybe it depends on the kind of person you are, but people can usually see through the "we only want gifts!" facade. My friends don't have a registry, and haven't put "presentation preferred" on their invitations. No gifts are expected. I'm looking at it as less like "you are my inferior friends, so you only deserve cake and cocktails" and more like "You are my friends and I'd like you to witness my marriage, unfortunately, I can't provide everyone with dinner, so we're having cake and cocktails after the ceremony so that you know I appreciate your presence and friendship". If you don't want to go and are offended by not being PRIME FRIEND NUMERO UNO, then maybe you have other issues.

And ElanoreMcMantis, I was under the impression it wasn't "you can only come if so and so doesn't", but rather a direct invitation for cake and cocktails, with no dinner on the horizon.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

do what now posted:

In my experience, generally speaking, if you have enough alcohol, everybody will be happy.

Lets not forget the cake. I love cake (I get to cake test tonight with my friend and his fiancee!)

Speaking of cake, wtf is with fruit cake at weddings? I know its an English thing, but does anyone actually eat fruitcake anymore? It's gross.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Pegacorn posted:

Her invitations were sent out in two waves: an A list, and a B list. The A list was sent out first, and once those guests had RSVP'd, the poor second choice B list candidates were offered a spot!"

but I think being a gracious and thoughtful bride/groom is really important, and it seems like it's becoming more rare nowadays.

Common or not, it's in bad taste to have A and B lists.

While I'm not planning a wedding just yet, I still don't see why this is SO AWFUL. I'd take a B list invitation as a compliment that I'm wanted at the wedding. Some people are priority, like family and really close friends. If you have a list of 500 people you want to invite, but can only afford dinner for 300, what's wrong with prioritizing? I may not want my great-aunt Mildred there instead of you, but if she's not invited, there is going to be hell to pay from my entire family. If she declines, then I get to invite you and have more friends there. It's not always a matter of first class friends versus second class friends. Chances are you've already refined the list as much as possible and feel guilty enough not being able to straight up invite everybody.

I also don't understand the notion that being a gracious bride/groom means bending over backwards for people and spending a fortune to satisfy everyone and avoid insulting everyone you've ever met. If you think its rude then don't go, but its the bride and grooms wedding and they are already busting their butts and wallets trying to plan a nice evening to celebrate their marriage. If you seriously get your panties in a twist because you're a second cousin and you see the bride once a year, and you got a B List invitation, you need to grow up.

Edit: I guess I'm just gonna be a rude bastard when I plan my wedding.

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 9, 2008

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Pegacorn posted:

just for the sake of having the most extravagant party you can afford. Why not invite everyone who is important to you, but just have a cake and champagne reception that keeps within your budget?

It's not like the less important people in your life go through less trouble to attend your wedding, so why make them feel less important?

If you can't understand why this sentence:

If you seriously get your panties in a twist because you're a second cousin and you see the bride once a year, and you got a B List invitation, you need to grow up.

is an ugly thing to say, I don't know how to help you. Just because it is a special day for you doesn't mean you should feel entitled to behavior that you normally would consider in bad taste.

I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just genuinely don't think its that big a deal and can't understand why it's such a faux pas, because I honestly wouldn't take offense to it. I'm really not an entitled person, and I don't think that having a wedding entitles you to behave rudely. I'm just not grasping this concept.

I think it's a catch 22. If you put everyone on the same level, and to keep within your budget you only have cake and cocktails, you're going to get labelled as cheap. If you want to have dinner for your close friends and family, but can't feed all the people that you want to (extending invitations in the event that space becomes available), you're rude. The fact of the matter is, I would want to have dinner for everyone, but sometimes you don't get what you want.

(And for the record I'm not talking about PAMPERING some people and not others. In my head I'm seeing dinner as being a simple 1 course meal with pop or wine.)

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

WierdFishes posted:

I am begging everyone who claims that all jewelry stores have negotiable pricing to PLEASE STOP spreading this misinformation.

