Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelpingFriendlyBook
Nov 3, 2005

my daily affirmation
I finally bought the engagement ring this weekend while she was away. The best advice I can give anyone is "don't be afraid to haggle". Granted, I was in the manhattan diamond district, but no matter where you are, there's a lot of competition. I described to the guy the kind of ring I wanted and the approximate size and quality of the stone and he showed me one that I liked right off the bat. I knew immediately I was going to buy it. He told me it would run about $3200 pre-tax. By the time I left I had talked him down to $2600 out the door (about $2400 pre-tax). The rock is a .55 carat Round Cut, G color, VVS1 clarity, which appears to be worth almost 2 grand on its own, depending on who you're asking. I'm sure I could have done better with some connections but I think I did alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelpingFriendlyBook
Nov 3, 2005

my daily affirmation

Dr. VonHugenstein posted:

Congrats! Sounds like a nice ring. Does it have an independent appraisal with it? If not, I would get it appraised for insurance purposes. Do you have a date or plan for popping the question yet?

Actually, it doesn't have an independent appraisal. I should, though.

Yes, we're going to Spain for 10 days on April 17th. I'm presuming the perfect opportunity will present itself while we're there. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on a guitar and sing this song I wrote (stop laughing) but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

HelpingFriendlyBook
Nov 3, 2005

my daily affirmation
Bumping for ring acquisition!

Dunno how to describe this type of setting, does anyone know:

http://stevemcguigan.googlepages.com/ring.jpg

HelpingFriendlyBook
Nov 3, 2005

my daily affirmation

Kelly posted:

That's really nice SM - congrats to you. And good luck on popping the question! :)

Edit: don't get nervous and pop the question in the parking lot of a Friday's like mine did!

hey lady, stop trolling my post history!

nice to see you

HelpingFriendlyBook
Nov 3, 2005

my daily affirmation

Smackbilly posted:

$5300 Engagement ring
$1700 Wedding band (groom)
$ 900 Wedding band (bride)
$1400 Bridal gown/shoes/etc
$ 150 Park reservation
$ 400 Officiant fee
$ 600 Photographer fee
$ 400 Invitations
$ 150 Chairs/tables/etc rental
$ 900 Flowers/decorations/etc
$6000 Reception (space/food/booze)
$1000 Travel/misc expenses in planning the wedding
------
$18000 So far

Can you tell me more about your reception? What was the per-head breakdown? How long was the event? was it at night, on a saturday, during a peak time?

edit: just saw that it was 50 people, sorry.