Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Hey there new travel forum visitors! Here's the list of suggested online resources for traveling purposes that I collected when travel threads were hanging out in Goons across the Globe. If anyone has any other truly awesome sites for booking or planning travel, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

Online Travel Resources
Online Reservation Sites
The biggies:
Orbitz
Expedia
Travelocity

Multi-site Search Engines
Kayak
SideStep
Hotels Combined
Travelaxe.com
Farecast.com - Tracks historical prices and recommends buying or waiting based on these.

Hostelling and Budget Travel
HostelWorld
Sky Scanner "...Search engine for all the little budget airlines in Europe with some really cool search options (like "Where can I go for £xxx on xxx date?")."
GoMIO.com Book a hostel room.
Budget Travel
1-800-FLY-EUROPE
Ryan Air and Easy Jet Discount Airlines for Flights within Europe
Hostelz.com Hostel Reviews and Reservations
Travel Cuts Student Travel!
STA Travel Student-oriented travel deals and info. Also the place to get your ISIC card.
Student Universe.com More student deals, and "great for discount European rail passes"
Airfare Watchdog Find cheap flights to a variety of destinations after entering your home airport

Local Info/What's life like in [X]
Road Junky "They have a bunch of country profiles that give you non-standard travel info; i.e. how easy it is to get laid, what the food is like, that party scene etc."
Wikitravel Like Wikipedia but with (presumably) fewer Pokemon articles.
TripAdvisor Reviews and booking info all in one place.
Tales Mag "It's much more about living overseas than travel and it's targeted at US Foreign Service people but it's still a great resource on what to expect from cities all over the world, especially places that aren't traditional tourist destinations."
Let's Go Aimed at youth travelers.
Lonely Planet
Virtual Tourist
Volunteer South America Low Cost Volunteering in South America
BUNAC Work or live abroad info for students or recent grads.
CoolWorks.com Forums with info on Working Abroad
SeasonWorkers Seasonal Jobs & Gap Year Travel Info
ESL Cafe Teaching jobs around the world
Backdoorjobs.com More jobs around the world
WWoOF.org Work on organic farms around the world
Onebag.com "If you're traveling by plane, why not experience the joys of travelling with just a single bag?"
Tales of Asia "Run by an American photographer that now lives with his (Thai) wife in Thailand and runs a guesthouse in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Lot of useful information, especially on Cambodia and Thailand. Some interesting stories about his own trips through Asia, along with a lot of readers' submissions."
UK Yankee's Forums Resource for expats and students going across the pond
U.S. Department of State Country Profiles

Travel & Local Info Megathreads
Japan Megathread and Megathread 2
Europe (Goldmine)
Backpacking in SE Asia
Scotland (Archives)
New York
San Francisco/Bay Area
Texas

CalamityKate fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003
I'd actually add BUNAC to the Local Info list. In the past we've often had people asking how they can work or live abroad and BUNAC, while limited to a few months during university or directly after graduation, is by FAR the easiest and cheapest way to legally work in the UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand (for Americans - they have programmes for other citizens, too).

And also, whilst being a bit more specific, I've found the forums at UK Yankeeto be extremely helpful for Visa and Citizenship questions, cultural issues, and expat tax questions, but I think would also be applicable for lots of study abroad students coming to the UK, too.

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

If you're up for trusting your fellow man, lodging can be had for free through CouchSurfing. I should note, though, that community is more of a focus than 'free traveling'. If you decide to sign up, you'll have to write a decent profile, at least a fully-formed sentence for each field, to make most hosts feel comfortable about hosting you. Pictures are good, too.

I've couchsurfed once so far, in Strasbourg, and I can say for certain that it would have been a much less exciting trip if I hadn't had a native showing me around and letting me sleep on his couch.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

RearEchelon posted:

If you're up for trusting your fellow man, lodging can be had for free through CouchSurfing. I should note, though, that community is more of a focus than 'free traveling'. If you decide to sign up, you'll have to write a decent profile, at least a fully-formed sentence for each field, to make most hosts feel comfortable about hosting you. Pictures are good, too.

