Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My poor XJ started having cooling problems, steaming and barfing coolant everywhere this weekend, so I ended up bringing it into the shop since it was beyond my skillset. They replaced the water pump and thermostat, did a coolant flush, and they had to replace a rusty pipe (thanks salty winter roads).

Got a pretty good deal on everything, and on top of that, they managed to somehow fix my belt squealing issues. Everything feels and sounds so much better now.

Now maybe I should pick up some loving rain guards for this thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My poor 99 XJ's transmission suddenly leaked out after I parked it once a couple weeks ago. :(

It's in the shop now. I'll know tomorrow whether it's a simple failing gasket or if it needs a total rebuild. If it's a rebuild, I don't think I can afford to fix it. :ohdear:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kastein posted:

Symptoms? Those are pretty bulletproof.

Transmission fluid starts boiling and leaking out of the pan (more like pouring) when I drive for more than a few minutes.

I got back in touch with the shop - turns out it's not the transmission at all. He even said the transmission looked good aside from needing a fluid change anyway. It's that the radiator isn't properly cooling the fluid, so that's why it's boiling out.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally got my XJ through the car wash and got emissions tested. It failed, but only because the codes just got reset, so I have to drive it a little more and then bring it back in a couple days. No problem.

It felt really good to vacuum it out after not giving it a proper cleaning in so long.

We have to move in a few weeks, but once that's done and I've de-stressed a bit, I'm going to take some time to replace the sagging headliner.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I got sick of the scuffed up steering wheel on my XJ and took a chance on a cheapo leather stitch on wheel cover: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PC0G07A/ It turned out awesome and was exactly what I wanted:

The feeling is fantastic and it doesn't add much bulk at all to the wheel (maybe an extra 1/8" thicker, you would never know if you stepped in the car for the first time). You have to stitch it on so it takes a little while to install (was about 1.5 hours) but it's not hard and it comes with the needle and thread. I followed this video and used the same technique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTYON_kQ13U

In particular for the edge that goes by the steering wheel controls I put fake stitches on the front (just out and back the front layer) so it looks a little more finished vs. just leaving it raw. For $9 this is a heck of a nice cover and fits the XJ's ~14" wheel perfectly. It does take a little finessing to get the cover over your wheel--I found getting it started and then 'rolling' it on worked the best. Tight fit but that's good because when it's all sewn on it form fits to the wheel.

That looks pretty awesome! I might have to order one of these.

Also, seeing your stereo reminds me that I should put in an aftermarket stereo myself. I wonder if there are any decent ones that can play MP3's off a flash drive or SD card?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Emissions retest passed :woop: Now I can finally update the registration on this thing!

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I put in the Pioneer MVH-MX580BS, it's a top pick for bluetooth receiver from The Wirecutter: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-car-stereo-receiver/ Found mine on sale at Best Buy for $69 a few months ago and jumped on the deal. Have been super happy with it--bluetooth works great for listening to music from phone and it has a front aux in and USB port. No CD player but I like it that way (less complex, simpler interface and who wants to carry a binder of CDs anymore). I highly recommend it. The 380BT would be fine too but I couldn't find it anywhere and I kind of like with the 580BS you can change the display color to anything so I spent some time tweaking it to try to match the blue-green glow of the XJ's gauges.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I figure it'll be a fun project to work on after getting all the important things fixed.

Do you need to buy a trim plate for it, too? I don't know if these stereos come in standard sizes or whatever.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Yep you'll want a single DIN adapter trim plate and grab a wiring harness too. Any car stereo shop should have them, or even Amazon sells them these days:
- Trim piece: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-6000-Installation-1974-2003-Chrysler/dp/B00029X1O6 (there are other styles though, look around and you can see some without the little slot for storage)
- Wiring harness: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1817-Harness-Chrysler-1984-2006/dp/B0002BF0DE/

Only gotcha with wiring it up is that ground isn't connected to the wiring harness that plugs in to the vehicle. There's a separate thick power and ground wiring harness you need to tap into for the ground. If you already have an aftermarket stereo very likely the previous installer already broke it out as a wire to the old harness.

