Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If you can read this flip this thread over:

Jeeps. They are cute, they are tough, and they have been everywhere from battlefronts to driveway.

The jeep legacy started in World War 2, but the name goes back to World War 1, Jeep was a term often used to describe new recruits or unproven vehicles.

The first Jeep was actually not from Willys, commonly associated with the Jeep due to their mass production of them during the war, but by Bantam as the Bantam BRC.

Bantam BRC

It was a wonderful vehicle, but Bantam did not have the ability to mass produce, so Willys Overland and Ford were encouraged to design their own pilot vehicles based on the Bantam BRC

Willys eventually won the contract with their finalized design, the Willys MB. Willys won due to their very dependable and powerful 4 Cylinder Go Devil engine, which served admirably in the war

Willys MB produced by Ford

After the war, excess Jeeps were sold to the public, and had a strong following.

Next after the Willys MB came the CJ series, starting with the CJ2 (Civilian Jeep Model 2)

CJ2A

The CJ series was produced all the way through into the late 70's with the last produced being the CJ7

CJ7 with Mudding Tires
Following beside the CJ Series came the FSJ series or Full Size Jeep, a station wagon meets a jeep sort of mix

Jeep FSJ 1978
Also followed by the pickup version of the FSJ

Jeep under AMC soon followed up with the Cherokee XJ in 1984, the first unibody Jeep product.

This was followed by the Jeep Commanche

Jeep Commanche Pickup

And then the Wrangler, designed off of the CJ body and one of the most popular models of Jeeps

Jeep Wrangler

All in all, Jeep has been one of the biggest names associated with off roading and the American Military.

Talk about Jeeps, Peeps!

EDIT: Sorry, FSJ :P

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 29, 2010

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Honk Honk

It's rusty and rugged and I love it. It's actually a bit of a factory freak since the rear end sits about 2" higher than it is supposed to. So I got some ZJ coils for $25 that should lift the front a bit to take about an inch of forward rake off. I just need to go get some shocks for it, hopefully I will have time to get it all put on this weekend.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
That is some character-granting rust right there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I am currently working on acquiring a 1985 AMC Cherokee with 5 speed :hellyeah:

mrskeezix
Feb 18, 2003

I have seen the future
Edit: Great job, waffleimages.

mrskeezix fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 15, 2008

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

Aran posted:

That is some character-granting rust right there.

I literally have birds nests in the rust holes in my Jeep. :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grzydj posted:

I literally have birds nests in the rust holes in my Jeep. :3:

You are just giving back to nature :)

mrskeezix
Feb 18, 2003

I have seen the future
Here's mine. After 144k still tows great and despite my banged-up skidplates loves a romp off-road.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Jeep never made an FJ. I own an FJ, and it's not a jeep. The term you're looking for for the full size jeeps is SJ.

The CJ was sold through 1988, not just the 1970's.

Edit: Why do I seem to know more about jeeps than most jeep people? :cry:

I think it's because I'm sick of telling people "It's not a goddamn jeep!" and then having to explain the differences.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 15, 2008

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hay guys, what's going on in this thread?

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Maybe you should consider some feminine hygiene products.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

Jeep never made an FJ. I own an FJ, and it's not a jeep. The term you're looking for for the full size jeeps is SJ.

The CJ was sold through 1988, not just the 1970's.

Edit: Why do I seem to know more about jeeps than most jeep people? :cry:

I think it's because I'm sick of telling people "It's not a goddamn jeep!" and then having to explain the differences.

Fixored. Sorry, I mislabeled that, and I do know the difference between a Toyota FJ, Suzuki Samurai and Geo Tracker :D

I actually have seen a 1984 Cherokee Chief that was an XJ body but had an SJ ID. Funny.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I actually have seen a 1984 Cherokee Chief that was an XJ body but had an SJ ID. Funny.

Methinks someone was trying to get around smog tests ;)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

Methinks someone was trying to get around smog tests ;)

This was the sticker in the engine bay, placed in there during manufacturing.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Are you sure about that?

