Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

renraku posted:

That is unspeakably cool.

Unspeakably rare, as all Forward control jeeps are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Pacific Rim Job posted:

We got a JK (08 Unlimited Rubicon 6spd) last week, took it out this weekend for some tame fun. With no one to pull us out if we got stuck, we didn't do anything that was likely to get us stuck. New front bumper with winch is on the way.

This was before we adorned the brand new paint with pinstripes when the trail narrowed. :D The flares are also scratched to poo poo, and that's how we like it.

Sup, Fellow red rock unlimited owner? I have an 07 unlimited in red rock myself.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Woot, i am tradeing my Hardtop for a Soft top tomarrow :D

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Jesus, they'll really take 33" stock? That seems like a stretch.

They have leafs all around, so lifts are cheap and easy.

JK's will take 33's stock.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

285/75/16's on stock wheels. 300 dollars for the full set, with a never used spare :D

I now have a budget boost (2") on it, and pillar lights.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
PROGRESS: I completely pulled the carpet out of my jeep today, when i get the money for Herculiner i can give it a nice couple coats.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Whats the best place to sell a jeep? I've got a 07 Wrangler 4 door with 65k miles that i want to sell for what i owe the bank on it. The only thing is i have to get the windsheild replaced, its got a dent in the bumper cover, and has about 10k miles left on the tires tread wise.

I tried craigslist and all i got were horribly worded emails which im guessing are spam.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
I'm pretty sure i just bought the last low mileage cherokee in existance. 58500 original miles. Its a 96. Carfax came back clean. I love it more than the wrangler JK its replacing.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Nevermind i found the emblems.

I am picking up a set of Neon injectors on friday when i get paid, and installing a CB in my jeep first.

Omg50BMG fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 19, 2011

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Cracked manifolds strike again! Luckily i have a warranty on this jeep and they cover it. I'm going to have my mechanic check the motor mounts too while hes under the hood. Although im not sure how bad they are in only 59K miles.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

Probably the oil pressure sending unit. They're notorious for going bad, and the oil gauge is just accurate enough to tell you if it's working or not anyway. Mine just started acting all weird, showing about half to a quarter the normal pressure. So under load it's at about 20 and when idling it pegs on the low side and sets off the CHECK GAUGES light. It's about a $25-$45 part depending on where you go and if it's OEM or not.

Finally decided I'm going to do a bit of building so that I can go out and play this spring/summer. Ordered a 3" Old Man Emu kit, Iron Rock double shear track bar, JKS discos, Brown Dog motor mounts (I can see daylight in the factory ones), Hella H4 headlamps, AJ's front and rear bumpers and a Warn 9.5ti winch. Sadly, AJ is backed up quite a bit so it'll probably be a while before I can even mount the drat thing. In a few weeks I'll have enough to order a SYE/CV from Tom Woods and get TnT's Y-link long arm/skid upgrade kit.

What jeep are you building up? Actually, saw it on the page before, nevermind. Steel blue really is the best color. I had a steel blue 97 that i got rid of. Should have just kept it since i came back to the cherokee anyway.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

They really are great little rigs. Light, roomy, durable, capable and dirt cheap since they've been out of production now for 10 years. Coils in the front and leafs in the back is absolutely perfect for weekend warrioring, which is pretty much what I'll be doing. It's a shame Daimler phased them out for the goddamned Liberty (no offense to the Liberty or its owners). Sure my YJ was a blast in the summer but looking back, I really loathed it in the fall, winter and early spring. If I ever get a SWB/Wrangler again, it'll be a trailer queen.

What did your OME kit run you, they seem to be really expensive for what you get. I dont even think they come with LCA's do they?

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

$859 with the NitroCharger shocks, t-case drop and JKS Gen II discos included. I originally wanted a Rubicon Express 3.5" kit but since they went into 'reorganizing' I tried to piece together a quality kit myself. All of the other mfg's want to include their arms, track bars, discos, etc and I ultimately plan on hybridizing the entire lift anyway so that I can retain as many parts as possible when I move up to 6" for 35's. When I'm ready for that, the only things I'll have to upgrade are the springs and shocks. Buying a full kit from another mfg would just leave me with parts that won't work on a taller lift, so I figured I'd just spend a little extra on a cush OME kit. I've never used their stuff but they've had a solid reputation forever.

