Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

pirate4x4 is full of jeeps with 1 tons. I love that goddamn place. Buggies and jeeps with ridiculous modifications that can crawl up sheer walls, usually there are lots of rockwells for sale there, I've looked at them and thought "hell I'd need a new motor to turn them bitches".

Eh, for me I'd need a new transmission and transfer case and possibly a new motor.

Having an AX-5 sucks, I've had no problems with it, but its 'light duty'

That and crappy chain driven NV-207

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

You're telling me I need to upgrade my axle to put on 33" tires? Sounds a little extreme. I'm talking a 1997 Wrangler 4.0L here.

Depends entirely on what axle you have, what gear ratio, and what condition it is in.

Having shattered one D35 already, I can tell you they like eating gears

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

Which jeeps pre-rubicon had the D44?

Wranglers and the CJ7 I believe, but I believe there were still earlier model Wranglers with D35s on them.
If you have a late model Wrangler or Rubicon, chances are its D44s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

Well since the chances are good I'll end up with a d35, I guess I'll just have to settle with 32" tires.

That is what a D35 pumpkin looks like

That is a D44 pumpkin, just go take a peek under your Jeep and you should be able to tell

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

I haven't bought the thing yet, but it seems like most 97 sport or Saharas (my price range) came with D35s.

How hard would it be to bolt in a D44 when I find a deal on one?

Very easy to do for the rear, the front is a little more interesting.

Also, you must make sure you get matching geared axles.

Other than that, its a drop in installation pretty much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spiralbrain posted:

Ive heard the D35s in the JKs are almost (or just as) as strong as the older D44(incresed spline strength). Anyone confirm/deny??

They may have upgraded the design a bit, I have not seen the new ones

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just don't go throttle crazy and you will be fine.

Yeah, some people forget they are driving a Jeep and not a Ferrari

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spiralbrain posted:

Its definitely a bigger axle. It wouldnt suprise me if this rumor is true.

Must've added more space for oil cooling and upgrading the wheel bearings a bit. Does the pumpkin look any bigger is a good question, adding most space for stronger rack and pinions

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

While I'm looking here is a D35 uh oh.

Oh god now I am scared to even touch a trail :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

Thats the thing, I didn't, only the first cylinder had water in it, and I didn't dare to try and start it without pulling the plugs first. When I cranked it over to shoot the water out I heard an awful CLUNK and looked at the oilpan and saw two holes in it right under my #1 cylinder. I must've just gotten really unlucky because I've had Jeeps get a LOT more water in them and run fine afterwards, and I've definitely been through deeper holes and been fine.

So really, how much do you guys think I could get for a stripped 91 XJ with a blown motor, AX15 tranny, 3" lift, almost new 33's, non-disco 30 front, and a welded D44 rear?

I'd purchase it if you live within 200 miles of me, needed one with an AX15 for my next conversion project

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

For $2500 you had better be getting that GREAT body he's talking about. EACH rusted out body panel takes around $750-1000 off the total value of a willys. Everything except the front fenders and the hood is the body tub and you're talking chop and weld to replace things like the rear wheel wells.

I'd take a look at it, but it's not a great deal for a nonrunning 60 year old car.

Yes but it IS a willis, and they are hard enough to find as it is. May be the best deal you will find on one

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm wondering if anyone saw THE HAPPENING?

The wrangler scenes in that movie.

QUICK COVER THE VENTS. Like the little slit in the top was HOW the magic crazy pollen got to them. I actually exclaimed AWWWWWW gently caress YOU at that.

THEN that motherfucker chirped a wheel in 2nd, before he crashed into the tree and was thrown through the windshield.

um, AIRBAGS?

gently caress spoilers cause that loving shitpile sucked fetid assholes.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy another American take on a Japanese horror film that ALREADY sucked before being made American.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Even if I could suspend ALL disbelief in this movie, once they said cover the vents in the jeep as if that would miraculously seal all outside air from getting in, I just couldn't go on. I think if you sealed a wrangler completely with and then filled it up with that expanda-foam stuff it would STILL have air seeping in from somewhere.

That soft top slit was the reason for their doom, not the 300 million different places air would seep into that thing.

