Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

Original.Evil posted:

and since the engine is an inline 6 I think it will run for a long time.

The engine will run for a very long time, however the carburetor is known to throw temper tantrums fairly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm considering trading in my Corolla for this Jeep: http://tinyurl.com/646jeb
Now, I realize I am going from 32/40mpg to 14/20 or so, but I need something bigger and better in the winter than a FWD car with no ABS. I also plan to start hunting in the fall and something that can go offroad and haul a trailer with bambi on it would be a huge plus as well. Is the Liberty a true Jeep, or should I look for a Grand Cherokee? The one I listed is listed at $8995 for an 02 4x4 Limited with pretty much every option imaginable. Any kind of advice on the Liberty in general would be appreciated. I've read a bunch of reviews, but they're pretty split on whether or not it's actually a good SUV.

You can probably find a '99-'01 Cherokee with that many miles for less money.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
Since I finally got some pictures uploaded, here is my 1999 Cherokee Sport with ~85,000 miles that I bought last year for $5600. It has close to 100k miles on it now and the only thing I've ever done to it was replace fluids and filters. I plan on doing a big tune up next month though, my thought is..

new cap, rotor and wires
replace serp belt
replace water pump

and get some new heavy duty rear leaf springs for that ugly sagging rear rear end.

I bought it from a lady in her 60s that took amazing care of this Cherokee, I mean it was SPOTLESS inside. Over the year my wife has been driving it 98% of the time and she just trashed the hell out of it with her little brothers and sisters. :sigh:

Telven fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 30, 2008

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

OneOverZero posted:

Welcome to the Desert Sand combo club! One of... not loving many.

I'd do anything to have that one back.

The only way I'll be getting rid of mine is when someone has to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
I just got a new fuel mileage record for my Cherokee.

22 mpg. I got that by making a 300 mile round trip going about 67-70 mph, with making a stop or two. Which is pretty drat good considering my 2wd 2.2L S-10 gets about 25 mpg, drat aerodynamics.

Telven fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 7, 2008

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=757699

The owner says that this 1987 Cherokee with 180k miles will pass safety and emissions. I want to buy a old 4x4 as a winter beater, its either that or suffer another northern utah winter in my 2wd Chevy S-10.

I must resist...the....temptation!

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--gxWmJ6po

I have a sudden urge to put a "Canyon Man" decal on the rear window of my Cherokee.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
Well it had to happen sooner or later, but the header on my 99 Cherokee Sport 4.0 is cracked. Does anybody have some websites on where I can order a good replacement? Hopefully one that won't crack in the future :argh:

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

ethanol posted:

I have a 1999 Wrangler Sport. Last week, I noticed that the gauges were dead. Specifically, the needles all pointed to as if they were off, but the backlight and trip computer was still on. Also, when this happens, the airbag light comes on.

This problem is intermittent, although I would say that 50-70% of the time, the gauges are dead. During a drive, they will come alive randomly and then perhaps die again.

What's going on?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1339049

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

charliecantsurf posted:

Does anyone here own one of the CRD libertys? It was a diesel edition that was around in 05- I'm pretty interested in it, but there aren't that many.

From my understanding diesel prices went way up above gas in recent years- Would I be shooting myself in the foot in commiting myself to a diesel rig?

Running biodiesel might be interesting, but I have my doubts to how practical\realistic it is.

Eh, a big red flag goes up in my mind if you notice that they deprecate a lot more than most diesel vehicles out there

I was interested in Liberty CRDs just like you until I googled "Liberty CRD problem". Keep in mind that Jeep Liberties already have tranny problems because they're so heavy for the size, so when the CRD came out they had to do a lot of recalls and neuter a lot of the power it made so that the diesel engine would stop shredding transmissions.

You can't drive it like a gasser either, if you take it on short cold trips you are going to be replacing the EGR valve, a lot.

Besides, you can just go get a late 80s early 90s Wagoneer/Cherokee that gets you 24 city / 32 hwy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_rxGUL3h1w :colbert:

Telven fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 25, 2008

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm not going to post a thread just for it but I am seriously thinking of selling my YJ. I thought I'd mention it here before I go on into the jeep forums to try and sell it.

If you really do plan on getting a XJ as a replacement, my only advice is to be really REALLY patient. There are still tons of XJs out there and you might find a gem like this guy did.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621212

'91 XJ with 72,000 miles for $1900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

Veeb0rg posted:

I believe the 00/01's have a headcracking issue.

jonathan posted:

Thats twice I've heard that now. I will look for a 99, as they got the horsepower boost in 99, but still have the D30 high pinion.

No header is immune from cracking. My 1999 cracked as well.