Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jack_Handey posted:

Follow the parking brake cables up to above the rear driveshaft. You'll see where the two cables attach to this bracket, and there are two nuts holding it onto a long threaded piece that comes out of the ebrake hole in the floor. Tighten that up, but be careful not to get it too tight.

Thank you for this. My parking brake is working for the first time in over a year. The strange thing is that I was just staring at that exact part the other day without knowing what it did other than "something to do with brakes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Ok, I feel stupid for needing to ask this, but the only time the axle fluid was ever changed in my '98 XJ was about 60k miles ago and whoever did it ripped the identification tag off. Am I correct in thinking that this is the 8.25" rear end?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Eww, here's an angle that hasn't been ruined by Michigan roads.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Also, I've never opened one of these up before so is there any sage advice I should know that wouldn't be in the repair manual?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ethanol posted:

I have a 1999 Wrangler Sport. Last week, I noticed that the gauges were dead. Specifically, the needles all pointed to as if they were off, but the backlight and trip computer was still on. Also, when this happens, the airbag light comes on.

This problem is intermittent, although I would say that 50-70% of the time, the gauges are dead. During a drive, they will come alive randomly and then perhaps die again.

What's going on?

I've been having this exact same problem with my '98 Cherokee. Usually the gauges come back if I slam my fist down on the dash so I'm guessing its just a loose connection, but mine isn't as frequent a problem so I've been too lazy to fix it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Even with all the talk of how good the 4.0L is, I'm always surprised by how easily it pulls this 5,000 pound bastard up the boat launch. Also, considering that my leaf springs are made almost entirely out of rust at this point I'm surprised the back end stays off the axle (that front wheel on the trailer isn't supporting any weight).

Click here for the full 1365x1024 image.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you were going to Line-X a Cherokee, is there anything you can do about the back seat that folds down? It seems stupid to leave that as carpet, but it looks like if you cut the carpet off the back of the seat then all the upholstery would fall off.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm just toying with getting rid of the rug I keep in the cargo area, I still like having a back seat. Its more of a curiosity than anything, but it would be nice to be able to throw a lawnmower or something in the back when I want without having it look like poo poo.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is there anything that would scare you away from this?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1049870114.html

Any questions I should ask him? Also, should I be worried about buying a vehicle that already has a lift on it (may have been done by caps-typing retard)?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

leica posted:

Anyone do any significant towing with their XJ?

XJ's are designed to tow up to 5,000 pounds. The brakes could be a bit more powerful, and don't expect to pass anyone on the freeway, but they take off from a stop without any complaint. Here's a repost from earlier in the thread of my Jeep pulling my dad's big loving boat.

Click here for the full 1365x1024 image.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ph4lcon posted:

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee and I need to recharge my AC before I go to Florida next week. Which port do I use, I found three of them one with a green cap, and two with a black cap. Also what all would I need to do this on the cheap?

The compressor has two hoses coming out of it, a skinny hose (high pressure) and a fat hose (low pressure) that connects to a tank near your firewall. On my 98 Cherokee the port you're looking for is on the fat hose itself right before it connects to the tank, but even if it isn't, it will be on something connected to the fat hose. Don't touch the port on the skinny hose and you'll be fine.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Thanks to you guys I've been looking at getting some Hawk LTS pads for my Cherokee since my $10 pads kind of suck and I like pulling things around. Hawk's website says LTS pads are available in two thicknesses for my vehicle, but Amazon's parts finder says the thicker 0.677 thickness ones won't work even though other Hawk pads in the same thickness will. I'm assuming that Amazon is dicking up again, but why would you want thinner pads anyway?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FogHelmut posted:

What is the opinion on the Patriot/Compass? My sister is thinking of getting one, or another small SUV. I really don't know much about them and she keeps asking me questions because I "have opinions on cars."

Having been a passenger many times in a Patriot, it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. If you want to do off-roading, towing, or hauling it probably isn't for you. If you want a hatchback with a bit more room and with all-wheel-drive, then its just fine, and has a bunch more leg room than a Cherokee. I can't comment on the all-wheel-drive though because my friend's wife refuses to drive an automatic so she had to settle for the Luddite Jeep with no options or power anything.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Tell me about it. My Cherokee has needed both front window regulators replaced, my gauges sometimes cut out for about a minute at a time, I may have to run new wires to the driver's speaker because it has gone silent and the speaker is fine, my gauges have no idea what the transfer case is doing, and just yesterday my dash stopped lighting up when I turn my headlights on.

