Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My 2008 Liberty's heater takes a while to get warm, and never really gets hot like it did when I bought it a few years ago. Any idea where I could start looking to find out what's wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

ryanrs posted:

Does it take a long time for the engine temp gauge to heat up, too? I think the standard diagnosis is the radiator thermostat is stuck open, so the coolant takes forever / doesn't get to normal operating temp.

(this is just a guess until more knowledgable people chime in)

Dunno, but there was a problem with the thermostat last summer according to my mechanic, so it was probably replaced. I'll see if putting more coolant in changes anything.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

IOwnCalculus posted:

Three most common causes:

*Your coolant is low
*Thermostat stuck open like ryanrs mentioned
*Heater core is clogged

First is most likely. Second and third are about equal but the second you can diagnose easily with an OBD2 scanner that shows live data. If the engine gets up to at least 180-190 degrees and stays there while driving then the thermostat isn't stuck open.

You can test for a clogged heater core by trying to flush / back flush it.

Least likely in general but still possible is a blend door issue. However this usually results in straight up no heat - on WJs for example, the blend doors fall off and you can't get any heat at all.

I guess I'll try to flush the heater, because I topped off the coolant to get it over the minimum fill, and watched the temp which got around 200 (middle of the gauge).

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

ryanrs posted:

I'm guessing the unspoken part is that the gauge went to 200 F but the heater still wasn't blowing hot?

Oh, yeah. It's still exactly the same where it blows warm (after a while) but never gets hot.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My 2008 Jeep Liberty's fans started acting strangely when I turned the AC on the first time this summer. Air won't blow out of the the top front vents, the ones it normally uses when it's set to blow on your face. No matter which vent I set the dial to, it just uses some combination of the windshield vents and the foot vents with no apparent rhyme or reason. A couple days after this happened I also got the PO481 fault code (Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit). Anyone have an idea what could be going on and whether these issues are related?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
The driver side backseat of my 2008 Jeep Liberty wouldn't fold down yesterday, so I forced it and it seemed to come unstuck and work fine but now it won't lock back into place. It looked like there might have been some grit in the mechanism. Does anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
When the release isn't pulled, it makes a clicking sounds like some kind of ratcheting is happening when I move it around in the locked positions. After just moving it back and forth a bunch if it locked again. Very weird.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

NotNut posted:

The driver side backseat of my 2008 Jeep Liberty wouldn't fold down yesterday, so I forced it and it seemed to come unstuck and work fine but now it won't lock back into place. It looked like there might have been some grit in the mechanism. Does anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

NotNut posted:

When the release isn't pulled, it makes a clicking sounds like some kind of ratcheting is happening when I move it around in the locked positions. After just moving it back and forth a bunch if it locked again. Very weird.

Anyone have an idea what could be going on here? Now the seat is stuck up and won't fold down at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My 2008 Jeep Liberty is getting the ESP indicator and the "SERV 4WD" light. It gives me codes C1404 and C1403, which seem to indicate I need a new transfer case range position sensor. That's this: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-sensor-transfer-case-position~68026952aa.html

But it's discontinued and I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I could get something like that? Or if there's something else I need?