Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
Since this is a Jeep megathread, I suppose that this is as good place as any to ask about buying one.

I would like a Comanche or a Cherokee with the 4.0 liter, manual, 4 wheel drive.

What are years to avoid, what are common issues, and what should I look for when buying one (other than rust, which is to be expected in Michigan), and what can I expect to pay for a good runner (roughly)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

miklm posted:

That looks miserable. How do you people live like that?!? I'd sell a kidney to move somewhere warm if I lived somewhere that happened...

You haven't lived until you've driven through snow deep enough to come up over your hood and onto your windshield. :colbert:

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
Hooray! All my hopes and dreams came true. Well, not quite, but close. As of today, I am the proud owner of a blue 1987 Jeep Comanche, 4.0 litre, 5-spd, (working) 4wd, and as rust free as it gets in Michigan. The bottom of the box is even 100% solid. There are a few things that make you go "hmm", such as the GM steering column/wheel/ignition key, but other than that, its fine. Pictures coming as soon as it stops raining and being lovely out.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

This is like winning the lottery, good find. Except I think 87 had the Peugeot transmission, yucky.

Yea, it does. An AX-15 swap wouldn't be too hard, and they aren't too hard to find, right? I hope?

Here it is:

russ6570 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 12, 2008

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

The King of Swag posted:

Looks great, although I'd personally drop the bed cover and roof runner lights.

Way ahead of you on the topper, but I'm not sure about the roof lights yet. I disliked them at first, but I actually am starting to like them more and more. And for 800 dollars, who am I to complain?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

You'll need to get the transfer case (NP231) with the AX-15, too. I think it'd be too much trouble to adapt the NP207 you have now. Plus the NP207 just isn't as good and the NP231 has a lower low-range.

Yea, I have already been thinking about doing that this summer. We'll see though, everything is in good condition, so no reason to fix whats already working.

I'll take more pictures in a few days when its registered and insured in my name.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
alright
here are some more pictures

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

Looking good. Now go get it dirty. I'm going to be hitting up a bunch of fire roads on friday to try out my new gps mount. I will also be picking up a map for the Sam Houston national forest that is up the road. Hopefully I can find somewhere fun to go camping and fishing. If any Houston goons want to come driving I'm open to having company.

Definatly. And if any Michigan goons know of anywhere to go that is relatively good for beginners near Lansing, please let me know.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

MrZig posted:

drat dude, that looks sharp. Kinda makes me wish I had a Comanche now. That blue is killer. Throw a 3" lift and 31's on that and you'll have yourself a badass truck.

Also, why does your shifter knob look like it's from an Auto?

I think they're called a t-shifter, or something like that. I like the ergonomics of it, but I don't like this particular one. My dad has a Mr. Gasket shifter with the same setup, but is much nicer than this one. Plus, sentimental value, as it was in a truck he had since I was born, and only just recently sold to my uncle. Interestingly enough, it was very similar to my Comanche in how it was setup (manual, 4x4, Blue/blue, no carpet or headliner).

Also, here is a short, lovely video of it running. Dig the purple hair tie on my wrist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQ4353s-84

russ6570 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 14, 2008

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
So, my Comanche has a set of Hankook radials on it currently, size 215/75 R15. What are some decent, fairly inexpensive all-terrain tires that would fit my rims? I would like to do some mild off roading this summer, and the tires on it now are definatly not going to cut it

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

MrZig posted:

30"x9.50 will be the max depending on your current suspension.

Anything wider will rub on your control arms (need new rims), and anything taller will definitely rub your fenders.

Edit: 30's may still rub your suspension even from the factory. You're 100% safe with 235/75/r15 if your leafs aren't sagged. I'd still go with 30's though.

Thanks a lot. Can anybody recommend a particular tire?

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
a few Comanche questions-

What major things are different between a Comanche and a Cherokee?

If I were to swap a gauge cluster in that had, you know, gauges (not idiot lights), would I have to replace all the sensors, and would I have to replace anything to get the tachometer to work as mine doesn't have one?

And finally, is there any easy way to lift the rear of the truck other than a spring over axle lift?

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

Nothing was different between the MJ and the 4 door XJ from the cab forward. Behind the cab nothing was the same. Most MJs came with bench seats and a pedal parking brake.

As for swapping the gauge cluster, I have done this and it is the best modification I have ever done in any vehicle I have ever owned. If your truck is a pre '91 you need to get one with a cable speedo, if it is a 91 or 92 you will need an electronic one. The only sensors you need to swap are the oil pressure (they stocked this at my local autozone) and the temp sensor (I had to order this from Napa online). Also take the time to calibrate your odometer, this like will help give you an idea of what the swap involves, it is very easy once you locate all three parts.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921205

How much are you wanting to lift your truck? There is shackles you can get that will put it up an inch or so, but anything beyond that you will have to do spring over axle.

Thanks for the info on the cluster, I was able to find a free one (same year as my truck even- score!) and will hopefully be getting that and doing the swap this weekend.

As for the lift, one or two inches is all I really want, and I definatly wouldn't go above three inches.

Unrelated question- My 87 Comanche (4.0, AX-5 transmission) has a really bad fast idle condition that occurs only at startup. It occurs hot, cold, when its wet outside, when its 90 degrees and sunny, but it doesn't do it every time I start it. I am stumped, any help?

Also, if it makes a difference, I've already cleaned the throttle body and all sensors in it, so that shouldn't be the problem.

russ6570 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 1, 2008