I know where you're coming from, but people just don't realize that small jewelry stores don't mark up like chains do. It's kind of sad, because they are already getting a better piece for less money and just don't know anything about the industry. I don't think it's fair to say 'don't haggle', because you can - and should - with big chain stores. Independant jewelers however... different story. I think the best you can do is politely say that you price your jewelry according to it's worth, and it's not marked up, so you can not reduce the price.

:(

I wish I worked in a jewelry store.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I have a question. Is it really expected of the couple to have a first dance, or can it be skipped?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Wow - Saturday I attended the most cliche wedding you could ever imagine. Holy moly. SO I got drunk. I feel bad because it was what the bride had always dreamed of, but drat.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I don't think there are any photos up on facebook yet, but when there are I will post them.

The ceremony started out with classic organ music of 'Here Comes the Bride', and she had an impossibly long veil. The two readings were the one about God making Eve from Adams rib, and the other was John's letter to the Corinthians (Love is patient, love is not rude blah blah). The music as they left was classic organ music they always play in movie weddings. What is that song, does anyone know?

The tables at the reception were all 'words that the bride and groom feel describe marriage', so our table was sympathy I think, and the one next to us was caring. Then the speaches. What is up lately with people making speaches to intentionally embarass the groom (and to a lesser extent the bride)? Anyhoo, they were long winded and tedious and at some points almost malicious. And they brought up the cost of the wedding several times, which I thought was odd.

At this point I got drunk.

For the dance, all the music was awful country songs or terrible love songs. Except for Rasputin. God I love that song.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

CagedLiberty posted:

Farewell Horizon - Pachelbel's Canon in D is used a lot for weddings and in films, was it that?

No, but I did some googling and it was the Mendelsohn Wedding March?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Oh god I love that cake, and the dress under the circuit board.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
If shes really petite, I would guess her ring size as being between a 3 and a 5 (I'm 5.5 and I am 6 feet tall) and then assume you'll have to get it resized. Maybe go for a 4.

Does she have any sisters that would conspire with you? I know when the time comes, my sisters boyfriend will want my help, and my sisters hands are about the same size as mine (never mind that I made her try on rings and find out her ring size).

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Wow! I just looked at the Wai Ching dresses and good god drat if I ever manage to get married I was this one: http://www.wai-ching.com/lookbook/3/31.jpg

Its absolutely gorgeous, and its cheap! I expected them to be incredibly expensive.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zap actionsdower! posted:

but I'm curious about corsets. Will the corset I buy at the bridal shop be outrageously priced? If I buy one somewhere else/online, is there something I can look for to ensure that it won't show under my dress....or should I just try some on at the shop?

A good lingerie store will probably be able to help you. We have a couple round here that are specialty lingerie boutiques and they have everything and are very knowledgeable. You probably don't want a CORSET corset. because then you won't be able to breath. A bustier will keep your boobs up and your tummy in without cutting off your oxygen supply and digestive tract.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zman8 posted:

My girlfriend strikes me as conservative when it comes to jewelery (ie less is more), so I'm looking at spending around $1-3k on the band and $8-10k on the diamond (ie F or higher color, ideal cut, and VS1 or higher). It seems as though these sites have the simple bands with great diamonds. Is this too good to be true or is it just online savings?

That is a loving huge budget. Like. Thats tons, even with a platinum band.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zman8 posted:

My girlfriend strikes me as conservative when it comes to jewelery (ie less is more), so I'm looking at spending around $1-3k on the band and $8-10k on the diamond (ie F or higher color, ideal cut, and VS1 or higher). It seems as though these sites have the simple bands with great diamonds. Is this too good to be true or is it just online savings?

Just to put things in perspective, I've helped a lot of my male friends out with rings. They usually have a 2k budget and walk away with a half carat, white gold, G-F colored diamond with VS1 or VVS2 clarity within their budgets. A half carat diamond is actually quite large. Personally I'd say a .3 carat diamond is conservative.

