Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A replica car from Twister?

Seriously?

Twister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So uh...

If, theoretically I were to come into the possession of a Patriot, would you guys kick me out of the club?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

autophreak posted:

Well that depends. Are you trading your balls in as part of the down payment.
however if you drive a real jeep and you are just buying this to remain brand loyal with a reasonable gas milage grocery getter, then you are safe.

I'll probably keep the Cherokee as I love her to death and would rather cut off my hand than lose her. The Patriot would be almost totally paid for if I chose to get it. It's complicated, I dont really have a choice in what car I would get in this deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Just thought I would share this with everyone since the talk has turned toward full size jeeps.

Just seeing that makes me dizzy.

Hate heights hate heights hate heights.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

Awesome man, I also own a blue 1987 SWB Comanche with the 4.0, 5-speed, and 4WD. Mine is light blue and is getting pretty rusty, but the bed and underbody are in great shape. I got it 3.5 years ago for $800 and it has been a great vehicle ever since. You can see a picture of it on the first page of this thread. If you ever find yourself a couple of hours south in Fort Wayne I know a couple of trails we could take our 'Manches on. Mine is a base model bare bones heavy metal motherfucker.

Fort Wayne you say?

I also happen to be a Fort Wayne Jeep owner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

Interesting, what area of town do you live in and what kind of Jeep do you drive?

I live right in the center of town, just past the Anthony and Crescent intersection. My trusty steed is a 99 Cherokee Sport. And of things go to plan I'll soon be the proud owner of a totally free 2008 Patriot. But no worries! Still keeping the Cherokee!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need new wheels for my Cherokee!

I lent my Jeep to my sister who proceeded to curb the ever living poo poo out of the passenger side wheels, losing both hubcaps, scouring the tires and gouging the poo poo out of the actual wheels. So I'm pissed but she's going to pay me for the damages so I figure, why not go the distance and finally put some slightly bigger wheels and tires on there?

I'm not thinking a huge lift with 30" tires, just slightly beefier than stock as I don't have time to offroad as much as I'd like. What's I'd like is a reasonable recommendation for mild offroad and daily driving wheel/tire combo. I know you'll all suggest it but I'm not really interested in doing a lift kit, just slightly bigger wheels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrZig posted:

Huge lift with 30" tires? What kind of huge lift are you thinking of? 30" is pretty small in the world of off road tires. If you want slightly larger than stock with NO chance of rubbing, as long as your suspension isnt sagged, then go with 235/75/r15.

30" will be the most a stock cherokee can do with minimal rubbing. 31+ will rub lots without lifts and bumpstopping.

Personally I'd go with 235's if you want no chance, and 30" if you dont mind adding a bigger bumpstop or a washer to your steering stop IF it rubs. Nothing major.

Also for tire choice I'd go with BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO. Very popular tire, long tread life, not much noise, decent off road traction, and good in snow.

I said not huge lift! There's a guy driving around town with a towering Cherokee that looks like it's going to tip over at every turn. I'm not looking to add much more than an inch or two to my ride height. Upgraded suspension is planned as well, probably in the fall.
Something I forgot to ask before, as I've never bought new wheels before ever are there brands I should avoid? What would you recommend in new wheels?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

My old 91XJ.

It had a Pro Comp 2" lift, which was new coils up front add a leaf in the rear. It rode like a tank, but that's why pro comp is called pro crap. Those were AR outlawIIs and BFG 30.9.50s. Ramsey winch and bumper/grille guard.

As for wheels go to 4wd.com or quadratec and look at the wheels there. Since most are jeep centric. I think the pattern should be 5x5.5.

I should've said not to post any pictures.

drat you. Now I want bigger. And a winch. And a new bumper.

drat you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made a thread for this since it's an emergency but I'll post in here as well just in case.

So I'm changing out the wheel bearings on my Cherokee, the driver side goes off without a hitch but I'm stuck on the passenger side. I simply can not get the bearing off no matter what. I almost looks like it's rusted to the brake dust shield. For the life of me I can't get it off and this is m only driveable car.

HELP.

Here's where I'm stuck.

I've tried prying and pounding but it just doesn't want to move. Any suggestions?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sindow posted:

Liquid wrench + crowbar + hammer?

I have no LW and no means of getting to a store to get any. I'm a bit scared to put a pry bar on there as well but if that's the only way it's gonna get done I will do it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There isn't some crazy hidden extra bolt on the passenger side or something?

I've slightly dented the brake dust cover in trying to get this drat thing off.