I've couchsurfed once so far, in Strasbourg, and I can say for certain that it would have been a much less exciting trip if I hadn't had a native showing me around and letting me sleep on his couch.
I've used Couchsurfing and was really stoked about it when I first found out about. It makes me think someone should start a thread about it or similar services such as hospitalityclub.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Gasbuddy.com is a good resource to find lowest local gas prices if you're driving. They have an app too.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 3, 2015

TehKrond
Oct 13, 2002

France is for Gays and Damn Dirty Jews, Both of which own Hollywood
A few suggestions to the links above; i'll try to make a better list some other time, but here's a start:

OTAs: cheaptickets, expedia, hotels.com, hotwire, orbitz, priceline, and travelocity. Priceline and Hotwire are a little different due to their opaque model and a lot of people have great luck getting ridiculous deals on those sites. There are forums dedicated to bidding methods and all that. Plus, Priceline is really killing the competition among the OTA set right now.

Meta search: kayak bought sidestep and seems to be making it take a dive. Mobissimo does very cool stuff, and farecompare is another decent meta search alternative to Kayak.

Some personal favorites in the planning/group travel category: igougo, wayn, tripadvisor, tripcart, groople, imin, yapta, and there are billions more of really cool webby-type things that make group travel and planning not only simpler, but really cool.

Keep an eye out for suppliers (particularly hotel suppliers) doing cool stuff with user generated content and other weird/new things.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Here's a list of US domestic airlines and their respective hubs, focus cities, and regional feeder airlines. It has the airline's two character IATA code and I name each hub city the first time it appears in a list since some airports aren't immediately recognizable by their IATA codes. If there is desire, I can make one for the major international carriers because I am a tremendous nerd who likes airplanes too much.

US Domestic Airline Hubs:

AirTran Airways (FL):
Hubs: ATL (Atlanta), BWI (Baltimore), MCO (Orlando)

Alaska Airlines/Horizon Airlines (AS):
Hubs: SEA (Seattle), ANC (Anchorage)
Focus Cities: PDX (Portland, OR), LAX (Los Angeles), SFO (San Francisco)

Aloha Airlines (AQ):
Hubs: OGG (Kahului, HI), SNA (Orange County, CA)

American Airlines (AA):
Hubs: DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth), ORD (Chicago O'Hare), MIA (Miami), STL (St. Louis), JFK (New York City), LGA (New York City)
Focus Cities: BOS (Boston), LAX, RDU (Raleigh)
Subsidary Feeders: American Connection (serviced by Chautauqua Airlines and Trans State Airlines), American Eagle

ATA Airlines (TZ):
Hubs: MDW (Chicago Midway), HNL (Honolulu), OAK (Oakland)

Continental Airlines (CO):
Hubs: EWR (Newark, NJ), IAH (Houston Intercontinetal), CLE (Cleveland), GUM (Guam)
Subsidary Feeders: Continental Connection (serviced by Colgan Air), Continental Express (serviced by Chautauqua Airlines and ExpressJet Airlines)

Delta Airlines (DL):
Hubs: ATL, SLC (Salt Lake City), CVG (Cincinatti), JFK, LAX
Focus Cities: LGA, MCO, BOS
Subsidary Feeders: Comair, Delta Shuttle

ExpressJet Airlines (XE):
Hubs: ONT (Ontario, CA), SAT (San Antonio)
Focus Cities: AUS (Austin), SAN (San Diego)

Frontier Airlines (F9):
Hubs: DEN (Denver)
Focus Cities: CUN (Cancun, Mexico)

Hawaiian Airlines (HA):
Hubs: HNL
Focus Cities OGG

JetBlue Airways (B6):
Hubs: JFK, BOS, FLL (Fort Lauderdale), LGB (Long Beach), OAK, IAD (Washington D.C. Dulles)

Midwest Airlines (YX):
Hubs: MKE (Milwaukee), MCI (Kansas City)
Subsidary Feeders: Midwest Connect

Northwest Airlines (NW):
Hubs: DTW (Detroit), MSP (Minneapolis), MEM (Memphis), NRT (Tokyo Narita), AMS (Amsterdam Schiphol)
Focus Cities: IND (Indianapolis), HNL, SEA
Subsidary Feeders: Northwest Airlink (serviced by Compass Airlines, Pinnacle Airlines, and Mesaba Airlines)

Southwest Airlines (WN):
Hubs: BWI, MDW, DAL (Dallas Love Field), LAX, LAS (Las Vegas), OAK, MCO, PHX (Phoenix), SAN, HOU (Houston Hobby)

