Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
That is some character-granting rust right there.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Maybe you should consider some feminine hygiene products.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Where is your Hi-Lift mounted exactly? That's not bolted to the hood is it? :psyduck:

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I did the same thing, except I didn't buy the fancy rack. I made one that uses the hood hinges, replacing one of the hinge bolts with a bolt running up with the threads sticking out, a couple of nuts to clamp the hinge, a stainless 2" spacer, some washers and wing nuts.

Why exactly does a hi-lift on the hood warrant a :psyduck:?

Maybe it's just me, but a 15-20lb jack on an light piece of sheet metal just doesn't seem very safe for that piece of metal.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Octavio Barnaby Sr. posted:

The hood is tougher than you might think.
Mine flew up going 55mph the other day and wasn't really damaged badly enough for me to care.

I guess I'm just paranoid.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Where did you find such a large one?

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Disciple of Pain posted:

It seems neat, but I really fail to see the purpose. Another example of the overall pussification of the "jeep" attitude.

If you need to disconnect/reconnect your sway bar.... You probably have two seconds to pop out of the truck and use manual disconnects. In all likelyhood you should also be airing down... When you want to reconnect you will be airing back up...

Seems like it would only be effective if your daily commute involves the need for maximum flex and also fairly high-speed highway/city cornering and you can't be bothered to disco manually?

Since when is "Being neat" not enough reason to do something?

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I've towed several Ford Probes around with a 91 Cherokee Pioneer (Or is it a 90? I can't remember) with over 280k miles on it, with no issues. In excess of 150 miles at least one trip.

The only issue it had was the obvious gas mileage issue.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Pacific Rim Job posted:

I haven't had any problems. If you're on uneven ground it won't reconnect right away, and the dash light will blink at you until it manages to do so. Moving somewhere flatter always works so far.

I don't see why you WOULDN'T want an electronic disconnect. I put it back while I'm on the dirt access roads and then disconnect it again when I get to another trail or obstacle. Why get out of the vehicle constantly when it's freezing out?

To be a MAN! RAWR!

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
My 00's only problem is, as my OBDII scanner tells me "MISFIRE CYLINDER 01/06" with 18xk miles on it

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Just look at every Jeep in your area for sale.

You'll know when you've found the right one. They speak to you.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Move the tires to the front and put new tires on the rear would be my opinionated suggestion. Rear tires keep you going the direction you want to go in.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I have a lot of drift in my Cherokee, and our old Cherokee had a lot of drift. I've only driven the two, so I can't speak beyond that. (an '00 now and before a '90)

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I finally bought the good drill bits I needed and finished making my Hi-Lift jack mount for my roof rack.

I don't have pictures of it yet, since I'm a slacker, but it's nice. And gets it out of the back seat.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
What broken state do you live in where you can't buy a car and take possession within about two seconds of all the paperwork being done at the dealer/the title being handed to you by the previous owner?

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Rob them. :colbert:

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I learned how to use a manual transmission on my first motorcycle, a 600CC supersport. I think it took me about 15-20 minutes the first or second day of December with snow and ice all over to get a good feel for it.

Edit:

I unlazied myself for a bit - Here's a view of the roof rack mount I made for my (off-brand) high lift jack

Along with the axe and shovel that give my grandmother miniature heart attacks every time she sees them because they're "weapons" and I'm going to go to jail for them one of these days, she's sure of it.

Aran fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 14, 2008

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Don't forget the suction cup rings they sometimes leave

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
If I didn't have my Civic, I wouldn't have my Jeep anymore (Or at least on the road), as it's pretty painful to drive with gas at $4 a gallon.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I still have this lovely random CEL which throws three codes - Multiple cylinder misfire, cylinder one misfire, and cylinder six misfire. It then falls into limp home mode, and after a quick clearing of codes with my lovely OBDII scanner, it runs fine for another 2-400 miles and then tells me it has an issue again.

It's a 2000 XJ with 183k miles. The previous owner replaced all the spark plugs and wires a few months before selling it with platinum, which I've read can cause... well, that issue.

I've run some Seafoam through it, which let me go almost 700 miles without that popping up, and I've cleaned the plugs and wires.