You'll pay an excessive amount extra for every 'increment'. As in, an exact .5 carat diamond will cost you significantly more than a .48 carat diamond, and they look exactly the same.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zman8 posted:

Wowsa thats enormous.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
My friend got some gorgeous turqoise heels to wear with her white wedding dress. I think the flash of color is neato.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Gravitee posted:

We didn't want people to clink glasses all through dinner, so we used a kissing bowl. If you wanted us to kiss you had to make a donation and put it in a glass bowl we had on the head table. We ended up raising $75 and donated it to charity. It worked too - clinking was kept to a minimum and we were able to raise money and not look like greedy bastards. (e.g. Dollar Dance)

Oh my god that's brilliant.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

WolfensteinBag posted:

I LOVE the kissing bowl idea, though! It'd be neat to have a note on there saying all the money raised would go to the rescue we got our husky from. I don't know if we could get away with not doing the glass thing, though, my family seems to be obsessed with it!

I'm Canadian and I HATE the clinking kissy thing. Drives me bananas. At a friends wedding, every time you clinked your glass, you had to answer a star trek trivia question. If you got it right, THEN the bride and groom would kiss. It was pretty funny. It kept the chinking of glasses at bay, and was a lot of fun. They just had their MC announce before dinner that this was happening, and everyone carried on. No biggie.

I've been to a lot of weddings where there is so much clinking of glasses that the bride and groom barely get to eat. It's loving annoying.

The bowl is a gret idea, I would donate the money to one of the local animal shelters.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Bambi posted:

It's a 14k white gold band with a .77 carat center stone (G/VS2), .40 carats of side diamonds and .30 carats of tanzanite sidestones. The seller is asking $900. Now like I said, I don't know much about these things, but from my casual browsing of rings online that seems like an unbelievable deal. Too good to be true, or what? For what it's worth the seller seems pretty reputable.

I am skeptical of this. The diamond alone should be well over 900 at .77, and Tanzanite is very rare. Not to mention, you don't want tanzanite in a claw setting. If you want tanzanite in a ring it needs to be bezel set because its very soft and will crack.

If you dig blue stones look for sapphires, they are very hard. I generally don't trust ebay for anything... I am kinda skeptical. I am more inclined to trust online retailers like thenaturalsapphirecompany.com and, whats the diamond one thats good?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

80k posted:

If you want to get tanzanite in a ring, there is a practical alternative. You can get very fine quality synthetic (lab-grown, so it's genuine, but not natural) gemstones at a cheap price. Tanzanites are not available in synthetic form yet, but they have managed to make synthetic corundum's (same gem family as sapphire/ruby) with a tanzanite color. So you'll essentially have a tanzanite colored sapphire.

Yeah but you could also get a natural tanzanite colored sapphire. Natural Sapphires are heat treated to bring about colors, and heat treating stones isn't considered an enhancement. Why bother with synthetic when you can get real!?

See:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Pinkish-Purple/Round/stoneid=U2550

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Violet/Radiant/stoneid=U296

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Purple/Oval/stoneid=U2543

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Purple/Radiant/stoneid=U2533

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Purple/Round/stoneid=U2289

Go to thenaturalsapphire.com, click the sapphires drop down menu on the top right hand side, hit 'unique', then filter the colors you are interested in.

If you feel confident that the ring isn't a scam, go ahead, but have it appraised as soon as you get it so that you can return it if need be. My main concern is the tanzanites. They are quite soft and if you bang a stone set in a claw like that, it could very well crack. Aren't tanzanites about the prettiest things you've ever seen though?!

This is a good setting for a tanzanite:

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/CATALOG/graphics/Tanzanite-Tingle-Ring-13.gif

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

jomiel posted:

:swoon: thats gorgeous, where did you get it?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm all over the sapphire engagement ring, I think they just look so classy.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

jomiel posted:

Thanks for the ring love! :) We bought a pre-set ring from the site mentioned earlier (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/) since my fiance avoids physical shopping as much as possible, haha. They only give you their store certificate though (instead of an actual GIA or whatever), but we figured it probably doesn't really matter since the ring isn't that expensive (relatively!).