Spirit Airlines (NK):
Hubs: FLL, DTW

Sun Country Airlines (SY):
Hubs: MSP
Focus Cities DFW

United Airlines (UA):
Hubs: ORD, DEN, IAD, SFO, LAX
Focus Cities NRT
Subsidary Feeders: United Express (serviced by Chautauqua Airlines, Colgan Air, GoJet Airlines, Mesa Airlines, Shuttle America, SkyWest Airlines, and Trans State Airlines)

US Airways (US):
Hubs: CLT (Charlotte), PHL (Philidelphia), PHX, LAS
Focus Cities DCA (Washington D.C. Reagan), LGA, BOS, PIT (Pittsburgh)

Virgin America (VX):
Hubs: SFO

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
The boards over at Flyer Talk have an impressive array of knowledge; everything from airline specific information to dining and travel reviews.

Drohne
Dec 23, 2006
Never start no static
http://www.advrider.com/

A great forum that's very active that is centered around all things for those interested in taking a motorcycle around the world (or to the next state over). Lots of good information, great pictures and trip reports as well.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I got a couple of requests for the international version of the US Domestic hub list above. I figured what the hell, it gives me a chance to listen to Yakko Warner sing the countries of the world.

This list is done by continent/region of the world and then by country, as applicable. This is not an exhaustive list of international airlines because half of those are state-run airlines in Asia and Africa and only fools fly on state-run airlines. :nyd: It should cover most of the majors with an emphasis on those that serve North America on some level. Speaking of which, I thought about listing out the North American city the airline serves but that would take a lot of time, so suffice it to say that if any of the airlines in this list fly to North America it will very likely be at one of the following airports: LAX, SFO, JFK, EWR, ATL, IAH, ORD, SEA, BOS, IAD, or MIA.

International Airline Hubs:

Africa

EgyptAir (MS):
Hubs: CAI (Cairo)
Focus Cities: ALY (Alexandria), HRG (Hurghada), SSH (Sharm el-Sheikh), LXR (Luxor)
Code Share/Alliance: Star Alliance

South African Airways (SA):
Hubs: JNB (Johannesburg), CPT (Cape Town)

There are a veritable crapload of local airlines in Africa, most of them state-run because private industry isn't so huge there (lol diamonds). This Wikipedia article has a nice list.

Asia/Indian Subcontinent/Middle East

China Southern Airlines (CZ):
Hubs: CAN (Guangzhou), PEK (Beijing Capital)
Code Share/Alliance: SkyTeam

China Eastern (MU):
Hubs: SHA (Shanghai Hongqiao, Domestic China), PVG (Shanghai Pudong, International)

Air China (TZ):
Hubs: SHA, PVG, PEK

Eva Air (BR):
Hubs: TPE (Taipei)
Code Share/Alliance: AA, CO, AC, NH, NZ, QF, US

Cathay Pacific (CX):
Hubs: HKG (Hong Kong)
Code Share/Alliance: OneWorld

KingFisher Airlines (IT):
Hubs: BLR (Bangalore), BOM (Mumbai/Bombay), DEL (Delhi)
Note: Currently no service to North America; waiting on their A340/350/380 aircraft orders.

Air India (AI):
Hubs: BOM, DEL
Code Share/Alliance: Star Alliance (planned for 2009 entry)

El Al (LY):
Hubs: TLV (Tel Aviv)
Code Share/Alliance: AA, SA, several other European and Asian airlines

All Nippon Airways (NH):
Hubs: NRT (Tokyo Narita), HND (Tokyo Haneda), KIX (Osaka), ITM (Osaka Itami, also serving Kyoto)

Japan Airlines (JL):
Hubs: NRT, HND, KIX, ITM

Asiana Airlines (OZ):
Hubs: ICN (Seoul Incheon), GMP (Seoul Gimpo)

Korean Air (KE):
Hubs: ICN, GMP

Malaysia Airlines (MH):
Hubs: KUL (Kuala Lumpur)
Code Share/Alliance: Craploads; airlines from SkyTeam, Star Alliance, OneWorld, and a bunch of others.