ALSO 3 people in the back, that poor bitch was sagging so bad.

I do hope this soft top Jeep Wrangler (read: swiss cheese) holds the spores at bay!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

I'm in central NC, I'm going to part it out, anyone wants it, they can get it.

MORE BAD NEWS:

In between getting my jeep stuck last night and this morning, some fuckers stole my brand new goddamn TrXus 33's off of my jeep. So now it's sitting on its frame, blown engine, in the middle of the goddamn woods.

I'd come get it, what are you asking? Lack of tires won't stop me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

They're not that rare, the frame and running gear in total aren't worth $2500 running.

Well then find me one :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

I have some guys I know if you're serious.

I am quite serious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

Ok, I'll see if they're still in the game and see what I can do for you. I was talking to a guy in georgia who had a parts farm/tons of jeeps, but I haven't kept up with him for 5 or 6 years now.

MrZig, You'd probably have better luck with a road trip to one of the dry states. You're somewhat close to the well respected Jeep Doctor who may or may not still be selling frames and recovered project jeeps. Try talking to some of the enthusiast groups instead of the classifieds. I haven't kept up with them either, but I always found the CJ-3B board helpful. I'd also watch willystech, g503 and other CJ or MB specific forums. Don't just buy the first one that comes around like I did. Having a good body tub takes the pain out of owning a willys.

Let me know what you find out Vaporware. I will buy one if he is willing to sell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OneOverZero posted:

The Patriot is a gussied-up Dodge Caliber. It's better on road and gets better mileage than the Cherokee, but it's more along the lines of the older Toyota RAV-4 or a small Ford Escape - definitely not made for offroad jaunts, although better than 95% of its competition.

I thought the Patriot and the Commander were just bad redesigns of the Cherokee honestly. Gotta remember, the Cherokee kinda help start the SUV craze

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm thinking of dumping my Wrangler for an XJ.

Thinking.

I was originally going to buy a Wrangler instead of an XJ, but after test drving several Wranglers and then several XJs I found the XJ to be more of what I was looking for as far as stability in offroad environments and reliability

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

incredibull posted:

Speaking of which, I've been looking for the "best" Jeep forum, and haven't really found it. Most seem either too unfriendly to those who aren't building all-out rockcrawling, or are full of complete retards that can't make a single legible post.

Any suggestions? I just want some place that has good tech info where I won't get bashed for having less than 33s on my Jeep.

Also, why the hell are all of the Jeep forums so obsessed with :911:

If you have an XJ I am on a mailing list that has a lot of good guys who work on both daily drivers and offroad rigs and cater to both.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just make sure your friend gets the spacing correct on the differential, I have heard some bad stories about if the spacing isn't correct the gears will eat themselves alive.

Having had to go through one axle already, I'd hate to have your friend shear his out

To clarify, I mean the spacing on the rack and pinion gears

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

I hope you mean "for life." You can't just cast a Cherokee off in a couple months like an unloved child. :colbert:

Exactly

You will join usssss...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I've seen a couple Discos off-roading but they are rather top heavy from what I've heard so people are pretty careful not to get into the nasty parts of the trail with them.

However we did rescue a disco that tried to wade a 3 ft deep stream and flooded his engine :P

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Oh ye gods I am about to buy another XJ...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slack3r posted:

Heh.. You got the "bug". Since 2006 I have owned 4 or 5 XJs now. Finally down to 2 for now. :)

I now have a 1985 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with an Inline 4 2.5

And now I am buying an 1987 Jeep Cherokee Diesel 2.1l

I can't stop myself!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slack3r posted:

NOOOO.. Ill trade ya straight up for a stock black bezel for the woodgrain one. I can ship too.. AUGH!

Hell yes wood grain!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

bonus picturesfrom yesterday's snow trip:

That is a beautiful XJ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Was a beautiful XJ, 5 minutes after posting that I walked outside and it was gone :(

Looks like I will be getting the newer XJ sooner than I thought.

The gently caress!?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

I only picked up the jeep a couple weeks ago. Before that it was owned by my friend Christoph. Add me as a buddy contact or whatever and I will let you know the next time we have something planned. Do keep in mind that the jeep in question was stolen yesterday, so I'm not sure if it will ever be seen again.

