Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

miklm posted:

Jeeeeeeep guys, tell me whether or not this is a decent deal.

http://bham.craigslist.org/car/623946092.html

That seems like a good deal, but to give you an idea of what Cherokees are going for, I got my '99 4x4 with 80k on the clock for under 5 grand. The updated interior and air bags are a HUGE plus over the older models. '99's are considered the best year because that was the last year of the "new" body/interior and before they updated the head which has issues. Mine is an SE, so it doesn't have power windows or anything but I like it that way, especially since it seems like a lot of people have issues with the electronics of the power windows. The only option I like is tilt and cruise, so I found a tilt column for $35 at a pick n' pull, and when I can find a wrecked '99 with cruise, it's plug and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

leica posted:

That seems like a good deal, but to give you an idea of what Cherokees are going for, I got my '99 4x4 with 80k on the clock for under 5 grand. The updated interior and air bags are a HUGE plus over the older models. '99's are considered the best year because that was the last year of the "new" body/interior and before they updated the head which has issues. Mine is an SE, so it doesn't have power windows or anything but I like it that way, especially since it seems like a lot of people have issues with the electronics of the power windows. The only option I like is tilt and cruise, so I found a tilt column for $35 at a pick n' pull, and when I can find a wrecked '99 with cruise, it's plug and play.

I normally despise electronics in vehicles, my 1985 Cherokee Laredo actually came with power windows and locks, plus tilt.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

I normally despise electronics in vehicles, my 1985 Cherokee Laredo actually came with power windows and locks, plus tilt.

The Laredo was the "luxury" trim line.

What you really need is a Wagoneer or a Cherokee Briarwood. The Briarwood had plush leather seats, wood grain trim, and infrared keyless entry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZippySLC posted:

The Laredo was the "luxury" trim line.

What you really need is a Wagoneer or a Cherokee Briarwood. The Briarwood had plush leather seats, wood grain trim, and infrared keyless entry.

I'd like an XJ Wagoneer, but they get snatched up faster than pork rinds in this town

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The XJ Wagoneers around here last forever on Craigslist, which sucks when you are actually looking for an FSJ Wagoneer. Just forget looking for an FSJ Cherokee.

Jeep names :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

The XJ Wagoneers around here last forever on Craigslist, which sucks when you are actually looking for an FSJ Wagoneer. Just forget looking for an FSJ Cherokee.

Jeep names :argh:

Where are you? Send some of those XJs this way!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Raleigh, NC

There is one that has been listed for months, I'd say about 6. It's a bit worn, but the pictures that were posted ages ago didn't look so bad. The price keeps dropping, $500 now.

There was one that was on for equally as long last year, ~$2000 and looked in great shape. Too bad the front ends look so drat ugly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Raleigh, NC

There is one that has been listed for months, I'd say about 6. It's a bit worn, but the pictures that were posted ages ago didn't look so bad. The price keeps dropping, $500 now.

There was one that was on for equally as long last year, ~$2000 and looked in great shape. Too bad the front ends look so drat ugly.

drat. Once the rear axle arrives today for my XJ, I should come tow that away.

I actually like the dual lights the XJ Wagoneers have, add some brighter lights and you'd have excellent trail lights

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

autophreak posted:

Well that depends. Are you trading your balls in as part of the down payment.
however if you drive a real jeep and you are just buying this to remain brand loyal with a reasonable gas milage grocery getter, then you are safe.

I'll probably keep the Cherokee as I love her to death and would rather cut off my hand than lose her. The Patriot would be almost totally paid for if I chose to get it. It's complicated, I dont really have a choice in what car I would get in this deal.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

Rhyno posted:

I'll probably keep the Cherokee as I love her to death and would rather cut off my hand than lose her. The Patriot would be almost totally paid for if I chose to get it. It's complicated, I dont really have a choice in what car I would get in this deal.

As a Cherokee owner myself I can understand you commitment to it. If you would end up with an almost fully paid vehicle and a jeep to fool around in then go right ahead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just picked up a spare parts XJ for $100, and there are many more

I may just start to learn liking the south

Eotnak
Apr 26, 2006
Hey look a Jeep thread! This is my old Jeep before I sold it to buy a house (that same old story)

It was a Christmas gift so I put it on just before I sold it.

converted to 4.3L Chevy v6. Used the Chevy TBI and ECM and worked out PERFECTLY. sm465 4 spd manual transmission with granny 1st gear. I would regularly let out the clutch and crawl up hills using no gas pedal. My plans were to install a black diamond coil over suspension, 38's, and a PTO winch but I sold it with 35's and a measely 6" lift. I even had 10" front and rear full floating diffs that I was about to cut into before I sold it all for $5500

I get more use out of my house, though

AgentCJ
Jan 9, 2006

Do I look amused?
Well, I just jumped on the jeep bandwagon. I got a 2001 wrangler SE used. The thing is factory fresh, essentially. I'm about to install some headlight and taillight guards, and a hard top is coming down the line. Are there any other recommended upgrades?

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Hello Jeep Thread! I'm thinking about picking up a Jeep. I moved to New Orleans, and my poor Volvo S60R glares at me every morning for making me drive him through the cavernous potholes and lovely roads that we have down here.

Combined that I need a beater car to haul crap with, and drive over everything without completely loving up my suspension, I've decided I need a Jeep. Or a truck. Or a Jeep Truck.

I know my way around cars / welding / anything mechanical, and I would like something to be able to haul around a couple hundred pounds of glass, tools, and perhaps camping poo poo. I'm probably looking at a truck, but a smaller-ish thing like a Wrangler is appealing too. Problem is, I know near-nothing about Jeeps, my forte is classic cars and my beautiful Volvo, and I hardly pay attention to the newer car market.

I know recommendation threads are punishable by a period of time in the AI Iron Maiden, but can anyone start me off somewhere? I guess I'd be looking at craigslist or ebay (shudder) and would possibly bring my mechanic buddy along to look at rust and poo poo. Also, looking to spend less than 5k? I've been reading through the thread, it seems like I could get a nice beater Jeep for 1500 or something. I don't really know though. Thank you AI!

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Just look at every Jeep in your area for sale.

You'll know when you've found the right one. They speak to you.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Money Walrus posted:

I know recommendation threads are punishable by a period of time in the AI Iron Maiden, but can anyone start me off somewhere? I guess I'd be looking at craigslist or ebay (shudder) and would possibly bring my mechanic buddy along to look at rust and poo poo. Also, looking to spend less than 5k? I've been reading through the thread, it seems like I could get a nice beater Jeep for 1500 or something. I don't really know though. Thank you AI!

What the hell is a "nice beather"? Anyway, yes for $1500 you might find an XJ or MJ. You won't find a TJ, YJ, or CJ that isn't in need of serious work/rusting to dust for that price.

I know this is true- at least in my area, I am currently on a long-term hunt for an open-top Jeep. I have owned and daily-driven a CJ5 everywhere. It was such a piece of poo poo, though. Floor was rusting to nothing. Fuel pump was belching as much fuel down the side of the block as it was into the carb, etc. However, even though I never took the soft top off (just the doors) it was the most fun I've had driving anything. So I'm made it my mission this summer to find a Wrangler/CJ for a daily driver and off-roading.

It seems that I could get a YJ for $1500-2000, but it will probably be a 4cyl or need a new motor. If it is a 4 banger it will likely need a new trans, etc.

On a CJ at that price, rust is a serious problem.

Or I might just buy a FSJ and take the doors off or something. I love those Cherokee's/Wagoneers and I could easily get something in good condition, like this: Grand Wagoneer for $1500 or less.

Plus they will take some obscenely large tires from the factory.... and I'll have access to a bunch of military parts for M-715s. In other words I'd like to take the military wheels / tires from this:

and put them on this:

(The front inner-fenders will fit those 39s. The outers would have to be sawzall'd. The rear inner fenders would be cut out, and the outside would have to be cut. It would be worth it though. And you'd need a step ladder to get into the truck (715s are seriously interesting to get into).

Disciple of Pain fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 4, 2008

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Disciple of Pain posted:

What the hell is a "nice beather"?
"We got to the carburetor fire in time, so there's only a small nole burned through the hood." :v:

As for your FSJ plans, I've seen a couple of them with the tops cut off. One done really nicely with body filler, a cage, custom aluminum inside door panels, and everything (looked like a Baja truck); and the other with a Sawzall (looked like a beater shortbox pickup with the top cut off, until you noticed the rear door handles). Both had their strengths. The latter was running some ridiculous tire size like 44" without any lift at all -- he just took the Sawzall to the fenders as well. Man, that truck was loving awesome. I can't remember whose they were, but poke around the readers' rides section on ifsja,org or as on the forum and I'm sure you'll find tham (the nicely done Cherokee was red with balck and yellow trim, and the hacked up Wagoneer . . . was red at one point.)

I think 33" is as big as you can go on a stock 4-door FSJ without cutting anything, fyi. Something like 36" on a Widetrac Cherokee.

I miss my Wagoneer. :( Sure, the tailgate window only worked half the time and most of the side window motors were weak at best, and it got 13mpg after I fixed the leaky fuel pump . . . but gas was cheap and it sounded good with dual glasspacks (well, "good" is relative. One of them fell off while offroading, and I didn't notice until it was pointed out to me).

I want a 715, with an AMC V8 (or a big diesel) in place of the tiny six.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2008

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Jesus, they'll really take 33" stock? That seems like a stretch.

They have leafs all around, so lifts are cheap and easy.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Disciple of Pain posted:

I want to take this and drop a 4bt diesel in it. I would put a canvas cover on the back like old troop haulers paint it farm tractor red and weld boxes in the back and turn it in to the camping/offroad truck I have always wanted.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 4, 2008

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Eotnak posted:

converted to 4.3L Chevy v6. Used the Chevy TBI and ECM and worked out PERFECTLY. sm465 4 spd manual transmission with granny 1st gear.........

How hard is it to drop in that 4.3? I always thought behind the 4.0, the 4.3 would be the next runner up, due to good amount torque on the low end, but have the horse power when hauling tail down the interstate.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
I finally got the starter replaced on my Jeep Comanche today. Once I got the thing pulled off I then had to figure out if it was either a: Motocraft, a Mitsubishi or an AC Delco starter. Seriously.

It turned out to be an AC Delco, but gently caress, if that isn't about the Jeepiest "it's a Jeep thing" ever than I don't know what is. I think I'm going to sell this and buy another Toyota pickup. I guess I don't get it.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Nope, they definitely will take 33's stock, I put a set on one once, currently my XJ Cherokee is sitting on 33's with only a 3" lift.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jack_Handey posted:

Nope, they definitely will take 33's stock, I put a set on one once, currently my XJ Cherokee is sitting on 33's with only a 3" lift.

You have a recent picture of your cherokee? I always loved it and it's why I picked up mine. Sitting on 33" with 5.5" lift.

Edit: Figure I should throw up a pic of mine after a hard days work.

v Looking good. What tires are those?

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 4, 2008

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Yeah just went out and took these with my lovely cameraphone:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Jack_Handey posted:

They just look so low from factory. I guess they do come with 30s though, so that isn't too much more.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

JK's will take 33's stock.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
JKs are huge. I saw a 4-door parked next to a Wagoneer, it was hard to tell which was bigger.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Delivery, McGee - I know I'd have to cut for big tires.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

They just look so low from factory. I guess they do come with 30s though, so that isn't too much more.

Remember that for those big tires the OUTER fenders have to be cut to poo poo. Thats understood. On most vehicles you would try to fit 38s on, however, without a lift - no amount of cutting is going to help you if you'd like to *turn*. The Wagoneer inner fenders are the same as the inner fenders on a M715. So you just need to cut the outers to fit.

On many vehicles even if you flat-fender them, you won't be able to fit tires that massive.

With stock spring and D60s or a SOA on the Wagoneer stock axles... You can fit 44's, if not larger with only cutting the outers.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I know you can get huge tires under them, but the claim was 33s with no cutting. The one in the picture is stock with 30s, and the outer fender doesn't clear the tire by much. I'll take your word for it, but I wouldn't like to try it on a Narrow Track.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Just thought I would share this with everyone since the talk has turned toward full size jeeps.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Nice. Is that a pickup?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just thought I would share this with everyone since the talk has turned toward full size jeeps.

Just seeing that makes me dizzy.

Hate heights hate heights hate heights.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Nice. Is that a pickup?

Pretty sure it is one of the old fullsize pickups. Great looking trucks if you can find on in good condition.

Rhyno posted:

Just seeing that makes me dizzy.

Hate heights hate heights hate heights.

Me too.
It is from a Warn ad where they used an exacto knife to cut away the other half of the trail and add the trees.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
They do look awesome, but the razor grill is my least favorite

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

They do look awesome, but the razor grill is my least favorite

I love the gladiator that has just the center grill like a m715.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Those are, without a doubt, the best. I am going to own one, one day. I am determined.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I love the gladiator that has just the center grill like a m715.

Interestingly, since basically nothing changed from the late 60's till the early 90's, with little modification you can fit any year grille on any year FSJ.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I know you can get huge tires under them, but the claim was 33s with no cutting. The one in the picture is stock with 30s, and the outer fender doesn't clear the tire by much. I'll take your word for it, but I wouldn't like to try it on a Narrow Track.

Oh, yeah. I have no idea. I would be cutting so it doesn't matter. You only need an extra 1.5" of clearance in order to go from 30s to 33s. The angle of the pic makes the rear fenders look closer than they are, plus the truck is probably sagging a bit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I will actually be converting my 2.8l in my 1985 Cherokee Laredo to a Renault 2.1l TD

I will be doing the engine rebuild and adding various cooling features (since the Renault is a aluminum block with aluminum head and wet sleeves).

People complain a lot about it blowing head gaskets, well...
Its a diesel...made from aluminum, what did you expect? Treat it better.

Also, to assist in cooling I will be adding a wastegate to the turbo, an intercooler, oil cooler, and two electronic fans to the radiator instead of the stock fan. I will also be adding racing studs to help keep the block sealed better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Jack_Handey posted:

Interestingly, since basically nothing changed from the late 60's till the early 90's, with little modification you can fit any year grille on any year FSJ.

You can even see the old Gladiator header panel in Delivery McGee's wreck pics.