Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

gravypig posted:

Here are a few pics from my brothers last wheeling trip. He went to Crozet in Virginia with some of the guys in the club.
drat, that's really close to me. Too bad my Jeep would cry at the sight of those rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Engines I'm looking at:

Chevy V-6 6.2l Diesel
Chevy V-6 6.5l Diesel
Those two might be hard to source. I'd consider trying to find the V-8 versions...

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

CommieGIR posted:

I'll try to take some pictures of my 1985 Cherokee Laredo when I get home.

Picked it up for $1000 and its in awesome condition for its age, but the V-6 in it it shortly going to be replaced, right now its just a debate of what engine to use:

Engines I'm looking at:

Chevy V-6 6.2l Diesel
Chevy V-6 6.5l Diesel
Mazda RF I4 2.0 Diesel
VW 1.8 I4 Diesel

Choices choices.....and crossposting in my own thread! :(

Cummins 4BT, NV4500 transmission, end of story.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

gravypig posted:

Here are a few pics from my brothers last wheeling trip. He went to Crozet in Virginia with some of the guys in the club. His is the blue Toyota.

Not to nitpick, but you know this is a Jeep thread, right?

TheSwift.CC
May 8, 2003

Guess?
My dad has a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L I6. He recently bought a new, more fuel efficient car and now the poor thing sits forlorn on the street in its Dust Gold glory.

What can be done to keep it from an untimely death by disuse? I went to start it after about 2 weeks of sitting and it gave a disconcerting puff of smoke on startup, and it just feels a little weaker power after about 3-4 months of light use.

I know we ALL know how reliable Jeeps are, but no joke in 12 years of ownership and 162k miles we have not had a single issue with the car. Just regular maintenance and tires. I recommend a 4.0L Jeep to ANYONE who asks me for a dead-reliable vehicle...screw gas mileage, gimme a JEEP!

TheSwift.CC fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 4, 2008

gravypig
Dec 31, 2004

Hooker Pig says "Gravy please."

ZippySLC posted:

Not to nitpick, but you know this is a Jeep thread, right?

Whoops! I can get a bit scatterbrained. Maybe this will make up for it?

Brothers bone stock XJ at Uwharrie on Goodyear Wrangler HP tires. I want to say this is before you get to Kodak Rock.

Crackers Neck

Possibly Crackers Neck also

Every time it came back from the trail he cleaned it like this. He got tired of worrying about messing up the XJ so he sold it and built the Yota.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pix, but here is some urban wheeling.

This is a 1966 CJ5 4 cyl we bought for parts. I've got a '68, and he has a 1950s(no vin, so we aren't sure the exact year) M38-A1 he is building.

Ah.... poor little fella got his grill knocked out.

The Hurricane F-head

The mice chewed the heck out of this radiator hose. It only had some small areas around the hose clamp that still had the outer layer of rubber.

I also particularly like the helper coils that are only on the drivers side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

Cummins 4BT, NV4500 transmission, end of story.

BUT I am keeping the AX15 Manual tranny I have, using an adapter plate or getting a new bellhousing

BatoLoco
Jun 30, 2005
LocoBato

CommieGIR posted:

Chevy V-6 6.2l Diesel
Chevy V-6 6.5l Diesel

Both of these engines are Inline, not V. The ax-15 will not hold up too either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BatoLoco posted:

Both of these engines are Inline, not V. The ax-15 will not hold up too either.

Go check the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

CommieGIR posted:

Go check the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine

You wrote that they were V-6 and they're actually V-8 so you're both kind of wrong.

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch

XenoWolf posted:

Ahh, I miss my old 85 and 99 XJs - I sold my last XJ to buy a Mazda 3... Curse you gas-mileage-temptations! Curse you and your fuel economy ways! :argh:

No matter, I'm going to go shopping for a JK once Uncle Sam sends me my refund.

Woot! Thank you IRS for my monies - I'm heading out Friday to go shopping.

I'm looking at a 4DR Wrangler X with these options:

23S - 6 Speed S Pkg.
PGJ - Jeep Green Metallic Clear Coat
AJP - Power Convenience Group
AEM - Dual Top Group
DSH - Tru-Lok(R) Electronic Locking Rear Differential
SHG - Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect
DME - 3.73 Axle Ratio

Any of these a bad idea, or not worth getting? Anything I should look at instead?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

renraku posted:

You wrote that they were V-6 and they're actually V-8 so you're both kind of wrong.

Yes, I fixed that too...

I am guilty :(

In the end, I'm going with the VW engine anyways.

So it will become a Veep!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 4, 2008

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

XenoWolf posted:

Woot! Thank you IRS for my monies - I'm heading out Friday to go shopping.

I'm looking at a 4DR Wrangler X with these options:

23S - 6 Speed S Pkg.
PGJ - Jeep Green Metallic Clear Coat
AJP - Power Convenience Group
AEM - Dual Top Group
DSH - Tru-Lok(R) Electronic Locking Rear Differential
SHG - Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect
DME - 3.73 Axle Ratio

Any of these a bad idea, or not worth getting? Anything I should look at instead?

I was under the impression that the diff lock and swaybar disconnect was no longer available on '08 X's. Are you looking at used '07's?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

BUT I am keeping the AX15 Manual tranny I have, using an adapter plate or getting a new bellhousing

The AX-15 is known to hold up to V8 power, but the 4bt might kill it real quick. Why don't you just build a 4.7 Stroker?

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch

ZippySLC posted:

I was under the impression that the diff lock and swaybar disconnect was no longer available on '08 X's. Are you looking at used '07's?

No, this is using the configurator on jeep.com... If that's indeed the case, I'll probably opt for the LSD instead, though that's a much less desirable option for me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

The AX-15 is known to hold up to V8 power, but the 4bt might kill it real quick. Why don't you just build a 4.7 Stroker?

Hence why I am going with the VW Diesel, its closer to the original V-6 I have and has slightly higher torque (not enough to do damage though)

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Ok, finally got pics of the birds nest living in my Jeep.

It's been sitting in a snowbank for a while now since the starter went bad. The solenoid could be one of three, one of which is a Mitsubishi solenoid.

For the paltry sum of $400.00 I can now too say it's a Jeep thing. :haw:

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Hence why I am going with the VW Diesel, its closer to the original V-6 I have and has slightly higher torque (not enough to do damage though)

VW Diesels are cool in Suzukis, but I'd rather keep my 4.0 which stomps the VW diesel in power and has just as much torque. Why not put in a Camaro 3.4 V6? It'll bolt right in where the once fearsome 2.8 was.

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch
Oh hey guys!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Click for big.

Sandusky Ohio here. Got slammed for two days by that big storm, over a foot of snow with drifts 2 or 3 times as high as that. The Jeep was the only thing out of our whole complex that wasnt stuck and was able to deal with the bitch that is mother nature. She never got stuck once and as a reward shes getting a 4 - 6 inch lift with some long arms, and some bigger meats this summer. Cant wait :killdozer:

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

KickStand posted:

Sandusky Ohio here. Got slammed for two days by that big storm, over a foot of snow with drifts 2 or 3 times as high as that.

That looks miserable. How do you people live like that?!? I'd sell a kidney to move somewhere warm if I lived somewhere that happened...

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma

miklm posted:

That looks miserable. How do you people live like that?!? I'd sell a kidney to move somewhere warm if I lived somewhere that happened...

I get pissed now that I live in Boston and it doesn't snow enough. If you grew up with it, it's normal.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

miklm posted:

You're crazy. I love this weather.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

miklm posted:

You haven't lived until you've driven through snow deep enough to come up over your hood and onto your windshield. :colbert:

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

miklm posted:

Its really not too bad, we get one or two big storms a year, this was the big one this year. Its actually a ton of fun, especially in the Jeep. Cant wait till next winter after I get her jacked up a bit, ill be climbin the snow mounds that the plows leave behind :rock:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

KickStand posted:

Click for big.

How's your blend doors and blower motor resistor pack?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

ZippySLC posted:

How's your blend doors and blower motor resistor pack?

Still running strong as of right now, although ill probably jinx it by posting this. Im not too worried about when they do go they are both pretty easy fixes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does anyone know of a decent rear spare tire carrier for Cherokees that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars?

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

leica posted:

Does anyone know of a decent rear spare tire carrier for Cherokees that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars?

HOMEMADE! Do it and post the results.

Oh, and I took the carpet out of my JK yesterday so now it feels more like my CJ7 from way back. Only this time it wasn't because it was filled with mud....I spilled Chinese food :(

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

KickStand posted:

Still running strong as of right now, although ill probably jinx it by posting this. Im not too worried about when they do go they are both pretty easy fixes.

After 8 hours of ripping the dash out, yes. :)

My blend doors broke 3x and somehow magically fixed themselves each time. My blower module melted so bad that I couldn't get the molex connector out.

My WJ was the worst Jeep I've ever owned. :(

XenoWolf
Apr 26, 2003
Mr. Sotch

ZippySLC posted:

After 8 hours of ripping the dash out, yes. :)

My blend doors broke 3x and somehow magically fixed themselves each time. My blower module melted so bad that I couldn't get the molex connector out.

My WJ was the worst Jeep I've ever owned. :(

I remember all those WJ issues when they first started - I used to work at a dealership in the parts dept. This is exactly why I went ahead with the lifetime bumper-to-bumper when I bought the JK - you never know what failure prone part got sourced by Chrysler... :/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

VW Diesels are cool in Suzukis, but I'd rather keep my 4.0 which stomps the VW diesel in power and has just as much torque. Why not put in a Camaro 3.4 V6? It'll bolt right in where the once fearsome 2.8 was.

I do not want gas anymore :( I've had it with gas engines.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Viking Blood posted:

HOMEMADE! Do it and post the results.

Don't tempt me, my wife will kill me if I don't finish work on the house. No Jeep projects for awhile. :(

This one is cool but it costs over a grand for the carrier+bumper.

There's got to be something similar for less, it's just welded square steel stock for Christ's sake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

Don't tempt me, my wife will kill me if I don't finish work on the house. No Jeep projects for awhile. :(

There's got to be something similar for less, it's just welded square steel stock for Christ's sake.

My 85 Cherokee Laredo has the swing out spare holder

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Aran posted:

My 00's only problem is, as my OBDII scanner tells me "MISFIRE CYLINDER 01/06" with 18xk miles on it

Sounds like a bad plug wire. My 99 did the same thing after I replaced the wires. Turns out, one of the new ones was bad. Replaced it and the code went away.

On another note, my financial situation is nearly to the point of getting me my brand new Ruby. Has anyone had any experience with custom ordering a vehicle from the dealer? I've been looking and no one around me has a 2 door Ruby with the options I want. I'd rather not settle for something that's less than perfect for me since I plan on keeping the Jeep for a long time.

Anyway, do dealers still make deals if you're ordering from the factory? How long does it take?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

leica posted:

You could try to find a factory tire carrier at a junkyard, but they're not very strong, and hard to find. Check out Rugged Ridge, they should have one for not too much, but it won't be anywhere near the quality of a Warn bumper.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
If someone thinks this warrants its own thread then I will move it...

I finally have the money to replace the shocks on my '94 Wrangler. Any advice on what to get?
I'd like not to spend much more than about $300 for all four. I have no lift kit or any other mods that would affect the suspension. I like to do light trail riding when I can (Speaking of which, does anyone know somewhere good to go in North GA for real beginners?).

I have never bought shocks before in my life so treat me as the newbie that I am.

easyjo
Nov 4, 2004

fleeee!
I was looking at getting a wrangler and it seems I could get a used softtop with about 30k miles for a good price. Any ideas how much a hardtop would cost.. would dealers provide them? (UK)

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
How do I know for sure what kind of starter solenoid my Jeep needs for sure? The guy at the auto parts store thinks it might be a Mopar part, or as I mentioned before, a Mitsubishi part, or some other kind. I've already replaced the Peugeot transmission with an Aisin unit, which makes this thing more of a parts mish-mash than it was from the factory.

This really makes me miss working on Toyota's, but dang, I sure do like the 4.0

EDIT: It's mostly an '87

Half the electrical poo poo doesn't work. :pwn:

grzydj fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
God.

I learned to drive in a 1988 Saab 900 when I was 15.

I learned to really drive in a 1997 Wrangler when I was 22.

All this talk I've been about lately about wanting some muscle, I think the fun I've been looking for was back in that summer of '05...

I'm going to go test drive some Wranglers this Saturday and see how it feels again. I worry. That sight draft is just sitting on my dining table, taunting me...

K fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 12, 2008