I'm still on the stock radio after all these years. I'll have to read up on how to tap into the ground without killing myself.

Actually, one of the top reviews for that wiring harness mentions this exact issue, so maybe it's not as difficult as I think:

Amazon reviewer posted:

I used this harness for my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the the Infinity system, to install an aftermarket stereo. It worked well, except for one thing. These Jeeps provide a separate ground wire that attaches to the back chassis of the original stereo. Because of this, these Metra harnesses do not include a ground wire connection. However, most aftermarket stereo harnesses do include a ground wire. What to do? To avoid having to splice the separate ground wire of your Jeep, I would recommend getting an 12 a gauge male tab connector to attach to the harness ground wire of your new stereo, which you can use to insert into the female connector of your Jeep. Metra should have included one I this package. Minus one star for not including one.

e: Found a forum online mentioning this as well, the first post shows an image with the ground connector on the old stereo. I assume that black tab with the black wire is what I'll expect to find behind the stereo:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/aftermarket-radio-ground-wire-question-1927321/

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 10, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Yep exactly and that's how I wired mine up too. If you get a male quick disconnect it can crimp on your harness wire and slide into the stock connector, like grab a variety pack and one of the flat male quick disconnects should be able to slot in: http://www.harborfreight.com/150-piece-terminal-and-connector-set-67683.html

Sweet, I have a bunch of those QDs in various sizes leftover from other electronics projects. I'm sure at least one will work.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yay, finally got the registration and plates updated! Now I probably won't get pulled over! :woop:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I just happened to find a can of spray adhesive while I was cleaning out the storage closet under the stairs, so I won't have to buy a new can when I replace the headliner! It's the little things in life.

mod sassinator posted:

Did the rear drum brake overhaul in my XJ over the weekend and it wasn't too bad a job. Luckily the old drums came right off without any trouble. There was only one mystery washer that I was left with after swapping in all new parts. Only the passenger side seemed to have it, the driver side didn't have one. I can't remember exactly what it was from--I think it was behind one of the shoe springs. The set of rebuild hardware I got didn't have a washer like it so I left it out. Brakes seem fine and work perfectly. Also got to finally fix my ebrake cables--the passenger side was totally broken in a couple spots and even the self adjuster spring inside it had snapped. I can finally park on hills again and not worry. :)

I remember changing out my rear drum brakes a few years ago and getting confused by all the springs and other doodads in there, but I managed to figure it out. It was a fun challenge, at the very least. :v:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, this is weird. Since this weekend, my XJ's oil pressure gauge has been randomly dropping to 0 for a few seconds at a time when driving, and then shooting back up to normal levels. I checked the oil level and it looked a little low (just below the Safe zone) so I added in a quart just to be on the safe side. No changes to the gauge behavior after that. The oil is still pretty clean since I had it changed when everything else was fixed a few weeks ago. There aren't any leaks; I've been checking under my car almost every time I drive just to make sure. And even when the gauge drops and stays at 0 for several seconds, I don't feel or hear any difference in the way the car is driving or sounding.

The reading I'm doing suggests it might be time to replace the oil pressure sending unit. Does that sound right? It looks like a super easy fix. I hope it's that and not the pump or something.

e: Also, is there a recommended place to order parts online? I keep seeing commercials for RockAuto and I didn't know if they were legit.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's exactly what I do, and yeah rockauto is legit. The problem does sound like an oil pressure sensor, which is indeed a cheap and easy fix

Keep in mind there are two different sensors: one if your dash has a dummy light, one if it's got a real pressure gauge.

Oh, good to know. My dash has the real gauge (i.e. a needle that goes from 0 to 80 with a little oil can in the middle) and if it hits 0 the Check Gauges light comes on.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Huh... Check Engine light came on yesterday. Same behavior as last week, no change in how the car drives or sounds, no leaks, but still seeing the oil gauge drop to 0 randomly while driving. Seems there is an ODB-II code for a bad oil pressure sensor, so I'm guessing that's what caused it, and it just takes several miles or start cycles for it to register or something.