Now, without telling me the obvious of replacing the plugs and wires, since I'm broke (okay, not broke, but getting low enough that that's not at the top of my priorities) is there anything else I should look at?

I think I brought this issue up earlier in the thread, but if I did, whatever was suggested didn't work.

Tomorrow is dedicated to "Try and fix everything wrong with the cars", so I expect to get up early, spend an hour working on one thing, then giving up and going for a motorcycle ride and enjoying the beautiful weather for the rest of the day.

(Seriously, I hate my cars so much right now.)

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

MrZig posted:

^^
The 4.0L definitely loves basic plugs. Special plugs will make it run worse, so it could definitely be that. Sorry to tell you the obvious, heh.

Why I oughta... :p

Thanks for the confirmation.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Special.

I went to remove the spark plugs to check them... and my spark plug socket won't fit down in the wells.

Also, I may be retarded, or misheard him, but I could have sworn he said platinum plugs AND wires... the 2000 doesn't have regular wires, or a distributor, and it didn't occur to me even posting here.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Specialer.

Driving down the road tonight, it started to bog down every time I'd take pressure off the gas pedal (it's an automatic, by the way), like it was about to stall. Came to a red light.... it stalled on me. So I had to push it off the road and coax it into starting again, which it didn't want to until I put it in neutral and tried. Then, I had to hold slight pressure on the gas pedal to keep it running, or it'd stall again. Then it threw a cylinder 6 misfire code (Always have my scanner handy when I drive it) which I cleared, as one problem at a time is enough.

Fortunately, it stayed running long enough to get home, maybe a mile drive, with a few stop signs along the way, without stalling on me.

Any ideas what might have caused this to happen, or what I could do to fix it?

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just ordered the TPS for my cherokee. Hopefully I can start getting her squared away for the Big bend trip.

Now I would like to introduce you to the cummins diesel powered Jeep.
http://www.armyjeeps.net/2000special/2000_special_wrangle.htm

Yes please.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

leica posted:

Western New York.

And I know what you mean by being carefull, after I finished cutting up the tree I had a hard time getting out of that spot. But as long as I'm on the grounds I have a safety net in case I get stuck:

Where in WNY? I'm from Jamestown and can't think of where that could be.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
My XJ came out of California... and has spent a year here in PA.

I don't want to look under it more than I have to.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I paid $2200 for mine with about $3k in aftermarket parts with 180k miles on it.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

with 44000 miles, one previous owner, and all service records, for 1 k
pic:

I will gladly take that hunk of junk off your hands for $1,001.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Our '90 has the same issue. We just put a switch on it.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Yeah, I dread renting car dollies with my Jeep (Ought to just buy one at the rate I need them... Stupid older cars) because I always get the "You can't tow with that, our system says so, and I've never heard of a Jeep that can tow a car."

Not even a hesitation on the Jeep's part, just keeps chugging right along.

Now, shut up and rent me the dolly. :argh:

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
"This vehicle is a piece of crap, do you think it's worth it guys?"

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

Ninja Dan posted:

Alright, maybe you guys can give me he a hand here. I have a 93 Cherokee, and the lock on the driver side door is jammed. They are manual locks, when I press the switch on the inside it's stubborn and doesn't feel like it's moving anything in the door. When I press the button it offers a little resistance the first time you hit(after messing with the lock) and then subsequent presses offer no resistance. I'm considering using a slim jim or a coat hanger to get it open if it's possible but I dunno where to buy a slim jim... so I figured if anyone knew how to do this it'd be you guys.

Advance Auto Parts has them for like $8 in their random accessories/tools section

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Don't buy it, it'll eat you.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I just drove 90 miles in my XJ and used just under a half tank.

If it weren't so drat comfy (And if my Civic didn't have a flat tire) it would be a driveway queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

jonathan posted:

Are the later years OBDII ? I wonder if tuners are available with a more efficient engine program. Don't really NEED 195 horsepower all the time.

Yes, just like anything else, OBDII after '96.

And it's a good thing, too, because I get a CEL CONSTANTLY, and hate having to jump pins to reset it.