Any ideas about the gauge lights though? The radio still dims when I turn on my lights so could it just be the 12 year old bulb in the dash? The odometer doesn't dim anymore either but I don't know if that's just because of the extra draw for the gauge light.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm a bit biased because my girlfriend has a Patriot, but if you don't plan on going off road it has tons more legroom and a better interior than my Cherokee. I also seem to remember 4-Wheel magazine being surprised at the Patriot's abilities off road (probably that it doesn't immediately get stuck) so its probably at least good enough for "in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have gone this way."

I will concede though that the automatic takes a while to decide to give you the power you just asked for. My friend's wife has a manual Patriot that doesn't have that issue.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Ok, the puddle of UV dye under my drip hose, and the shop that replaced my AC compressor (you can add AC systems to the list of things not to put Stop-Leak in) have told me that my evaporator is leaking very badly. Aside from putting more refrigerant in before the leak got too bad, I've never worked on an AC system. How big of a pain in the rear end is it to replace the evaporator on a '98 Cherokee? I understand that it involves taking most of the dash apart, but are there special proprietary tools I'll need to get the lines off the evaporator once I get the dash apart?

I got a quote for about $900 to do the whole job. Should I get this evaporator or the "Factory Air" version my girlfriend gets a discount on at Advance Auto and try to put it in myself? Should I rip everything apart and pay a shop to do the specialized bit since I'll need to get it purged anyways? Does it even make a difference if the shop is using the book hours for labor charges? Does the problem in every Jeep AC from this era originate somewhere else and I should just sweat to death because a new evaporator won't last anyways?

As an aside, I know what "factory air" is slang for and I'm immature enough to giggle whenever I turn on my AC in the future if I get that one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Where/what is the drier? Amazon said I needed to change it but I don't remember it from when I was skimming the procedure in my factory service manual, possibly because I was a bit distracted by "READ THE SAFETY SECTION FIRST OR THE AIRBAG WILL KILL YOU!...or just disconnect the battery for two minutes" warnings on every page.

Is the car still drivable with the dash apart? I've only taken it apart enough to fiddle with the gauges or change a stereo and some video on youtube for a Grand Cherokee (as if the AC never fails on an XJ) showed they had removed the steering column for some reason.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Time to play another rousing game of "What the gently caress fell off my car?" with the "How important is it?" lightning-round!

Its off of a '98 Cherokee and if I had to guess I'd say its a muffler heat shield.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 16, 2011

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm almost ready to try replacing the leaking evaporator in my 98 XJ. Am I to understand that the dryer everyone says I need to replace is the desiccant bag built into the accumulator, meaning that I need to replace the accumulator once I open the system? Is there anything else that I should be replacing while I have everything apart? The heater core still blows incredibly hot but for years my dad's very sensitive nose has been picking up a coolant smell when the heater is running.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've finally decided to replace the headlights in my Cherokee since one is ~9 years old and the other one has been in the car since they built it in '98. Is the consensus still Autopal E-codes from eBay? I was thinking of these headlights and this wiring harness.

Atlanta only has emissions testing but I'm still paranoid about an angry policeman yelling at me for not having DOT headlights which is why I'm also on the fence about getting 100/55w bulbs even though I'm very anal about not having my brights on if someone is ahead of me.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I used my '98 XJ to pull my boat (between 1,500 and 2,000 lbs with the trailer) from Detroit to Atlanta a while back and the trans temp gauge was off-scale low the whole time I was on the freeway because the torque converter locks once you get up to speed. I only turned off the overdrive and put it in third if it would downshift and/or unlock while going up a hill in the Smokies. The trans fluid only really heats up in stop and go traffic of if you have to sit around idling for some reason, like people in front of you not knowing how to launch a boat:argh:.

edit: No cooler except whatever the factory put on (I think I have the one that just goes through the radiator).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've finally decided to stop putting off putting new brakes on my Cherokee. Is the preferred combination still Hawk LTS pads and the cheapest rotors I can find? All things being equal, I do have a preference for Advance Auto but I'm not married to them.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm looking at doing a rear disk swap on my 98 Cherokee and want someone to talk me into/out of going through with it. I'm looking at using this kit instead of a ZJ swap so that I don't have to use 15 year old hardware, but hadn't heard much about the company:
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Brakes-and-Steering/Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit.aspx?t_c=65&t_s=541&t_pt=10397&t_pn=G%2f296-2049-DB