I tried the on-off-on-off-on trick to try to flash codes on the odometer, but I didn't get anything. It's cool. I'll order a new sensor once I'm done moving this weekend, and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So here's a question - where the crap can I mount my phone in my XJ? I would like to be able to mount it for GPS in my peripheral vision and not lose a cupholder. But I can't think of a good place for it. Even just sitting in the driver's seat and looking at where I would comfortably and safely glance at a map on my phone, nothing jumps out at me.

I also want to stay away from those dumb vent mount clips. I hate those so much.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions for stuff so far! Since I have some extra cash and I'm finally done moving to a new place, I'm about to order the oil pressure sensor along with a steering wheel cover and a phone mount.

Aeryk posted:

I just fixed my left front speaker by punching the radio face after loving with the wiring for 3 hours.

:lol: I got mad at one of my speakers when it started crackling and hit it a few times. That seemed to get it working again, but eventually it died for real. Percussive maintenance :hellyeah:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The new oil pressure sensor I bought for my XJ is the right size but has this... blue plastic sheath on the inside of the plug with tabs sticking out of it? if that makes sense? So it doesn't fit into the electrical plug on the engine block. The plug is otherwise the right size and has the 3 metal prongs inside for the connection. I don't think there's a way to pry out the plastic, so I guess I have to get a sensor that doesn't have this insert. That's annoying.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wow. Someone in my apartment complex left a Jeep '84-'01 Haynes manual for me on my windshield. I haven't bought one of these yet, so that is awesome.

I just can't stop feeling like someone looked at it and thought it looked like a pile of poo poo, and they're being passive-aggressive about it.

Well, either way, free book! :woop:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My XJ is having starting issues. Sometimes it'll take a few cranks to start. It gets a good crank so I don't think it's the battery. Maybe it's the fuel pump or something?

I'm also occasionally getting weird shifting issues while driving; the car will occasionally buck hard when shifting gears, and sometimes RPMs will drop really low for a second when idle and on rare occasions will stall the car completely.

I don't really have any money to work on or fix this right now (still paying off the last work I had done on it a month ago) so I'm stressing out hard here. :( I just hope the thing keeps starting for now.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Has the crank position sensor ever been replaced? That's a super common failure as XJ's get up in age and it causes symptoms like you see. For me when my CPS was going it would take longer to start (cranked fine but like you saw it just wasn't firing over) and I'd get random stalls while idling at stop lights. It will eventually get worse until the car just won't start. The part isn't super expensive and is moderately annoying to change yourself (lots of wobble extensions help, and be super careful not to drop a bolt or the sensor in the bell housing): http://greatlakesxj.activeboard.com/index.spark?aBID=43793&p=3&topicID=24211453

The only other slow start issue I had was the starter bolt not being tight and starting to move away from the flywheel and not make good contact. That's super easy to just look under the Jeep and see the starter is tightly bolted to the bracket and making good contact with flywheel.

The CPS was actually what I just had replaced, so looks like I need to call up the shop and tell them to do it right this time. :argh: Thankfully they do offer guarantees on their work so they won't charge me again for the same job so soon.

What sucks is that it was working fine for a few days after I got it back from the shop and then, just like you said, the symptoms started coming back and are slowly getting worse.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Oh yeah I'd take it back for sure, a bad CPS could cause problems like you see. I've heard a lot of folks have had problems with the super cheap CPS sensors. I went with a NAPA one that cost a little more than the cheapo ones but has been working fine for 5+ years now. Some folks swear by only using dealer/factory CPS sensors.

