Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
How do i putted jeeps back together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

Heavier transmission what-what? You sound like a wealth of information on this, I'd love to hear any/all advice you have on the subject. My best friend's uncle is a jeep and 4x4 fanatic (builds his own dune buggies from scratch) who would likely be willing to help me with such a swap, but if it isn't just the engine, but also a transmission... sounds like more trouble than it's worth? Or maybe the appeal of a $150 engine goes out the window when I also have to acquire a transmission

The 4 cyl Wrangler/XJ comes with an AX5 transmission, the 4.0 comes with the AX-15 which is a much, much stronger tranny, strong enough to hold up to a Small Block Chevy even. The AX5 is trash.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Slack3r posted:

I would advise AGAINST towing a car on on a car-dolly with the small Cherokee. They are awfully light in the rear end-end and towing something like a car would be asking for trouble. Now, I have towed a Dodge Caravan about 15 miles with my 1984 Cherokee and a tow-rope. But even that was asking for some kind of trouble. Anyone have the towing caps for the various small Cherokees??

5000 lbs with the I6, I wouldn't tow a drat thing with an 84 though.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I'll try to take some pictures of my 1985 Cherokee Laredo when I get home.

Picked it up for $1000 and its in awesome condition for its age, but the V-6 in it it shortly going to be replaced, right now its just a debate of what engine to use:

Engines I'm looking at:

Chevy V-6 6.2l Diesel
Chevy V-6 6.5l Diesel
Mazda RF I4 2.0 Diesel
VW 1.8 I4 Diesel

Choices choices.....and crossposting in my own thread! :(

Cummins 4BT, NV4500 transmission, end of story.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

BUT I am keeping the AX15 Manual tranny I have, using an adapter plate or getting a new bellhousing

The AX-15 is known to hold up to V8 power, but the 4bt might kill it real quick. Why don't you just build a 4.7 Stroker?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Hence why I am going with the VW Diesel, its closer to the original V-6 I have and has slightly higher torque (not enough to do damage though)

VW Diesels are cool in Suzukis, but I'd rather keep my 4.0 which stomps the VW diesel in power and has just as much torque. Why not put in a Camaro 3.4 V6? It'll bolt right in where the once fearsome 2.8 was.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

leica posted:

Don't tempt me, my wife will kill me if I don't finish work on the house. No Jeep projects for awhile. :(

This one is cool but it costs over a grand for the carrier+bumper.

There's got to be something similar for less, it's just welded square steel stock for Christ's sake.

You could try to find a factory tire carrier at a junkyard, but they're not very strong, and hard to find. Check out Rugged Ridge, they should have one for not too much, but it won't be anywhere near the quality of a Warn bumper.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Jesus, they'll really take 33" stock? That seems like a stretch.

They have leafs all around, so lifts are cheap and easy.

Nope, they definitely will take 33's stock, I put a set on one once, currently my XJ Cherokee is sitting on 33's with only a 3" lift.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Yeah just went out and took these with my lovely cameraphone:

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I love the gladiator that has just the center grill like a m715.

Interestingly, since basically nothing changed from the late 60's till the early 90's, with little modification you can fit any year grille on any year FSJ.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

A few websites that would be good for finding people and places to wheel are jeepforum, naxja and expeditionportal. All of them are full of friendly people and great advice.

Trust me, just skip the poo poo and go straight to Pirate4x4.com. If you get into wheelin' enough you'll end up posting there and nowhere else anyway.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My Cherokee has been blowing oil out of the dipstick tube as of late and has been making a big mess. I've checked the PCV hoses and they're all clean, I don't know what it is :(

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Here's what I'm currently building at work: http://rubitrux.com/

RubiTrux, a crazy scheme made up by my boss to make modern day CJ8's. They don't seem to be selling very well.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Disciple of Pain posted:

Strut bearing, maybe? They sometimes make clunking noises. Jack up the front wheels and see if you can move the strut in the tower. You shouldn't be able to.

Cherokees don't have struts or strut towers, unless you're talking about shocks. Check and make sure your trackbar is tight on the axle end, make sure your upper and lower control arm bushings are okay, and check and see if your motor mounts aren't shot, those things are the most common source of clunking on an XJ.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Boggler posted:

Here's my recently sold '98 TJ on 35's.. I miss it.

I think I saw that jeep sitting at the mall the other day...

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Are you not taking the transfercase out of the jeep to do this? It's stupidly easy to do, and it'll make it a lot easier to put it back together that way.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Guess what guys, I killed a 4.0 today. I loving hydrolocked it and threw the #1 rod straight out of the oilpan. Anyone want to buy my Jeep for parts?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

The King of Swag posted:

You must have completely filled the cylinders with water. Wow.

