Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
^^ Maybe it was just faster than the driver of the Mustang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Quick question: My heat sucks. The 1-2-3-4 fan positions work, and it speeds up accordingly, but the actual HEAT, sucks. As far as I can tell, it's stuck on one setting, defrost.

Also, here's a clue: my cruise control doesn't seem to work either.

I cannot locate the so-called "heater water control vacuum valve" or whatever in the engine bay, and I also cannot find where the vacuum lines go to, from the little vacuum box in the bumper.

It's simply stuck on pretty much "low-meadium defrost" and in december in alaska, that really sucks.

Any suggestions to what I should do? It's a '98 XJ that I love dearly, but the lack of heat is making me want to sell it.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Veeb0rg posted:

I Love my Jeep, didn't even flinch at the 18+ inches of snow we got today.

my hosting.

My XJ doesn't have a lift on it or anything, yet I've been pulling people out of their own loving driveways in the recent snow we got up here in Anchorage, AK.

When I bought it I thought it was just some beater I'd have for poo poo around town when I got back from my military bullshit, but it has served me way past than that.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Quick question: Where the gently caress is the fuel filter on my 98 4.0 XJ?

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
When it's almost at 1/4 level, it cuts fuel during hard acceleration or semi-sharp turning. Is this a normal thing with XJs? I know our cars have some finnicky things that we learn to love, is this one of them?

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

WildFoxMedia posted:

So, do all 4x4 WJs use Quadra-Trac or was it simply an additional option?

It looks like the Grand Cherokee im picking up tomorrow is a Quadra-Trac judging by the 3 position transfer-case shifter. Is Quadra-Trac well liked? Piece of poo poo? Any special Quadra-Trac related maintenance that needs to be done for a GC with 61k on the clock?

Isn't that the NV/NP247? The NP/NV (which name are they using now, gently caress) family of transfer cases used in all jeeps are very well built and will outlast the car if taken care of properly.

Just make sure you change that loving fluid once you get it. Oh and check the drive chain to see if it's stretched. If it is, then it will rub against the case and a major mechanical failure WILL occur. Changing it is relatively easy.

Don't let that scare you though, at 60k that case is just getting started.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Glynis27 posted:

Thing is, I don't think my jack and stands are even tall enough to reach the undercarriage. I have some 4x4 and 6x6 chunks of wood. Can I lift at the dif or is that bad? I'll take a better look at it tomorrow.

Use the shock mounting bracket part of your diffs as jack points for more support.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Question about lifting my XJ.
It's a '98 that has problems, and a reconstructed title. I don't feel like dropping $1500 on it just to get around 4" and 33s, considering that would be half of the realistic sale value.

I want a budget lift, but not just spacers. What would be the ideal way to go? It's stock now and with light-tread A/T tires it still goes everywhere I've taken it and hasn't gotten stuck. I'd like to spend around $300 and move up to at least 33s, maybe 35s.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Philip J Fry posted:

Lots of fender trimming. The rear is easy enough with an S-10 or Dakota leaf pack and some longer shackles but you'll have to even it out in the front somehow. Coils from a Grand Cherokee will net 1"-2" of lift depending on their condition.

4" is where you start getting into vibe issues with the driveshaft but can be alleviated with a hack-and-tap slip yoke eliminator or just a simple transfer case drop.

You will run into a lot of problems with 35's unless the u-joints, axle shafts, ring & pinion/gearing, brakes and steering are also upgraded. They are an entirely different animal from 33's when it comes to wear and tear on a Jeep's stock components.

Yeah, I'll need to rethink the tire size. How wide can I go before rubbing starts to be an issue?

How does 3" and 33x10.50 sound?
Tell me more about using S-10 or Dakota leaf packs. What sort of modification am I looking at? Other than different shackles, is it basically bolt in? Would I have to extend brake lines?

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
^^^
tell us how to do that for $50

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Slack3r posted:

Alrighty..
paint stuff

This is awesome.

Unfortunately, I am going to sell my '98 XJ, which brings me to my next question in this thread:

How much should I sell it for? It runs great, it's the 4.0 automatic with 118k miles on the odo. 1998, blue, only problem is it has some uniframe damage that doesn't really affect anything other than it having a reconstructed title.

edit: just fixed the heat and my god, i can't believe i've been driving around without heat or cruise control for a loving year when the fix was as simple as duct taping a broken vacuum hose.

Dividend Special fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 28, 2009

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Has anyone done an auto to manual transmission swap? I know ya'll are gonna bitch and say "wah just buy a manual one" but what if I love my jeep too much to part with it? It's been in the family for a really long time and I don't quite see it leaving just yet. Thought about selling it, but...no.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
just go to walmart and buy the poo poo there, what the gently caress

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

I Drink Stove Oil posted:

My Jeep on a clean day when not going on the beach or driving on abandoned roads or trails

Click here for the full 1404x1121 image.

Thanks, AI

Jims Creek?

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

fordham posted:

Use only Mopar in the automatic tranny! It's expensive but necessary Not sure about the transfer case, but I used mopar there too.

Why is this necessary? Dexron III works just fine.

ATF4+ in the transfer case works fine too. Why pay extra for the mopar name when there's things out there that works just as well, if not better?

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Philip J Fry posted:

The only major thing with 00-01 Cherokees is that some have the 0331 head castings which are prone to cracking.

I need to know more about this specific head castings being prone to cracking thing. I drive a '98 XJ. Will it be affected by this problem? What years were these heads defective? I can't find any solid info on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Quick question, what's the average MPG around here, with your XJs? I'm getting around 12-14 MPG in my XJ.