Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Has anyone bought an engagement ring or other pricey item from Blue Nile before? My GF and I have decided to get engaged and I know what I'm looking for in a ring. I like to buy things online generally because I feel like I'm getting a better value. Blue Nile is traded on the NASDAQ so I'd assume they're pretty safe as far as my money goes, but I'm just curious if anyone can report on the experience of shopping with them. Is their shipping safe and quick, are they helpful, etc.? I really don't want to buy from a store because I feel like I'm in a worse position for analyzing, whereas online I can get a loose diamond and know its exact specs.

Short Version: How is shopping at BlueNile.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

skipdogg posted:

Very helpful, very nice, very fast shipping. A friend of mine has nothing but good things to say about them.

Thanks, I think I'll take them on a test drive and get some pearl earrings for V-day.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Hawkeye posted:

(Frustration time, since I can't talk about it with the person I live with!)

I'm a bit peeved at the jewelry store I've been going to for buying the engagement ring.

The past few times I was there with the gf, I saw people haggle with prices; where a guy would slip the seller a piece of paper and they would go back and 'talk to the manager' then come back with a counteroffer. We've been going slow as snails about buying this, but they seemed rather accommodating with it.

I go back today alone to see about buying the ring, with the plan in mind of trying for 100 lower than the asking price they told me. Hell, JohnnyRnR told me to aim 200 lower, but I didn't feel confident in my haggling skills to go that low. I start to tell him I like it but my ideal price would be -- and he stopped me mid sentence to start saying all prices are up front and we don't haggle we set our prices as low as possible etc etc etc.

Well, considering I've seen people haggle there, it makes me think that since I am one of the younger shoppers in the store (at 24! most are mid30's-40's) they are trying to gently caress me over. In the end he asked me what my ideal price was, (1100), and said he would call the manufacturer monday and see how much exactly it would cost them and what exactly my price would be.

Also, part of me would rather buy the diamond straight from them, but they only have one stone in my desired range (0.74-0.85). When I started saying I wasn't sold on it, he kinda started just blabbering about how it's my choice but if I don't buy from them they won't have a warranty on the stone (yeah I know) and that they would charge for setting it (he did not disclose how much).
The stone is GIA 2101567687, 0.74carat. It's HCA score is only a 2.9, and they want $2500, gah.

I think monday, I may ask for quotes on the ring from other vendors, drat shame. I had hoped this would be easy =)

I don't know if you've considered it, but I've got to pimp Bluenile.com. I got my fiancee's ring there last year, and their prices/service was superb. My fiancee has very long thin fingers, so of course the ring needed to be resized (down to 5 1/2 or something absurdly small that most places don't do), they did it for free with really fast turn around and no problems. The appraisal on the ring was also significantly more than the ting cost (something like appraised at 5k paid 3k). I've also bought pearl earrings from them before and been pleased with those. If you know what cut of stone you want and the setting it's the place to go.