Thats the thing, I didn't, only the first cylinder had water in it, and I didn't dare to try and start it without pulling the plugs first. When I cranked it over to shoot the water out I heard an awful CLUNK and looked at the oilpan and saw two holes in it right under my #1 cylinder. I must've just gotten really unlucky because I've had Jeeps get a LOT more water in them and run fine afterwards, and I've definitely been through deeper holes and been fine.

So really, how much do you guys think I could get for a stripped 91 XJ with a blown motor, AX15 tranny, 3" lift, almost new 33's, non-disco 30 front, and a welded D44 rear?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I'd purchase it if you live within 200 miles of me, needed one with an AX15 for my next conversion project

I'm in central NC, I'm going to part it out, anyone wants it, they can get it.

MORE BAD NEWS:

In between getting my jeep stuck last night and this morning, some fuckers stole my brand new goddamn TrXus 33's off of my jeep. So now it's sitting on its frame, blown engine, in the middle of the goddamn woods.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Find someone to take you to Autozone and rent a claw puller, it has 3 claw like arms that will grab on to the hub, and a big bolt in the middle that you put on the axleshaft, tighten down the bolt, and it'll pop it out. That's what I had to do to my wheel bearings when even an Oxy/Acetyline torch wouldn't make it budge.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Has anyone heard of someone swapping a 4.2 long block into a Jeep that previously had a 4.0? I can probably get a running 4.2 for basically nothing, and I know the 4.0 head bolts on, but what about the crankshaft and all that?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

The King of Swag posted:

A 4.2/4.0 hybrid is actually what the 4.6l Stroker is. The reliability of the 4.0L with a lot more power. Supercharge it on top of that and you get into small-block power.

I meant a 4.2 block and internals with a 4.0 head in a Cherokee. What would I have to do to make it fit?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/747116649.html

I'm about to buy this tomorrow, can you guys tell if it's a Renix or a HO by looking at it? I can't quite tell, but I think it's a Renix, which makes me kinda sad because I told the guy I wanted it.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Did you ever end up buying it? I just spied a stroker.

I picked up a '98 4.0 from a buddy in Greenville for the princely sum of $250. I've got my old engine and tranny out but I've got to put it all back together now... before friday. I'm not looking very forward to it and frankly I'm putting it off as much as possible.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

I was supposed to have the new (old and used) engine in ol' Stinkyjeep today, but I found out the hard way that a pilot bearing for a '91 AX15 will not work in a '98 crankshaft, and a '98 pilot bearing won't work either. What the gently caress jeep? The '91 Pilot bearing has an OD of 1.054" and the '98 has an OD of 1.000", I'm gonna make that somebitch fit somehow.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

I can't get my drat jeep to start after the engine swap. Any help you guys? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2915306

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

be Creative posted:

This is a pretty easy question I think, but I could not find the answer through searching google and jeep forum.

How big is the fuel tank on my 1999 XJ?

Thanks in advance

20 Gallons

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Can you guys list some good jeep forums. I love pirate but I'm not about to boatside my yj and dovetail the rear end end while doing a 3/4 elliptical suspension in the rear.

I'm looking for a nice mid level base of posters, above YO DESE FLATPANELS IN MY DASH ARE TYTE BRAH but below I BUILT THIS JEEP FROM SCRATCH.

I used to frequent jeepforum and still look at NAXJA from time to time, but in all honesty, everyone who starts off on places like Jeepsunlimited or JF ends up at Pirate anyway. Look for local jeep club sites like nc4x4.com, usually they have good message boards with a lot of diverse stuff, not to mention people who are local to you that can actually help you.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Polish posted:

:(

Lame.. time to go look for those BFGr 235s mentioned earlier..

...gently caress me suspension lifts are expensive.

If you know what you're doing you can build your own 3" kit for really cheap using junkyard parts, 3" is good enough to fit 33's with a bit of trimming.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Get the 235's, or even go up another size to 30x9.50x15, they will fit on a stock XJ, my friend's mom DD's a 2001 XJ with 30" michelins. I've even driven around a stock XJ with 265/75/16's, but I wouldn't really recommend that.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

pr0zac posted:

Anyone know how the heck to tighten the parking brake on an XJ? It looks like theres supposed to be some sort of adjustment screw on the back drums, but looking around last night I couldn't find the thing. Probably need to go grab a Haynes manual.