Philippine Airlines (PR):
Hubs: MNL (Manila), CEB (Cebu City)
Code Share/Alliance: CX, EK, MH, QR

Qatar Airways (QR):
Hubs: DOH (Doha)
Code Share/Alliance: A bunch from all over the world, see here.

Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV):
Hubs: JED (Jeddah), RUH (Riyadh), DMM (Dammam)
Code Share/Alliance: Only airlines from Muslim countries, and Air France (the pansies).

Singapore Airlines (SQ):
Hubs: SIN (Singapore)

Thai Airways International (TG):
Hubs: BKK (Bangkok Suvarnabhumi), DMK (Bangkok Don Mueang)

Emirates Airline (EK):
Hubs: DXB (Dubai)
Code Share/Alliance: A bunch, including CO and UA (see full list here).

Central America/Caribbean

Cayman Airways (KX):
Hubs: GCM (George Town), CYB (Cayman Brac), LYB (Little Cayman)

Groupo Taca (TA):
Hubs: SAL (San Salvadore, El Salvadore), LIM (Lima, Peru), SJO (San Jose, Costa Rica), GUA (Guatemala City, Guatemala)

Air Jamaica (JM):
Hubs: MBJ (Montego Bay), KIN (Kingston), UVF (Vieux Fort, St. Lucia)
Code Share/Alliance: AC, VS

Copa Airlines (CM):
Hubs: PTY (Panama City)

Caribbean Airlines (BW):
Hubs: POS (Trinidad/Tobago)

Europe

Brussels Airlines (SN):
Hubs: BRU (Brussels)
Note: No North American service; only Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Czech Airlines (OK):
Hubs: PRG (Prague)

Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) (SK):
Hubs: CPH (Copenhagen), ARN (Stockholm), OSL (Oslo)

Estonian Air (OV):
Hubs: TLL (Tallinn)
Code Share/Alliance: SK

Finnair (AY):
Hubs: HEL (Helsinki-Vantaa)

Air France (AF):
Hubs: CDG (Paris Charles de Gaulle)

Lufthansa (LH):
Hubs: FRA (Frankfurt), MUC (Munich)

Olympic Airlines (OA):
Hubs: ATH (Athens)

Icelandair (FI):
Hubs: KEF (Reykjavík)

Aer Lingus (EI):
Hubs: DUB (Dublin), ORK (Cork), BFS (Belfast)

Ryanair (VX):
Hubs: DUB, STN (London Stansted), BGY (Milan), CIA (Rome), SNN (Shannon, Ireland), PSA (Pisa), CRL (Brussels), HHN (Frankfurt Hahn), ORK, LPL (Liverpool), PIK (Glasgow), LTN (London Luton), GRO (Girona/Costa Brava/Barcelona), NYO (Stockholm), EMA (East Midlands, UK), MAD (Madrid), MRS (Marseille), BRE (Bremen), NRN (Weeze), BRS (Bristol), VLC (Valencia), ALC (Alicante), BHD (Belfast), BOH (Bournemouth), BHX (Birmingham), REU (Reus)
SUPER HUGE OMG NOTE: Almost every single one of the airports Ryanair serves is not near the actual city the airline serves. They do this to greatly reduce the costs associated with flying into busy airports. A prime example is HHN; this airport is actually about 90 miles from the actual city of Frankfurt. Be very aware of what airport you're departing from and arriving into.

Alitalia (AZ):
Hubs: FCO (Rome)

KLM (KL):
Hubs: AMS (Amsterdam Schiphol)

TAP Portugal (TP):
Hubs: LIS (Lisbon)

Aeroflot (SU):
Hubs: SVO (Moscow)

Iberia (IB):
Hubs: MAD (Madrid)

Swiss International Air Lines (LX):
Hubs: ZRH (Zurich)

Turkish Airlines (TK):
Hubs: IST (Istanbul)
Code Share/Alliance: Star Alliance (April 1, 2008)

BMI (BD):
Hubs: LHR (London Heathrow), MAN (Manchester)

British Airways (BA):
Hubs: LHR, LGW (London Gatwick)

EasyJet (U2):
Hubs: LTN, LGW, SXF (Berlin), GVA (Geneva), EDI (Edinburgh), GLA, STN, LPL (Liverpool), NCL (Newcastle), BFS, DTM (Dortmund), EMA, BSL/MLH/EAP (Basel, Switzerland/Mulhouse, France/Freiburg, Germany), ORY (Paris Orly), MXP (Milan), BRS, MAD, CDG