Yeah I try not to cheap out on parts nowadays. I'll at least go midrange on stuff, and I'll feel confident I'm getting something that won't disintegrate or cast a hex on my engine or something. So far so good.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah for me my throttle position sensor starting to go out appeared as the idle RPM sometimes shooting way up past 1k RPM when I put the car in park or neutral. Normal driving was fine, but put it in park and woooosh it would rev right up. If I tapped the throttle when it was in that state it would drop back down to normal 500 RPM or so idle. Swapped in a new TPS and haven't had any problems in the last 3-4 months. That one is really easy to change and just takes a few minutes and hand tools (IIRC there's a torx bit that holds the TPS on the throttle). Make sure to pull the negative battery terminal and let it rest for 10 mins, then reconnect and restart after swapping in a new TPS so the ECU can relearn it too (forgot to do that and had all kinds of wonky idling after putting in the new sensor--oops).

Oh, I think I've actually disconnected and cleaned off my TPS before, which helped a lot. Might be time to just get a new one. I had the same problem with weird idling for a few drive cycles after I did that.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So I really want to get some proper gear I can use to do diagnostics on my XJ, 'cause I'm sick of guessing and giving up and taking it to the shop and spending way too much money.

Like, this time around it was the distributor that needed to be replaced, and just reading instructions online I could have definitely replaced this myself. Had I been able to do some testing and confirm it was the distributor, I could have saved a lot of money.

I'd like to pick up an OBD2 reader since I can't ever seem to do the start-stop trick to get codes to flash on the odometer. And I guess some electrical testing equipment might be good? I'm not sure where to start beyond that.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Pick up a Haynes manual, it has pretty good diagnostic and troubleshooting info. That and the factory service manual (search around online and you can probably fine a PDF for your model year stashed somewhere) are a pretty good combo. As far as electronics go there really isn't a lot of computer stuff that's going to tell you what's wrong with the XJ. The OBD2 stuff is just going to throw codes for emissions related stuff like O2 sensors. I doubt a bad distributor is going to throw a code that can be easy to find the cause (I'm guessing you'd get a misfire and maybe that throws a related code of some sort, or maybe not). A simple $50 code reader from Harbor Freight should be enough: https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/obii-code-reader-62142.html A basic digital multimeter is never a bad idea to get too: https://www.harborfreight.com/11-function-digital-multimeter-with-audible-continuity-61593.html Neither are going to be a magic bullet that instantly points to your problem (in most cases)--it's going to be a process of elimination looking at all the symptoms, the systems related to them, possible failure modes for those systems, and then trying to inspect and isolate related parts to see if they're functioning correctly. That's where a service manual and lots of searching on XJ, Jeep, etc. forums will help.

Something else that a Haynes manual is useful for is getting into a good groove of regular maintenance. A distributor failure probably shouldn't happen if you're replacing the rotor, cap, spark plug wires, and spark plugs regularly (every 50k miles or so IIRC). Getting in to do that maintenance yourself is a good time and excuse to inspect a lot of things and keep an eye out for new problems that are starting to occur.

Thanks for the advice! I actually do have a digital multimeter in my toolkit somewhere, and someone recently gifted me a Haynes manual. I really should be doing regular preventative maintenance instead of just reacting to problems as they occur.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Something fun happened to my drivers' seat! The metal plate surrounding the bolts that hold the seat in place rusted away, and a few of them gave way and broke off! So now I have to keep the back seats folded down to prop up the drivers' seat while I drive! :v:

If it was just the bolts that broke, I could just replace them, but it's the metal around the bolts that wore away. I might be able to get away with putting some large washers on the bolts so it has something to hold down. Not sure what else to do about it right now.

e: '99 XJ

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 6, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My turn signals aren't working properly. It'll click on for a few seconds at a time, then go off. I think I need to replace the signal relay, which I guess is that box-shaped fuse/relay/whatever that's under and to the left of the steering column, behind the dashboard? I've seen a couple videos and it seems like an easy enough replacement.

I also *really* need to get new tires. And fix the trunk latch. And reupholster the roof.

My poor Jeep. :(

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Replacement flasher ordered. Next thing I get should be new tires and an alignment.