Follow the parking brake cables up to above the rear driveshaft. You'll see where the two cables attach to this bracket, and there are two nuts holding it onto a long threaded piece that comes out of the ebrake hole in the floor. Tighten that up, but be careful not to get it too tight.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Blackmage Yapo posted:

So thoughts on my selections? Good and/or bad companies to buy from? Think there is a better product for my application? Think I'm dumb for even attempting this on my budget?

Just go for a 2" budget boost, which is 4 coil spacers ($100), and 4 new shocks (~$150). With that you'll be able to run 33's, and you can get a set of lightly used mud terrains with the remainder if you look around on craigslist or know some people in the off-roading scene.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

D35's are junk. I drive a welded D44 on 33's on the street and haven't had any problems.

By the way, does anyone want to trade me a stock 8.25 with a lockright for my D44?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Speed and power, that is EXACTLY what I think of with my '97 ZJ. :downs:

Hey, it was a huge improvement over the GM 2.8 V6 that had a whopping 115 horsepower the years before. The 4.0 was more powerful than the V8's that they sold in the Grand Wagoneers the same years.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

leica posted:

OK, since the jerks at NAXJA won't help me, I'll put this question here.

I have a brand new set of Bridgestone all terrains, size 235/75/15. I was going to put them on the stock wheels, but i've decided to get a set of Cragar black steelies instead and put my stockers on my beater jeep since the wheels are hosed.

Here's my dilemma. 7 or 8 inch? Are 8 inch too wide or just right?

Also, there's a choice of offset between 4 1/2 and 4 3/4. Which is the correct offset for a 99 XJ?

Go for the 7 inch unless you plan on getting larger tires in the future, then I'd go with the 8" wide. I ran 33x12.50's on factory 15x7 wheels with no problems though.

As far as offset goes, factory is 5.25" of backspacing for all Wranglers (pre-JK) and Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, 4 1/2 is nice if you want to run bigger tires in the future because you won't rub on the control arms when turning, but they'll stick out a little bit more than stock.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Why did people poo poo the bed about running 33s on 15x8s on JU. Talking about blowing a bead on 8" wheels and that a 10 is really needed for 33s.

I'm confused.

I was mad cause I thought I was gonna hafta get new wheels for 33s.

JeepsUnlimited is full of retards first and foremost, but in reality, running 33's on a 7 or 8" rim is better because it's much harder to pop a bead than with wider rims. The tire also balloons out over the rim too, making it a lot harder to scrape up your wheels, and personally, I think it looks a lot better than a 33x12.50 on a 10" wide wheel, all stretched out and whatnot.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

leica posted:

poo poo, I already ordered 8" but I think I'm gonna change it because a friend of mine has 30's on 8 inch wheels and they look stretched out to me.

This offset poo poo confuses me, aren't I risking unnecessary wear on the bearings if the offset is off too much?

[edit] gently caress too late, order already shipped. I'm starting to wonder if I should just send them back and get stock wheels. What a pain in my rear end.

What backspacing did you order? 4.5" backspacing on steelies won't look bad, but instead of getting 235's you should get some 30x9.5x15's, they'll fit a stock jeep, especially with those wheels, and it'll look a lot better.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

incredibull posted:

Speaking of which, I've been looking for the "best" Jeep forum, and haven't really found it. Most seem either too unfriendly to those who aren't building all-out rockcrawling, or are full of complete retards that can't make a single legible post.

Any suggestions? I just want some place that has good tech info where I won't get bashed for having less than 33s on my Jeep.

Also, why the hell are all of the Jeep forums so obsessed with :911:

Jeepforum is okay, and so is NAXJA.org if you have an XJ, but the reality is there really isn't a great jeep forum out there unless you're leaning towards the more hardcore stuff, or at least I haven't found one yet.

Pirate4x4.com is my favorite though, it might be a little more advanced for your tastes, but you'll learn so much, as long as you keep your mouth shut :\

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

leica posted:

Alright, who the hell is RyleyF over in the NAXJA forums. Posting the AI moniker in the HHO thread kind of gave it away. :v:

[edit] And who's mattbred posting speed and class. C'mon owe up. :colbert:

Okay I confess, I'm RyleyF, what's up :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

how many naxja members we got here?

I've been a member there for about 4 or 5 years now, but I'll never pay to be a real "member" there. About 3 years ago I posted a picture of my Jeep with a NAXJA sticker in the window, which I paid for... and everyone there threw a loving shitfit because even though I had the sticker I wasn't a paying member. I hate that kind of elitism, it's just unnecessary.