Silverjet (Y7):
Hubs: LUT

Zoom Airlines (ZX):
Hubs: LGW

North America, not including the United States

Air Canada (AC):
Hubs: YYZ (Toronto Pearson), YUL (Montreal), YVR (Vancouver), YYC (Calgary)

Porter Airlines (PD):
Hubs: YTZ (Toronto City Centre)

WestJet (WS):
Hubs: YYC, YYZ

Aeromexico (AM):
Hubs: MEX (Mexico City), MTY (Monterrey)

Mexicana (MX):
Hubs: MEX, GDL (Guadalajara)

Viva Aerobus (VB):
Hubs: MTY

Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, and other sunny Pacific locales)

Qantas (QF):
Hubs: SYD (Sydney), MEL (Melbourne)

Virgin Blue (DJ):
Hubs: BNE (Brisbane), MEL, SYD

Continental Micronesia (CS):
Hubs: GUM (Guam)

Air New Zealand (NZ):
Hubs: AKL (Auckland)

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 24, 2008

CrakSt
Jan 1, 2007

Excuse me, do these effectively hide my thunder?
Just wanted to add that most hotels will pricematch orbitz, priceline, travelocity etc etc and some even give an added discount. I know Ceaser's in Vegas will match and give %25 off. It pains me to say it but fatwallet has a thread all about it.

Ret
Sep 17, 2004

Some of the best travel maps and guides for Amsterdam Bacelona Berlin BUdapest Krakow Prague Riga Vinius Wien with perhaps more coming this spring.

http://www.cityspy.info/

http://www.euro26.org - Discount card for anyone under 26. "Over 100,000 discounts 4 million card holders". Costs 14 euro if outside of the EU otherwise you can get them in specific countries. For example in Austria I got a vorteilskarte which includes the Euro<26 logo and gives half price on all train fares, regional, local etc.

Added Bonus: I like to use it as my proof of age (although it is far from an official ID card, and more then one bouncer has snickered when seeing it it's worked better than my drivers license) so if you don't want to take your drivers license or heaven forbid passport with you partying it could also be useful.

I never went to the webpage before... but I think I'll start using it to see easily what kind of deals can be had in each city. Anyway if anyone is interested apparently anyone can order them for 14 euro

Top Ten Discounts choose a country and it lists the supposed top ten best deals.
Outside of Europe order it here eg

quote:

Austrian Railways ÖBB
up to 50% discount on railway travels with combined EURO<26/ÖBB VORTEILScard<26 available at any Austrian train station for EUR 19,90 (please bring photograph and ID for proof of age).
Special summer ticket valid for all trains in Austria from June 30 to September 8, 2007 can be purchased at railway stations in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia and Slovenia. 
Price for EURO<26 cardholders aged 15-19: EUR 19,-, for cardholders aged 20-26: EUR 49,- - or for travellers in Austria to be bought together with EURO<26/ÖBB VORTEILScard<26 at any Austrian railway station

quote:

Apple store (Bad example probably because the prices in euros are probably the same in USD)
10% discount on Apple hardware* and up to
60% discount on Apple software
* no discount on iPods.

quote:

Budget Rent A Car is another international car-rental network. In Finland, Budget has suppliers in 18 cities; in most of the cities there is more than one supplier. Budget gives 15-20 percent discount for a valid EURO<26 card-owner. The person paying may be different than the person driving, however, the minimum age for rental is 18 years. To make your reservation or ask for further information, please, visit the website at www.budget.fi

quote:

SUBWAY is an international fast-food restaurant chain specialized on sandwiches. SUBWAY has restaurants in 16 cities of Finland. A valid EURO<26 card-holder gets 10 percent discount on all the products and dishes at SUBWAY restaurants in Finland. For further information about restaurants, please, visit the website at www.subway.fi

quote:

The Hostelling International Finland chain (Suomen Retkeilumajajärjestö ry, SRM) has 82 member hostels in different parts of Finland. The members of the chain offer EUR2,5 discount on normal price per night for holder of a valid EURO<26 card. To find out more about the places and hostel information, please, visit the website at www.srmnet.org

quote:

Estonia
Rakvere Theatre
Theatre house which was opened in 1940 and has during the years brought to the stage many plays from Estonian authors and different dramas, comedies and plays for children. With EURO<26 card you can get 30% off from the ticket price (except special offers). www.rakvereteater.ee

Ret fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 31, 2008

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
University/college travellers should consider travelcuts.com - it'll give you student prices for airline tickets. Just make sure you have a valid ISIC card as you might need it to verify your student status.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Just to point out that skyscanner.net covered scheduled flights too, and has a worldwide flight page at:

http://www.skyscanner.net/worldwide.asp

(And the big list of airlines we cover is at http://www.skyscanner.net/airlines-all.html)

Leonard Pine
Apr 20, 2008

I have gotten incredible mileage out of bahn - it basically tells you every time-table for trains in Europe.

Standard Toaster
Sep 13, 2007
"Nothing says I love you like a deformed fetus."
http://itasoftware.com/ has been amazing to me since I discovered it. The best site I've used to find cheap flights. Though it should be noted that you can't book directly from the site.

Standard Toaster fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 29, 2008

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've found ExpertFlyer to be very useful when searching for FF/award tickets. It was recommended on FlyerTalk. A lot of the airlines intentionally make it difficult to search for award flights and this is an independent search that's much more flexible. Like 7 day ranges instead of single day. Things like that.

It's not free ($10/month), but compared to the cost of the tickets, I think it's worth it to sign up when you need it.

http://www.expertflyer.com/

bakersk8r6301
Mar 24, 2008
Support a fellow Goon! Visit my Travel Website at

https://www.iworldtravel.net

We offer very competitive deals on cruises, world tours, cruises, weekend getaways, sporting events, concerts, and more!

Check out the site, and let me know what you guys think!

OP, could you please add this to your list of Online Travel Resources? I would greatly appreciate it!

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
Just a note about Kayak, because I know it's heavily used. As of this fall, American Airlines will no longer allow them to display search results from AA.com.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Need couchsurfing in the OP

Why isn't travbuddy mentioned? Reviews about places to go/see. Profiles to find people in your area or traveling at the same time as you, etc.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005
I didn't see anything about currency or exchanging money when traveling in the OP, and I just wanted to remind folks, DON'T USE TRAVELER'S CHEQUES! Credit/Debit/ATM is totally the way to go. I used a AAA Visa Travel Money Card when I spent a month backpacking in Europe this past May and it was fantastic, not only was it accepted everywhere, and with a great exchange rate, but the card is insured by AAA. I would recommend it to anyone who is traveling and needs to swap currency.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

I didn't see it mentioned, but I have always found the BEST international (and even some great domestic) airline deals through http://www.studentuniverse.com

aquasoho
Oct 22, 2008
Travel Zoo is a great site that complies the top deals from other travel sites. I've used them several times for both domestic and international travel and have had great success. Hope this helps!

http://www.travelzoo.com/

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
When using a foreign ATM with an American debit card, there might be the option for you to be billed in Euros (for example) or in Dollars. Choose Euros. I always got almost exactly what xe.com said the exchange rate for the day was when I did that and charged more when I didn't. (Sorry I can't remember the exact wording of the option screen, but when I lived in Spain I always had a yes/no option as to how I wanted to take out Euros from my Dollar American account, one being cheaper than the other in the end).

Also, http://www.seatguru.com for when you book your flights. Make sure the seat you're getting isn't a bad one.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Can we add a Walt Disney World Megathread? Or has that been done?

tawxic
Jun 17, 2005

Growth

TehKrond posted:

and farecompare is another decent meta search alternative to Kayak.

Seconded, farecompare.com is pretty nice. I generally stop there first if I know I want to go somewhere, but don't know when, then hop over to Kayak.

On a related note, if you want to use kayak via iPhone (including the calendar view we all love) I made a free iPhone app that was just released to the appstore last night. It's called Airfare and can be had here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306788095&mt=8

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
https://www.lastminute.com is cool because it adds flight and hotel fare in the search. Pretty cheap fares too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to put this in here because it's coming up pretty frequently right now:

HOW DO I MOVE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY AND WORK / LIVE THERE?

