Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Catalytic converter is glowing red hot.

Managed to nurse it back home, what's the first thing I do tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

CommieGIR posted:

Either it is plugged or you are pumping unburned fuel into it. Are all your sensors working? What vehicle are you driving and what year? Did it smell like rotting eggs or sulfur?

90 YJ, 2.5L, so no sensors. Exhaust is coming out of the end pipe just fine, and no weird smell, just slight burning oil.

A spark plug not firing, maybe?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Emissions have to be checked regularly in Denver. I'm seeing cats for about $100 on quadratec, should I just pull and swap?

I've also had an exhaust leak for quite some time, maybe I should just replace my entire exhaust system, I can't imagine it will cost more than a few hundred dollars.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
No.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90382

goddamn sexy. and for sale.

Newer Jeep wheels look pretty amazing on that.

Also, I had a pretty :black101: weekend. Drove to Granby to visit the folks for an early Father's Day, they went to a charity thing in another town on Saturday morning, leaving me to tool around the mountain. I promptly get roadblocked by a melt-off marsh that is too slick to power out of. While turning around I get my front end hooked on a goddamn log. I'm by myself, I left my winch solenoid at home, and the folks are gone so the chance of rescue by tractor is nil, so I hike down the mountain in my tevas in search of the household chainsaw. I can't find the chainsaw in the house, garage, wood shed, or machine shed.

However, I do find an axe and a comealong. Hike back to the Jeep, chop up that loving log listening to Andrew WK, and flatten some saplings on my way out of the marsh. I'm kind of glad I was by myself, as my friends probably would not have found the whole ordeal as fun as I did.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

ThinkFear posted:

Wait, why did you remove the winch solenoid? Just mount it under the hood if you don't like the way it looks.

I just haven't put it on yet. :doh: I'll most likely mount it under the hood, probably attached to the wheel well or something. There's tons of space.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
So I finally finished that thing I started building three years ago.

Took it for a celebratory romp through the mountains before it rusts into the ground

Yeah, that last one is a photoshop. But don't for one second think that I'm not going to kinkos tomorrow to print a large version of that logo and make it into a cardboard stencil. That poo poo is happening.

I'm just disappointed I didn't get a chance to use my winch :(

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 20, 2010

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Can anyone recommend a good cab cover/quick weather top that would fit over a lightbar similar to the one pictured below?

My lightbar is about 2-3 inches shorter than that.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

My bestop supertop folds down and up very quickly. I should get a video of myself putting it up/taking it down someday. I would recommend it over a weather cover/cab cover.

Or did you mean you want to cover the windshield?

1) The top I have for the jeep is the factory top, not a supertop, which is MUCH more frustrating to put up. The supertop isn't accurate to the jeep, so I can't have it!
2) I just want something to throw on in less than 5 minutes when I park for work or when the jeep is in the garage so it doesn't get filled with saw dust.

I had a supertop originally, and it was awesome. But it had to go.

SPARED NO EXPENSE. :smithicide:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

true the supertop is harder to put up- what I was getting at is that I dont consider it hard.

My bad, I was trying to say the factory top is much more frustrating than the Supertop.

commissargribb posted:

I don't know what you mean about it not being "accurate". Mine was made for (and thus correct for) my range of years. As long as you don't go out and buy a JK top you should be fine.

Supertop hardware

Factory hardware

Hardware in film

loving movie crew not knowing how soft top hardware should be properly folded up on a jeep. :argh:

ThinkFear posted:

I'm assuming that the light bar and windshield frame have a gap between them the majority of the way down. A besttop all weather trail cover will fit if you can pass it between the light bar and windshield down to the height of the wiper blades. Goes on/off in less than a minute. Order from Amazon if you can, they're very accommodating with returns.

Yeah the space between the lightbar and the windshield frame completely goes away about halfway down the windshield, much higher than would be practical for a cab cover.

The amazon idea is good, though. I'll try a few out and see if I can make them work in a way that's acceptable to me.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Brake light on the YJ wont turn off, been like that since April or so. Plenty of brake fluid. Can't get the thing tested for emissions until it's fixed (seriously). Where do I start?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Gonna venture a guess that the little metal rod with the spring on it is supposed to be much longer? Brake is engaged in that photo.

Does that sound about right?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Brake light was fixed through wiggling. I love jeeps, wiggling fixes so much stuff.\

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

I'm a jeep owner - I have like 10

I hate torx bits. When possible, I replace them with hex bolts

:v: (roommate)
:reject: (me walking out of garage with breaker bar)
:v: the hell is that?
:reject: the most efficient, most reliable means of stripping torx bolts known to man

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I hate torx bolts.

:black101:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Put the top up (minus windows) for the first time this year.