Still makes me sore, You did report it already correct?

Motherfuckers...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

Holy poo poo frustration to no end... I ordered this part ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_04.htm ) and it says that it'll fit my 93 jeep cherokee but it is about half an inch too short and I can get it to bolt down correctly... not the sort of thing I want to half rear end. Someone please please please tell me I am missing something otherwise I think I'll send this back and grab one out of the junk yard.

Isn't that supposed to be adjustable? IF that is the part I think it is, there are some bolts you can loosen near the center and you can adjust the size to the correct size...

But then you have to toe in your steering again

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

I don't see any bolts on it but it looks like it could be adjustable. This connects the steering column to the power steering.

It may be telescoping, check and see...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

How would I adjust it? I don't see any sort of bolts on it and I can't figure out a way to adjust it.

Let me go look at mine real quick...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Well they found my jeep. Talked to the officer, it was about 5km away, in a ditch or something.

She said "They couldn't drive it anymore because the wheel was bent, also, the interior is a mess, did you have a stereo in it ? The dash is damaged pretty badly."

Seems like they left the wheels/tires. This leads me to believe that it wasn't 4x4 enthusiasts who took it, but just random Surrey Crackheads, like our pal Robbie here: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fmN-An9eDpM

I am just glad they found your Jeep. Thank God...

Is it still drivable?

EDIT: I say we apply Abrahamic law equivalents to these fuckers for messing up such a nice XJ

You broke a tire? Okay, we BREAK YOUR LEGS!

You ripped out my stereo? I guess that means I can rip out your vocal chords....

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 6, 2009

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ninja Dan posted:

You pointed me in the right direction and another forum confirmed the part is telescopic but the paint is keeping it from moving. But you put me on the right trail so thanks a bunch!

Yeah after I looked at mine, it just slides in and out for different reaches, it has a square center to keep it straight.

Glad I could help...

I actually initially thought you meant the lower tie rod, which is also adjustable to change the toe...

So I accidentally pointed you in the right direction

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhett posted:

Just tell me to buy it already, im not too familiar with a inline6 but I really dont want a 4 banger. gonna see it tomorrow

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/cto/982510159.html

Oh just buy it

EDIT: Go buy an XJ

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 7, 2009

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grzydj posted:

Holy poo poo. That's bloody brilliant. I'd love to bypass all this wonky vacuum bullshit and be done with it. I'll give them a call on Monday and figure out which kit I should go with.

The $200 kit costs half as much as the truck did. :laugh:

I only have 2 vacuum lines on my 2.5l
1 for vacuum advance, 1 for Brake Slave

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

XJ headlight wiring harness upgrades, what can I be told about them ? Looking to buy a kit, but have also read about some weird issues if I have the factory foglights option.
?Basically my headlights are dim as poo poo even though im seeing 14+ volts from the alternator.

I believe you can either get brighter model bulbs or there is a wiring harness for HID lights.

I know what you mean though, I sometimes have to drive around with my brights on to see poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
One of the cam lobes on my 2.5l has worn out :( Gotta swap back to the 2.8 while I rebuild the 2.5

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just picked up an 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, its in awesome condition.

Only issue is the automatic transmission won't shift properly, however if you shift it manually it WILL shift through all the gears. Tried looking at the Throttle Position Sensor, that does not seem to be the issue, someone else suggested adjusting the TV cable on the throttle or even replacing the TCU

Trying to figure it out, hope to have it fixed soon. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

It never hurts to try the Tv cable adjustment... that tends to be the first place people go when they think shifting is off and they usually gently caress it up. If it's the ratcheting kind (I can't keep track, and frankly neither could Jeep), adjust it all the way in and then stomp on the gas. Voila, instant starting point. The Jeep should be off, obviously.

When you say won't shift properly, though, what's the problem? Delays in one direction or both, won't shift in one direction or both, all gears affected or only some gears?

Won't shift on its own at all. I unplugged the TCU and shifted through manually and it drove okay, so the transmission is fine. Its just not shifting when it should, it stays locked in 1st unless you shift it