Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

do what now posted:

Another way to save on invites but still have them is do them yourselves. Target makes really nice (but inexpensive) pre made invites that you just print on with your printer at home. They even come with ribbons/glitter/other fancy stuff. My bridesmaid did that for her wedding, and it looked really nice.

Buffet style food at a wedding saves money on not paying for servers, but you have to pay for extra food because people take more/go for seconds.

I'm in the process of making invitations for my wedding, and I am saving a ton of money by doing that. I spent about $75 on paper and other necessary items, and that's it for about 200 invitations plus reception cards and RSVP cards. It's tedious to put them together, but fortunately my mom is retired and very crafty and is more than happy to work on it when I can't. Also, my brother is a graphic designer, so he helped out with the design. They're very simple, but that's what I would have wanted anyway, no matter how much I paid.

I'm having a buffet, and it's maybe $5 a person cheaper than a plated dinner. Considering we're inviting about 400 people, that adds up pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

jcschick posted:

Is it tacky to just have the wedding party and the parents at the rehearsal dinner? My fiance's parents don't have a lot of money and I was just thinking we could do a quick dinner at a cheap restaurant and since there will be only 3-4 people in the wedding party, 2 sets of parents and the clergy/his wife, it would be better than having all 80 guests, etc.

Basically you should invite everyone who is at the rehearsal to the rehearsal dinner. So if the only people are the wedding party and your parents, then it's OK. But if you have ushers, readers, singers, or anybody like that, they should also be invited.

You certainly do not have to invite all your guests. That's what the reception is for.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

teamgod posted:

Is it normal to just invite family and not friends? Looking at my list I've got about 22 people just on my side of the family alone. And is it normal to get your guests to pay for their lodgings? I feel bad but if I have to pay for them to come up here it's gonna leave me broke.

And another question: does the actual wedding ceremony include whoever the hell wants to come, and then only your picks come to the reception/dinner afterwards? Because I don't mind if people show up to watch us get married, but I can't feed/supply booze to a poo poo ton of people I see maybe once a year.

It's definitely normal to only invite family. And I've never been to a wedding where the couple paid for hotel rooms. Usually, the couple just sets aside a block of rooms at a hotel, and it's up to the guests to pay for them.

In my experience, if you invite people to a wedding, you are inviting them to the wedding and the reception. Actually, a lot of people skip the wedding and only attend the reception, not the other way around. Sometimes people are just invited to the after-dinner/dancing part of the reception, so you could do that if there are people you want to invite but don't want to pay for their meal.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Pegacorn posted:

No, you can't do that! That is horribly rude and shows no class. So you have an A list and a B list of friends? How would people feel knowing they were on the B list?

I've been on a B list before, it it didn't bother me in the slightest. I recognize that people need to draw lines somewhere when putting together their guest list, and I understand if I fall below that line until they get an idea of how many people are coming. I can see how some would be offended though.

I'm getting married next month, and we are inviting about 400 people, so there is no A and B list in our case. We didn't want to have to make that determination.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

jcschick posted:

Sorry to bump but need help. With regards to announcements/invitations: Is it tacky to send out announcements to people who aren't invited to the wedding? We want to keep it small - like 80 people but there a lot of people (friends of my parents, etc) that would like to know that I got married, etc. My sister says it's fine; my mother says it's just asking for gifts.

My understanding in this scenario is that you send wedding announcements after you are married to people who weren't invited, to alert them to the fact that you are now married. I know when I was looking at invitations for my wedding, that was something you could purchase in addition to the regular invitations.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

IdeoPhanthus posted:

That sounds nice and all, but what about the formal pictures of the wedding party together? Our ceremony is outdoors at my uncle's house. We're doing the group photos before we leave for the reception (between the end of the ceremony & the start of the reception). I've been to several weddings, but they all did recieving lines, so they exited down the aisle to a spot for the congrats, and then after all the guests exited/congratulated, the wedding party went back to the altar area for their formal photos. If we're not doing a recieving line, but instead we're going directly to the formal photos, what do we do...exit down the aisle & loop back to the altar?

I've seen people write on the program for the ceremony that there will be no receiving line, so the guests should proceed immediately to the reception location (or wherever they're going next). When I get married next month, we're going to do something like that. We only have a short period of time between the ceremony and the reception, so we need all the time for pictures. We'll have plenty of time to talk to people at the reception.

do what now posted:

I have never photographed a wedding where the posed shots were taken at the altar - my clients always preferred that they be taken someone on the ceremony grounds, and that the only photos at the altar be taken during the actual ceremony. However, you should take photos wherever you think it best.

I'm not a wedding photographer, so my experience with weddings is limited, but I've never been part of a wedding that DIDN'T have some posed pictures at the altar.

quepasa18 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 15, 2008

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

sheri posted:

I live in the midwest, where (at least in my area) completely open bars are a very big exception. Not a lot of people do completely open bars.

When my husband and I got married (a little over two months ago) we had free beer/wine/champagne/punch/soda the whole night. If you wanted to get plastered on our dime, great! If you wanted something different, the bartender was right there and ready to serve you.

