Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

1992 Limited.

My first and current vehicle. No rust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My dad's new ride. 2.5" Skyjacker lift and a few other odds and ends. More pics here.

http://images2.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/viewall.pl?dir=1079_105157

Oh, and this will be a work truck. He's unsure about whether to lose the chrome or not...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Shotgun1337 posted:

Any WJ owners out there with sugestions?

Just a humble XJ owner offering a suggestion (not those tires though):

Also, here are all the stock choices http://www.wjjeeps.com/wheels.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 23, 2008

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

How do you remove the power antenna on an XJ? I've read conflicting reports; some say remove the inner fenderwell, some say the whole fender, and some say go in through the passenger footwell.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I'm looking for a little help on my 92 XJ. There are two very distincly different "clunks" coming from the front end:

1. Right (passenger-side) front end clunks when compressed/decompressed. Very noticeable and you can feel it in the floor. I can't see anything loose or broken.

2. Clunk on tight turns at low speeds coming from the diff. I assume that means it isn't unlocking correctly. Any ideas on a fix?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Vehicle in question:
1992 XJ 4wd

I had a flat tire recently and got ahold of a replacement. What I didn't realize was that the other three tires are probably 75% worn. I know I have a limited slip diff in the rear and I shouldn't put it there, but would it be okay to put it on the front? Is there any type of locker in the stock front axle?

I would buy two new tires but unfortunately they don't make them anymore and it was hard as hell just to find the one. They are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires in size P235/70R15.

Am I going to do damage running a new tire on the front with 3 worn ones? Oh, and the spare is some other oddball tire so that's a no-go as well.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

fordham posted:

You probably won't have a problem unless it's full time 4wd and fully locked all the time? I've got a donut as the stock spare in my 2000 XJ (takes up less trunk room). If you only use 4wd when the driving surface is slick it won't matter a bit. The front diff has to slip in order to turn smoothly anyway in 2wd.

If they are 75% worn it's probably getting time to replace them all before winter comes.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. I wish I could afford 4 new ones right now but I've been jobless most of the summer (pity party) and it's a bit tight. I still have probably an eighth of an inch to the wear bars, so I'll tough it out. Plus, my new drive to work is about 90 seconds. Wish me luck.

Also, what is a reasonable price to have a tire mounted and balanced?

Also x2, can perimeter wheel weights (like this: http://ceh.typepad.com/.a/6a011168d14e29970c01157097f5f1970b-320pi) be responsible for a slow leak? 3 out of 4 of my tires need to have 5 psi or so added every few days and once when I was parked with the wheel weight at the very bottom and the pressure a bit low to start with I could hear air escaping from around it. Should I have the tire place pull all the tires off the wheels and re-balance them with stick on weights?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

incredibull posted:

If you're lucky enough to have a Les Schwab around your parts, they'll usually reseat the bead and replace the valve stem for free. If you want them rebalanced, it's $50 for all four. Pretty hard to beat that deal.
Never heard of Les Schwab (sounds like an investment broker!), looked online, closest one is 1300+ miles away! I'd assume the other wheel/tire megastores in my area (Discount Tire) would be about the same price. Thanks for the info!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

160k and still intact! Do I win a prize?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Kardiac Kid posted:

Funny blurb in an article I read today:

Cherˇoˇkee-itis: A disease that infects the minds, hearts and wallets of Jeep buyers who cannot accept that there was, is, or ever could be a replacement for the Cherokee, sometimes referred to as the XJ.
I'm pretty sure I'm in the terminal stages of this. Sometimes I play the "if I had N dollars to spend on any vehicle, what would I get? For all values of N, I always seem to come back to XJ...

I sometimes toy with the idea of WRX wagon, but then I think about getting 16" of snow last week and driving around like it's clear pavement when everyone else is stuck or unable to leave home.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

cory ad portas posted:

I got some poo poo done this week, Seafoam'd my intake and cleaned my throttle body, and finally got around to replacing 55,000 miles worth of Bridgestone Dueler A/T.

Anyone have any experience with the Firestone Destinations? I got them at a good price, would've preferred another set of Bridgestones but not at almost $160 a tire.
I've got about 5k miles on a set of Destination A/T's and I love 'em. Great traction in the wet, awesome in snow, and pretty quiet on the highway. Definitely worth the $120/tire.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

cory ad portas posted:

Have you tried them in mud/sand at all? So far I like them, and I went up a size so they fill out my lift, but I've only had them for a few hours. Took em through some trails behind my house and they seem like they've got pretty decent bite.
I haven't yet, I'm surprised the ground has even thawed here in Michigan. They'll get some sand use this summer though.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

I already put on a new arm, that's not the problem. The plastic nozzle the tubing goes on snapped off the assembly. Unless I mis-remember, the nozzle doesn't just pop in/out, and is part of the entire mounting part for the arm, meaning I need that entire thing. I wish I'd kept the bit that snapped and just Krazy glued it back in or something.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Wipers/index.html

About 2/3rds down the page (OEM PART# 55000302)

amenenema fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Brake-related question on a 92 XJ (with ABS):

Went to start it and put my foot on the brake to shift out of park. Pedal went soft (and ~3/4 of the way to the floor) and the BRAKE warning light came on. I now have very limited braking power, maybe 25% or less compared to normal. After some poking around I found a hole at the front of the hardline running from the ABS unit to the rear brakes (looks like it had been rubbing against the steering shaft for a while).

Obviously I'm going to replace that 7' section of line, but I'm wondering why I have so little stopping power. It seems like since (I assume) the front brakes are still perfectly functional I should have more stopping power than I do, especially considering it's front discs/rear drums. Am I missing something? Is there some magic happening inside the ABS unit that would cause loss of front brake capability even when it's the rear brakes that seem to be non-functional?

For reference there are two hardlines that run from the master cylinder to the ABS unit, then *something happens*, and then there are three lines that exit, one to each front caliper and a single one to the rear. I'm confident that fixing the rear hardline will fix the problem, I just can't reconcile the symptoms with what seems to be the only issue.