I've never pulled an axle or even disconnected a brake line, but I've heard that it isn't the hardest thing to do. Anything I need other than parking brake cables? It says that the stock steel wheels may rub (implying that they're bigger than the front calipers?) so am I correct in thinking that these stock non-steel wheels would be fine? Am I stupid for thinking this is a good idea, stupid like a fox, or some third thing?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I had originally planned to do a ZJ swap but after adding parts up in my head I figured that it might be worth it to not do the job twice. I forgot to ask earlier if I would need new hard lines and/or a proportioning valve. I've heard that some guys have gotten away with using the factory valve while others say you need to replace it to get proper pedal feel. Personally, I could give a poo poo how the pedal feels (Cherokee pedals already seem to feel a bit crummy) just so long as the rears don't lock up prematurely under heavy braking.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I hate you for making me start looking at craigslist again (google tells me that my local junkyard is staffed by crooked assholes). Any thoughts on a Magnaflow bolt-in catalytic converter? Mine is loud as hell and I'm close enough to Atlanta that I need to pass emissions. Should I get a new O2 sensor while I'm at it?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

rally posted:

All this talk of flashing CELs being the end of the world...mine was flashing on a trip awhile ago right after I changed my CPS, but it hasn't done it since...this was like 1000 miles ago. I am fine right?

Also, how the hell do I get the rubber bushing(?)around the steering assembly near the fire wall to quit squeaking in the cold(99 XJ)? I have covered the inside of it in copious amounts of white lithium grease to no avail. I can pull the rubber back and then it doesn't squeak, but I can hear a lot more engine noise this way.

I put WD-40 on mine about 5 years ago and it hasn't made noise since. Either I got lucky or you got a crap one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Looking at replacing the water pump, thermostat housing, and both radiator hoses on my Cherokee to hopefully get rid of my elusive coolant leak (and because everything is 14 years old). I've never had any problems with overheating while towing a boat through an Atlanta heat wave with the A/C on so is there any reason to spend the money on a Flowkooler vs a $31 Bosch water pump? Also, someone said something a while back about only buying OEM cooling parts and I was wondering if anyone had any horror stories about that.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Are the spring tension clamps that the factory puts on coolant lines better than worm gear clamps and who sells them?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The lower radiator hose I bought for my Cherokee doesn't have the reinforcing that the service manual says keeps it from collapsing under suction. Is it important enough that I should go try and get a different hose from the dealership?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
It does but I wasn't sure if it came out and I wanted to ask before I rip it all apart. Thanks.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Does it look like I need to replace/repair my radiator? The occasional puddle and collection of dried coolant always seem to be under the lower radiator hose, but then I see this poo poo after I've already started my water pump replacement.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I broke the plastic connector that joins the kickdown (I guess the proper term is throttle valve) cable to the throttle body on my co-worker's 4.0 Grand Cherokee. Is there any way to jury rig this to work so that I don't need to spend $80 at the dealership to replace the whole cable?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think the AC compressor clutch in my '98 Cherokee died. Is there anywhere that sells them or do I need to go to a junkyard? More importantly, my compressor was replaced a few years ago with what looks like an OEM unit but I can't be sure, so would a junkyard clutch even be likely to work? How the hell does an electromagnet just stop working? Why does my Jeep's AC hate me so?

Boring troubleshooting stuff: I've checked the high and low pressure switches, the AC relay, every fuse I could find, my electric fan comes on, the clutch is only very slightly above spec on the air gap (<.01 inch over), there is adequate refrigerant pressure on the low side, there is power coming from the harness going to the clutch when the AC is turned on, the clutch does nothing when jumped directly from the battery and has infinite resistance and no current draw. Is there anything else it could be other than a break in the foot of wire between the connector and wherever it disappears to behind the pulley?

Also, the wire comes from the connector, goes into a wire loom alone, and comes out as a wire going into the back of the pulley and a second mystery wire that connects to a ground screw on the side of the compressor. Where the hell does the mystery wire come from and what does it do?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ethanol posted:

What's up with the the fuel reserve in jeep wranglers? The gas light in my '99 wrangler (supposedly 19 gallon tank capacity) seems to come on when I still have four gallons in the tank. If I fill it up right when the light comes on, it takes about 15.5 gallons. I think the most I've ever put into it is 16.5 gallons, and that felt like I was on the edge with the light on forever. Can I really push another 80 miles or so after the light comes on?