I've never been to a wedding where there wasn't some form of alcohol offered for free. People spend a lot on travel, hotels, gifts (and if they are in the wedding, showers, dresses, tux rental), etc. The food and booze should be free.

Edit: We paid for the majority of the wedding costs ourselves, and didn't go into debt at all. Had a great time too!

I also live in the midwest, and we offered free beer and soda at our reception. The free beer was limited to a couple different brands that we had on tap. Other brands of beer, plus any other kind of alcohol was available for purchase. That seems to be a fairly standard and acceptable way of doing things around here.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

It looks like a great way to appeal to their friends and alienate their family and colleagues.

Agreed. I wouldn't expect anyone over the age of 25 to show up at your wedding. I know if I received an invitation like this, I probably wouldn't go. It just sounds like a big old frat party to me.

Also, the phrase "bring the shorties with" irritates me to no end.

I do agree that post card RSVPs are a great way to go. I did that for my wedding. We handmade our invitations for a cost of about $1 each, although there was a lot of labor involved. But I had tons of people compliment us on them. So you can do classy invitations for cheap.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

KarmaCandy posted:

No, I'm talking aside from the extended family - the extended family is already on the list and accounts for about 35 people. All my aunts and uncles will be there + most of my cousins (we have so many cousins that the older cousins established a built in rule that older cousins invite the older generation and younger cousins invite the younger generation so family is not at all a problem). There's also lots of people on his list who I've met once or twice - which is fine, at least I've met them. But there's a whole separate list of people he wants to invite that includes all of the co-workers he works with and I guess there are people who are family friends but because I lived with my mom and not him, they're more friends with my step-family and my dad, and I've never met them before.

Does your dad have a tradition of going to his friends'/coworkers' kids' weddings? This happened at my wedding. My dad has one group of buddies he golfs with, one group he plays cards with, and one group of close coworkers and they always go to the kids' weddings. These are largely people I've heard of, but never met. For me not to invite them would have almost been rude given the context. It wasn't really an issue for me though, because I was having a big wedding anyway.

As far as feeling obligated to mingle with those people, I really didn't to any large extent. They were essentially my dad's guests rather than mine, so he took it upon himself to be the one to make them feel welcome. What I did was once we were done eating, my husband and I got up and went from table to table to say hello to everyone. So I essentially greeted 10 people at once doing that, and for some that was my only contact with them the whole day. Beyond that, I really only spent any significant time talking to those who I knew best.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Had anyone had to have ceremonies/receptions in multiple places? My fiancee and I (I proposed last week, at the restaurant where we met, perfect for us) are not from around here, my friends/family are all in Toronto, her friends and family are mostly scattered in DC, SanFran and the Philippines.

We don't really want a huge wedding with the hotel reception etc but at the same time we want to have a ceremony and a reception with all our friends.

So far we're thinking of having three ceremonies, 1 civil here in town, 1 catholic ceremony in Toronto and 1 catholic ceremony in the Philippines. Has anyone had to deal with a situation like this? I'm not too keen on forcing my friends to fly here for the ceremony (family not really a big deal, dad's a pilot) and neither is my fiancee nor are we really interested in a destination wedding as it mostly just becomes family and I don't really want to force our families on going on vacation with us.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had to deal with this, if so how did you handle it?

My best friend did something like this. They had a ceremony and reception ins City 1, and then another reception in City 2 a month or so later. They didn't have another ceremony in City 2 though.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Belldandy posted:

Are wedding dresses sized differently than regular clothes or is size 10 what the models for these dresses usually are? I had always thought size 0 was the smallest and I am assuming most samples or models would be dressed in that size.

My wedding dress was two sizes bigger than what I normally wear. My best friend's wedding dress was 3 sizes bigger. I think that's fairly standard.

You'd think it's be the opposite, so brides would feel good about being in a "smaller" size.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Venyia posted:

Just a question for consideration:

Has anyone had a situation where your father or other male father-figure wasn't available or alive for your wedding? My father died when I was 16, but I like the symbolism behind being handed from your young, family life to your new, husband-oriented life. I consider asking my mother to do me the honor of walking me down the aisle, but I'm curious how others handled the scenario.

My sister was married a few years ago, and she had our uncle walk her down the aisle, but I don't have the same relationship with him that she does.

I'm not getting married any time soon, but this is something I ponder occasionally anyhow! :) Thoughts, comments?

My cousin's wife's father died a couple of years before their wedding. Her mom walked her down the aisle. However, before proceeding down the aisle, she stopped and lit a candle for her father. It was a very meaningful, yet simple way to acknowledge her father's presence.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

cranberry juice posted:

I think they keep them large, because it's easier for a tailor to size down the dress to fit who ever buys it. I remember my (really tiny) friend saying she tried all her dresses on with binder clips in the back, to get a realistic idea of what they would look like.

We're not talking about that though. What I'm saying is that I normally wear a size 12. My wedding dress was a size 18. So the way they label the sizes is different than "normal" sizes. That's what I mean when I say the sizes are bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
I had my cousin videotape my wedding, using my brother's video camera. Unfortunately, no one realized that the camera was in night vision mode so all the colors are off. So if you do have a friend/family member do it, make sure everything is set correctly.