I think fixing up my XJ will be my big summer project. I would *really* like to hang onto it as long as possible since so many people I've talked to say a '99 XJ is just a great model year.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

New flasher relay was delivered early so I put that in this weekend. No more praying to the Jeep gods to get my turn signals to work! :v: I also fixed my sticking trunk latch, which was a *long* time coming; I was just too lazy to get it done.

New tires are next on the list. That'll happen when I get paid this weekend.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Any tips on replacing the headliner in an XJ? That's probably the next thing I'll be doing after getting new tires. I've already pulled out all the old fabric since it was sagging in several spots and I was getting angry at it.

Looks like I'll have to swing by JoAnn Fabrics sometime in the next couple weeks. They sell the foam-backed fabric. And it looks like 3M spray adhesive is my best bet if I don't want it falling off in a month.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I think it varies a little by year what material is underneath - the earlier years have a very soft fiberglass mat that a wire brush would tear apart, the later years have a more solid board underneath. If you have the soft earlier model, I hear you can get a tub of something like fiberglass boat hull patch/sealer and smooth it on the mat to get a firmer surface to adhere the fabric to. Either way, think of the headliner as two parts - the sound/heat insulation and the fabric. You don't need to buy anything with foam on the back, you're just resurfacing the existing insulation layer.

I redid my 1988 and it wasn't all that bad. I didn't bother with any fiberglass goop. You'll want to remove all the ceiling trim pieces that hold your headliner in, and pull the whole thing out. I used about two cans of regular 3M adhesive (too cheap to spring for the headliner-specific stuff) and had a second person help me lay the material evenly on the mat. The material was about $7 worth of felt I found at WalMart; it was the exact tan color of my interior and extremely cheap. I had struck out at JoAnne and a couple local fabric shops. Don't stretch it over the edes so tightly it pulls itself off around the downward curves, just smooth it into the contours and let the adhesive dry completely before folding it over to the backside and gluing it. Mine has held perfectly for going on three or four years now despite being parked outside in SoCal summers and lots of long bumpy trips in the desert.

It's also a convenient time to run any cb/ham antenna cabling you might want.

I have a '99 with the soft fiberglass board. What should I use to clean the remaining foam off the board that won't destroy it?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This has been a long time coming - I need to figure out what to do about my A/C compressor. The clutch isn't engaging consistently. If I turn on the A/C, it *might* engage for a few seconds, but then it clicks off again. I've checked the R134a pressure and it's at normal levels. In fact, it hasn't budged for years, since I haven't had working A/C for years! :v:

Anything I can try before I think about taking it to a shop? (it's a 99 XJ)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kastein posted:

Pressure doesn't tell you how much is in the system until there is drat near nothing left in there. Why? Vapor pressure of a liquid at a certain temperature is constant no matter how much liquid is present.

However, those symptoms sound like one of two things.

1 - you could be low on r134a. Surprise! (Not.) Try jumping the compressor clutch directly from the battery, if it cheerfully kicks in and stays in, it's likely this. Either read motronics AC thread and recharge it yourself, or pay like 150 for a recharge.
2 - the clutch plate may be worn out of spec. If it didn't pass test 1, this is likely the answer, it's a common issue on high mileage Sanden sd709s like the one in XJs. Remove the small nut in the middle of the clutch, take out the tiny shim washer under it, put the nut back on and tighten it. DO NOT do this without performing the test above, you may reduce the clutch airgap too much if it was fine before and you didn't test it.

Thanks! I found the thread. I suppose I'll look into buying or renting a manifold gauge set, then.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Aeryk posted:

The manifold is only 60 bux at harbor freight

Is it good? Can you attach a can of refrigerant to it to fill the system, or is it just used for measuring high and low pressure?

e: oh, right, you also need to get a can tap. I think a lot of these 1* reviewers are idiots since they don't mention can taps.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Hey! I'm replacing (or looking to replace) my front PCV/CCV/whatever (the valve/fittings on top of the valve cover) on my '00 XJ (4.0L 4x4 Auto), and what rock auto sent me ... may not be right, but I'm not sure it matters.

