Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Well, I guess it's time to chime in.

Jeep from Jeep:

Jeep behind Jeep:

Jeeps done:

Oh yeah, and the good stuff. My (wife's) uncle's 1974:

An awesome flatbed Jeep Forward Control FC170 I saw on the side of the road a few years back. I'd love to own one some day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Boomerjinks posted:

Cool, you drive Hound! Or is it Swindle?

More likely Hound, but still the wrong color. I've had that decal on there for about five years, and it's falling off at this point. I'll probably buy another one to replace it ;)

CatBus
May 12, 2001

ethanol posted:

So he quoted me $1700 for the job, which includes a whole new axle, but I forgot to ask which type, D44 or D35. I'm guessing D35 because of the $1700 price.
He told me it was not safe or worth it to rebuild the old one.

Does anybody have any advice on this subject?

Spending $1700, or any money really, to put a Dana 35 back in is tragic. Where are you? Maybe there is a local goon who can help you put in a Ford 8.8 or something. Or keep your eyes open on Jeep forums for a used 44 with matching gears. That would swap right in, and shouldn't take more than an afternoon.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Captain Crunk posted:

I bought a jeep!

Also, I compression tested the engine and got 120PSI in every cylinder. It's a little low, but within spec (120 is the lowest allowed, haha).

Should I just ignore it and turn up the radio? Replace the lifters?

Still love the Jeep, it's just awesome.

Congratulations! It may be something as simple as an exhaust leak (cracked manifolds are a common issue). Those can sound very similar to a lifter tick.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

ornery owl posted:

Yeah, is isn't that. I meant what sort of broken or worn part would cause this.

Bad axle ujoints can definitely cause this.