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are generally two ways to move to a new country permanently.*

The first is to get married to a citizen (or sometimes a naturalized resident) of that country. After you get married you then go through a paperwork process typically taking between three to six months and costing about 1500 bucks and receive a permanent residence visa of one sort or another. This visa also allows you to work legally in most countries (in some you need a separate work permit, usually it can be applied for concurrently with your visa, sometimes you have to get the visa then apply for the permit). In most countries your visa stays good as long as you're still married and becomes irrevocable (barring felonies or other misconduct on your part) after about five years even if you get divorced (or sometimes if you get divorced because of abuse or sudden death or something like that).

The second is to receive an offer of employment from a business in that country. Often times employers need to demonstrate that they have to hire you instead of a citizen for one reason or another. There are frequently also generalized restrictions about importing only "skilled" labor (this usually shakes out to mean people with college degrees). In many countries, including the US, there are also queues for work visas that are organized by country, so if you happen to be in the India line because you're from India you might have to wait years before a visa becomes available to you thanks to the bazillion people ahead of you in the line, whereas someone from Guyana might have a shorter wait. Many western European countries have a points system where you get points for things like speaking the native language, having lived in that country before, being rich, etc etc and if you get enough points (on either a sliding-per-year or arbitrarily fixed scale) you get your visa and if you don't you don't. Note that generally if you receive the offer of work while in country you have to leave the country to change your visa from whatever it was to a work visa, and then re-enter on your work visa and start work. The rapidity at which you get a visa and can immigrate also tends to depend massively on what job you're skilled at and what jobs need workers in the country of destination -- nursing and engineering for example are generally in demand while menial labor is not.

The process is fairly complicated and protracted no matter where you go and without a genuine desire to move to Country X for a specific reason people from first world countries rarely find it worthwhile to move to another first world country permanently simply because they do better to stay at home even through rough spots. One other tricky issue is bringing a spouse or kids -- sometimes the valuable person has to go overseas and establish themselves, sometimes even become a citizen, before they can start bringing relatives in -- sometimes they come with you as a package deal. Anyway, if you're serious about doing it you should usually talk to an immigration lawyer before you go (preferably one who lives in the country you want to move to) as there are frequently legal snags you can run into that can gyp you out of your visa if you go about things clumsily.

Disclaimer: It may be somewhat easier for you to move to Your Desired Country than I'm making out here. It may be somewhat tougher. Specific info can obviously be rather important for this situation. It is at this point that I waive the universal Goon White Flag of Go Talk to a (Immigration) Lawyer and/or suggest Googling for "Desired Country Immigration Forums" to pick something else up. (And who knows, maybe someone who has done this will stop by and help you out if you post a thread.)

*There are two other common ways in, but both of these basically amount to "being rich." First is an investment visa, where you start a local business, usually employ six or more local people or invest a million or so dollars, and get a visa because of it. Second is a retirement visa typically only offered by places like Thailand where the local cost of living is quite low -- to get one of those you have to be over a certain age and have a certain amount of money in a local bank account, typically around 250k bucks sometimes with and sometimes without additional evidence of a retirement income.

**[Edit: One other bonus way is to finagle yourself a foreign passport at which point you could operate in that country (or in any EU country if the passport is from an EU member state) exactly as though you were a born and raised citizen of that country. See the post below this one for an example -- typically you do this by having a British dad or two German grandpas or you were actually born in Newcastle but grew up in the US or something like that.]

***[Edit 2: In countries with points-based systems like Canada you can sometimes get a work visa even without a job offer so long as you can rack up enough points on the application. You get points for having experience in an in-demand job field (nursing, engineering and energy sector work are usually the big three) for having studied in Canada before, for speaking English (or French) pretty well, for being educated, etc, so it's possible that a schlub with a BA from Kansas would have an easier time getting in to Canada than a really eager professor from Malaysia. The US does not have a points-based system.]

The above applies mostly for first world to first world moves. Teaching English overseas is a different situation, and things are usually easier to do with that than as describe above, but then that can't really be considered permanently moving overseas as you'll usually get kicked out pretty much the minute you don't have a job.

Here's a thread about moving from Australia to the USA via marriage to a citizen. Here's a good immigration forum for moving to the US in general.

Here's a thread about moving to the UK, guvnah.

Here's a thread about moving from the USA to Australia. Also this is supposed to be the Oz megathread.