I've actually only heard great things about thenaturalsapphirecompany.com. I've done some reading and looking around and their prices are competetive and appropriate. I've heard rumors that they will actually arange to send stones to a third party gem place / jeweller for you to have it looked at or appraised prior to committing to purchasing it, but I've never tried.

I love browsing their site.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

doctor thodt posted:

What's the absolute most I should spend on a 14k wg 1/2 carat solitaire? Just trying to get a sense of average prices.

I'm in Canada, but from what I've seen, ABSOLUTE most would be 2k. Like absolute absolute. I would say 1500 is a better price range, you should be able to get a nice diamond in a white gold prong setting for that much. I've seen way cheaper but it's best to high ball (which is why I say 2k absolute).

Unless you have your heart set on a brand name like Tacori or Tiffany.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Kumon posted:

Could someone break down ranking on what is most important ie:

1. Cut
2 ?
3 ?
4 etc.

Personally I think;

Cut
Clarity
Color
Carat

Ie: You want a well cut diamond, relatively free of inclusions, with a decent color, and size should be the last thing that matters. However a lot of people would put carat before clarity and get something big with big chunks of carbon in it D:

Edit: For pricescope, you have to do a little learning and know that Depth and Table are referring to the cut. I don't know what the ideal numbers for those are.

Edit 2: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/cut.asp

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 4, 2009

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zap actionsdower! posted:

On Friday I was driving my scooter home from work and was hit by a drunk driver. GOt home from the hospital on Tuesday with a broken jaw and a titanium rod in my leg. I should have the jaw unwired before the wedding, but I might still be on crutches.

Oh my god!! I'm so sorry! I'm glad you are.. er... okay? I suppose you're not OKAY per se, but I'm glad things weren't worse. drat man. Did they get the guy that hit you?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Lixer posted:

I don't know if it's just a bad picture, but that is very purple for a ruby.

It's still a pretty ring though.

There is a lot of variation in color in corrundums. For rubies the bright red is ideal, but that color isn't uncommon. It could even be a sapphire, they are closely related.

Edit: Here is a nice purpley one from the natural sapphire co.

pretty!

And a similar colored sapphire

and another!

Also the stone is opaque and cut as a faceted cab, so light doesn't pass through really well.

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 16, 2009

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

roop posted:

I'll ask just once more since I didn't get an answer....

Have any Canadians bought from bluenile? What duties/taxes were there?

I haven't, but I am Canadian. There will probably be quite a bit of duty on it, depending oh who ships. You could probably call fedex and canada post to get numbers. Typically its a percentage of the retail value, so they should be able to give you figures if you have a price range.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

RedFish posted:

Wine, beer, and a signature cocktail.

My friends did this at their wedding and it was fine. I had a couple signature drinks, then bought a couple drinks, and I was good. A couple friends brought their own flasks of rye and drank that. I think this is a good way to do it. Have 2 bottles of wine at each table, then have a signature drink, then the rest of the bar is a cash bar.

Could you do a toonie bar? My sister did that, subsidized the bar and then each drink was 2-3 bucks.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

GEMorris posted:

Our stuff is at http://www.oslopress.com/wedding-invitations.html our invitation was the willow design. If it is not cool to self promote like this let me know and I will edit this part out.

poo poo that is so loving neato.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Sehkmet posted:

Argh! Has anyone else ever had to cope with this before? How did you do it? I'm open to suggestions here.

Why not have them both walk you down the isle? I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless it would cause a major conflict because they hate each other, or something.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Sehkmet posted:

Sadly, my stepfather wouldn't give a toss, but my bio-father would probably cause a stink. He's like that.

<bitter> He's also the reason there won't be an open bar. Hrf. </bitter>

Then I think your only option is to talk to your step father and explain to him exactly whats going on and how you feel.