With enough time, you'd be amazed how much of the factory identification can be moved from one vehicle to another. I know of several mid-90's vehicles running around with pre-smog VINs. Also a couple imported vehicles running USDM VINs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

Are you sure about that?

With enough time, you'd be amazed how much of the factory identification can be moved from one vehicle to another. I know of several mid-90's vehicles running around with pre-smog VINs. Also a couple imported vehicles running USDM VINs.

Positive, it looks original, I don't know how you would remove it because its one of those segmented stickers that will tear if you remove it.
Also, it matches the engine in the car, so I can assume its correct

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Roger Daltrey posted:

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

OH GOD HOW DID A ZJ GET THROUGH THE JPEG COMPRESSION

I wish I could go back in time and keep this five-speed '00 XJ instead of the ugly-rear end white one I'm stuck with now.

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 15, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Curse you ZJs! I defy you! You and your cruddy curved surfaces! Bring back my boxy jeep!

:rant:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

OP, why can't anyone spell Comanche right? When I am searching for parts on ebay I have to spell the name of my truck wrong to get any search results. No one on the internet can resist putting two "M"s in there.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
How do i putted jeeps back together?

mrskeezix
Feb 18, 2003

I have seen the future

CommieGIR posted:

Curse you ZJs! I defy you! You and your cruddy curved surfaces! Bring back my boxy jeep!

We're still kinda boxy :(

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
YJs started in 1987. TJs in 97 and JKs in 07.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. FSJs and XJs never shared engines, so I don't see why they would be confused. What did the sticker have on it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tonedef131 posted:

OP, why can't anyone spell Comanche right? When I am searching for parts on ebay I have to spell the name of my truck wrong to get any search results. No one on the internet can resist putting two "M"s in there.
Must be a bitch when you need to do work on you're breaks. :v:

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Jeeps are awesome.. here is my daily driver 98 XJ with 187K miles on it still running like a champ

and after a little romp in the mud

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
In 2 year im done paying my car i am looking foward a JEEP wrangler type. Please i want more info about the best and personnal input and suggestion. I live in a place where there tons of snow and im tired that my little civic is plowing the drat white crap.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
My family has quite literally owned dozens of Jeeps over the years, my dad alone owning multiple generations of CJs (one of which John Wayne himself owned and used in the movie Hatari as a backup Jeep) as well as a Comanche which he is not shy about admitting is the best vehicle he has ever owned, above all the Porsches, Mopar muscle and Jaguars he owned in his younger years.

My family has relied on Jeeps to save their lives in accidents, to get home (used to live on Mt. Baldy; in winter, a Jeep was the only way up or down) and to have fun.

Jeeps are an integral part of my family and hopefully they continue to be for many generations. Of course, I'm the newest generation of my family to own a Jeep and I'm proud to carry on the tradition. :patriot:

98' Wrangler; 4.0L I6, 5-speed manual, D44 rear and all the other good stuff you could get. As I've said before, this thing can make just driving to the store seem like a huge adventure.

Edit: Finally added picture

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 16, 2008

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

The King of Swag posted:

Jeeps are an integral part of my family and hopefully they continue to be for many generations. Of course, I'm the newest generation of my family to own a Jeep (I'll post a picture up later) and I'm proud to carry on the tradition. :patriot:
Likewise - after returning from the Philippines in 1945, my grandfather bought a civvie Jeep at the earliest opportunity and continued trading in for a new one at 40,000 miles. We think he owned probably 6-7 Cherokees between 1987 and his death in 2004 - all white Sports with a grey interior, 4.0/manual, and Command-Trac, and all sold back with scarred skidplates. One was driven from Guatemala to Alaska and back, towing a vaporlocked 17,000lb Coachman into through the Rockies ( :wtf: ), another driving across Northern Africa. His last, a 2001, was an automatic bought on his 89th birthday. He wanted to own just one red Cherokee after that, but the KJ was released and he just wouldn't accept that.