So - picture attached, and the basic question - the piece appears to be correct except that it has a vertical riser that the old piece didn't, does this matter? It throws me for a loop, because it makes it look more like the piece at the rear, but the inside appears to match the function (as I understand it, the rear is actually a valve, the front is basically a fitting with no flow restriction). So, it's wide open inside, as is the existing one, it's just taller, like the rear one is. The existing piece in my jeep (with a Mopar part number on it, as opposed to the new one, which is Airtex) goes horizontal immediately above the flat surface, this one has more like a 1" rise.

Since it's just adapting airflow in, I don't think it matters, but wanted to check before I blow up my Jeep.

I replaced one of these in my Jeep a few years ago. It's a crankcase vent tube. I forget exactly what happened to my old one; I think the old plastic broke when I was trying to adjust a hose or something.

As long as it fits on both ends, you can use it. You already checked the internals and it's the same function, so you should be good to go.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

Now that I’m getting a handle on reliability ( :smithicide: ) I’m starting to line up cosmetic goals and looking into flat/tube fenders. Who’s got a tj with them and do you like them or no? How was install? I’m not looking to cut my hood for highlines right now - but other than that I’m pretty open because Florida allows whatever mad max mashup vehicle you can put on the road.

I'm curious about this as well. My OG plastic fenders are starting to fall off and look like poo poo. The tube fenders have a much more minimalist look that I enjoy.

I'm just not sure what needs to be done about the metal plates underneath.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oof, I had a breakdown on my way home from work a couple nights ago. Gears suddenly wouldn't shift anymore, and *something* sprung a leak and was spraying what looked like rusty water or oil onto my radiator, making a huge white plume. The engine stalled when I pulled over and came to a stop.

I was considering just giving up and looking for another car at that point, but I slept on it and decided to have it fixed up again since I really shouldn't be trying to buy a whole car right now, and it's far less hassle to bring it to the shop. Besides, I have too much drat history with this XJ. :argh:

After this fix, I really need to buckle down and just start cleaning/replacing anything that looks worn or rusted.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mechanic called back. Sounds like one of the engine freeze plugs corroded to the point where it failed. :yikes: At least I was correct when I assumed it was coolant-related! So they're replacing it, doing a coolant flush, and also replacing some cracked hoses (which I was planning to do anyway so that's fine). The quote was much less than I expected for my budget.

He also mentioned a few other things that need to be done, but it was all stuff I regularly do myself and it would have doubled the quote, so I opted out. I'll take care of it next weekend.

I really gotta find some pick-and-pull places already.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got the XJ back today, everything's running good. No more coolant spewing out. The mechanic also gave me a list of recommended things to take care of soon. Gonna start working on that this weekend; I don't want to be changing fluids when it starts snowing.

I'm also going to clean off the engine, and take before-and-after pictures to show just how bad it is. It's pretty embarassing. :sweatdrop:

DJExile posted:

popping into AI to show yall this neat rear end old Willys that showed up at our office today.

That's pretty awesome, and would look :krad: after some restoration work.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been doing my own oil changes for years now, but something I always wondered for high-mileage engines in general (XJ specifically). Are there any recommended oil filters? I usually just get a Fram High Mileage filter at the nearby AutoZone, but I also find horror stories online from people that used Fram filters. Also, is it worth getting any additives for oil? I don't know if there is anything considered safe or particularly useful.

In case it matters, I use full synthetic.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Man, this is gonna sound weird, but my first box of cleaning supplies arrived, and these Tub O' Towels are fantastic. I just wiped down my entire kitchen with one of these things. They're like Lysol wipes on steroids. Can't wait to use them in my XJ.

...It's so easy to get excited over the most mundane poo poo when you're an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Weather is looking good for this weekend, so I should have ample time to clean my windshield and engine bay tomorrow. :getin: (Also gonna take care of the wife's Mazda's windshield while I'm at it.)

I need to remember to hit up the dollar store tomorrow for empty spray bottles and cheap paintbrushes.