I'm so hosed. I've really hosed up the old one trying to get it off so there's no way I could eve put it all back together and safely drive it now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got it! I tried the prybar method and it didnt work at first but after a little coaxing (with a hammer) i was able to wedge it in and pry out the old bearing! Thans AI! You guys are life savers!

New smooth riding wonderfullness

She's totally quiet now. Thanks for the assist guys, like i said in my other thread I feel like a real AI poster now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 7, 2008

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay so after yesterday's success I'm starting to feel confident. My Jeep's brakes feel a little soft lately so I figure I'm going to redo the brakes all around, pads, discs, rotors the whole shebang. Once again I turn to you guys for advice.

Are there any brands I should avoid? Any tips for this type of project? Things I should be aware of before I start? Any help/advice is welcome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Post pics! And how much did you pay?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

You could say the Liberty is the succesor to the XJ. When the XJ was retired the Libery took the Cherokee sized hole in the lineup.

But there will always be a Cherokee-sized hole in our hearts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I'm finally getting around to all new tires on the Cherokee. Last time I just bought 2 used tires to get me by but with winter approaching and weekly trips of 80 miles+ I think it's time I bought new reliable tires. I've seen the BF Goodrich tires recommended quite a bit, will I have and regrets with 4 of these under my Jeep?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay problem time.

Yesterday I replaced the upper radiator hose on my 4.0 Cherokee. To do so I had to remove the battery in order to get at the "quick release" clamps. I reinstalled the battery and everything seemed good to go. Stupidly I left my dome light on and the car wouldn't start this morning so I hooked up the battery charger and took my brother's car to work. Now the car won't start unless I pump the gas and only keeps running if I keep pumping. Otherwise it dies immediately.

What did I do to my Jeep?

Alternator?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scrubed posted:

Battery. You can get the goons at auto zone to test it and see if it's fried. If it's not you can trickle charge it and it will work again or you can replace it.

Even though the battery has enough juice to start the car (wont keep running) and run the lights/stereo etc?

I had this same thing happen in my Celica, put in a brand new battery and within 3 days the battery was dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jonathan posted:

Sounds like an alternator to me. What voltage are you getting across the battery terminals while the car is running ? Should be up around 14 volts. If it's less that 12 volts while above 1000rpm then it sounds like you need a new alternator.

I dont have a voltmeter of my own so I can't check. I did run to an Autozone and had them check the battery, it's fine so I'm going with the alternator.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scrubed posted:

if you pull the alternator i think they check those too.

She's up on jacks waiting for me to pull it out in the morning. I'll probably take pictures so you can all laugh at my incompetence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavitron posted:

You should pick up a $10 digital voltmeter while you're at autozone, just sayin.

I did have this thought and snagged one.

xopher.white posted:

tl;dr: Get a "load test" on the battery from a battery store, but keep looking for where the drain is.

Sounds like a good idea.

So it was the alternator, the first one Autozone gave me didn't fit so I had to run back and swap for another one. They felt bad about me wasting my time so they gave me a $5 giftcard. I love autozone!

Anyways, got the new one in, put on the new serpentine bet, buttoned everything up, held my breath and turned the key. Same result as before, sputtere to a stop. Tried again and she stayed alive. Turned it off, turned the key again and she started up strong. Drove around the neighborhood and all seemed good and well. So I'm feeling good about myself when friday night she starts giving me poo poo again, sputtering, only running while gassing etc. On the 6th or 7th try she stayed alive and I made it home and she hasn't done it again since but it's still a concern so I think I'll do that test like xopher suggested.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay new problem.

Prior to my adventures in alternator land my Jeep was making a weird noise. The best way I can describe it is a gurgling noise coming from the engine. I had a pretty bad coolant leak which lead me to finding 2 holes in the upper radiator hose which I replaced but I still have a coolant leak somewhere, it's hitting the fan and spitting all over the engine bay.

Ideas where the leak could be?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Water pump will weep from the bottom I think. If that's it it's an easy fix, 3 maybe 4 bolts total. Do thermostat for shits and giggles.

I checked and didn't see/feel anything on the WP but I'll give it a better look tomorrow in the light.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awesome. The AC unit is dying now. It was smoking earlier today.

I think I might be getting close to the end of my time as a Jeep owner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jack_Handey posted:

Why don't you just go to a junkyard and get an A/C delete pulley?

Been to 2 Pick&Pulls and none of the Cherokees had that.

Question, would the ac unit from a 96 work on my 99? They look the same but the 99is listed as "with clutch" on most sites. I ask because I can score an ac unit for $5.