I can think of nine other Cherokees owned among the generations after his. Crazy old man and his goddamn Jeeps.

Johnsmithindustries
Oct 14, 2005
I wanna be an astronaut
Uh, what about Jeepsters, Jeepster Commandos and Commandos?

They made a variant of that model for 23 years, seems like it'd be worth mentioning.

I demand recognition for the ugly duckling of the Jeep Family:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
My Company KK for use as my DD

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I'm gonna say that to own and KEEP an older Jeep you have to have some sort of sickness. You overlook all the bad and you love that goddamn thing more than any other single thing on Earth.

They ride terrible, they are sometimes cranky or down right temperamental, you always wind up spending way more money than you should, but there are the days, those glorious goddamn days when that loving Jeep makes you smile more than the best and most drugs you could possibly take.

Driving through mudholes like they aren't even there, climbing over things, getting the gently caress beat out you as you drive over paths that can't really be called trails. Then when it's all done you might hose it off but you love each and every ding, scratch, dent, and gash.

Or for the Jeeps that can, blowing down the road with the top and doors off is just pure loving goddamn sex.

Sure newer Jeeps are similar but those of us that keep the older Jeeps understand, and it just simply can not be truly explained or described.

I say this because many people see Jeeps and SEE the fun and think they might like to be a part of that, but then they find out the true nature of the beast and decide it really isn't for them.

I am addicted, and I will be buried in mine.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."
Those are some nice XJ's, but there's not nearly enough Wrangler love in this thread. Here's a shot of my '06 TJ a couple weekends ago at Rausch Creek in PA. View the whole gallery of photos of the ride (as well as a ride I went on at Paragon AP (also in PA) last March) here. Also, you can view a compilation of videos/images from the Rausch Creek ride here. Please forgive the crappy music (it's not my video).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

323LX fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 16, 2008

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Where is your Hi-Lift mounted exactly? That's not bolted to the hood is it? :psyduck:

Johnsmithindustries
Oct 14, 2005
I wanna be an astronaut

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm gonna say that to own and KEEP an older Jeep you have to have some sort of sickness. You overlook all the bad and you love that goddamn thing more than any other single thing on Earth.

They ride terrible, they are sometimes cranky or down right temperamental, you always wind up spending way more money than you should, but there are the days, those glorious goddamn days when that loving Jeep makes you smile more than the best and most drugs you could possibly take.

Haha, YES.

Why the hell would I dump nearly all my money and a significant portion of my free time the last 6 years restoring then dieseling an old Jeep that is uncomfortable, problematic, ugly, loud, slow, too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer?

For that one time I drove into the summer sunset on a winding country road with the top off and the wind in my hair. I will never forget it.

Johnsmithindustries fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 16, 2008

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

epix posted:

and after a little romp in the mud

Kudos for making it impossible to tell what color it was. I read the caption as "before I painted it bright red."

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Meep Meep!!!
My first car was a 52 Willys M38. I've still got it, I just live 5000 miles from my parents house where it is stored. I did a total restoration between 1999-2002. These are the only pics I have of it online right now, taken somewhere in mid-restoration. The M38 was basically a military version of the CJ3A. It has lots of funky changes like dual battery boxes, lifting rings, uprated springs and axles and a host of other little stuff.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
06 LJ here (yes, not an official designation, I know) and trying to decide if March 1 is too soon to take the soft top off and go back to the safari.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Willys eventually won the contract with their finalized design, the Willys MB. Willys won due to their very dependable and powerful 4 Cylinder Go Devil engine, which served admirably in the war

Willys MB produced by Ford

If it was produced by Ford, it's a GPW, not an MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Here we go:

98' Wrangler checking in; 4.0L I6, 5-speed manual, D44 rear and all the other good stuff you could get. As I've said before, this thing can make just driving to the store seem like a huge adventure. That is what is so great about Jeeps.