You want him to walk you down the aisle, but you know your bio father would be hurt if you didn't ask him, and you don't want to destroy everything you've worked for over something as silly as walking down the aisle.

Play down the role as if it has no sentimental value to you, and maybe find something else your step father could do in the ceremony. Like perhaps he could be your witness, or be a part of any kind of candle or sand ceremony you have.

Hopefully he will be understanding and support your decision.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I've also heard it's very common practice to double the appraisal value for insurance purposes, because insurance companies are stingy fuckers.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I went to THE BEST wedding on the weekend. The bride was my cousin, who although lives in a different city and has most of her life, I adore. My family flew out for the wedding and had an absolute ball.

The ceremony was fairly simple, no frills, no full mass (thank god) then we went back to her parents house for cocktails before the reception while they had photos taken. They had a Chinese tea ceremony before the reception (at the recption hall, in an adorable outdoor ceremony area thing..).

The reception was on the most gorgeous property, with a little lake behind it, and trees and plants and manicured lawns, and the actual hall was a neat little building. The wedding party danced their way into the recption hall and were all partying and jumping and grinding with each other before sitting down. Speech, soup, speech, salad, speech, entree, speech, dessert, bride and groom speech.

The first couple speeches were short and sweet. The Father of the Groom speech was so touching that pretty well everyone was crying. Then my aunt and uncle had their speech, and everyone was crying again, then the bride and groom spoke, and everyone was just sobbing. The maid of honor, who was the brides sister, was just SOBBING. They were long but I swear to god everyone was crying, they were such heartfelt speeches.

Then there was a father daughter dance, then we had cupcakes instead of cake. Maid of Honor made cupcakes with butter cream icing and oh. my. god. I have never tasted anything so delicious. Then there was an open bar and we all got drunk and danced our hearts out. There was no bouquet toss, no garter toss, no tacky bride dances, no table to table after dinner.

Thats what I want when I get married.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Very very pretty ring, and I don't like diamonds!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Gravitee posted:

I think legally it's a gift so the recipient can do what they want with it but I think it's common courtesy to give it back. I mean if things didn't work out, I wouldn't want a reminder of the relationship hanging out in my jewelry box.

Actually in some states the ring is considered a contract that you agree to marry someone and you are legally bound to return it if the engagement ends. Look it up for your state though.

It's also just common courtesy.

Maso: Off topic but, a bunch of people kept hassling my sister about when her and her husband were going to have babies. They stfu when they found out she had recently been pregnant and had miscarried at three months. My boyfriends mom doesn't even care that we're not married yet - she wants babies! At least she's polite about it though.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Chajara posted:

so my ideal engagement ring would have a green sapphire and some sort of oak leaf design in the band. I managed to find a designer with some rings I like, but of course she's in the UK and I'm in the US: http://www.georginaettridge.co.uk/gallery/?a=lis&cat_id=49

You might be surprised at the cost of a custom ring. If you keep it simple, a custom ring can be quite reasonable. Ask for a quote from that jeweller anyways, and if its out of your price range, look for a jeweller locally. Mom n pop stores usually do custom work.

There are lots of advantages to smaller jewellery stores.

And Maso that ring is sooooo pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Juniper posted:

I wasn't clear on whether he can't wear any metals or has just had a bad experience with a watch in the past, so I'm especially suggesting surgical steel and titanium.

More than likely, he's really sensitive to nickel, which is an alloy in pretty well everything. Usually nickel sensitive people are okay with 18k gold, but if he's not, titanium and surgical steel have lower nickel content. There is also platinum and tungsten carbide which I think are nickel free, and in general low to no allery.

As far as ceramics go, he could look into pyrex. Glass wear studios makes body jewellery but I'm sure you could request a ring, and I'm sure it would be cheap.

There are also gemstone options. I've seen men wearing jade rings, and hematite.

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 3, 2009