Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!
I too, am sorry to hear about your accident. But on the plus side, those invites are neat. The design is quite unique.

On an unrelated note, you have three middle names, and one of the is Rocketship?!? Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006

Zaftig posted:

1. What should I tell my (huge) family when I announce it? Honestly, I'd have been planning a ceremony far away so that most of them wouldn't come but would still send gifts (like you're not thinking it too), but should I send them a save-the-date cards a long way in advance and then say we've changed our plans, or what?

I would tell them that you are planning on getting married on a cruise ship, and are just going to do something very, very small. Telling them to save the date when you know you aren't going to invite them seems really rude.

If you're that concerned about gifts, you could just send out announcements after the fact, and then cross your fingers. Or, you could consider holding a low-key reception after the fact.

Just out of curiosity, why no invite everyone on the cruise?

Zaftig posted:

3. Is it expected to pay for the guests, or to have them pay for themselves?

It isn't expected, but it sure would be nice of you.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006

Zaftig posted:

The only reason I thought of sending a save the date was that I was thinking about using live video footage. I realize it seems rude, but it's kind of like sending graduation invitations in my mind: the biggest people in my life will want to be there, and everyone else would rather save the cost of attending and send a card. I'd rather have a really fun time with a very tiny group, and that's all I can afford.

I would either say that you should let them make the decision about cost/importance or just invite them to view it. Send out "invites" with the time/date/url. Or do what King Skinny Pimp suggested, and view it together later (really, do this, it's the best idea.)

It just seems to me that if you send "save the date" cards, someone might be inclined to do something wacky like: not make any other plans that weekend, with the intention of celebrating that day special day with you.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006

Bean_ posted:

heirloom ring

Most of the women I know would love something like that, but it's completely a matter of personal preference, and you know her better than we do. Also, I don't think it would be as much of a question for you if you stopped referring to it as a "hand me down." It's not a used accessory, there is symbolism and meaning and history.

I'd say give her the heirloom, but let her know (later) that if she doesn't like it, you won't be offended about getting something else. On that note, even if it does mean a lot to you that it is a family piece, don't be offended if she wants to geet something else. This is something she'll be wearing on her hand every day for the rest of her life. Don't guilt her into wearing something she doesn't like. Is it at all like the ones she pointed out earlier? Because if it is completely different, (ie. she picked out nothing but yellow gold with colored stones or something) you might want to reconsider.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006

tishthedish posted:

Question: the fiance and I are having a small wedding, family only (with one exception). His parents are divorced, and his dad remarried while his mom is still single. Since my fiance's mom is on pretty terrible terms with my fiance's dad, I suggested that his mom bring a friend. A few days ago, his mom said that the friend she wants to invite is bringing her husband.

Uhhh...I've been thinking about it, and it really is starting to irritate me. I would like to invite some of my friends, but the goal was to keep it small. Am I wrong to be pissed off that not only are two complete strangers coming to the wedding, but my MIL is telling us that the friend's husband is coming?

It seems reasonable to be mad to me. I would suggest that either you or your fiance (depending on how close you are) need to make the situation clear to her. I think telling her that none of your friends are coming might make her rethink. Perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere, and she (or the friend) is thinking the more the merrier.

Even if she refuses to 'uninvite' the husband, don't think of it as a slight towards you, think of it like she wants more people to witness this special event. You don't want to start of your marriage all angry, do you? At the end of the day, one dude probably won't be that big of a deal.