No arms included, so I'll be using the stock ones for a little bit until I get the TnT skid w/Y-link. I drive very infrequently right now so it's not a big deal; I should be rocking the long arms by the end of April at the latest.

Alot of people say the kit rides really nice. I'll be saving up for one of their kits i guess, i was just gonna go with rough country but i might as well spend 300.00 more on a kit everyone says is worth it.

Or atleast run a set of their rear springs with someone elses front coils.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Console. It's a 2000 Cherokee (Were there even ones with steering wheel shift selectors? I've been in ones as early as 1990 and they've all had console shifters)

Police XJ's were usually column shift.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

commissargribb posted:

Well I'm committed now: I bought a Chilton's Manual on Ebay.

I believe you can buy every body panel you need from quadratec.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

benzero posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent seller for used tires? I want to try a set of 265/75/16 before I go for new ones and see if that will be big enough. It's an 05 TJ unlimited with moto metal 951 wheels. I haven't had great luck locally, but I really don't want to pay shipping either.

Ebay is ok, but if you know specific vendors it would help greatly.

You could also get a set of treadwrights retreads. They run around 100.00 a tire.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Local bodyshop guy has a 79 jeep CJ with the 304 in it, with a bunch of edelbrock parts and its been completely repainted and all. Why did i have to find out about this after i bought my XJ :(

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Untagged posted:

Thanks guys. I've been looking at the 2008-2010 range and I couldn't figure out the deal with warranties or transfers of said warranties if it was possible or not to subsequent owners.

Additionally, I've only seen ONE "Certified Pre" vehicle at a dealer.

I'd seriously wait until the 2012 or get a TJ if i was you. The 3.8 in the JK is a gutless wonder. They also had problems with soft metal front covers, but i believe that was fixed in 08. Never seen oil actually leak through a metal before until i had a 07 JK. If you're ever going to take the doors off dont get power windows, makes them pretty heavy.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Braincloud posted:

Correction, the 3.8 is fine if you get a Rubicon. I've NEVER been in my Rubi and thought to myself, wow this thing is slow and gutless. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip around Hells Canyon and had no trouble doing 80 up the mountain passes in a headwind with the top down. So don't believe all the "3.8 is a worthless piece of poo poo" hype. People are just mad and wondering why Jeep did away with the awesomeness of the 4.0L

Also, re: power windows - the weight of the doors is a paltry payoff for the comfort and convenience of my power windows. They're not THAT heavy!

Also, also:

This is at the base of McGraw lookout a few miles down a dirt road from the tourist ridden Hells Canyon Overlook. Notice the lack of other people? It was rad.

Im not believing the hype, i experienced it first hand in a 07 Unlimited X i owned for 3 years. Also the E-throttle is complete bullshit and the motor kills your power at the first sign of the wheels spinning. I went back to a 4.0 powered cherokee, and have no problems with power, the engine does what i tell it to, and it doesnt leak, both from the top and from the motor.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

commissargribb posted:

After the reading I've done on the subject- hell I think when my 4.2 goes I might even repower with a 4.0L. Sounds like the most bang for the buck.

Put 4.2 internals into 4.0, enjoy power.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

ornery owl posted:

I want to tackle this exhaust manifold leak soon, the ticking sound is driving me insane and my fuel economy is defiantly taking a hit.

That APN manifold is going to run me $180, does anyone have a recommendation for something cheaper that isn't junk?

Any thoughts on a Dorman brand? I can get one for about $100 shipped on ebay.

The dorman is fine, its what i replaced the one on my jeep with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
I woke up a few weeks ago to a jeep that didnt start, good battery, just wouldnt start, so callled off work, Pulled NSS, rebuilt it, reinstalled it, No go. Ended up being the starter, so i had to replace that. Gotta love parts that just..Die suddenly.