Here's a thread about moving from Australia to Canada.

Here's a mess of a thread about moving to New Zealand.

BTW I really wish everyone who wants to do this the best of luck, sorry if my post is mostly a downer for you, but if it's something you really want it can be done. Rumor has it you can get a husband in Queens these days for about 10,000 bucks :keke: (ps: don't do that it makes it harder for legitimate couples to get their visas processed).

[This post made December 8th, 2009. If the links are dead either buy archives or start a new thread.]

raton fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 16, 2010

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
Also, if you meet the criteria, you can get Italian citizenship through their ancestry laws. Information is here: http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/

When I save up some more money, I am going to be doing this since I qualify through my great-grandfather.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

John Adams posted:

Also, if you meet the criteria, you can get Italian citizenship through their ancestry laws. Information is here: http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/

When I save up some more money, I am going to be doing this since I qualify through my great-grandfather.

Many people in the US also end up getting British or German citizenship through their legal loopholes as well. Possibly other countries, but those are, I think, the big three for that route.

Note that this kind of passport chicanery is generally considered the easiest way for a US citizen to get decent English teaching work in western Europe. That or working under the table or going through a government run cultural exchange type program (Spain has one).

raton fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 9, 2009

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Is there a better site than seatguru that keeps track of which airlines/flights/planes have wifi available on board? Especially transoceanic flights?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

politicorific posted:

Is there a better site than seatguru that keeps track of which airlines/flights/planes have wifi available on board? Especially transoceanic flights?

Generally, no. The issue is that no airline has rolled out in-flight WiFi on its entire fleet, usually picking a subfleet or particular aircraft type to do what is essentially a public beta on the service. Moreover, most of the systems in question are ground-based or satellites with domestic US footprints, so service is not available on international segments. That will change and get better as time progresses but it just isn't that widely available when compared to the number of flights available on a given day.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Many people in the US also end up getting British or German citizenship through their legal loopholes as well. Possibly other countries, but those are, I think, the big three for that route.

Even a single grandparent born in Ireland will get you Irish citizenship.

I think I bring that up a lot in this forum, but it still blows my mind that I'm a citizen of a country I've never been to.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Couldn't really find a better thread to ask this question. Is $1200 (after fees and trip insurance) about standard for a roundtrip ticket from the US to Europe (Barcelona, specfically) during the Summer? Should I be holding out for better deals?

edit: I found the flight using Vayama

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 25, 2010

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Vernacular posted:

Couldn't really find a better thread to ask this question. Is $1200 (after fees and trip insurance) about standard for a roundtrip ticket from the US to Europe (Barcelona, specfically) during the Summer? Should I be holding out for better deals?

edit: I found the flight using Vayama

That's pretty par, but depends greatly on where in the US you're departing from and when, specifically, you're going. If you can provide those parameters I'll take a look at what's around and see what I can find.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Mackieman posted:

That's pretty par, but depends greatly on where in the US you're departing from and when, specifically, you're going. If you can provide those parameters I'll take a look at what's around and see what I can find.

The plan is to depart from LAX on June 17th (this date is firm), preferably at night (this date is flexible if the price is right), and return 5-6 weeks later, ideally in the July 25-29 range. Thanks for the help!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Vernacular posted:

The plan is to depart from LAX on June 17th (this date is firm), preferably at night (this date is flexible if the price is right), and return 5-6 weeks later, ideally in the July 25-29 range. Thanks for the help!

Yeah, you're traveling at the absolute peak of European travel season so there are no cheaper fares. Were you to go in, say, November, it would be a whole other story.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
There was a website I found last year where you put in your departure city and then you can choose general arrival locations like "Europe" or "France" or "Worldwide" and so forth, tell it the time span you could go, and it would search through and list flights in cheapest order to many cities/locations. It was a simple looking website with a white background.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Ziir posted:

There was a website I found last year where you put in your departure city and then you can choose general arrival locations like "Europe" or "France" or "Worldwide" and so forth, tell it the time span you could go, and it would search through and list flights in cheapest order to many cities/locations. It was a simple looking website with a white background.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm thinking ITA Software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Mackieman posted:

I'm thinking ITA Software?

That's not it but I'll check it out later. The one I'm talking about had more AJAX and their site was somewhat pleasing to look at.