Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
06 LJ here (yes, not an official designation, I know) and trying to decide if March 1 is too soon to take the soft top off and go back to the safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
2006 LJ here. Only mod so far is a completely Line-Xed interior. It is about time to switch from the safari top to soft top, though... And I've got a rear zipper problem. Probably they need to be replaced, as a few of the teeth are pretty hosed - anyone have any experience with either DIYing the softop zipper teeth (rear window) or any ideas about who might handle that?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

incredibull posted:

It seems like quite a few Jeep owners get their soft top work done at a marine shop, so you should at least ask around at a few shops. Their workload is probably going down around this time of the year.

Good call, talked to a marine canvas place today and he's going to replace the zipper.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Is it lifted? If so, check out some of the articles on death wobble. They may be of help even if not lifted.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Triple E posted:

After an incident involving my '03 Wrangler X, a poorly secured cap on a bottle of laundry detergent and a sudden swerve, I'm seriously considering ripping out all the carpet in my Wrangler and Rhino-lining the interior. Anyone else done this? Would you recommend it? What kind of costs am I looking at, and is there anything I should be concerned about when shopping the job around? Pros/cons in your experience?

Thanks!

I had it professionally done and was debating Line-X vs Rhino. Line-X won out for me because it goes on thinner and the lifetime warranty is honored at any Line-X shop - Rhino's is just at the shop you had it done in. Also, this shop did all the Jeeps in my city's water utility fleet (Louisville, KY), so they knew what they were doing.

I had my 04 TJ Unlimited done in spring of 06 for 650 - regular TJs were like $100 cheaper. I took everything off except the driver's seat to save labor costs. Absolutely love it and highly recommend it. Get dirt in it? Who gives a poo poo, hose it out. Raining and you just have a safari top? Who gives a poo poo.

Edit: two years ago, not last year.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 22, 2009

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Triple E posted:

Nice. I'm definitly going to go through with this. Now to find a place to do it...

Just make sure to strip everything out except your seat - it will save you a bunch!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

cory ad portas posted:

Speaking of line-x, have any of you done this to a Wrangler, to essentially make it a very small truck with a bikini top?

Yes, mine is entirely coated in line=x and I use only a safari top for about 6 months.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

cory ad portas posted:

How much did that end up costing you, approximately?

About $650. I took everything off except the driver's seat prior to taking it n to save labor costs and I have an 06 LJ, a TJ would have probably been $550-$575.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Please let me know if I shouldn't post this here - I think it is okay per the FAQ, but will happily edit this if not. I also thought this would go better here than as a dedicated thread.

I posted a want to buy / trade ad in SA Mart for an LJ hard top - I currently have a soft top that I treat like a hard top (taken off when it warms up in lieu of a safari top, put on when it starts to get cold). I'd like to just go ahead and get a real hard top since I have storage room for it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Headlight fuse or relay? Could be the switch, too, but I'd start in the fuse box.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I also picked up some half doors and the half top with half doors is A W E S O M E.

That is awesome. Is this a permanent top or can you swap it out like the hard top?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Nicew! Just the back, or the whole thing? Also, I forgot to mention this when we were dealing with the top and I don't know if you noticed it or not, but I had them do my kick plates too. That was their suggestion and I am real happy I took it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It is that time of year again. :getin: Time to take off the hardtop and run safari / no top til October or so. So, before I call up a buddy to come over and help me remove and store it, anyone have any experience with the hoist a top?

I am thinking about buying one and should have enough space to get it in and raise it over the garage door, but I'll be measuring that tonight and looking at what rafter reinforcements I want to put in over the couple days before it arrives if I order it tonight. What I am really interested in hearing about it is long term experience - top spread, top balance, things like that. Thanks!

Edit: yeah, I'm good from a hanging standpoint. Based on the install instructions, I think I'll need to put in a crosspiece for the rafters, but that's no big deal. The real question now is whether or not it works well and doesn't spread the top.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 13, 2012