Possibly. I've driven my Cherokee much farther than I thought it would after the light came on. Just bring some gas with you when you decide to test it. I made it 124.5 miles into my 126 mile trip home when I ran out and had to call my mommy to come save me. Protip: try not to coast into the left turn lane in front of a K-Mart; the average K-Mart shopper seems to think hazard flashers mean that you want to turn left double-hard and get pissed when you sit there not having enough gas in your car to fill a Zippo.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Anybody seen a deal on a 15 inch wheel for a Cherokee for less than $55? It's for a spare so it doesn't need to be pretty but I would prefer a new wheel instead of trying to find a single used wheel locally.

Posting this from Discount Tire because I ran over a wheel weight the size of a brake for a bicycle. Why can't I ever run over a nail like a normal person? I will say that despite my swearing to the contrary while changing my tire, the jack/wrench that came under the seat is better than any other OEM set of tools that I've seen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kastein posted:

...within a reasonable drive of central mass...

Atlanta :(

Usually when I check craigslist I can only find people trying to unload 4 or 5 wheels as a set, often with tires attached. I might end up having to go to a junkyard if I can't find a crazy clearance deal on the internet somewhere.

...or I could just get the steel wheel from discount tire since this is the same reason that I've almost gone through another set of tires without upgrading my spare.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Two questions about Grand Cherokee brakes:
1) I'm about ready to finally get off my rear end and do a disk swap for my XJ. Do the backing plates/calipers from any ZJ work or do I need to look for specific trim levels/engines/axles on the donor vehicle?

2) My co-worker wants me to take a look at the brakes on his WJ. He said he tried to stop once, his foot went to the floor, and he hasn't had any braking from the rear since. I think he said that he's been driving it like this for a few months now so the fronts at least seem to be doing well enough, but what should I be looking for other than low brake fluid to indicate a leak somewhere? He also said "it sounds like a bolt sliding back and forth in a pipe" but I was a little busy being terrified by the rest of what he'd told me to remember if he said it does that while driving, going around corners, braking, sitting there parked, etc.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Unfortunately for anyone who ever dares venture near a road, Atlanta only has emissions inspections. Want to know the worst part about my co-worker? The only reason I found out about his brakes is because I asked him if he wanted me to finally replace his fan relay now that it was summer (his electric fan wouldn't shut off even with the car not running, so he pulled the fuse and had someone put a jumper somewhere to fool the computer into turning off the CEL so he could pass emissions.). If I hadn't asked if his car had started overheating yet he never would have brought it up!

Back to ZJs though. Do ZJs use the same A/C compressor as my 98 XJ? How interchangeable are the compressor clutches? I need a new clutch for my probably aftermarket compressor and if I'm already taking the brakes I'd like to at least take a look at fixing my A/C too.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm changing the shocks on my '98 XJ and the only metric nuts I can find to use for the upper front and lower rear shock mounts are class 8 (not to be confused with grade 8 for people that are skimming). Is that strong enough or should I just reuse the original hardware?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I sometimes wish my Cherokee had full time awd when there is patchy snow or really heavy rain so I wouldn't be constantly shifting into and out of 4wd.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Speaking of painting Cherokees, I decided to undo some of the damage that 4 years of not waxing my car and Georgia's sun had done to my hood. The idea was to use Plum Crazy but I was limited to what I could find in a rattle can because I had to be able to drive my car the next day.

Album of in-progress pictures.

I don't have any pictures of after I wet-sanded, compounded, waxed the clearcoat so it still has a matte finish in the last pictures...also I need to put on another coat of clear and take pictures without a combination of the florescent lights in my garage and my 10+ year old camera, but it came out better than I was expecting.

Tips I learned:
  • Put scrap wood over the hood latches before you disconnect the release cable so you don't forget or accidentally close your hood with no way to open it back up.
  • A leaf blower + California Water Blade will dry your solvent from the prep stages in seconds.
  • Take the old rug out of your garage before painting so that the overspray will blend into the floor better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mod sassinator posted:

While waiting for my 4 liter's oil fill cap to cool down so I could open it and top off the oil, I was wondering what do quick change oil shops do when a Jeep rolls in for a fast oil change? Do they just break off the oil fill cap? Does it open without breaking when hot if you twist on it hard enough? Why did they even put a temp sensitive cap on in the first place--I can understand doing it for the radiator, but what's the harm in opening a hot engine?

I'll often just let the top half rip itself off of the bottom half and then loosen the threaded part with channel-locks. Gives me something to do while the oil drains out. I have no idea why it isn't just one piece.