Question #2, how much as changed on the 4.0 motor from 93-99? I ask because I can not find a AC bypass for a 99 Cherokee.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 9, 2009

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well gently caress.

The AC unit seized and my serpentine belt snapped. Now I need help. I have a 99 Cherokee with the 4.0 and I've been searching for a week now and I can not find any info on bypassing the AC or an AC delete pulley.

Help?

Without spending $200+ on a new condenser + labor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AC Compressor removal and bypass

Seized Compressor.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Purged and unbolted.

Sexy new bracket and pulley.

All buttoned up and running again. Cold air is for jerks!

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

This now concludes our session of rookie Jeep repairs. Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction for how to fix this. I apologize for my cluelessness, I'm still learning.

And I know the engine bay is a mess. I've had a mess of coolant leaks that I still can't track down.

Now who wants to teach me how to fix vacuum lines?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

incredibull posted:

That is one awful coolant leak, wherever it is.

The upper radiator hose split open and sprayed everywhere. It was really bad. When I open the hood it literally hit me in the face.

Also my crank pulley decided it wanted to be closer to the bumper today. I've been informed it's my harmonic balancer so it looks like I'll be replacing that and then I think I'm done. This is too many things breaking in too short of a time. I'm definitely selling the car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jonathan posted:

It doesn't make sense to sell it after fixing all the things that go wrong with it...

Well I'll be honest man. I'm just not confident in my abilities as a mechanic to keep doing this. I can pretend I know what I'm doing but in the end it seems likely that the things I've fixed are causing more problems.

I fixed my upper radiator hose. Next day I find out i left the dome light on and my car won't start. Ends up the alternator is dead. Replace that and then 3 days later my AC Compressor starts smoking. Then seizes and the new belt I put in snaps on me. I swapped that out for the bypass pulley and now the crank is protruding.

Seriously every time I fix something I break something else. I'd rather see it go to a good home with an owner who's not a loving moron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

incredibull posted:

It's likely that the coolant corrosion shown in your pics killed all of these things.

While I don't doubt this it was just the timing of things that makes it feel more like my own doing. I was spraying down the engine to clean off the coolant every other day while I searched for the leak.

1. Left the light on (never done that before) and the alternator died.

2. Put in the new alternator, 3 days later the AC compressor starts smoking (think the clutch went). I assume I over tightened the belt.

3. Swap in the AC bypass pulley and now the damper pops loose. Again I figure I over tightened the belt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just finished a day of frustration working on the jeep. Swapped out the harmonic balancer and she's once again running very quietly.

I'm sticking with it guys, I decided that it would indeed be stupid to sell it after putting all this time in and learning how to fix these things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I'm in the market for a winter beater/errand car and I came across this Comanche

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

It's a 4x4, 171K, auto trans. The seller is asking $1200 OBO, I'm was gonna offer $900, does that sound fair?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Is it a 4.0? I see a lot of 4-cyl Comanches, but they usually have a stick. That being auto I would guess it is 4.0. That is a good price if it's a driver with no major issues.

It is indeed a 4.0. I wouldn't even bother if it was the 4 cyl. He sent me a few more pictures and I don't see any rust or massive damage. My Cherokee still runs great but it's my primary vehicle and I don't want to trash it if I get careless while offroading.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the Comanche seller has dropped his asking price to $1000. Now I'm thinking offering $750-800. I don't want to lowball the guy but the mileage is pretty high and there's a few spots of rust forming on the read wheel wells. Thoughts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fordham posted:

Where can I get this mystical 08 TD Cherokee??? Do you mean Grand Cherokee? I never heard of an Overland Cherokee either.

The Liberty is still called the Cherokee overseas as far as I know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

Got a driveway? Bolt the drat thing to the ground with big-rear end chains wrapped around the axles. You'll need to cut and pour some concrete forms into the ground with big closed eye loops on them to attach the chains. It'll work though.

I love this idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dividend Special posted:

^^^
tell us how to do that for $50

Yes. I've had 2 more potential Commanche's pop up in the area and either one will need paint.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SentinelXS posted:

My XJ actually has numerous minor problems but the heat one is the worst. Power side mirrors adjustment has never worked for as long as I can remember. Passenger power window switches work intermittently, but the driver's side master controls always work. Rear hatch struts don't hold it open anymore. Driver's side door lost the door brake and it won't stay open either.

Are you sure this post isn't about my XJ? I have the exact same problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rolled up behind this guy today.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Yup. That is a homemade Wrangler top.