I'm weak.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Just tried to fold my windshield down today. The windshield came done, but the hinges did not move. :ohdear:

Buying a new set right now just in case, $64, gently caress me!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Braincloud posted:

Ha ha ha, because I was 600 miles away from home. If I'da had someplace local to leave them, they would have been off. But, to alleviate your disdain, I got home yesterday and they're sitting in my apartment right now. :D

I cannot wait until I have a garage all to myself. I am going to buy every single piece of "jeep part storage" equipment that quadratec sells!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Sure as hell hope it doesn't rain today.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

I don't usually put on my doors or windows for the rain but I see you have a minty fresh JP jeep that you probably don't want wet.

Say- if you were in a wreck, would that be considered "Dino-Damage(R)"?

Interior of the jeep is rhinolined, I'm more concerned about having to drive home with wetbutt. Tilting the seatback forward and throwing a windbreaker over the seat only does so much.

edit: nothing but blue skies from now on

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Bucephalus posted:

I pulled my dead wiper motor in the parking lot at work today, and the windshield stays folded down until I get a new motor.

Your move.

Tried folding my windshield down last week, hinges stuck but the metal bent. Windshield is coming off as soon as new hinges arrive.

:clint:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
"New" retreaded tires for my Wrangler arrive tomorrow! Upping from 29s to 31s! Cross fingers for no rubbing!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Three perfect All-Terrain T/As were dropped off by FedEx today, accompanied by this.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Bucephalus posted:

Are they all the same tread, but with 1 oddball carcass?

Correct. :smith:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Rhyno posted:

That sucks dude but it is kind of funny. Maybe you could just paint over those letters with black paint? Or put them on opposite wheels with the letters on the inside?

Nah I'll be returning it. I specifically chose this retread place -South Dakota, FUUUUCK- because they would give me the sidewalls I wanted for the tires to be as close to accurate as possible (BFGs aren't stamped with "Radial" anymore). I was very specific with what I asked for, and they screwed up. Not a big problem, I was just really hoping to go up to Granby this weekend.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Kind of funny, you can mix and match sidewalls with tread patterns. I could conceivably get the BFG All Terrain stamping with a tread pattern that, I don't know, doesn't suck in snow? Or is better on fuel efficiency. I went with what's accurate, but I'll always wonder...

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 14, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Coincidentally, last fall I was weeding in the back yard of our lovely rental house and found that there was a giant bush growing through this.

It's sized for something like a tiny trailer, but it was interesting to actually see one. I asked TreadWright if they could create their own stamping or retread tires from the correct era, but they will only retread tires that are X number of years old. Understandable, but disappointing.

edited for bold

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
So I've got my new windshield brackets all painted and good to go, time to remove the old ones!

I the remaining torx bolts are either about to become stripped, or they are spinning but not coming out. Suggestions? Do I need to go out and snag an impact driver or is that going to be the best way to ensure I NEVER get these loving bolts out ever?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

The bottom ones? I drilled them out and replaced them with hex heads and painted over.

I thought the bolt just went into threaded parts of the metal, are there nuts behind the lower bracket?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

pretty much. Get friendly with a large slotted screwdriver (they're pretty good at chippy away the sealer)

Jesus. How do you even get to the nuts? Remove the dash panel?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Veeb0rg posted:

The nuts are most likely spot welded to the body, there should be no need to get a wrench on em *unless you break the spotwelds*

Well, the torx bolts are spinning and not coming out at all...

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Rhyno posted:

Quite possibly.

Most definitely. That picture was snapped by a goon in April 2010 and then somehow made its way to reddit this last June.

The first time we transported the cube back in... 2008? I can't remember. Jeep wasn't done.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 18, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

commissargribb posted:

There was really so much of that sealant crap that it was nearly impossible to slip a wrench over the nut end.

Drilled out a few tonight. I got maybe a 1/8 of an inch down the bolt beyond the head when I realized that the only thing hold the nut on was that sealant stuff. So I used a hammer and thin chisel and *POP*

Got four more to go.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

My roommate's got one of these and he put it on his back window. I tried to explain that you don't put a manufacturers plate on loving glass, but he didn't get it.

loving love that thing, though. Someone should cast them up for reals.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Yesterday I met the smartest man alive.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Just got back from Fastenal.

Goodbye, every torx screw.

Hi there, socket caps!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

InitialDave posted:

Why would you do this?

Because they are supposed to be painted. Otherwise yeah I would have gone with hex heads.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Oh weird. I have never had that happen with a socket cap.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Nevermind, got it.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
What the Maui Jeep rental company doesn't know, can't hurt them.

god I hope housekeeping doesn't steal my doors