Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barraGOUDA
Apr 19, 2006

FISH + CHEESE = YAY

sheri posted:

I'm getting married the first weekend of May. My fiance did not ask for my father's permission. I would not have liked it if he ask my father, as I don't like the patriarchy of it all.

Perhaps, if you are set on doing something like that, inform her father beforehand of your intentions and ask for his blessing rather than permission?

This is exactly what I asked my fiancé do. I hate the idea of him having to ask for permission, because I'm not my parents' property (or anyone's, for that matter); I'm an adult and I can make decisions for myself. However, my parents are a little more traditional, and I figured it would be a nice compromise for him to get together with my parents alone for breakfast one day and just inform them of his intentions to marry me--no asking, just politely letting them know. Even though it was my idea (which I guess is a little weird), my fiancé agreed that it would be a good way to placate the folks.

I guess I should add that we'd all already known it was coming, so there wasn't any element of surprise (I told my parents a long time ago I knew I'd marry him). I can't speak to that. In our case, though, it was a nice little formality so Mom and Dad could feel included (even though we'd be getting married regardless of what they said), and we still maintain our independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU