Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If you can read this flip this thread over:

Jeeps. They are cute, they are tough, and they have been everywhere from battlefronts to driveway.

The jeep legacy started in World War 2, but the name goes back to World War 1, Jeep was a term often used to describe new recruits or unproven vehicles.

The first Jeep was actually not from Willys, commonly associated with the Jeep due to their mass production of them during the war, but by Bantam as the Bantam BRC.

Bantam BRC

It was a wonderful vehicle, but Bantam did not have the ability to mass produce, so Willys Overland and Ford were encouraged to design their own pilot vehicles based on the Bantam BRC

Willys eventually won the contract with their finalized design, the Willys MB. Willys won due to their very dependable and powerful 4 Cylinder Go Devil engine, which served admirably in the war

Willys MB produced by Ford

After the war, excess Jeeps were sold to the public, and had a strong following.

Next after the Willys MB came the CJ series, starting with the CJ2 (Civilian Jeep Model 2)

CJ2A

The CJ series was produced all the way through into the late 70's with the last produced being the CJ7

CJ7 with Mudding Tires
Following beside the CJ Series came the FSJ series or Full Size Jeep, a station wagon meets a jeep sort of mix

Jeep FSJ 1978
Also followed by the pickup version of the FSJ

Jeep under AMC soon followed up with the Cherokee XJ in 1984, the first unibody Jeep product.

This was followed by the Jeep Commanche

Jeep Commanche Pickup

And then the Wrangler, designed off of the CJ body and one of the most popular models of Jeeps

Jeep Wrangler

All in all, Jeep has been one of the biggest names associated with off roading and the American Military.

Talk about Jeeps, Peeps!

EDIT: Sorry, FSJ :P

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I am currently working on acquiring a 1985 AMC Cherokee with 5 speed :hellyeah:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grzydj posted:

I literally have birds nests in the rust holes in my Jeep. :3:

You are just giving back to nature :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

Jeep never made an FJ. I own an FJ, and it's not a jeep. The term you're looking for for the full size jeeps is SJ.

The CJ was sold through 1988, not just the 1970's.

Edit: Why do I seem to know more about jeeps than most jeep people? :cry:

I think it's because I'm sick of telling people "It's not a goddamn jeep!" and then having to explain the differences.

Fixored. Sorry, I mislabeled that, and I do know the difference between a Toyota FJ, Suzuki Samurai and Geo Tracker :D

I actually have seen a 1984 Cherokee Chief that was an XJ body but had an SJ ID. Funny.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

Methinks someone was trying to get around smog tests ;)

This was the sticker in the engine bay, placed in there during manufacturing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

Are you sure about that?

With enough time, you'd be amazed how much of the factory identification can be moved from one vehicle to another. I know of several mid-90's vehicles running around with pre-smog VINs. Also a couple imported vehicles running USDM VINs.

Positive, it looks original, I don't know how you would remove it because its one of those segmented stickers that will tear if you remove it.
Also, it matches the engine in the car, so I can assume its correct

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Curse you ZJs! I defy you! You and your cruddy curved surfaces! Bring back my boxy jeep!

:rant:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Johnsmithindustries posted:

:words: Diesel :words:

I......Love.....this!

I just bought a 1985 Cherokee Laredo, diesel is in its future...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

Heh, Not trying to thread poo poo but the history student in me just had to correct this.

There are a lot of ideas about where the name "Jeep" came from, but two are the most likely ones. The first comes from the Ford designation of "GP" this is probably the most well known theory although many make the mistake of thinking that "GP" stands for "General Purpose" it actually stands for "G"- Government and "P"- Was the vehicle class of a 4x4 1/4 ton truck.

Also likely and probably my favorite theory is that the vehicle was named after a magical comics character named the "Jeep"

The Jeep was a sidekick in the Popeye comics, a character that would be known to pretty much every G.I. since those books were often part of the materials sent to G.I's during the war. The Jeeps powers included doing anything and going anywhere, its easy to see how American soldiers impressed by the rugged performance of Ford's GP Vehicle would have made the connection and given it the name, Jeep.

The Geep term was around during World War 1 as well, some time before that. That is what I was talking about

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
With the broken diff, why didn't you just disconnect the rear axle and put it in 4x4 high and drive it with the front?

I've seen several friend do that when their differential died

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Recently bought a 1985 Cherokee Laredo
I'll get pics when I can, Its a 5 speed with CommandTrac 4x4, and actually has power locks and windows. I love it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'll try to take some pictures of my 1985 Cherokee Laredo when I get home.

Picked it up for $1000 and its in awesome condition for its age, but the V-6 in it it shortly going to be replaced, right now its just a debate of what engine to use:

Engines I'm looking at:

Chevy V-8 6.2l Diesel
Chevy V-8 6.5l Diesel
Mazda RF I4 2.0 Diesel
VW 1.8 I4 Diesel

Choices choices.....and crossposting in my own thread! :(

EDIT: F'in V-8....not V-6 :(

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 4, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

Cummins 4BT, NV4500 transmission, end of story.

BUT I am keeping the AX15 Manual tranny I have, using an adapter plate or getting a new bellhousing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BatoLoco posted:

Both of these engines are Inline, not V. The ax-15 will not hold up too either.

Go check the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

renraku posted:

You wrote that they were V-6 and they're actually V-8 so you're both kind of wrong.

Yes, I fixed that too...

I am guilty :(

In the end, I'm going with the VW engine anyways.

So it will become a Veep!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 4, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

The AX-15 is known to hold up to V8 power, but the 4bt might kill it real quick. Why don't you just build a 4.7 Stroker?

Hence why I am going with the VW Diesel, its closer to the original V-6 I have and has slightly higher torque (not enough to do damage though)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

VW Diesels are cool in Suzukis, but I'd rather keep my 4.0 which stomps the VW diesel in power and has just as much torque. Why not put in a Camaro 3.4 V6? It'll bolt right in where the once fearsome 2.8 was.

I do not want gas anymore :( I've had it with gas engines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

Don't tempt me, my wife will kill me if I don't finish work on the house. No Jeep projects for awhile. :(

This one is cool but it costs over a grand for the carrier+bumper.

There's got to be something similar for less, it's just welded square steel stock for Christ's sake.

My 85 Cherokee Laredo has the swing out spare holder

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Finally, here is my jeep:

1985 Cherokee Laredo
2.8l Chevy 'OOPS I DON'T LIKE GAS ENGINES' V-6
AX5 5 Speed
NV 207 Transfer Case

Fun to drive, reliable as hell, and worth every penny I spent getting it

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 20, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

XenoWolf posted:

This man speaks the truth. While a 4 cyl. was available in XJs starting from inception in MY 1984, it was the AMC I4, not the GM Iron Duke. Both the AMC and the GM engines were I4 2.5L engines (thus the frequent confusion), but AMC and later Chrysler never used the Iron Duke in an XJ. If I recall correctly, the last Jeeps with an Iron Duke were from the 1983 model year.

The 2.8L V6 in the OP's XJ was the GM LR2 engine, fabled for its aptitude at leaking oil from the rear main seal (mating the 2.8 to the T5/AX5 manual or the Chrysler A904 was teh hard)

Edit to say I am a giant Jeep nerd.

Fixed.

Nonetheless, I do hate the engine, and cannot wait to swap it with the nice little inline 5 VW diesel I am rebuilding for it

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I didn't change his, I changed MINE.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 20, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

That seems like a good deal, but to give you an idea of what Cherokees are going for, I got my '99 4x4 with 80k on the clock for under 5 grand. The updated interior and air bags are a HUGE plus over the older models. '99's are considered the best year because that was the last year of the "new" body/interior and before they updated the head which has issues. Mine is an SE, so it doesn't have power windows or anything but I like it that way, especially since it seems like a lot of people have issues with the electronics of the power windows. The only option I like is tilt and cruise, so I found a tilt column for $35 at a pick n' pull, and when I can find a wrecked '99 with cruise, it's plug and play.

I normally despise electronics in vehicles, my 1985 Cherokee Laredo actually came with power windows and locks, plus tilt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZippySLC posted:

The Laredo was the "luxury" trim line.

What you really need is a Wagoneer or a Cherokee Briarwood. The Briarwood had plush leather seats, wood grain trim, and infrared keyless entry.

I'd like an XJ Wagoneer, but they get snatched up faster than pork rinds in this town

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

The XJ Wagoneers around here last forever on Craigslist, which sucks when you are actually looking for an FSJ Wagoneer. Just forget looking for an FSJ Cherokee.

Jeep names :argh:

Where are you? Send some of those XJs this way!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Raleigh, NC

There is one that has been listed for months, I'd say about 6. It's a bit worn, but the pictures that were posted ages ago didn't look so bad. The price keeps dropping, $500 now.

There was one that was on for equally as long last year, ~$2000 and looked in great shape. Too bad the front ends look so drat ugly.

drat. Once the rear axle arrives today for my XJ, I should come tow that away.

I actually like the dual lights the XJ Wagoneers have, add some brighter lights and you'd have excellent trail lights

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just picked up a spare parts XJ for $100, and there are many more

I may just start to learn liking the south

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I will actually be converting my 2.8l in my 1985 Cherokee Laredo to a Renault 2.1l TD

I will be doing the engine rebuild and adding various cooling features (since the Renault is a aluminum block with aluminum head and wet sleeves).

People complain a lot about it blowing head gaskets, well...
Its a diesel...made from aluminum, what did you expect? Treat it better.

Also, to assist in cooling I will be adding a wastegate to the turbo, an intercooler, oil cooler, and two electronic fans to the radiator instead of the stock fan. I will also be adding racing studs to help keep the block sealed better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disciple of Pain posted:

Isn't the 4.0 a direct descendant of the 4.2? I always thought the problems people had with the 4.2 was the "electronic" carb / early FI, etc.

I could have sworn it was the other way around

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Valgarv posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding engine swaps? I've found a smallblock chevy v8 and a rebuilt sm 465 manual tranny. The engine has all the wiring, the computer, alternator. Jeep currently has a 4Cylinder 2.5L AMC, and an AX5 tranny. Am I missing anything or any advice before I buy it and start taking things apart?

Not a popular swap but I am swapping out the 2.8l V6 for the 2.1l Renault Turbo Diesel

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jdohyeah posted:

Photos taken at the dealer in Sydney

I'm anxiously awaiting my new baby to be delivered to me in another state, but soon I will be joining the Jeep club with you guys :3

Is that the CRD diesel model?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jdohyeah posted:

Yeah, apparently the engine maker for this version is VM Motorli (Italy). And while diesel is more expensive, i'm out in a rural area where long roads mean it should pay off in fuel efficiency

That is wonderful. Actualy, VM has been making the diesels for Jeeps for years, just mostly in the European models (a 2.5l VM was used in early Cherokees in Europe)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Legitimate posted:

I've got that great 4.0L and the 5sp AX15 in the YJ, but I just cleaned off the back and it looks like my gear ratio in the Dana 35 is only 3.07 :( I'm not planning on swapping out the axles for a while to give me a chance to get used to the vehicle.

I was reading up on some jeep forums, can I do something mild like a 2" lift and 30" tires on a 3.07 without it driving like crap or losing 5th gear? Any bigger would be bad though?

I think the Cherokees have the same wheelbasee as the Wranglers, go pull a pair of 3.73 Axles from one or larger if you can find them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Veeb0rg posted:

yeah, be in a cherokee and wave at a wrangler.. The look on their face is like they smelled a 4 day old skunk roadkill.

Thats cause a lot of people who drive wranglers are assholes who think they joined some private club.

Thankfully not all of them are, we had a guy at one Jeep gathering talking smack about our Cherokees, and one of the other Wrangler drivers told him to get the gently caress out, that he had driven Cherokees and liked them just as much if not more than his Wrangler.

There is a local guy, Mike Strawbridge, who works on XJs and he has told me stories of place Cherokees can go where wranglers just wallow in the much

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

If it looks like a Cherokee that goes offroad (ie, quality work done, or a ton of mud) I'll wave. Otherwise I just assume its another soccermom grocerygetter.

Y'know some of us offroad stock and CLEAN our cars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sindow posted:

Is this because of the engine or did they start putting more weight or something somewhere? Either way when I get one I'm just going to get an old beat up YJ/CJ, I don't think I could ever own a new Jeep.

new jeeps are just too...well...NEW! They have all the added luxuries that we average Jeep drivers do not want. Why do I want to drag my brand new Jeep Commander through the mud? Its too clean and the interior too luxurious, it makes me sick. I miss the old simple designs of the Cherokees, Wranglers, CJs, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Braincloud posted:

As an average Jeep driver, and as I stated above, I love my amenities. Power windows? Hell yeah, now I don't have to reach all the loving way over to the passenger side to lower the glass. Power door locks? Nice! A great stock stereo I can hear on the freeway and not have to worry about getting stolen since it's keyed to my VIN? Awesome!! Just because it's not a stripped down CJ doesn't mean it's not a Jeep.

And I did drag my brand new JK through the mud, and rocks, and trees, and snow, and creekbeds just to get rid of the "cleanliness." gently caress, I hated the armoralled tires.

Anyway, I get tired of people bagging on the new JKs because they have too many features. They seem to be the same people who bagged on the TJs when they first came out. Fine, you sit on your canvas-seated, box-car riding, noisy rear end CJ/YJ and feel smug because you're so hardcore. I prefer to ride in comfort while sipping my americano. Maybe I'm just getting old.

See you on the trails.

I was not talking about that, my Jeep Cherokee Laredo has power locks, power windows, etc.

I hate the whole futuristic re-design they gave it, trying to add curves to everything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OneOverZero posted:

Welcome to the Desert Sand combo club! One of... not loving many.

I'd do anything to have that one back.

Ideally, you should be looking for a Cherokee (XJ, like the ones in this post), not a Grand Cherokee. It's a smaller vehicle, almost completely unrelated despite the name, that isn't prone to the issues common in the much more complicated Grand Cherokees. :)

That and Grand Cherokees just don't look as good

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

or the 96+ ZJs, in which case high-five.

This

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Dicks on the trail can ruin your day. I run D35s but I do not oversize my tires, and even if I do they won't be too large, I rather like the stock look.

I'm running 3.73s any major difference between the D35 3.07 and the 3.73s gear ratio?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So whats a good replacement for the Danas?

I almost wanted to say 'screw it' and put some 1 ton axles in from a M35

Haha, joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That joke about getting M35 1 ton axles is less of a joke now...

I am actually considering doing it now, their overall strength really outweighs their cost and weight increase.

Granted, I'd have to lift the Cherokee up 8" and get custom driveshafts, but it looks cool and makes you a little more bottom heavy